Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
trying to get caught up on bungo so I can pick up S3

Gonna check out...
RobiHachi
Mayonaka no Occult Koumuin
Kono Oto Tomare
Fairy Gone

Sarazanmai is a big maybe, I was thinking about waiting til later in the season to see more of what it's actually going to be about before committing

e: same on the lack of hype, some shows look like they could be interesting but I'm not super excited about really anything this season.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I have no idea what YU-NO is, when I was browsing the season list I'd discarded the show as some sort of harem-looking thing to begin with but the plot description sounds innocuous enough so if it needs some kind of content warning let people know.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lmao can't wait for the end of season reaction posts on that one

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm excited for more T&B

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Midnight Occult Civil Servants is fun :3

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is funimation stuff only streaming through their own service? guess I can mark everything else I wanted to watch off my list for now.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 7, 2019

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

they have some sort of partnership with hulu, but i dunno if that means everything will show up there. also, the whole thing of hulu having ads is eh

I already have a no-ads sub for Hulu since I watch other stuff there, but it doesn't look like they've added anything new on it yet. Maybe they're doing the week delay thing and I can watch them next week.

lol my list was short already but everything but the occult civil servant show is funimation so I guess that's my show this season

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 7, 2019

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm still not sold on it.

I finished reading the spinoff manga with the cops and it was thoroughly stupid to the end and mostly just kind of bland.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ViggyNash posted:

peak shoujo rom-com melodrama

what does this mean

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ViggyNash posted:

Every one is super sensitive to everything which creates tons of random melodrama and sometimes comedy.

not exactly something that's unique to shoujo tho

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Expect My Mom posted:

theres been like no melodrama in fruits basket so far tho? everyone has just talked about their personal stuff and tohru has been nsanely empathetic. They've hinted at secrets and manipulation but no one has acted in exaggerated or unreasonable ways

yeah I just watched the second episode and was waiting for the melodrama and there was none, mostly just some goofiness. It feels a bit dated despite the updated designs (man this is so much prettier than the original it's crazy) but overall is pretty solid. Tohru is great.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ViggyNash posted:

I mean of course not but it was certainly of the shoujo flavor, being a shoujo show.

Really? Because that second episode felt like 50% melodrama. Also melodrama doesn't mean drama about meaningless fluff. It just means that the emotional aspect of the drama is sharply highlighted.

Also I think I kind of hate Tohru as a character? Idk why, but I found myself getting progressively more frustrated by her over the course of the episode.

Yeah I'm not really enjoying the current cast so hopefully the future additions mellow that out.

But idk, maybe like I said before this show just isn't for me.

If you don't like it you don't like it that's fine but I think you are mischaracterizing this show like, a lot. Also being frustrated by a cheerful, strong-willed girl and also doing this disparaging "ew shoujo" thing is not making me feel very charitable toward your opinion tbh.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

Also Tohru reminds me a lot of Nanami from Kamisama Kiss and yes i know it really should be the other way around, but what can you do

yeah same

I bounced pretty hard off the original show despite everything about it being right up my alley and I don't really remember why anymore but it's nice taking a fresh look at it and that was something that occurred to me when I was watching the first episode. Also her friends are great :3

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
having read a fair bit of modern shoujo romance I can't say that spoilered stuff is something I run across all that often and it irks me to see the genre painted in a broad brush because of stuff written 20 years ago

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
some dude on CR figured out Midnight Occult Civil Servants

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I kinda like what it's doing with the coworkers' bias; Arata can understand the Anothers so he gets that they're intelligent but the rest of them have been seemingly operating under the assumption they were dealing with what were essentially animals so I hope there's some conflict brewing there to give the show a little more substance. I think he's going to have to stand up to them/for the anothers at some point but he's still the new guy with zero influence and no experience so it makes sense he'd go along with whatever they tell him right now.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

i would totally watch it but so far the summary sounds boring. Still waiting for a good BL anime.

it's coming

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
tbh i don't know how many people have actually made it through the other two seasons to be following s3 so I'm not expecting a whole lot of activity

I would encourage people to watch Bungo though it's a fun show

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
glasses occult civil servant is basically Mulder but with demons instead of aliens lol

also coyote boyfriend has joined the team :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

nielsm posted:

I'm somehow still watching Kono oto tomare, episode 4 is finally all about the instruments and the music and is so much better for it. All in all the anime is not very well directed, it seems to spend too much time on all the wrong things, but I'm sticking with it for now just because it's about a traditional musical instrument.

