Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Forex,Born of the Bonfires, One Who Gives, One Who Takes

The god paced before his grand hearth, excited and lost in racing thoughts as the recent developments promised to upturn half of the existing business strategies.

She really did it! Tripled the fuel efficiency by employing multihull design! Empowered the mighty steam turbines with a recursive heating loop to enable reliable crossing of the ocean with just twice the usual store of firewood. Not that the lateen sails of Jiysal fared much worse, yet the breakthrough design came as a surprise even to Forex, who had been watching it closely through the entire development.

And, lest we forget, that one was entirely mortal-made, with no... friendly suggestions necessary.

And what a new world could it open! One of unparalled mobility, of freight tonnages in new orders of magnitude, of all the peoples of the globe able to reach each other and share in their knowledge as if they lived in one, enormous village. A new, golden era in which all shall be connected by glistening streams of silver.

The one question that remained, will could mean would? Won't this grandest of opportunities - one that could truly herald a new, better age - be foiled by incessant meddling of others? The islanders, so close to a splendid design, yet... a diamond in the rough. Their industrious drive to prosperity marred by excessive violence, so hard to peel away with the drat snake so present in their lives. And the mighty empires of Shiksita... surely more manageable, already conditioned into business sense, yet... a force majeure risk, as the grumpy whims of Emoch turn into action so easily within their confines.

Yes, yes, the precipice of a new age cannot be left to those who fail to understand it in full. But how could one god impose his will against the whole world? Perhaps... he lets them believe they are furthering their own goal, advancing their own plans?

Yes, while others are swept with majestic gestures, I shall slip right underneath their noses. A handful of dreams of green and gold, a ship marooned on the shore bearing incredible tales, a wanderer bearing words of cautious wisdom, an admiral's doubt.

For isn't it foolishness to swing your sword at the darkness of night? To pit a crew weary with months of travel againt entire continent of unkown size and power? Even a child would see it for a blunder of greed. No, a wise man would bide their time. Entreat for hospitality and exchange gifts. An exchange them again and again, eyeing the cities, the ports, the garrisons each time, until he maps entire nations out, until he is able to strike with clarity and purpose.

But what they won't know is that I won't let that moment to come. That they shall all grow dependend once intertwined. That no one raid would be worth the grassilks for their nets and ores for their tools too deep within hinterlands for a catamaran's hungry reach. That no one island would be worth the irate archipelago stemming the tides of delicate pink salts. That they shall forget. That they shall learn reneging on the agreement their wiles have set would anger the fires that burn.

And who could possibly say no to such a favorable exchange? One of the two lands differing so starkly in their supplies and demand? If all it took would be to spare a handful of coppers for a weary caravan hand that claims to have met those strange foreigners before in their long journeys to far-away lands? For if I cannot entrust the responsibility in other gods, how could I expect the short-lived to fully grasp the importance of this moment and know and translate just the wrong number?

---
OOC: Trying to INSPIRE COMMERCE to trick the warlike into the Genghis Khan recon by trade idea and hope for the best. Would try to also get MONEY involved to use the initial uncertainty of currencies relative worth to set up Shockingly Good Starter Deals while whispering about needing to ensure sustainability of this plan to stave off total mahattan-for-beads-style hustle.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Forex stood up from the table, stirred by a pleasant surprise. It had seemed like the god's favorite customer was in need yet again, probably out to beg and agree for the sake of whichever little village she deemed of utmost importance to preserve. With a flick of his hand, he scorched the few remains of the morning shakshouka that still had clung to his fiery beard and approached to open the doors. He liked the tactility of it, having to touch the stones and woods and wools, all crafted precisely to his demanding specifications.

"Maladine!", he shouted jovially, "What a joy it is to see you again! I see that the developments of those exceptional mortals have even managed to stir the stars from their long slumber! And for a good reason - bear my words, we are witnessing the glimpse of a new age! But- were my manners consumed by excitement? Do come inside!"

He ushered her in and with a light touch, helped her cross the high threshold - for while he might have never let the words betray it, Forex was painfully aware of the limits of his sister's blindsight. He regaled her with tales of the latest developments - even though she has not had the chance to ask for it - while leading to the recliner in front of the eternally burning fireplace.

"... and if you wish to smoke, I have the finest Zerrikanian blends known to a man - or god. But back to the matters at hand - we truly stand at the precipice of greatness this world had not seen before. And I must admit some trepidation at the developments taking place when you were gone, leaving the more... chaotic forces free to act, but it seems that the promise of a future shall not be betrayed. Jormgir has seen the pleasure of maintaining the sea routes regular and orderly, like mortal little clockworks, while our usual troublemakers have sought it fit to constrain themselves to a humble strip of land."

"There are no other words for it, my sister - the business is booming! And soon it shall bring a glory the likes of which our children had never seen! Given enough time, their mighty ships shall take to the skies, their words shall go forth and multiply, crossing the world as quick as it takes to anger Emoch. The wounds of the second age have finally been sealed. Now the time has come to push the healthy tissue of Wax to new heights!"

