Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

It is pretty hosed up that he keeps shoving her back into the gauntlet over and over when she clearly can't handle it.
the show seems interested in exploring that hosed-up-ness, given the scene where garfiel tells subaru how awful it is for her and asks him if facing her past (i.e. undergoing the trial) is really something she needs to do

e: forgot to read the new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

He called himself that but he didn't have a book like Beetlejuice did.
maybe he had it in his pocket or something. we didn't see betty's book until literally this episode, so it wouldn't be a unique case ifor him to not immediately show it off

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

Perhaps. However his demeanor is more in line with a archbishop of pride. Since he was incredibly offended when he was interrupted and not paid his proper respect.
it's not like beetlejuice was particuparly slothful

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

with the Witch of Greed acting as more of a therapist than anything, I'm starting to wonder if even the Jealous Witch is evil. the heart crush thing suggests as much but it's still up in the air

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Maxwell Adams posted:

Here are some things that I'm putting together:

Echidna saw Earth in Subaru's memories, didn't seem surprised by it.
You need to be mixed blood to take the trial, but the barrier only holds you back if you're half-blood.
Subaru can take the trial, but he isn't held back by the barrier.
When Subaru was taking the trial, the vision of his mother said something like, "You're only half your father, so you only need to be half as cool as him. The rest of you can just be Subaru".
Subaru had his gate sealed off when he was very young, and always had natural spellcasting abilities.
Doesn't Echidna explicitly tell Subaru "here's a magical spell so you can take the trial" during their first meeting?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

feels like by the end of this season every single character will be revealed to be a witch cultist, including pastrache. theres going to have a shot of him holding the pages open with his talon or some poo poo

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Kingnothing posted:

I have a feeling none of the witches are blameless good guys. Especially echidna. There’s so pretty clear red flags that show she’s not to be trusted at all. Especially her last words to baru and that face she made at the end.
sure, she's kind of shady, but what has she done that we've seen other than help Subaru overcome personal trauma and save his soul from getting broken? as it stands, she's very much a benevolent figure--that could change, and it's entirely possible that she did something awful in life (the general theme with the witches seems to be "good intentions gone terribly wrong", going by Typhon attempting to show Subaru is a good person by breaking him into a million pieces and Daphne trying to solve world hunger via horrible man-eating monsters), but she doesn't seem evil

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Kingnothing posted:

I mean by that logic, Satella is good because she gave Subaru return by death.

This show has proven to us time and time again that just because someone is helping Subaru in the moment doesn’t mean they’re actually helping Subaru in the long run.
no, because Return by Death is a very nasty "gift" that broke Subaru apart, whereas Echidna put him back together again. The self-destructive nature of Return by Death has left Satella a murky figure from the start; Echidna hasn't done anything similar.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

A big flaming stink posted:

judging from that one shot of the black tendrils reaching into the tea party but dissipating, i think it's quite likely satella got really, really, really, really, REALLY loving mad about subaru casually blabbing about return by death.

on another note, garf is suddenly extremely willing to risk his life to save a supposed witch cultist. i can't imagine subaru smells particularly good right now either.

along similar lines, theres literally zero chance that echidna didnt know that subaru blabbing about rbd would piss off satella to high heaven.
idk, it's possible that without being woken up by subaru, emilia got so hosed up the witch was able to take her over, and subaru spilling the beans had little or nothing to do with it. this is our first time seeing what happens when subaru doesn't wake emilia up (and only the aftermath, at that) so it's hard to say.

also if subaru hadn't told echidna he probably would've fully broken down, so it's not like she had much choice

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Wicked Them Beats posted:

He does! Just tell anyone (who isn't a witch (or possibly Roswall???)) that he can Return by Death and Satella will lovingly crush his heart.
Nope, Satella crushes the heart of the person he tells. At least, that's what happened when he told Emilia.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Given that Ryuuzu wasn't capable of inheriting Echidna's soul, I wonder if the purpose of the trials might be to find someone who is. It'd explain why Echidna set them up to begin with, and why Garfiel doesn't want to do them (finish them?)—nobody wants to get possessed.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

off model roswaal is going to haunt my dreams tonight

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, it seems like the more plausible read on how things have ended up for him. Echidna knows about events that should have been erased from time. If instead he is just traveling across parallel worlds then it stands the reason she might be able to know about those. He also retains passing the trials across resets which doesn't make a whole lot of sense if time is resetting but makes a whole heck of a lot more sense if he's shifting across universes. If that's the case then his world line is omnidirectional and from his perspective he passed the trials in the past perfectly fine.
if emelia and the trials are getting their information on previous worlds and previous trials by reading his mind, or otherwise sourcing it from him, then it wouldn't matter whether he's going back in time or travelling between dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Rudoku posted:

(is it a spoiler if Isekai Quartet and Break Time told me about it but the show doesn't?)
Yes?

e: oh, Break Time too. idk but you probably should've put the warning before the tags, rather than after