Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sefal posted:

I somehow glossed over that as well.
Somehow protag dying and isekai are blended in together for me.

I was about to write about remembering a truck being involved too, when I realized I was thinking of Konosuba and Kazu’s ignominious death at the hands of his own bad karma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

XboxPants posted:

I recently watched the edit where his failures are removed so it's all a single timeline, and this was one of the most interesting aspects. You basically are watching the events unfold as Emilia or Rem or Julius experienced them, and you get to experience exactly what Subaru looks like to everyone else.

And it makes way more sense than I thought it would. Like, you mentioned that Subaru was just recently acting totally unstable before the Sky Whale arc. That's true, but in context, it doesn't seem out of place, because he always acts like that. From his perspective, his mood shifts are gradual, and that's how it looks when we watch the show normally. But, to everyone else, it is a daily, sometimes even hourly event for Subaru to go from sunken, abject despair to cartoonishly manic confidence and back again. He barely even has a normal.

Like, he comes off winning the Sky Whale arc, full of resolve and guts. And in the middle of his big inspiring speech to fire up his troops, he suddenly switches from raring to go, to contemplative and muttering to himself and tells everyone to cancel all the plans because now he'd like to spend some time discussing ancient magical theory & myth for a while. And they roll with it.

In other words, to everyone else it seems like he's functionally bipolar.

Wait. Someone spliced all the "true timeline" scenes together? Where can I get this?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

XboxPants posted:

Original reddit post
(I apologize if this is skirting too close to :filez:)

Don't get too excited, though, it cuts out less than I was expecting. Even with all the failures removed, it's still drat over 5 hours long. Cool idea, though.

Oh god, the audio leveling on that file is horrendous. :negative:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hogama posted:

S2 in April, S1 re-airs starting in January with an additional epilogue after the final episode.

loving eeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhyyyyyyyy!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

How much do the new additions matter? I was familiar with the four original IPs in Quartet but I never watched any of the ones added at the end of the season.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Grouchio posted:

Everyone however should go watch Memory Snow, as I just did.

It's cute, it's fluffy, it gives us a glimpse of Emilia's character, and has subtle foreshadowing for arcs 3 and 4.

And is highly gifable.

Finally got around to watching the Director's Cut up to episodes 13 + 14 and Memory Snow.

The direct riffs on Konosuba and DBZ were pretty hilarious nods.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Has there been an official anthropomorphization of the corona virus, yet?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Oh geeze is that why the letter was blank?

:v:

My big complaint is how they subtitled it. To get the full impact, you can't linger on "Who". They should have written it as "Rem"...."Who's that?" Either way, I was spoiled about that twist right after the series first aired, and I remember flipping my poo poo so hard that it was originally cut.

So, outside of (LN/Manga only reveal)Al apparently also being isekai'd and having his own insane backstory, are there any major plot or character points we missed out from the director's cut that we should be aware of?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 2, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Uhhh, when? It was supposed to be in ep 7 during the carriage ride with Priscilla, right? And they mention the waterfall at the edge of the world. That's never brought up in the anime.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Argue posted:

Didn't watch the director's cut; can someone remind me: did Subaru manage to establish or otherwise prove to the rest of them that the whale was actually wiping people from existence? Or does nobody but him know this?

People seem to just take his word for it since it is impossible to prove, and he's shown he has access to lots of other random esoteric information.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

So....is this a separate movie or the name of the next story arc?

Edit: Sweet
vvvvvv

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 7, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Agronox posted:

Without any spoilers, is there a consensus on the extended episodes or director’s cut or whatever they called it? Worth a rewatch to check those out?

Might as well if you have time for a refresher. I like how the director's cut doubles up the episodes, so there's less intro/outro crap to deal with. They cleaned up a lot of the animation, and now that the OVA is out, you can watch that in it's proper slot in the timeline. Really, there's only maybe 10 - 15min worth of new footage total, but I think it's worth it. Especially if you haven't seen it since its original airing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nitrousoxide posted:

How did Crusch get her arm back?

