Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I thought this thread would be for discussing Isaac Asimovs classic novel Foundation and Empire. I'm really quite disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I finished a psycho history degree and now I'm employed at Starbucks. I can tell you all about famous psychos from history though!!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Captain Beans posted:

How far did everyone get the Foundation series before they felt like it ran out of steam? I love Asimov but I felt like it really fell off after book 1.

I read the whole series and each book was excellent in its own way.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Got to the end of book 3 and haven’t gotten around to the rest yet.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

I finished a psycho history degree and now I'm employed at Starbucks. I can tell you all about famous psychos from history though!!

I double majored in history and psychology because of the Foundation series.

they never taught me psycohistory :(

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

I read the whole series and each book was excellent in its own way.

i liked the one at the end where he crosses over with his Robot series of books

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The worst part of foundation is that every single character talks like Issac Asimov

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Offworld Trading Company is a good sequel to Mule.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

If you’ve never seen it, Maria Full of Grace is a very good movie about drug mules. I highly recommend.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

1redflag posted:

If you’ve never seen it, Maria Full of Grace is a very good movie about drug mules. I highly recommend.

Agreed but hoo boy this movie is sad as gently caress.

The best Clint Eastwood movie was Any Which Way But Loose, which costars an orangutan and has Eastwood do a duet with Ray Charles on the soundtrack titled “Beers to You”

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

How far did everyone get the Foundation series before they felt like it ran out of steam? I love Asimov but I felt like it really fell off after book 1.

I finished it, but the last two were written when he had entered the scifi writer's final life stage (sex-weird) and were kind of hard to get through. Still better than late Heinlein which is like 100% a thin veneer of story on top of an explanation why having sex with your daughter is ok.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
There was a newish (I think)sci-fi book I read a few years ago that I enjoyed, but forgot the name and author. It was about 2 human space civilizations colliding after diverging centuries ago. One was like the space Chinese mixed with silicon valley that had super computer and software tech. The others were like space Russians who had come across a plague they harnessed that turned survivors into autistic savants, which they used to overcome technical solutions with human brain processes stations of slave geniuses who didn't mind being slaves. It reminded me of the tech companies whose 'algorithms' were really just sending images overseas to be reviewed by someone in Nigeria for $0.50 an hour.

Anyone know the name of that book?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
No idea about that one but since we are already veering off topic, I've recently gone through Red Mars trilogy audiobooks by Kim Robertson. While towards the end they kinda enter the sex weird territory, it's a pretty fun read about how early martian settlers develop into matriarchical communal anarchists with very long and dry treaties about specifics of terra forming, political ideologies and philosophy in between all the action.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

1redflag posted:

Do I get to see a 90 year old man get his dick wet?

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pham Nuwen posted:

I finished it, but the last two were written when he had entered the scifi writer's final life stage (sex-weird) and were kind of hard to get through. Still better than late Heinlein which is like 100% a thin veneer of story on top of an explanation why having sex with your daughter is ok.

there was always a bit of that in Asimovs stuff. one of the Robot series books features a woman who regularly has sex with her own father. she insists this is fine and not bad because their weird spacer culture doesn't have the concept of parents and everyone is raised by the state

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
In the third one, I think (the second one they go off Earth in), there's a passage about how it's totally normal on the planet they visit for a child to have their first sexual experience with a parent.

It's probably just a means of emphasising how alien the society has become.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Captain Beans posted:

Got through the original trilogy. The first book is definitely is the best of the three, though I did enjoy the other two. The discovery of the Second Foundation was a satisfying payoff and I'm not sure if want to read the rest of the series given Asimov really didn't want to do them.

Takis
Sep 15, 2005
meh, I'unno.
Psychohistory could have predicted that this thread is about some trash and not nerd books i like

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Takis posted:

Psychohistory could have predicted that this thread is about some trash and not nerd books i like

No it couldn't have because psychohistory is only accurate when applied to large populations of people. The actions of a single person or a small group can't be accurately predicted which is why the Mule was able to disrupt Seldon's plan and why this thread was able to disrupt all our hopes.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Lowtax's medical bills were a proper Seldon crisis. How many years til the next one?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed reading my dad's old Lensman books when I was ~12. That was a series which was pretty good apart from being built around a massively sexist central concept and ending up with a worryingly pro-incest stance.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Dean of Swing posted:

Offworld Trading Company is a good sequel to Mule.

Just a good game in general.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Icochet posted:

Lowtax's medical bills were a proper Seldon crisis. How many years til the next one?

He was saved by the secret "Second SA" :ninja:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

He was saved by the secret "Second SA" :ninja:

Skullmund?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Activate the SomethingSensitive protocol

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's funny how that works.