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

"Isn't that always true of our family?", Forex laughs. "I am most painfully aware of how this stupendous achievement could be squandered on petty squabbles of others."

"But let me offer you an ember of hope in that I have kept vigil over the matter and it has paid dividends. For has a single pair of swords been crossed? No. The great drake of the seas had seen through her righteous fury and noticed the future blooming above her head - in fact, I might have to offer her my regards once agreeable terms arise to solidify this venture. And Emoch and Kem - are lost in their own obsessions, confined to an empty strip of land. And in fact, busy solving the very problem they could have incited therein. For whomever might have sought to race for the right to plant their flag has long been forced to reconsider. The years-long struggle those two ensured for the settlers will enshrine every yard taken from the wilderness with great deeds and names, sanctify each house with generations of stewards - until not a single fool could see their claims as unjust. Perhaps, should their positions get strained enough, the disparate settlements shall learn. By which point harm no longer would come from easing their way to the hinterlands."

"And, of course, there is always you, whom I trust not to wish to stain this world with any more harm."

"Ah! But you have to see this!", Forex exclaims with that same jovial joy with which he has greeted her, long before Maladine had time to fully ponder implications of his words. He procured a roll of glistening cloths and put it in her hands, helping her fingers trace the intricate islander patterns singing the histories of seas crossed and strangers met.

"The finest grassilks of the north weaved by the hands learned in the secrets of the archipelago! Has this world seen anything like that before?"

"There is so much we take for granted, Maladine, but there is no reason the mortals need be confined by the expanse of the world. For it is the others that truly enable us to become greater than we were - and with this, all that is happening, they finally are able to have a shard of vision, of the horizons that we enjoy."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

"Yes."

"It is a noble design - and seemingly a simple answer to our woes. A grand forum of intentions and ideas - you know it to be a draw we would find hard to resist. Yet have you wondered why I refrained from hosting such event on my own?"

Forex lets go of Maladine's palms and walks up to the fireplace, on top of which awaited a box of ghostgrass cigarillos - his vice of choice ever since that old commandment about liquour enshrouding one's wits with thick, dark smokes. The end of a roll sparks with bright red the instant it reaches god's hand.

"Things are going well so far, Maladine. It's a precarious balance, yes, one necessitating vigilance and an occasional gentle push, but... it is this moot that could bring oblivion to this delicate balance, strip it of blessings that allow it to be. For not all would come with a wish to align, but with one to exploit intentions laid bare. The great smith and that which once was our sister have chosen to contain themselved in a shared delusion, leaving peoples of the world free of the corrupting touch. And were we to speak plainly, we'd discard this small mercy we have been granted. For you know Emoch knows few pleasures greater than disagreeing - and the other, eternally ravening for a sign of weakness to pounce at."

He sits back in the recliner, weighing words and staring with sorrow - as Forex knew the doom his sister was about to unfold with her misguided drive yet again.

"I can only hope for wisdom to reach you before it's too late: if you do not wish to cast Wax into oblivion, you musn't allow yourself the delectation of thinking you can treat all as equals. You musn't. You must keep the powers which eternally will evil believing they are furthering their own goals so that they can be made to eternally work good."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Forex nods in agreement. The compliment might have been sincere or washing of hands over a delicate task - probably both - but either way, the memory of it shall prove useful.

"I am glad you do. Perhaps... Perhaps you should ask Emoch to forge one. Not only would such a laborious task occupy his restless task, but also... the triumph of being necessary to someone should do well to make him pliable."

"If you're willing to stomach all the gloating it entails", he adds with a smirk.

The god flicks at his cigarillo playfully, watching the ashes fall off its end and incinerate itself into nothingness before reaching the floor.

"I still believe you're making a mistake, Maladine, no matter how well-intentioned. You might see the lands brought closer through the passage through seas, but may not fully realize how closely the heavens and earth had been intertwined. The wall between them might only exist in your mind. Nevertheless, I know I won't stop you, hence it falls upon me to make sure my fears prove unfounded. I will attend and help with your endeavor, Maladine, and do so for an almost irresponsibly generous price."

"Make sure to give Jormgir my regards, and tell her the Serpent's Flag is well on its way to buy itself a charter, shall it retain the exceptional work ethic. She'll understand what it means."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

And with business promptly concluded it was time to start another one - one that Forex knew will rest mostly on his shoulders. With a single eruption of the remote Kyskytera, the path has been cleared and the god sank into the volcano.

"Hail to you, Worldshaper", Forex said with a polite bow once he reached the forge of forges. "I could not help but wonder at the majesty of the lands and treasures you have reached as of late. Nor could I miss Kemgoz being drawn to that very same shine. Pray tell, great smith, has the cursed one proved much of an inconvenience?"

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

"A drastic step, if not unfounded one. Nevertheless - one beyond the means of this humble merchant, forced to accept *force majeure* in their dealings. And that is why I am bound with honest concern of your endeavors. For I will not lie, it is most pleasing for someone else to bear the brunt of her poisonous attentions, yet... I do believe our designs align harmoniously and I intend to keep them that way."