Felix dat gud.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That was a super dense episode, and I was way too tired going into it. So, I probably need to watch it a couple more times.

Or maybe just put Subaru-dad on a loop.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't have much Japanese knowledge so I may be wrong here, but I believe Stella would be ステラ (Su-te-ra) while Satella is サテラ (Sa-te-ra). Romanizing the former into the latter would be wrong.

Not speculating about the naming convention in this situation (and this isn't to poke Blaze Dragon), but as a general reply, phonetic transliteration into Japanese isn't as 1:1 as it seems at first glance. There are a few reasons for this. Sometimes, "mistakes" are made in the initial translit which gain momentum and just become the agreed upon form. Sometimes, they don't use the English (or American English, specifically) pronunciation of a word to create the transliteration. Sometimes, (especially with fictional works), the author will take the base foreign word and will tweak the translit to allow it to roll off the tongue better in Japanese.

This is how you get stuff like "virus" which you would think would be バイルス ("bairusu") coming out as ウィルス ("wirusu"), or "Earth" (アース --> "aasu") in FFVII turning into Aeris (エアリス).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
イ!エム!ティ!~~エミリア、マジ天使!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm trying to remember how far back (e.g.; which timeline iteration) was the scene where Rem dies in the mansion and everyone thinks Subaru was responsible. Then, due to Beako initiating a pact with Subaru to protect him, all the mansion's big guns (Ram/Roswaal/Beatrice) turn on each other.

Roswaal's whole "keikaku doori!" moment doesn't make sense if it was devised prior to the point that loop is initiated.

Maybe I wasn't reading the scene properly, but that whole interaction back in season 1 never made much sense to me.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 9, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Grouchio posted:

Episode 6 is out!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Grouchio posted:

I really, really, really want to answer all of your questions but that would delve into big arc spoilers. If any of you are antsy and need to know now, please PM me.

:geno: Christ, Grouchio. Please don't do this after the other episodes air.

That said, why the gently caress is this show so loving good!? Beako scene. Otto scene into title card. And of course, this:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm glad this has finally explained that there's at least one thing that Subaru's time loops can never change. Ram will always be cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk3g-4Ge6Bo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Grouchio posted:

Alrighty. If I can't talk about episodes, then I'll post fanart and memes!

Donuts != Echidna.

3/10 :colbert:

Edit: I just realized that's a small "tsu". Is her name Echina Dona or something? :psyduck:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 22, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Maxwell Adams posted:

Here are some things that I'm putting together:

Echidna saw Earth in Subaru's memories, didn't seem surprised by it.
You need to be mixed blood to take the trial, but the barrier only holds you back if you're half-blood.
Subaru can take the trial, but he isn't held back by the barrier.
When Subaru was taking the trial, the vision of his mother said something like, "You're only half your father, so you only need to be half as cool as him. The rest of you can just be Subaru".
Subaru had his gate sealed off when he was very young, and always had natural spellcasting abilities.

I will legit get mad if they pull a "sins-of-the-father/decendant-from-a-special-bloodline" bullshit with Subaru using his mom as the vector.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm going to throw out a completely unfounded (and probably unanswered because it isn't really important to the story) guess in that the Witches were merely the first mortals to inhabit/represent the specific traits associated with the seven deadly sins, but those forces of nature were causing real, quantifiable chaos before the age of witches.

Edit: Also, holy gently caress that episode. With Echidna asked for the handkerchief as payment, I am wholly expecting something to happen to Petra. Like, after Subaru manages to fix the current situation and finally gets around to saving the mansion, he gets there and the post-credits scene is going to be Petra being all indifferent to him or hates him or something. :ohdear:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 6, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wollawolla posted:

That's my interpretation. It's really the only thing that makes sense with the "I swear I'm going to save you." line as he looks into her weeping eyes. Either he's speaking to the "possessed" Emilia, or he's speaking out loud to himself as he stares at Emilia's likeness.

