Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lovely Complex as well. All three years of these dumbasses:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Motto posted:

Huh, makes me wonder how many anime series cover the whole of a character's HS years (with that being the main focus, no timeskips or anything).

Azumanga Daioh, but I don't have any good pictures from it right now.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

nielsm posted:

Azumanga Daioh, but I don't have any good pictures from it right now.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Azumanga Daioh is now 18 years old. And PM Mori was still a punchline.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm weeks behind so I'm avoiding its thread for the time being, but wow I'm really liking Kimetsu no Yaiba so far.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Expect My Mom posted:

awesome

i propose a rewatch thread when the new season gets closer

That would be fun. There's a lot of stuff to go through, really. Two seasons, two recap movies I think, maybe throw in LatB.

It would also give a good excuse to post this again

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, good luck sleeping tonight after that.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
YAMADA HAS GONE TOO FAR THIS TIME

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Well, good luck sleeping tonight after that.
But what if you're a passionate leg person.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Motto posted:

Huh, makes me wonder how many anime series cover the whole of a character's HS years (with that being the main focus, no timeskips or anything).

Cross Game covers the high school baseball career of the characters from first to last

e; although theres less of the non baseball season stuff there's still a decent amount of off-season stuff going on

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Grouchio posted:

But what if you're a passionate leg person.
Maybe that was what he meant

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

Maybe that was what he meant
No, I'm pretty sure that's going to give me nightmares for the next 2 days.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dudermcbrohan posted:

i didn’t watch Liz yet, does that do a bait and switch or are people just being chicken littles
The main characters aren't explicitly a couple by the end but the story is blatantly about how much they mean to each other and how close they are and the director's referred to it as a 'love story.' It's a kind of wispy, airy sort of movie, so the big moments are more quiet comfort rather than giant confessions of love, so I don't really mind.

Also I'm pretty sure there isn't even a male character with a line in that movie? You see some of Eupho's male cast in the background of some shots but I don't remember any of them saying a word.

dogsicle posted:

people are just being tedious about kumiko and shuichi maybe being a thing
yeah idk why people can't just discuss this like adults instead of being vague and stupid about it, it's a complex enough back-and-forth without idiots with no skin in the game making tired jokes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

lots of slice of life shows. And it's not really a focused on aspect of the series but Symphogear has wound up doing that, since I'm pretty sure Hibiki's in her third year by now?

It hasn't gotten there yet but the creators of Bang Dream have said they want to do that with the game, and even follow the characters into college depending on if it lasts that long, which'd be really interesting if it manages it.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

isn't there a baker dude in the fairy tale part

oh, and the teachers. why did i not remember them first

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the eupho stuff is kinda complex to me because like, i get wanting the gay rep and relationship to just be in the thing and be confirmed/front and center. i do also think there's value in having characters just be exploring relationships and sexuality in a way that results in stuff like kumireina coming and going, asukumi in s2 (and also the other couple from the first arc), and even a potential kumiko/shuichi thing. at the end of the day you've still had these intense and significant relationships between characters that matter to them even if they don't fall into traditional long-term relationship or happily ever after molds. if you wanna get reductive about it you still end up with kumiko at least being bi.

kind of independent of that though, the sort of lame shuichi jokes just feel like they come from a place of dissatisfaction that eupho didn't follow the expectations and discourse set up way back in season 1 when we were all so awestruck at kumireina and i just wish people would let the show just kinda, be a show instead of a target for those expectations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It doesnt help that people tend to frame it like she falls madly in love with shuu and never talks to reina again and it smashcuts to her married with 2.5 kids

The reality is theres a lot of back and forth, ambiguous relationships, them breaking up, kumiko wondering what 'love' is and actively comparing her feelings for all the important people in her life, etc.

Theres still plenty to criticize and i totally get peoples misgivings and annoyances but the fact is the thing that actually happens isnt what people pretend happens. Her relationship with Reina is never treated as 'less important,' in fact a source of conflict within the narrative is her trying to reconcile how important her relationship with Reina is with whether or not she feels as meaningful a connection with Shuuichi

Again, people can criticize or complain about that and I'd agree with a fair amount of it, but.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 1, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

actually i guess the thing i was trying to hit at about the jokes was, they seem to come from a place mad about "kumiko/shuichi happens" and not addressing or caring about any of the context of that

but since we haven't even seen the material adapted yet and i doubt most people have read the books, i guess its more understandable that the overall discourse level would still be at a low hum of hating that plot development, esp. with how it relates to wider media trends.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The reason people got mad at Kumiko/Shuichi happening is cause Kumiko/Reina was a real thing in season 1 and for it to switch to Kumiko/Shuichi feels like a bait and switch and Class S lesbian. I didn't quite turn on the series as some I know, but I'm super wary of any future Kumiko stuff cause of it even if it does delve into reasons as to why it happened,

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean the real problem is that Shuuichi gets basically no screen time or development in the anime so any kind of relationship at all seems like it'd come out of nowhere. He's practically a background character.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The reason Kumiko/Shuichi sucks is because he plays Trombone, the worst instrument.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shuuichi gets to tell Kumiko "Hey I like you romantically, let's go out" and then they go out. Reina has to exist in this netherworld of innuendo and "ah youth, transience, fleeting, how nostalgic~" and constantly remind everyone THAT THERE'S TOTALLY A MAN THAT SHE'S SUPER INTO IN A ROMANTIC WAY (also he's 35 and she doesn't even actually know the most basic loving things about him) - and the material literally never engages with this as a thing that is weird, or undesirable, or anything other than The Way Things Ought To Be. Nobody has literally ever even suggested to Reina that maybe her ideal of a romantic relationship with someone 20 years her senior might be anything other than a great idea! Everyone who ever talks to her about it just completely uncritically encourages her to go for it!