"As easy as it would be to leave her obsessed with whichever trials you sought to inflict on the settlers, I do happen to look favorably on your work here, glad to provide all the logistical backbone the mortals here need to grow according to your designs. So if you want my intentions laid bare: I come to offer joining our mights in a unified task: to ensure Kemgoz' attentions won't pervert your great deeds and to ensure the tensions that might result won't leave past the shores, where the designs of my own remain incomplete."

"Truly, I have little faith in this moot into which Maladine seems to invite all that hold tha barest amount of the divine spark. No - we are at a brink of a new era. It would be foolish to entrust its fortunes to squabbling of godlings, when one could resolve the matters among... reasonable parties."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Forex strolled across the edge of town, subtly steering Hekis towards the picturesque seaside roads. The Eternal Surgeon's work here was done, yet the ever vigilant god could not keep himself from glancing at the pox-stricken corpses being laid in pyres, muttering quick calculations, breaking away for the last minor acts of aid.

"... again, I am truly sorry for my overly harsh words, Vigilant Healer", Forex explained. He hated having to go to Hekis so early in his legation, but the very same reasons that have made it more effortful meant it was that more important for the PR of his nascent project. "The heated nature of the moot got the better of me and - I loathe to admit it - there was a fair share of personal disappointment over the future of a certain enterprise I have concocted with you specifically in mind."

"The... Caducean League, was it?"

"Correct. A divine confederacy for matters of mutual branding assistance."

"Meaning?"

"A friendly, voluntary pantheon of our own. Established for the sole purpose of steering mortals towards each other, should relevant domains come into play. Consider this hypothetical: there is an outbreak of fever on a merchant clipper returning with holds fillled with eastern fruits. Should the ship surgeon pray to garner help of a great healer, or to appease the cruel god of disease? His captain will have a clear answer: the one who belongs to the Caducean League."

"It bears no explanation", Forex continued, "that my reach in the world is great and grows further with each trader daring to find his fortune in distant lands. That is the reach I am willing to share with all who fear they could be left behind in this ever-shifting world, who fear that in the ever-tightening world their regional reach shall be usurped by a stronger god from across the world."

"How generous", Hekis replied. "And what would be the price for such a courtesy?"

"Merely responding in kind. Some gentle reminders of my presence. Perhaps remind your flock that the flames cauterize the wounds and purify the tools. Order boat graves to burn, not to pollute the waters with disease. Teach for silver coins to work as antiseptic, to be held as life-saving charms. I believe you can think of something."

"Ah, so perhaps Emoch was right about the overlordship you seek."

"Overlordship?", Forex laughs. "Really, that the idea came from the Vaultkeeper should tell you all about its good sense. All I would expect of you is not to cause strife within the leage or bring harm to my dealings - yet I do not deem lack of hostility a tyrant's yoke. I do not wish to give you any orders, I do not wish to fight your wars nor use your powers to fight mine and while I'd gladly help you defend from active competition, that would be a matter of a separate agreement."

"Do not deem me a fool, Forex, for we both know the truth of the matter: your reach is indeed far greater than mine. We both know there is no way I could bring you more recognition than you profess to bring me. Nay, the only gain you would have is to encroach on and devour on what is mine, to tug at my domain one ritual at a time."

"A valid concern, if thankfully unfounded one. It is true that while we regard each other as equals, our contributions do not. And that is why I request direct symbolism, direct signs of partnership from all who wish to join. For I might lose from a single member, but I shall gain from the league as a whole. I do not wish for your domain nor those of any god I entreat. I merely wish to hold onto what I already am, for believe it or not, I am plagued with the same problems as you are. Do you know how the cremation rites came to be?"

"A failed attempt to get into sould trade?"

"A successful favor for a friend. In the age past, the wise Izemrasen ran out of land to bless with his trade. The four caravans have reach the northern, southern and eastern shores, with the amber fleet in the west unable to sail through the endless seas past a handful of islands. Yet he knew that with nowhere else to go, his Tarkhans would try to cut the known world into their little fiefdoms, just like they have cut the clanstead apart. And so he thought for twenty two days and on the twenty third, he announced the miraculous solution: to burrow into the soil like a setseke making nest, until the clans reach the other side of the globe. The caravans each gathered the best they could buy: the Sapphire Caravan brought tools forged from Souihla steel; the Emerald Caravan commissioned the finest engineers of the desert folk who dwell in cities carved in rock; the Ruby Caravan tamed majestic beasts and the Amber Fleet returned to land to keep the Great Works supplied. And they dug and dug and dug until one day Izemrasen's downward path carved its way to the Great Forge itself. As night devoured day, the men set camp and brought the finest gifts as it was customary to thank the unexpecting host. Yet to their surprise it was not the Allfather they found in the halls."