That's disappointing, seemed like this would be one that would benefit from animation and sound vs reading the manga but I might just read it and listen to some music on youtube or something instead.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Right now all I'm watching is Bungo and Midnight Occult Civil Servants but I still want to watch RobiHachi at some point.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
if you can't find something you like this season catch up on Bungo s1 and 2 then watch s3

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes they have author names and abilities based on stuff the authors wrote so for instance John Steinbeck has Grapes of Wrath

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
for the most part it's a good looking show too so if you want something with a unique gimmick and slick action it's not a bad choice

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it wants you to feel that you want dazai and chuuya to kiss hold hands

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

A Tin Of Beans posted:

midnight occult civil servants is fun, just imo

:yeah:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
new Given PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hBx06jPGec

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
here's the other half of the couple
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EcD66yrtX4

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I should get the last handful of volumes and finally finish reading that. It was the first manga I ever bought, back in college and I've slowly collected it ever since but haven't had the spare cash to finish up.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's actually not very much I'm looking forward to for the summer season but getting a BL anime based on an actually good manga instead of a trash one makes up for that.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

the only thing i've heard about mom isekai is that it feels written by someone who is indifferent to moms

why write an ln if you don't care about the niche you're putting it in?!

:homebrew:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol i thought that was like a short sleeve and an elbow pad from a person moving out of the frame and was like man that is a weird looking arm

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess they're doing one of these for each of the band members
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y8Eb4aJ2ns

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
that's a bad argument because he is, in fact, an ambulatory turd

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Droyer and I might be the only ones still watching it but Midnight Occult Civil Servants has been a pretty fun show. It doesn't win any awards visually so you need some tolerance for crappy animation, fair warning.

I went into it initially expecting something like Servant x Service but with yokai, but it ended up more serious -- it has lighthearted moments but overall is played straight rather than being a comedy. Something I like a lot about it is how the characters are dealing with problems that are on a scope of something like a natural disaster -- they aren't heroes, they're just dudes working this weird job trying to mitigate the worst of some weird poo poo a monster pulled for reasons unknown. One of the overarching plots wrapped up a couple of episodes ago and while locally everything resolved positively, the cause of the whole incident just moved somewhere else and started over; their job wasn't to stop it or kill anything, just help the people caught up in it as best they could.

The MC is the first guy who has even begun to get a handle on *why* the Anothers are doing the stuff they're doing, but he's also the lowest man on the totem pole as the new hire so he doesn't have the training, experience, or seniority to question anything the team has done previously (like throw smoke grenades at angels because they seemed threatening). I have ended up wishing the show would do more with that conflict instead of letting Arata just bumble along propelled by the actions of everyone else around him, he's kind of a doofus and so far hasn't grown out of that as much as I would like.

I wouldn't call it one of the best shows of the season or anything but it's different; there's a little bit of action but (well considering the animation having less is a plus) these guys aren't doing much fighting, they solve more of their cases through investigation or negotiation; everyone is an adult which is refreshing; and it mixes in some slice of life like having an episode devoted to Arata and Kohaku taking a walk through the city -- which is kind of a disaster because Kohaku is a god of misfortune and every Another they walk past freaks out accordingly but they're completely oblivious to it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the scene with them playing looks pretty good :0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwv4MiB08TY

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
throwing Golden Kamuy on the gay serial killer pile

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pootybutt posted:

Was surprised nobody mentioned Rakugo. Does it not happen in that?

Rakugo and also House of Five Leaves were mentioned in the twitter thread so it seemed redundant to bring them up, also as far as I know neither one has the explicit "I love you" statement you were looking for but there are very clearly a couple of dudes having some feelings for each other in both of them.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't watched all of Rakugo so I can't really discuss the plot, it doesn't but I don't know all the reasons behind it since I haven't seen that part!

House of Five Leaves is more of a thing right at the end, nothing is really said specifically but iirc it's pretty heavily implied. It's been a long time since I watched it and I really need to watch it again because it's very good and I love it (and also someday finish Rakugo...)

I think the thing is though that neither of those shows is a romantic one, but they have implied gay feelings on the part of one or more characters -- they aren't stated in black and white ILU statements which is what is apparently what is required to "count" but provide enough through context that the interpretation is valid.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm pretty hype for Given. I haven't read the manga but it's been on my list to read for a while and I've read some other stuff by the same author that I liked quite a bit.