Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ninjewtsu posted:

So that re:zero ova has been out for a while, but last I checked the only subs available for it were godawful. Is that still the case?

If you mean Memory Snow, no, there's good subs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is honestly a great move, not only will it mean everyone has S1 fresh for S2, it lets them add stuff that got cut from the adaptation. I haven't read the novels but from posts in the last thread apparently some really important setup got cut so I'm guessing that's the main point for this.

It also feels extremely fitting for Re:Zero of all things.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm honestly surprised this is the only series so far to do it, at least from the ones I follow. I expected this to happen everywhere, considering how hard anime relies on outsourcing to Chinese and Korean studios.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Grouchio posted:

(Surprised there aren't more fans here)

I've been busy all day but I swear I'll watch the episode and post about it as soon as I can. I am super interested in what was added here since I'm not a LN reader so I have no idea what wasn't adapted before.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's so close, just another month. It was a long wait but I'm sure it'll be absolutely worth it, the trailer already hypes me up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Spanish Matlock posted:

So no one's gonna ask why only this one guy remembers the girl?

Subaru has shown himself to have unusual knowledge several times at this point, especially during the fight against Betelgeuse and the White Whale, and he's only ever used that knowledge for good.

At some point you just kind of shut off any disbelief and accept this weird random guy with an unusual name is truthful even if nothing he says really makes much sense.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I have no doubts Subaru is Pride. I have a lot of doubts over why and how Subaru is Pride. Unlike the rest of the Witch Cultists, he has absolutely no idea of his role or of how he got into it in the first place, he was seemingly dragged in by Satella despite not being devoted to her or even knowing of her existence, much less of her cult.

His connection to Satella, his dark magic, his ability to nullify the traits of the other sins (being able to see the Unseen Hand and being able to remember those erased from history by Gluttony), and Return by Death all indicate that Betelgeuse was not wrong, even if he lacked a lot of information that Subaru himself, and the audience, lacks.

It makes for a very compelling mystery, which, as far as we know, no one other than a character who doesn't even seem to physically exist can answer as of now.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LostRook posted:

Here's a subbed version of the newest break time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA8nMiiU5AE

Goddamn those subs are bad. It took some effort to read them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's at least one other very heavy-handed hint, and while a sharp-eyed viewer could have caught this on their own I'm going to err on the side of caution since I didn't see it until it was pointed out to me.

All the archbishops are named after stars / constellations.

I didn't notice that despite being really obvious in hindsight, so thanks for pointing it out! I was already convinced either way but that makes it even more clear that Subaru is, if unwillingly so, Pride.

Hogama posted:

At a guess here, the Cult doesn't presume to formally have an Archbishop of Envy because of Satella.

I thought the same. It's completely logical, Satella doesn't need someone below her taking her role, so Envy stands over the rest as her own title.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

M_Gargantua posted:

Envy is us, the audience

Subaru is like the one isekai protagonist I'd never want to be though. I like living, and I do not like dying, and he does that second one a lot.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It might be a mis-romanization of Stella, a girl's name that also means "star."

I don't have much Japanese knowledge so I may be wrong here, but I believe Stella would be ステラ (Su-te-ra) while Satella is サテラ (Sa-te-ra). Romanizing the former into the latter would be wrong.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Annointed posted:

gently caress just trying to do your best but you're slowly getting worse at everything, and then just giving up gets to me.

Story of my life, really. Had my parents been less strict, I don't doubt I would've gone down the same path of abandoning school and shutting myself off. It's a bit too real.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm glad this has finally explained that there's at least one thing that Subaru's time loops can never change. Ram will always be cute.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That last Break Time was way too intense considering the rest were short joke episodes. Otto's way too cool.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kazy posted:

...could Beatrice be the Black Serpent?

Unlikely. All the beasts were created specifically as ways to erase hunger, which Beatrice doesn't fit. Beatrice's "mother" is almost definitely Echidna, both have the same absolute need for knowledge, and Roswaal clearly has a strong connection wtih Echidna.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Please keep posting the Break Times, they're very good and cute.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nitrousoxide posted:

So Echidna seems to also imply that Subaru isn't really traveling through time per se but jumping cross parallel universes and leaving the hosed up ones behind when he dies.

If this is so it's extremely hosed up and puts a whole new twist on him trying to avoid getting killed.

Roswaal had already reached the same conclusion despite not knowing about Return by Death. After all, he said that he wouldn't accomplish his goals, but the next him would. He was fully aware that the different loops had different "themselves", rather than just being plain resets. Echidna's visions only confirm that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Disconnecticus posted:

I hope we eventually get a read on why Elsa is so mind-bogglingly overpowered. So far Julius is the only one who has been a match for her.

Reinhard. Julius hasn't met Elsa.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HppyCmpr posted:

I didn't really understand the significane of Roswall removing his make up mid conversation with Subaru.

I just took him as him dropping the mask, both figuratively and literally (hence no more make-up). He also stops talking in his silly, exaggerated way and talks completely normally (for a completely insane man) at that point. Subaru has disappointed him, and he has no reason to play the fool anymore, so he shows his true colours as he never does normally.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Annointed posted:

Pandora must have limits. No way if she wanted the key that badly that she wouldn’t have just forced Emelia to open the gate. It could be like some fundamental force or rule that prevents her from doing what she wants. Also drat what a twisted monster gaslighting Betelgeuse into becoming another tool for her own ends.

Either you or I are misunderstanding the mechanics of the key here because I had a completely different interpretation of why Pandora doesn't open the door herself. I thought she genuinely couldn't, but not because of any mythical thing binding her, rather, it's the fact that Emilia is the only one that can do it. The key isn't invisible - it has no physical form. The only one that can create and interact with it is Emilia. There's no way to force her to open the door, because you can't just steal the key that exists for one person alone.

Pandora tried everything in her power to convince Emilia (twisted as every single method was) because that was the one and only way to get what she wanted. And once it was clear she couldn't do anything, she left, making sure Emilia would forget her because otherwise the next time she tried, it'd just be a repeat of this one.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Grouchio posted:

Wait wait wait a second. Did any of you catch Echidna's voice when that Ryuzu was thinking to herself?

I did. But seeing how the Ryuzus were always meant to be bodies for Echidna, it didn't surprise me. It's clearly setting up for Echidna coming back, but it's not exactly subtle about it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Starsnostars posted:

Is today's episode the last episode of the season?

It's the last, yeah. We're hitting cour end so a lot of series are ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LostRook posted:

And while this episode was completely positive, just like season one it's only because a lot of the plot hooks were dropped to make for a feel good finale.

I hope that means we get a Director's Cut of this season before S3 just like before, S1's was really good to remind me of what had happened before after so many years.