"Did-"

"Yes. The caravan had unwittingly caught lovers in the act. A man of both wisdom and tact, Izemrasen excused himself, feigning ignorance, and ordered the caravans to dig further through the night, wishing not to be involved in matters of the divine. And he was right to do so, for when Emoch returned home and saw mortals crawling in his stead, his anger was so great no gift from the surface could placate him. And so, to save his men from smiting, Izemrasen bowed and said he came to gift the most important of news; that he regrets any damages his crude excavation caused in the name of avoiding miracles that could be noticed by treacherous gods; that he know the reason why the moon jumps into the horizon to hide deep within the earth each morning that Emoch sets off to work. And thus the caravans were saved and while the journey has never reached its goal, the caravans grew rich with miraculous artifacts that were thrown out during the heated argument the gods had as the mortals made their hasty retreat."

"Dear Forex, what has that to do with anything?"

"Ah, yes, I digress again. As you might very easily imagine, the Witch-Empress was none too pleased with Izemrasen's deeds, even if there was little of his fault. And so she decreed that the wise king who brought much fortune to the world shall be barred from ever entering the heavens. For years he had tried to placate her with favors and gifts, yet Maladine wouldn't budge. And so when Izemrasen grew old, knowing his years are drawing to the end, he has embarked on one last grand legation, trying to curry favor with any lesser guide that would bring him to the gates of the celestial. Yet none would both agree and be able to grant him passage past the Blind Empress. On his deathbed, the indomitable Izemrasen finally succumbed to despair. I have, of course, scolded him for the ridiculous notion that the fact he has personally failed would mean that there are things that cannot be bought. After a short, but fruitful talk he did agree to a proposal of trilateral trade and I went off to secure his final journey. I came to Maladine and entreated; I reminded her of guidance the departed still need while she is busy bickering with Emoch; I have offered my help with catching up for a modest price; I joked that the rites I could work through - not unlike burnt offerings - would have the souls fly away with smoke, away from the grasp of Emoch's soil. And with her anger still burning hot, she agreed out of spite. Yet, blind as she is, when the time has come for Izemrasen to pass, she could not tell his ashes apart. Up to this day, when a clansman dies, as piously as they pray to the Empress, they always leave me a coin, should a little assistance be necessary."

"And as the ages pass, would that handful of warlocks willing to trade for their lives and souls be reasonably construed as an assault on the celestial sphere?", Forex asked. "No. And yet my coin is there when the clans live and when the clans die, when the clans move and when the clans set camp, when the clans toil and when they rejoice in their wealths. And no matter how many gods enjoy their rites, it is clear that the clans are of mine. And in this brave new world the Trail will flicker and fade, the caravans will take to the seas, the ships will outgrow even the oldest setseke. And while I do not mind the sailors thanking the stars that guide them, the winds that propel them, the medic who staves scurvy away, the gentle waves that grant journey its safety - I am most concerned that in the world in which all of divine blood look hungrily towards the sea no sailor ever forgets it is by my flames in their engine and my purchase of passage their ship may move, no frontiersman ever forgets it is my torch that fends off the wild and warms their hut at night."

Hakis stood in silence, lost in thought. He took another look at the plague-ridden town and then another at the sails crossing the far horizon.

---
Recap for the sake of clarity: I am touring the less troublesome, probably the more antropocentric lesser gods and offering them membership in a loose pantheon of my own - the Caducean League. It is a loose confederation for quid pro quo cross-branding opportunities: members get preferential treatment and friendly references. So, for example, all Forex-fearing naval merchants would get gentle, but clear suggestions their ship surgeons would really do well to pray to Hekis, over other gods and spirits in the appropriate domain space.

The smolgods would get patronage of a big player attuned to this weird, changing world and return their own shoutouts towards Forex. The expected effect being: Forex doesn't mind helping some minors grow in their non-competing domains and has no wish to encroach on them, but by slapping reminders of his presence in all aspects of one's life, he hopes to instill the idea that the ships and colonial settlements as a whole are Of Forex. As in: surgeon has his god and helmsman has his god and the stevedores have their god, but when every single thing they do on a ship somehow involves Forex, it really makes u think.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

[Click for chill vibes]

"Why, thank you! Would you like some more red tea, Othris? It goes really well with the pastries", Forex asked. Faced with a shy refusal, the god put the pot back at the small table by the fireplace.

"In that case, let's get down to business of the first Caducean League Congress. I hope you are as excited as I am! You very well should be, for aside of the very wealth of opportunities this gathering will bring us, I have already been busy working on my end of the bargain. You could consider it an early bird bonus, ha ha!"

Forex steps to the side to wheel in a board chiseled from the whitest of marbles, mounted on small set of rotary, steel wheels. The pristine surface hosts an intricate picture drawn with coal.

"This, my dear leaguemembers, is the Caduceus. My proposal for the logotype of this establishment. A... symbol, Kihraxz", Forex explains for the somewhat more primal wind. "It is, of course, a matter of consensus among us, so do not be afraid to come forth with suggestions. I do, however, believe, the design shall please you. The composition is centered around a priestly rod, reminding of our divine mandate, while - I believe - being quite recognizable for Othris' followers. The wings that protrude from it stand for the freedom and individual agency - both among us and those inclined to pay respect to us wholesale. I believe the nod towards Kihraxz is self-explanatory. Finally, there's the"

"... aesculapian snakes", Hekis interrupted. "But why are there two?"

