Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCXlrNYghHs

Re:Zero is an isekai with the premise that whenever the main character dies in this world via some kind of bullshit, or, more commonly, his own drat stupidity, he is resurrected to try again some amount of time in the past. This act is apparently performed by Satella, the Jealous Witch and most reviled person in the world whose very presence is found sickening.

We last left our hero having saved Emilia from near certain death at the hands of the dastardly witch cult, slaying Petelgeuse Ranee-Conti, the witch cult leader of sloth, in the process, as well as the White Whale, a legendarily powerful beast. The process to determine the next sovereign of the Kingdom of Lugunica remain ongoing.

Characters

Subaru Natsuki
Our beloved hero! A former shut-in that was teleported to a fantasy world from our own. He is incredibly prideful, and fanatically devoted to Emilia. Doesn't seem to realize that he should probably throw away that horribly cursed book he's carrying around. He also bears the unmistakable stench of the Jealous Witch.

Emilia
A half-elf with silver hair in a world where everyone is super-racist against half-elves with silver hair. She is a candidate for ruler of Lugunica.

Rem and Ram
Twin maids that work for Emilia. Rem killed Subaru once for the aforementioned witch-stink, but is now in love with him.

Felt
Another candidate for Ruler. A disaffected member of the underclass who has vowed to destroy the kingdom if elected.

Reinhard van Astrea
The Sword Saint and scion of the prestigious van Astrea swordsmen. The strongest knight that ever was, is or will be with the kind of power that affects the security of entire kingdoms. Extremely friendly and easygoing despite that. He is currently supporting Felt in the ruler elections.

Satella, The Jealous Witch
S̶̥̱̻̹̦̹̦̣̽̀͛͐̅̏͑̂́̚͟ă̗̲͍̖͚͉̪̪͋̽̈͜͜͞t͉̭̜͓͎̓̈̈́͊̀ͅè̜̮̬̙̩̅̈̄͊̎̍l̵̢̨̢̛̛̺̮̙̯̀̔͆͐̓̊l̵̺̪̺̤̺̲̃̔̽̿̀͗̏ͅa̸̖̼̗̟͉̺̿̀̇́́̚ Ľ̗̖͇̯͕̆̾̇̏̓̏͞͡ő̸̪̳̩̋̇̃̉̍̏̎̕͘͜͟ṿ̡̩̱̼̱͓͐͐̐̿̿͢ͅę̷̩͍̪̺̟̜͙͎̭̒̃̋̐͑̓̎͞͝s̢͙͖̰̪͍̃̔͒̀̏̎̒͡ Ÿ̷͚͖͇̰͈̀̌͑̃̇̐͞o̶̡̦̠̗̖͇̳͎͊̾̒͒́͛͌̀͘͡ͅu̷̡͎̝̳̬͚̟̓͂͊̓̀̆̔̕̚͜

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Grouchio posted:

AnoHito, what do you propose should be the spoiler policy? Warnings before spoilers? Business as usual? No headbutts?

I can probably answer many questions about future content.

Spoiler and mark them as LN/WN spoilers. If someone looks after that, it's on them.

Generally try not to go on about them forever for no reason, though, since the vast majority of posters itt are gonna be anime only

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 23, 2019

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Conspiratiorist posted:

I don't know about the web novel, but in the anime and LN there's no Truck-kun involved; he crossed between worlds instantly and without fanfare.

Yeah, I remember in the anime he was super confused/disoriented about it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

LostRook posted:

I'm guessing we start with the alternate history vignette.

I think this would be hideously and, dare I say, unnecessarily cruel!

...they're totally gonna do it, aren't they?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

just got around to watching the directors cut over the past couple days, just in time for the new eps.

I'd forgotten how loving good this show is.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

So I assume Subaru remembers the forgotten because he's outside of the normal flow of time?

I assumed it was because Satella has graced him with her wondrous and bountiful love, same as the reason he could see Betelgeuse's arms.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Spanish Matlock posted:

So no one's gonna ask why only this one guy remembers the girl?

Everyone just kind of accepts that Subaru is super weird and seems to know a ton of random things that he really shouldn't know. Either that or they might just think he's delusional, which given his actions in the "true" timeline, not exactly a far-out idea.