Asimov alway had a hint or a little bit of a stream of odd sex stuff running through his novels, but I think it was the Foundation novel when they were looking for Earth and the Gaia chick was with them, that it became really apparent. I think it was the same novel where they went to the topless Asian planet where it was imperative that the reader knows what their nipples looked like. Then again Asimov was a literal sex-offender who would grope anything that came near him. It got so bad that any women going in for a photo-op were warned that they were going to get groped if they followed through with it.

Nothing took such a left turn as the Ringworld series. Larry Niven went from hard science in the first novel to a hard dick in the second. 90% of the book was talking about inter-species sex.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

luchajones posted:

This is the real life mule

So that's what happens if you just let your nose and ear hair go forever

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

So does Clint manage to get it up in this movie?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Titanides come in two sexes, male and female. Both sexes have a rear vagina and uterus, and a large penis in the position where a horse's penis would be. Both sexes also possess humanoid breasts and can thus give birth to and suckle young.

Male Titanides have a frontal penis analogous to a human penis, and female Titanides have a frontal vagina. While sexual intercourse using the horse organs is indulged in casually between individuals of all sexes, so-called frontal intercourse is reserved for intimate relationships. The product of frontal intercourse is always a small, spherical egg a few centimetres in diameter. These eggs are often kept as keepsakes or mementos of special occasions. They are sterile unless first treated with the Wizard's saliva.

An egg which has been made fertile can be implanted in a rear vagina and "quickened" by rear intercourse. After that, the egg will develop into a young Titanide.

All Titanides can have eggs implanted. The Titanide who receives the egg is called the "hindmother". The Titanide who quickens the egg is called the "hindfather". The Titanides whose original act of intercourse produced the egg are the "foremother" and "forefather".

There is special case: a female Titanide may use semen from her ventral penis to produce an egg, transferring it by hand. If the egg is made fertile, she may then implant it in herself and quicken it with the same source of semen. The resulting offspring is a clone of the mother. Semen from the ventral penis can only produce an egg in the same individual who produces the semen. This is the so-called "Aeolian Solo" method of reproduction.

The naming of the different modes of reproduction is arbitrary but follows a logical scheme. Aeolian modes have all female participants, and one female is both "foremother" and "forefather". Lydian modes consist of one female and up to three males. Mixolydian modes have two females, and one or two males. Phrygian modes, of which there is only one, have three females and one male. Various prefixes and modifiers are used as well. If the foremother in a Lydian or Mixolydian mode produces the egg using her own ventral sperm, the prefix hypo- is applied. If the hindmother is also the hindfather in a Lydian or Mixolydian mode, the prefix locri- is applied. The unmodified mode name is used when the foremother is also the hindmother. When another participant is the hindmother, the modifier Sharped is applied. More complex combinations have modifiers like Double Sharped and Double Flatted.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

What’s the point of having multiple sexes if they all fulfill the same biological roles.

NSFW but lol:

http://booklikes.com/photo/max/300/0/upload/books/c/2/c297693301fc242accce29bec627cd80.jpg

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Beans posted:

There was a newish (I think)sci-fi book I read a few years ago that I enjoyed, but forgot the name and author. It was about 2 human space civilizations colliding after diverging centuries ago. One was like the space Chinese mixed with silicon valley that had super computer and software tech. The others were like space Russians who had come across a plague they harnessed that turned survivors into autistic savants, which they used to overcome technical solutions with human brain processes stations of slave geniuses who didn't mind being slaves. It reminded me of the tech companies whose 'algorithms' were really just sending images overseas to be reviewed by someone in Nigeria for $0.50 an hour.

Anyone know the name of that book?

Sounds like A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge. Hyper-capitalist space Chinese traders clashing with virus infused space fascist slavers. And a sentient spider civilization cold war.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Avynte posted:

Sounds like A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge. Hyper-capitalist space Chinese traders clashing with virus infused space fascist slavers. And a sentient spider civilization cold war.

Yep, that's it. Excellent book. A Fire Upon the Deep was good too but Deepness was better. See also: my forums user name

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I read the Foundation books about 15 years ago in high school, and they didn't make much of an impression at the time, maybe I should give them another shot now that I'm older.

I also remember watching a Clint Eastwood movie around the same time and thinking that he was too old to be banging young blondes. Jesus christ, how does he even do it now.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Movie magic

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Avynte posted:

ah yes that’s it! I forgot about everything going on down on the planet.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I don't think I even finished the fourth Foundation book, or if I did I just forgot most of it. It's good to remember that the first three books were basically collections of short stories written in like the 40s, and the rest were written like 30-40 years later.

The first three books are good although I feel like the second and third don't hold up as well to re-reads.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Can you imagine like 2 generations from now and Ben Affleck is still making movies and loving ladies on screen for some reason and people are like "Ahh, another good movie from Mr. Affleck, what a great director"

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 25, 2019

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

The Moon Monster posted:

Thought this was gonna be about the Foundation series.

This is what I was thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's cool how many Asimov fans there are here.