"To represent our unity and cooperation. And to avoid confusion with your personal branding."

"... That's all very nice, but I don't see no signs of yours", Othris voiced her lingering hesitance shyly.

"Ah, that is true. I have considered some options, but after running them through a focus group", meaning Elaine, "they were deemed too graphically busy. In simple terms, if the logotype cannot be scrawled on a treebark when in grave peril", Forex explains while quickly doodling a greatly simplified version next to the Brand Book prototype, "then it is needlessly exclusionary. Besides, it might be fitting for the silent reminder of what is more than the sum of the parts."

"Although... Given my next proposal... What would you think about... this?", Forex asks, drawing a single line.

"A... circle?", Kihraxz asks.

"An encompassing circle", Hekis notes.

"Encompassing and protecting", Forex corrects. "Protection sells in these uncertain times. But, if I may explain the immediate context of this proposal..."

The god scrounges through his pockets to find an imperial dinar and shows it clearly in the air. He then closes his fist and molten gold begins to seep from between his fingers, the thin streams landing in the other palm. The red hot metal hisses, but fizzles out in a handful of seconds. Forex picks it up to hold the very same dinar up in the air. It seems... better. Shinier. Rounder. And when the god turns it around in his fingers - the coin's tails depicts the Caduceus, rather than the Great Mausoleum of kings.

"As you can well see..."

The words come to a still, as all the gods can feel the disturbance of the Celestial, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. It was clear something terrible has happened.

"The Dark returned", Kihraxz asked - or stated, as it was rarely clear with his stern voice.

"Is a great war upon us?", Othris asked with a cracking voice, the goddess sinking into the soft chair of Forex's cottage.

"Arguably a development that might call for an emergency Congress as soon as we establish the nature of what seems like an obvious crisis. But back to the matters we can resolve right now..." Forex spoke calmly, as befitted the self-imposed paternal role of this hand-picked pantheon. Yet as he spoke, embers in his eyes sparked up. "As we have already established, protection sells in these uncertain times. And given the most fortunate selection of gods that had responded to my humble proposal..."

---
The major league members are:
- [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xs6YwlN_HU]Hekis, the divine healer.
- Othris - Sailor's superstitions made manifest, crucial for staving off Murphy's laws and keeping the complex machinery of a ship operational... for a modest offering to the League.
- Kihraxz - the polar wind [meant to be more about cold and ice, the roaring winds being more of a fluff behind it, perhaps more relevant on its home turf].

The action is TRANSMUTE MONEY for a miracle of a whole bunch of coins spontaineously - and stubbornly - turn their tails into the Caduceus symbol. Thankfully they retain their worth in silver and gold, while noticeably cropping up along the Trail. If possible, I intend it do be more about entrenching the newfound league than dealing with personal reputation (narrative-based turf implications? swaying a hesitant god?), but it's fine if it isn't directly felt this very update and we take our time to figure out how did it prove relevant.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Things have gotten bad, Forex thought. Half the pantheon began running around, screaming and hurting themselvs like a pack of angry toddlers and an actual toddler stepped all over his carefully cultivated branding. What insanity. What mess. And yet, among the lesser divinities - lesser in mind as well as their power, it seems - he was the bad one for calmly going about his business.

And worst of all, everyone's gotten awfully romantic all of a sudden and it isn't even the flower season yet.

But sometimes... messes are good for business. Perhaps it would be prudent to let the skies go to hell, to let it devolve into a tiny bit of insanity, to let the first shock blow over and have it be all the more obvious that there still remains a trail, where things remain as they were. That some promises still hold and some offerings still deliver the same exchange one expects.

And with that in place, we're going to have some serious talks.

---
Keeping the business as usual, all nice and successful, to hopefully fix the strained reputation a bit. That could involve either Inspire Commerce or letting the League do its thing, whichever would be more useful for testing purposes.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Forex took another glance on the ruin that one was the green coast. He sighed at all the unnecessary waste - but then again, it wasn't his business and the god was not the one to interrupt a competitor when they're making a mistake. Still, mismanagement of this scale simply hurt the eyes. Perhaps that was the very reason this course of action was of such an utmost importance...

Forex reached into his purse and threw a handful of silvery coins onto the ever-shifting surface of the sea. The little metal discs shined and glittered as the waves ebbed and flowed. Forex stepped softly and carefully over the floating coins, his passage blessed by an aeons-long pact.

It took some time, but his trek over the raging sea attracted the one pair of eyes Forex hoped to attract - of the great blue's very owner.

"Hail to you, great serpent", he said with a polite bow. "I know you to be mightily busy with whichever disaster you have flung yourself into so eagerly, so I shall make my case quickly and to the point. Before this... brand repositioning of yours, you had established the serpentine banner I remain quite fond of. I would very much appreciate them not following whichever calamity of a pursuit you are about to embark on."