Watching that one edit with all the failed timelines cut out gives you a much better look at how everyone looks at Subaru, ie a complete nutjob that somehow manages to be right about the strangest things.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mindblast posted:

And who made that? :colbert:

I will state that I have only ever seen the anime and know absolutely nothing important in terms of spoilers.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Grouchio posted:

Once again I request a LN/WN thread for the knowledgable. I have many things to discuss and speculate regarding this adaptation.

:justpub:, considering I don't think anyone else will make one.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It probably also doesn't help that her own introduction was basically "Hello, I am incredibly evil! Would you like my advice on the current situation?"

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yawgmoft posted:

The real question in a new arc is how far back will he have to go.

I have a feeling it's definitely not going to be nice enough to checkpoint him at a spot where he'll get to redo his audience with the witch and actually ask questions.

Serves him right for shunning yet another wonderful witch's love.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Raxivace posted:

Witches are good, and our friends.

:hai:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yawgmoft posted:

I'm wondering if there's a twist coming that all the witches were actually good, but women with power = bad and the real antagonist has yet to be seen. That list Envy rattled off wasn't exactly a laundry list of evil, but she still referred to herself as doing evil things, so I don't think it was revisionist.

It actually looks more like they all committed evil acts, but in the name of good. For example, GluttonyWitch created monsters so people wouldn't starve, LustWitch apparently created beastmen, etc. Kind of willing to bet Echidna is selling herself short, too, especially considering that Roswaal seems to respect her quite a bit.

I'm kind of guessing there was a lot more to Satella killing them all, like maybe she did it specifically to get everyone to hate her and become a common enemy for the world.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

This one hit way too close to home for me. The panic attacks, refusal to go outside, failure to live up to expectations, all of it basically felt like it was about my life almost exactly, and all of it was portrayed pretty much flawlessly.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The amount of faith Roswaal has in Subaru makes me suspect he might know more than he's letting on. I mean, Subaru was entirely correct that he was a worthless weakling before he went through the events like 5 times, there was no reason for Roswaal to believe his plan would work unless he knew something wasn't quite as it appeared.

I'm also not entirely certain that him being there would have done much of anything. Sloth was kind of, you know, really hard to beat. I would almost say impossible, if you didn't know everything about him ahead of time and also couldn't just see his main power. He also had no way of knowing that the whale would show up and make things about 100 times harder. Or that Subaru would be such a monumental fuckup that Emilia would abandon him, for that matter.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Ram has always been better than Rem. Rem is an insecure little crybaby, while Ram is the super cool confident woman with a good sense of humor who knows and accepts all of her own faults.

Garfield has good taste/owns.

MonsterEnvy posted:

On her downsides she is attracted to people in clown makeup.

what do you mean downsides?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Jon Joe posted:

In this essay on clowns in anime, I will

:frogon:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Armani Glasses posted:

I think she mentioned it on her first meeting too, possibly episode 1 or 2? But it's not been elaborated on much.

I think Beatrice was the one who mentioned it.

How can Echidna be the best when she doesn't even have the guts to confess like her much superior colleague?

Bet she doesn't even spread her love around to many completely sane and level-headed devotees...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pretty sure the trials are generally the same for everyone: "Face the worst part of your past (and presumably present and future)"

I think Emilia's past is just more painful than most.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kung Food posted:

Also can we talk about how awful the existence of Subaru is? The anime doesn't convey it that well, but in the LN is explains that there is no gap between horrific death and reset. That his dying is just as traumatic as regular dying even though he knows he reincarnates. He went from slowly ripped apart by bunnies to laying next to Emilia as on one uninterrupted chain of events.

I really like this part if the show. It does a pretty great job of framing the deaths as a horrific thing that he would never take lightly. It stands out really well in the few instances where he kills himself, and you see the huge amount of hesitation, where even though he knows he's going to come back, he's fighting against every last instinct he has when he does it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kingnothing posted:

The gently caress?

Yeah, I can't believe this is a cursed world without pizza, and Subaru focused on making mayo instead LIKE A SCRUB.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Elephant Parade posted:

no, because Return by Death is a very nasty "gift" that broke Subaru apart, whereas Echidna put him back together again. The self-destructive nature of Return by Death has left Satella a murky figure from the start; Echidna hasn't done anything similar.