That is rancid, poisonous character writing, on its face, under any circumstances, even entirely aside from the impression, intentional or otherwise, that it exists solely to explain why Kumiko and Reina can't be a thing. And some vague notion that maybe, two more years from now, we might possibly do something with these characters that isn't incredibly lovely doesn't really change that. Neither does Liz And The Blue Bird spending an hour and half trying to work up the courage to say that maybe these girls might possibly kind of like each other more than girls usually do (but oh god that might be a bad thing maybe she loves her too much what if they can only reach their full potential and become Normal People by separating???), for that matter.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I've only seen the show and not read the source material, but if we were to hypothetically ignore sexual preference, like if Shuuichi was a girl he would be bland-as-hell Worst Girl who I would not want nor expect Kumiko to end up in a romantic relationship with. Reina and Asuka are just way more interesting and likeable characters from what we've been presented with so far in the anime series. Regardless, I'm excited for more Eupho in any format because it's a really good show.

Endorph posted:

the fact is the thing that actually happens isnt what people pretend happens. Her relationship with Reina is never treated as 'less important,' in fact a source of conflict within the narrative is her trying to reconcile how important her relationship with Reina is with whether or not she feels as meaningful a connection with Shuuichi

This is good to know at least, thanks.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Wait, did I miss something? Didn't season 2 end with Kumiko confessing to Asuka?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tir McDohl posted:

Wait, did I miss something? Didn't season 2 end with Kumiko confessing to Asuka?

Yep. What about it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Neither does Liz And The Blue Bird spending an hour and half trying to work up the courage to say that maybe these girls might possibly kind of like each other more than girls usually do (but oh god that might be a bad thing maybe she loves her too much what if they can only reach their full potential and become Normal People by separating???), for that matter.
gently caress off

Clarste posted:

I mean the real problem is that Shuuichi gets basically no screen time or development in the anime so any kind of relationship at all seems like it'd come out of nowhere. He's practically a background character.
Yeah, this is very fair. The anime does a lot to deemphasize him so it's odd that they didn't just fully commit to rewriting, but I guess rewrites are kind of complex to work in?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The reason people got mad at Kumiko/Shuichi happening is cause Kumiko/Reina was a real thing in season 1 and for it to switch to Kumiko/Shuichi feels like a bait and switch and Class S lesbian. I didn't quite turn on the series as some I know, but I'm super wary of any future Kumiko stuff cause of it even if it does delve into reasons as to why it happened,
Eh, I can get the bait and switch framing, but I wouldn't really call it 'class s,' at least not intentionally? It feels more like the series just wanted to be about how people's feelings and relationships change over time, how you lose and regain connections - the author talked about that - and accidentally stumbled into this sort of situation. Again, not knocking people for disliking it.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 2, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tir McDohl posted:

They're in such different places in their lives that any long term relationship wouldn't really work, plus Asuka's proobaably not equipped for a longterm relationship besides.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yep. What about it?

Why do people get mad about Shuichi then? Dude was barely relevant.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tir McDohl posted:

Why do people get mad about Shuichi then? Dude was barely relevant.

in the novels, he and kumiko start a relationship. they are adapting the parts of the novels where that happens. indications are they will not remove or downplay those elements as they have with previous shuuichi related material. That is what we are currently having discourse about.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

something about him dating kumiko in the final book, and also the finale movie had a key visual that was just kumiko and shuichi fistbumping

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Endorph posted:

in the novels, he and kumiko start a relationship. they are adapting the parts of the novels where that happens. indications are they will not remove or downplay those elements as they have with previous shuuichi related material. That is what we are currently having discourse about.

Ah, spoilers. I see. I was really hoping they were setting him up to date her sister instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tir McDohl posted:

Ah, spoilers. I see. I was really hoping they were setting him up to date her sister instead.
age gap romances are problematic queen

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i've decided age gaps are good now

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Endorph posted:

yeah idk why people can't just discuss this like adults instead of being vague and stupid about it, it's a complex enough back-and-forth without idiots with no skin in the game making tired jokes.

Endorph posted:

gently caress off, you odious piece of poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i feel like 'telling people not to make the same two tired jokes' and 'telling someone not to pop off with an insanely disingenuous reading for the seventeenth time' are two different things?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Have whatever opinions you like, but unasked and unearned moral righteousness is something no one has given you and nobody wants you to have, least of all the people you're ostensibly trying to speak in defense of.

I'm speaking in defense of myself, and my feelings as I watched the show. The way it treats its character relationships struck me as deeply ill-thought out and as consistently framing its core relationships as ultimately cheap and disposable. I get that in this context that complaint is hard to disentangle from accusations of "this show is homophobic/bad to lesbians/whatever", but that's what I was trying to do. I'm sorry I couldn't express that more clearly.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 2, 2019

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm speaking in defense of myself, and my feelings as I watched the show. The way it treats its character relationships struck me as deeply ill-thought out and as consistently framing its core relationships as ultimately cheap and disposable. I get that in this context that complaint is hard to disentangle from accusations of "this show is homophobic/bad to lesbians/whatever", but that's what I was trying to do. I'm sorry I couldn't express that more clearly.

It's fine, I did pop off too hard, but stuff like that irks me, esp. that kind of framing. It's cool.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
also,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Geh