"Truth be told, I remain fond enough of them I could be persuaded to purchase them off you... should you name a reasonable price, of course."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

"Ah yes, Rakhil, this will do quite nicely", Forex said with an appreciative nod. The cedar chest was immaculately finished, the long, curved lines giving it a certain lightness modestly hiding its sturdy construction. The opals it was encrusted with shined opulently in the bright rays of summer sun. As was their precise role in this. "I confess, you have been right about ditching the feathers and the symbolism. We could only assume how she feels about the birds. It is much better for the abstract beauty to speak for itself."

For the next day the box was to be ensorcelled and filled to the brim with the finest, delicate tongues of flame, dancing gracefully as they radiate a downright mesmerizing light, bathing all around in their warm glory.

A perfect adornment for the great fire in the sky, that proud sphere of light desperate to plant her stake and proudly take what is obviously her birthright. The delicate, tasteful finish to ensure her striking visage is seen all across the world - in all of its unceasing, blinding, scorching glory.

- - -
I want to give Ix the complimentary house warming gift of fire, like the friendly God I am.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

"Ah, yes, they call it the 'Taker style'. Still not sure if I like it", Forex responds. Kal knew him long enough to sense the god to be somewhat flustered. "Whilst the classics never go out of style, I have always deemed it prudent to catch up with the world changing around us."

After a brief pause, he continued in a much steadier, controlled tone, now that the first shock was over. It's all polite smiles and eyebrows raising gently to underscore the right words.

"Yet I see you also had... obviously visited a stylist. And I am glad to say the new look is clearly thought through enough I can safely assume it does not mean yet another breakup of yours."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Forex nods in appreciation.

"Hopefully there's enough of that birdbrain to appreciate a gentle, yet vital lesson was in her best interest."

He offers her a hand to guide her over the threshold. Old habits die hard.

"In truth, I have to admit it ended up working far better than expected. I thought Kihraxz and Hekis will have to do the heavy lifting, but those sunghosts... Cremations are already on the rise and we've successfully rolled out the idea of grave lanterns... and given some operational excellence on the part of Othris', they actually work as wards, given steady influx of the right fuel."

The god halts, as if correcting himself.

"I hope to not be mistaken that these... immediate crisis responses would not pose much of an inconvenience to you, dear sister, given... my understanding of the current state of Celestial matters."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

"Ah. The works. Jormgozir is truly pouring her heart into it, for she isn't easy one to arrange for a tête-à-tête nowadays. Perhaps, should the two of you share the vicinity, you could mention that while I do not concern myself with her... newfound focus, I would gladly . The League might be willing to purchase them, should she name a reasonable price."

Forex spoke and led the goddess towards the porch. He let her feast her eyes and rekindle memories - there was no need to mention the scenic view wouldn't last for long. Not with the works the Worldshaper and the remaining gods were about to undertake. Not yet.

"But nevermind the favors, back to the bird in hand. I will, of course, make the inquiry and help you establish a universally accepted solution. Yet I must confess my concern about... the freshness of these events still clouding minds amongst our kin. Yet you and I, dear sister, we are old enough to know better than to behave like Emoch, aren't we?"

He hands Kaladine a box of cigarillos.

"You've always been a good judge of character and so consider this: is punishment truly necessary where humbling would do?"

"It is a hostile, unforgiving world we live in, a harsh lesson that had already been set in motion. Should she find a kind soul in her moment of despair... she could be made far more receptive to... consultancy."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Forex laughs.

... heartily?.. emptily?.. amusedly?.. bitterly?..

... Does it really matter?

"If there is one thing I have learned about Wax over these aeons, one unfailing grain of truth in the ever-changing swirl of time, one nigh-irrefutable proof that this land was indeed shaped by the Vaultkeeper and that he in turn had been shaped by the very same hand that compelled him to do so..."

"... is that the more things change, the more they stay the same."

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 9, 2019

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Forex studied the crystal carefully, turning it in hand and watching it split the sunbeams into colorful little shards.

"That's good. Really good. But small. And we - we need to think big", he rambled at the jeweller. "The season is ripe for harvest and this - this gem is a centerpiece to make it work."

"When you put a ring on it, I want it to sustain an imperial class-2 magistrate for quarter of a year. And that's if it ever end up in a pawn shop, the asking price is a whole another matter. You see, Reginald, I need this to be far more than a luxury or a status signifier. I need this to be a clear statement. Of commitment, as much as of one's ability to sustain their dependents in a world in which even the sunlight will soon be at premium. And the deep earth gems - the rarer, the better - are to crown it all. Trust me, the sooner we eradicate the dowries of sheep and goat the better it will be for those people. After all, the cattle is fleeting and the diamonds are forever."

"Besides, it's also a professional courtesy."

---

Trying to embrace the love epidemic by a little propaganda campaign to culturally intitute the three month's salary wedding ring rule and generally have it feed into cultural neuroses about sustaining dependents in the new hellworld of Wax.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

---

THE SUMMER HAS ARRIVED

An explosion tore the blackened, ashen skies and even the Empress herself winced in instinctual terror - though no one present was foolish enough to ever remark on that. Several thunders followed and vibrant, bright colors spilled across the skies as if several inkwells were thrown defiantly, breaking as they hit the thick sphere of ash. Soon, not only the Imperial Court, but the entire capital stood enraptured, looking up at the glistening dance of lights they have long given up hope of ever seeing again.

