Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ViggyNash posted:

I remember whiplashing on this show because I really liked the first half and really hated the second half. I really want to see where this story goes though. It's got some really solid hooks.
I wouldn't say I hated the second half but otherwise this is basically where I'm at with Re:Zero.

For me the issue that Subaru is a significantly less interesting character when he's confidently succeeding with his plans. When they beat the whale in particular is where my interest really started to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think we talked about this in the VN thread at some point but I agree with Ytala that Alternative just kind of loses steam like halfway through. Lot of repetition too- I remember there being many dull and long fake science lectures to sit through in particular.

I liked Extra/Unlimited better.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If going to Maaya Sakamoto's tea party is wrong then I don't want to be right.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Conspiratiorist posted:

Well, they're referred to as witches.
Witches are good, and our friends.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe Ram is starting to remember the loops because her name is Random Access Memory.

Rem's name of course, refers to "rem" sleep and she's currently in a coma and that's kind of like sleeping.

It's all in the names.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm now convinced that Ram > Rem

Ram:
-Says "Ha"
-Will be cute even when a grandma
-Doesn't need no demon horn
-Gives out nicknames

Rem:
-Too sleepy to even bother defending herself
-Completely forgotten by society
-Has demon horn. That's weird.
-Gives out no nicknames, must not be very creative
-Losing the Subarubowl to Emilia

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 20, 2020

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

drat, Ram is willing to go against society's prejudices in the name of love, sounds badass.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

^That does kind of make me wonder what a fan-edit of Re:Zero that only has Subaru's final loops would feel like. Intentionally decoupling the viewer from Subaru's perspective might be interesting.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's only one food that I believe Subaru truly loves, and that's He Wei Dao noodles.

Anything else isn't canon.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yo where the heck is Puck?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah these kinds of stories naturally draw comparison to video game logic (I’ve even seen non-anime examples like Run Lola Run being described this way), but if anything Re:Zero is about why trying to game your way through loops without a care (That is, through life) isn’t actually viable.

Like most of Subaru’s problems/deaths don’t even seem to come from Bad Isekai RNG, but rather his own inability to pay enough attention to both the world and the feelings of the people around him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think we should wage war against The Sea, personally. For too long it has been one of the natural predators of mankind, drowning us at nearly every opportunity. Sending strange, tentacled beasts after us. Giving safe passage to hurricanes onto our shores. Stranding deserted sailors on isolated islands where they starve to death.

This has gone on long enough. I won't stand for this anymore- its time we take back our planet from our watery master The Sea and embrace true freedom.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Obv Satella is a shipper, and she will make anyone die for her ship.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

McGrady posted:

Anime only hypothesis:

Roswall, knowing the rebirth situation, is setting up scenarios that is forcing Subaru to complete the tasks. This is why things keep getting harder and harder when Subaru figures out how to solve something but ultimately isn't doing what Roswall wants, which is probably the resurrection of Echidna via the clone machine. The more Subaru tries to resolve the issues back at the mansion, the more Roswall forces the issue back in the Sanctuary. He also may literally behind everything, including hiring Elsa etc to take out the people back in the mansion and village to force the situation. Like, Subaru cannot resolve the problems at the mansion because everyone that can help him are tied up at the Sanctuary and the other people who will help him cannot handle the assassins themselves.

So if Subaru simply completes the tasks for Echidna, Roswall won't summon the snow, which won't summon the rabbits, and everyone can leave the sanctuary. If Roswall is behind Elsa, then things stop there. If he isn't, then perhaps Roswall / Rabbit army / Garfield / Puck (wherever he is) / Echidna can resolve the issues back at the mansion.

If this is the case, it makes me wonder if Roswall hired Elsa in the very first arc as well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Someone correct my memory here, but has Subaru actually ever given that password thing to Beatrice yet in any loop?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wilhelm is an interesting contrast to Subaru because he basically already is a version of Subaru that became a badass and mastered the sword and still wasn't able to save the woman he loves anyways.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A very good episode.

Man, I still can't believe how easily Subaru was just about to rush into that deal with Echidna before everyone else showed up though. For as much as they say Subaru was an otaku or whatever before getting isekai'd, you'd think someone like that would be more suspicious of a deal with a self-proclaimed Witch since I'm sure that kind of thing has come up a thousand times before in the kinds of media he would have consumed.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I don't have a problem with him considering the contract, but that he doesn't seem to actually put much of any thought at all into what his end of the deal would be.

Like its a bit of jarring writing to have right after the scene where he sees through the fake Rem.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 23, 2020

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Going back through the opening for a moment...

Is Subaru dying to the thugs in they alley something we ever actually saw in the show before?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ah thanks, that one completely slipped my mind it seems.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Satella wants to join the track team and only Subaru can prepare her.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Who do I have to write an angry letter to so the second cour comes out early? This wait is going to be more painful than that punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I've been wondering what exactly the point of getting more Geuse in this backstory is supposed to be. Like none of it is outright bad or anything, but I'm not sure it really deepens my understanding of his character or Emilia's or anyone else's to any significant degree.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 11, 2021