I mean, without it he’d just be dead, and I don’t think that Subaru is so suicidal that he’d prefer death to the current situation.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I wonder what effect it'd have on someone like Puck.

I think there was a Q&A thing where the author said if he tried to tell Reinhard or someone like that the witch would just kill Barusu instead. Of course if Reinhard or someone equivalent were around to listen, he probably wouldn't need to die anyway...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

With how much Roswaal is devoted to Echidna, I wonder if there's cults/followings for each of the witches and not just Satella (PBUH).

I would also like to randomly point out that the author has almost certainly come up with 42 different nicknames for what each of the witches calls the others.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I don't get it, why does everyone think Typhon is evil? She didn't actually hurt Barusu at all. So far, the most "evil" witch is Daphne, and even she wasn't completely terrible.

I would also like to point out that, so far in the story, Satella hasn't actually done anything other than make Barusu functionally immortal. Most everything else about her has been second/third hand stories from people that already hate her and everything she stands for.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Clarste posted:

Subaru is only in any particular danger because he insists on sticking with Emilia, who is constantly in mortal danger at all times. If he just walked away he could easily live in peace. He always has a choice.

Yeah, she's given him immortality with a couple of frankly not very limiting rules (no telling anyone and you still have to eat the pain of death). The fact that he keeps dying to the point of driving himself insane and also decided to go hunting for bullshit loopholes is entirely on him.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Subaru was broken into pieces. Echidna stated that the concept of death does not exist in the tea party space, so presumably had he been in the real world, he would have died when he shattered in a gory mess.
Even if that is not the case, he could not put himself back together, Minerva had to come and restore him.
Presumably when she was a alive she went around shattering people if they felt any guilt about their actions. While incredibly alien and not malicious, I can't really call that anything but evil.

I assume she knew he'd get better. The witches seem to understand the nature of where they are.

quote:

Satella apparently destroyed half the world before being sealed. So that sounds pretty bad. And we just saw her in the most recent episode covering the land in shadows, that are presumably fatal if you get sucked in.

The main source of that story seems to be "The people that sealed her away," though. And I hardly call that unbiased. "Yeah she was totally gonna destroy the whole planet, so we put her down because we're so awesome. now kneel before us." seems like a plausible origin for the kingdom.

I'm also going to reserve judgement on her current rampage at the very least until she does something other than spew some smoke that may or may not even do anything and say "I love you" a few times.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Annointed posted:

I hope Felt is having a good time, whatever she's doing.

I'm sure she's having just a swell time making a bunch of nobles/knights clean the toilets and generally making a complete mockery of the royal selection process.

Man, I'd totally watch an OVA about that.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Ah, finally we're going to get to have a proper conversation with the best witch.

Also strange how Typhon just seems completely stoked to see her...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

You'd think he'd at least ask "and what do you get in exchange?"

You know, like with any contract/deal. Dude makes Faust look like a genius negotiator by comparison.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I really hope there's some actual plan for Otto and Subaru doesn't honestly expect him to solo Garfield...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm actually kind of disappointed by Otto's backstory. I feel like he was a much better character when he was just a regular-rear end merchant way out of his depth, and he really didn't need the bullshit divine superpower or anything to make him cool.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yawgmoft posted:

I highly doubt they'll wipe this level of character progression/first kiss

I feel like you're tempting fate pretty hard with statements like that...

*Subaru attempts to kiss her again next arc, she rejects him*

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Considering how I'm pretty sure Roswaal can just effortlessly fly/float, I'm not convinced on #5 either.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Rem's still in a coma and no one remembers her but Subaru.

Eh, the better twin is still fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Also, i'm not sure our protagonist was intended to be written as being incredibly dense, but conversations like this one

:witch: i want to make a deal with you. Here are the benefits of it for you

:confused: why are you telling me what i would get out of the deal???

Make it really hard to read him any other way. I like comedy stories focused on a dumb guy fumbling his way through fantastical situations (I love NSM), but tonally it feels like it's trying to be taken seriously.

He's a little bit dense, and also operating like 75-80% on pure unbridled hubris.