"It is, of course, entirely complimentary, Exalted One", Forex whispered. "Merely a gesture of gratidude for our long-standing friendship and certain... temple district plans I have heard whisperings about. Besides, I would be aghast to see the summer solstice traditions gone because of some... changing weather conditions. Even if I would suggest renaming the Sun Festival to something... more appropriate."

He then turned towards courtiers and counsellors, who bowed and thanked for the marvellous gift, as necessitated by the traditions. He spoke loudly:

"Lesser men would deem the sky-fires to be a mere symbol, an inkling of joy offered to nations cast into the eternal dark by those unconcerned with their well-being. Symbol it might be, but know its meaning is much more. It is a symbol of hope and of the strength of this great nation. It is a sign of its force of will made manifest, that one might take its skies, but cannot take its traditions, that if one devours its sun, it shall cast the light of its own glory, filling the blackened skies with untold sky-fires and lanterns, that whatever spawns in the dark, hungrily stalking for weakness shall be cast into light and scorched by the tenacity and valor of imperial hands."

And so, for one day wine flowed and music played.

----
I'll just leave those fireworks here and make sure someone will, independently and deniably, come up with a hwacha and then an arquebus to deal with those pesky new mythmonsters.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

"And I have suffered the just consequences for paying a visit most unannounced", Forex bows politely. "Thankfully, you'll forgive my faux pas, as I believe Wax sliding into an ashen apocalypse has put a certain pressure on my schedule. You see, I wished for the banner of the serpent to stay as it was, as when you were still of one mind, undisturbed by whichever mess you and Kaladine jump into headfirst. Perhaps even purchase it, should the price be reasonable, for the League - "

"But I am afraid the serpentine ship has sailed."

"For this humble establishment is always willing to wait for a... friend, but the mortal world does not. I am still fond of your creation, yet - speaking as a businessman - they retain only so much of their stock value. Rootways are where the money is, nowadays. And so I am forced to withdraw the deal, for what I could offer in good faith would be but an insult to one as majestic as yourself."

"But thankfully you have graced me with your presence for a whole another reason, whether you realize it or not. So let me spell it out: you slumbered into hibernation when the seas were poised to become the grandest highway Wax has ever seen. You woke up when the seas are on a brink of being forgotten, a deathtrap shrouded in dark, so far away from the strands of light binding the civilization like the waves were meant to do. You cannot not have the Serpent's Banner hold their vigil, should you wish for more than a handful of fishermen - half of which you have probably devoured already - to brave venturing to the seas. In fact, you would need to do much more than that to retain the mortal favor. Finally, and most important of all, you came here knowing I'm the only other major player who possibly has a vested personal interest in keeping the seas relevant."

"And I am open for business."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The god raised his ember of an eyebrow.

"So do you hope to wait for them to wither? Seek to erase them in hopes no further spires shall rise upwards? This time it is far too late for your favored tool of destruction, for no matter what happens, the trees have already changed how the mortals think."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The god mulls the idea over and nods.

"There would be some competing opportunities, ranging from fungal... but yes, I can picture the high seas becoming a key vector for that."

"Still. It would favor you to institute... safe fishing grounds, should you truly wish for that to become a staple."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The merchant is flustered by the unexpected near-flustered plea - and so retreats into the well-practiced politeness.

"But of course", he says with a smile and a low bow. "As it has been the case ever since the right of passage has been granted to the mortalkind, you can rest assured I have no wish to extend my dominion any lower than the planks that hold a ship together. Especially if such a... mutually beneficial relationship would be put at stake."

The god then furrows his brows momentarily, already analyzing the fine details of the order to come.

"There will be floating lanterns, I expect", he says, eyes focused on a faraway place. "I would say it is merely a matter of logistics in a darkened world in which the surface of the sea, rather than its shore, necessitates a geography, but that is not true. It would be a symbol and a proof of stability. One I would recommend not interfering with, should you wish to paint a the choice of sustainability, rather than desperation. I would also suggest stranding ashore no less than three and no more than seven leviathans, to imprint the idea of venturing to the depths as well as ensuring a recognizable omen."

The detour into efficient business tips puts the merchant at ease - soon enough he is fully back to his jovial self.

"And please do know that I appreciate your plan threefold: in its generosity, in that it strengthtens my existing interests and in the admirable business acumen that it is far better to retain a large share in a sustainable market, rather than tighten it precariously for a chance of monopoly. We have, after all, entered the age of unprecedented undersupply and there are many more markets far better suited for manufacturing scarcity."

"Like, say, glaives."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Forex laughs, brushing Jormgozir off with a casual wave.

"Don't be silly, my dear. Should such things be within power of this humble merchant, I sure wouldn't have to suffer the entire mortaldom looking up at the great copyright infringement in the sky. And perhaps for the better - for indeed that would be courting imminent disaster. Yet one cannot help but wonder... with each passing age it becomes ever more priceless and so... just what would it be worth, should Wax become ready for it?"

