Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

a kitten posted:

As much as this sucks, after learning the "who's Rem" spoiler sometime in the years between seasons I had assumed she had been eaten by the Whale and was irretrievably gone*, whereas with this Gluttony thing I have some hope she and the other victims could be restored. (not sure how much hope, but some)

*I don't know if this would even have been possible with the way the events really play out, but didn't re-watch to confirm one way or the other

Yeah, it seems like Knife Boy's power is "just" editing the memories of everyone on the planet. Which is an improvement over season 1 where I was assuming people eaten by the whale were retroactively removed from history or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

A hearty chuckle at Subaru cutting off the exposition dump.

Not that it would have helped, as it turns out.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Echidna is the "Mother of Monsters" from Greek mythology, responsible for creating horrors that terrorized the world (usually until gods or heroes killed them). Naming the marsupial after her was, I'm pretty sure, an ironic choice.

Tangent, but: it's not a marsupial.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Yawgmoft posted:

Were the other witches ever coded as bad, or just Envy?

Well, Echidna seemed to think they weren't so bad, but she's hardly an unbiased source.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I guess Emilia auto-failed the test because, as an amnesiac, she doesn't have enough past to flash-back to.

Or Echidna's just a dick. Which seems likely considering that she's actively administering this test that's kept all these people trapped for however long.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Sindai posted:

oh Garfiel you grumpy cat, it's not even Monday!

He's even orange and striped.

Subaru's forgiven people for killing him in an aborted timeline (e.g. Rem, Puck), but I think it's going to be a bit harder to get over someone killing his friends right in front of him.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

A superior cut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l05xSFs3mkc

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Lurking Haro posted:

Echidna is written Ekidona in kana.

"that's what I'm representin'. Never seen a mic hog spit like a menace"
- My brain, despite my best efforts.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I'm glad to see that not all the other witches were blameless good guys unfairly villainised by history. Grey-goo-bunny witch was probably more of a threat than whatever Satella did.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I'm not entirely convinced that the guiding intelligence of Subaru's power (and hence possibly whatever was going on at the end of the last episode) actually is Satella, rather than some semi-autonomous thing she created.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Lost amongst the more dramatic things that happened in the episode, but yeah, that is how people who actually had to share a world with fairies would react to that comparison.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So could Subaru give elf-clone girl the order "Do not feel obliged to follow any orders, past or future, from Echidna or her representatives"? Because I would have at least tried that.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Roswaal sounding like he's about to publish a self-help book.

Better living through psycopathy: Follow these 5 easy steps, and you too can be a murderous lunatic.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Kind of wondering what the mechanics of magically enforced contracts actually are in this world. It seems unusual for this type of thing that Echidna could even try to set one up without telling Subaru all the terms and conditions.

(And I think Subaru's being a little harsh on Echidna here. Almost everyone he knows is pursuing an idiosyncratic set of goals, to the detriment of conventional morality.)

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Disconnecticus posted:

I hope we eventually get a read on why Elsa is so mind-bogglingly overpowered. So far Julius is the only one who has been a match for her.

I'm not sure anyone she killed was "good at fighting" by this setting's standards.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I took it as she's far from emotionless, but she doesn't really understand why she should care about other people, especially if it gets in the way of her obsessions (plus being in Ghost Jail for however long can't have helped). For now, I'm assuming she's a bad person, rather than anything truly inhuman.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

It seems Subaru was even more messed up by the last couple of events than I'd expected. I don't think end-of-season-1 Subaru would have had trouble believing his friends liked him.

Clarste posted:

I have realized that Echinda actually represents all the readers who complain that Subaru isn't doing the "rational" thing by constantly killing himself to obtain minor advantages.

I have to assume that they're out there, I know how this works.

Trust me, they are.

But I still would have liked some more answers out of Satella, whom I'm starting to suspect might not be all that evil after all. (And what did Minerva do to be included in Subaru's "you're all crazy" comments?)

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

There's also plot (or at least relevant backstory) in this week's Break Time, so don't skip that if you usually do.

On Regulus and Pandora: they're puzzle bosses, like 'Guese was. I expect once we know why they don't die when they're killed, neutralising them will be (fairly) straightforward - if that's even something that needs to happen.

Speculation: Regulus seems to have two layers of bullshit: some attacks seemed to hit a force-field thing in front of him, but also he regenerated a broken neck when one attack did get through.

Pandora's theme is "vanity" so whatever she has probably matches that. Maybe she can't be changed? Would explain why she still looks like a child - she's stuck with whatever form she had when she got the power. It doesn't explain what she did to Regulus, or the mind powers she used on Emilia, but a person can have more than one trick.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I guess we finally know what the masculine form of "witch" is.

Though we're still no closer to knowing what a witch is. Echidna seems to just be a normal (if skilled) magician, but some of the others clearly had "powers".

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I think some people working in the production must be assuming they'll get a season 3, because otherwise it seems weird to introduce the whole "Rem's in a coma" plotline and then spend the rest of the double-length season doing something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Annointed posted:

Multiple arcs and finally Subaru can do magic without killing himself

He also has Geuse's stand, but apparently using that too much makes you go crazy or something.