Also notice that when Garfiel is listing everyone who's been swallowed up by the shadow, he specifically doesn't mention Emilia. And when Subaru mentions her a couple lines later (along with Otto), Garfiel doesn't saying anything.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

paragon1 posted:

Remember what we were told about how the rabbit works?

I'm going to take a guess that Ryuzu manufacturing doesn't scale with the rabbit..

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
What I want to know is whether Roswaal's copy of the gospel is still providing him a future unlike Beako's. I'm guessing so?

Also, how many villagers are going to end up being moles? Seriously. That girl looked so much like a slightly older Typhon, for a second, I thought she was a vessel or something. :psyduck:

My hypothesis (at least for this timeloop) kind of mirrors McGrady's. This is all going to have to come back to getting Emilia to complete the trials. She is what Subaru will have to focus on, and eventually, he'll find a way to get her to complete it w/o a mental breakdown on day 2 which will delay things enough (either through getting Roswaal to back off whatever poo poo he put in motion or getting Ryuzu out of the sanctuary in time to keep the Great Rabbit from locking on them) for them to haul rear end to the mansion and spit up to take Elsa and Maylie out. The fact that Roswaal is scared of Gar is enough to make me think he's strong enough on his own to take on either of them.

All that said, I think we've gotten all the "pieces" for this loop, so to speak. And it is just a matter of Subaru focused on everything in the right order.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

macabresca posted:

What was the password again? "I'm the one you've been waiting for" or something?

Yup. I was waiting for him to drop that this episode, but he didn't. :shrug:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

If Return by Death were more predictable he could spend a couple loops having Wilhelm teach him to swordfight.

He did do that during the selection announcement arc. He's just really bad at it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My favorite bit of animation from this show is still when a young, pissed off Wilhelm slashes at Theresia, and she just deftly dodges, disarms him, and jacks him in the gut. :allears:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I loved the episode, but the idea that Echidna is kind of an knowledge hungry blank slate that wholly lacks empathy or emotional attachment to anything didn't really gel with me. Just look at how Subaru interacted with her at the beginning of the season. I thought it was pretty clear that his flirtatious attitude got to her, even it she was nominally more interested in what he could do to expand her knowledge base.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

doomisland posted:

Someone remind me why hes infatuated with Emilia

It's sunk cost at this point, man. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yawgmoft posted:

Woe to you, second pretty girl to be nice to him. You were too late.

Second pretty girl who was nice to him killed him first.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Annointed posted:

“subaru you got to eat the eggs”

Now, I'm imagining Subaru flanked by Echidna and Ram telling him to eat a jar of pennies, Venture Brothers style.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It's going to be funny when some nerds make the inevitable "Single Timeline" edit of this season, and it ends up being maybe an hour long. :v:

The question would be if you should include all the interactions at the tea parties.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fat and Useless posted:

So Subaru is Satella's Emilia. Very cute RE:Zero.

At this point, I'm thinking her scenario is basically Beatrice's with like 10 layers of extra complexity added on. >_>

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Grouchio posted:

Are you guys liking the second half of S2 so far?

Go back into your pocket dimension, Grouchio, and come back in 3 episodes. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I somehow really enjoyed Emilia and Subaru arguing like an old married couple.

It seriously felt like something the author wrote straight out of experience. :allears:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

XboxPants posted:

We need to see more heroes get knocked down a couple pegs for idealizing their crushes. "The version of me that lives in your head must be amazing"

It's that Rick & Morty bit with Beth and Jerry and the marriage counseling machine.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

XboxPants posted:

If this means that Barusu is Jerry I am fully onboard. (Ram and Rem are Rick and Morty, respectively??)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Can someone explain the meaning of the episode title? e.g., wtf is a quaint stone? Or is it a quote from somewhere?