"Ah, but I ramble. Rest assured you don't have to concern yourself with it, Jormgozir. I may not be able to name its location - then it would merely be hidden, not gone, wouldn't it? - but I made sure to be quite certain as to where it isn't."

"But that's just sound business."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Forex toured the world of Wax, ensuring the spread of his latest gift and occasionally dispensing safe handling tips to royal alchemists and court majordomos. All to proceed the plan goes down as planned and on time - admittedly a painfully long schedule, but it was crucial for the works to emerge organically, with the god's hands clean of any murderous applications. Yet, the wait was as excruciating as necessary - and made doubly so each time the god glanced over the ever-escalating stalemate between the valiant heroes and those spawned in the dark.

The more he watched the struggle in a dire need of an explosive breakthrough, the more the restless god considered creating his own brand of heroes - utilizing the very same determination, zeal and drive to push through deadly ordeals in service of a greater goal. Although, naturally, one smarter than throwing valiant bodies at unspeakable horrors without adequate tools for the job.

No, Nefretask has already drained the mortal resources from more courage and brawn than necessary. Forex would instead whisper to those nimble and crafty, those cunning yet brave enough to gamble their futures on the promise of fortunes to equal those of lesser royal houses. To have them stalk the lands sheathed in darkness to forge new trails known only to the handful of the most skilled and vigilant - and certainly not the buffoons tasked by the magistrates to oversee customs and tariffs.

But make no mistake, their work would have far grander purpose than reinstating free passage of citizens and goods in a world gripped by fear, would go to far grander lengths than returning the heroic artifacts deemed lost in the war on darkness back to the circulation, ensuring the struggle's increased sustainability until a decisive breakthrough is possible. Who else, after all, is thinking of all those communities lost in the dark, stranded far away from the life-giving light of the rootways? These struggling people surely would benefit greatly from regained access to crucial supplies and information.

And, as always, the market will know best what the appropriate payment for such heroic generosity would be.

---
Attempting to inspire some enterprising smugglers to chart secret paths across the dark. With enough bodies thrown at the problem, (relatively) safe trails will eventually emerge that a resourceful deity might later leverage for some sub rosa Surprise Logistics.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Forex glanced warily. He wasn't looking forward to meeting with Kemgoz again - nor with the Dark being conscious and focused once more. Then again, if the goddess was to act on her grudge, she'd surely pick a better time and place. Yes, the worst that could happen now was a message being sent.

And so he smiled and nodded politely.

"But of course. It is a public holiday, after all."

The god slid a tankard across the stone balustrade. It was half-empty, yet still pleasingly cold.

"Seasonal specialty. As proud as I might be of the great fires in the sky, I am forced to admit the revelry isn't complete without a bit of respite from the humidity."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

No fluff today, but exhaustive explanation instead. Forex is to go around and set up the Bazaar of Embers, a linkedin/ebay for minor gods, or as he puts it - an 'organization put in place to promote sharing and entrepreneurship in these trying times'. The core ideas behind it are:
- It's set up to mostly run itself, through essentially establishing an administration of assorted librarian/accounting/law godlets, receiving a compensation that's interesting for a smallgod while not very notable for a biggod and a very real chance at gaining a lot of status among their low tier. Hopefully, Forex himself would only have to check on it every once in a while to make sure things are running smooth.
- It would essentially be a marketplace of services, with the Bazaar helping find godlets with the right domain in the catalogue and meticulously tracking all the favors (essentially an internal currency) owed.
- A big feature of the above would be the Bazaar's administration holding an arbitrage court for the contracts closed within the system, ensuring relative safety and compensation, should things go wrong. The sanctions are obviously confined to matters of Bazaar membership and running tallies, but it's not wise to become a thorn in a Big God's side, is it?
- Suffice to say, petitioners with outside dispute could ask for arbitration, as a paid service from the Bazaar.
- There is a possibility of appealing all the way up to Forex himself, codified in such a way it's more of a safety valve than something to be expected. This is as much about the air of legitimacy as sending a message to the arbiters that with great power comes great responsibility and it is most unwise to be endangering Forex's reputation.
- The place runs on nominal commissions (existing mostly because free is suspicious). The real profit of this place is to be amassing meticulous archives, which might come in handy when a need arises to push a bunch of (cyrrent or former) smallgods around. Or simply figure out what they're up to.
- Some nebulous, yet inconclusive suggestions are to be made that the Bazaar, as a whole, might one day gain status of a Leaguemember and enjoy assorted privileges of that.
- The market is rigged to promote smallgods, with medium-tier gods increasingly pushed to deal with the League instead, assigned a lower priority for when their scale is simply necessary for a deal. It is so in order to cast a wide net instead of enabling big players to corner the market. Much like gathering the archives ("no deed shall be forgotten before the arbiters") it's not really a secret, but rather a feature ensuring realization of Bazaar's most wholesome and friendly mission.
- Nef steering the pesky petitioners towards the fledgling Bazaar is a source of early adopters and considered by Forex a fully exchanged favor (getting rid of her problem vs helping establish something really monetized).