Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I have no fuckin' idea what I'll be watching this season. Hitoribocchi I guess? Carole and Tuesday, sure? Sarazanmai, why not? But no real strong feelings about any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I suspect it will only end when the new dragon ball series starts. (Although it might keep going if it's popular enough)

Didn’t it just get another season announced? I assume that’s another year, and I can’t imagine DBS2 is that far out.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like it was kinda the victim of its own success in some ways - the finale would probably have blown me away coming from any other show, but the rest of the show had already set the bar somewhere in orbit, so I walked away from the finale mostly feeling like "yep, that was about right."

Great goddamn show, easy AOTS.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maera Sior posted:

Twitch is showing OPM and it's strange to see a chat filled with with people excited for season 2.

Someone please reassure me it will be ok.

It will be extremely unremarkable compared to the high visual bar set by the first season, but there's no particular reason to believe it will be an outright bad production.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hitori Bocchi's first episode was incredibly wholesome and charming IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Beasteh posted:

Boo Boo Pig Hip

:hai:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

I can find no flaws in this logic.

:same:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I still noticed that every time. it was almost charming how bad the background runners looked after a while

the cg stuff in yaiba isn't that bad but that kind of thing always raises some caution flags for me. don't think it'll get more obtrusive but it's def something that takes me out of things a bit

FWIW, the production crew apparently already has 10 episodes completely finished before the first one even aired, so they've got a very healthy buffer so far. Hopefully that means the CG won't become more intrusive down the line due to time constraints.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

What's the deal with OPM2? Sounds like it was farmed out to a lesser studio to meet a due date???

Less about the studio and more about the core creative staff, who are (I think) freelancers and just couldn't be reassembled for this one.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

From watching Revue Starlight and just general cultural osmosis of Ikuhara's previous works, I was expecting Sarazanmai to have a bit more innuendo and a bit less bodily fluid.

It seems real good at what it's trying to do, though I'm not sure if I'll personally be coming back to it weekly.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, C and T was easily my favorite premiere of the season. All setup, but effortlessly executed and immensely charming setup. Curious to see what they do with the premise.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kimetsu No Yaiba's second episode was better than the first, and I had already enjoyed the first quite a bit. Definitely think that I'm keeping this one on the watchlist.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, PAS had fansubs of C&T 1 out a day after it aired. It's good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Julias posted:

May it be better than the space fishing show from a couple seasons ago.

"Between The Sea And Sky" was a cool and evocative title that was utterly wasted on a bland and kinda ugly kids show. :smith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The email scene really is up there with the like 2 or 3 most emotional individual scenes I've ever seen in fiction. The first time I saw the repetition of Dear Mom, Dear Mom, Dear Mom come up on the laptop screen straight up had me thinking to myself "oh no, they've gotta stop this, this is too much, I can't take it" in the best possible way. I'm pretty sure I can count the number of works that have done that to me on one hand.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nichijou seems like an extremely difficult show to dub, but ganbatte I guess

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I'd still love to see the poor bastards that have to do Monogatari.

I said 'difficult' not 'impossible'.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dudermcbrohan posted:

a monogatari dub would probably be better than you’d expect because they’d have to actually try and rewrite puns and make decent reading subs

That's exactly why I'd expect it to be a nightmare tho

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I hope they're good :unsmith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Did they ever say what the delay was on that show?

Catastrophic production issues, hideous mismanagement, staff burnout, a complete collapse of their schedule. Sakuga Blog did a writeup on the wreckage a while back.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Davincie posted:

in a new chapter of the relentless pro militarization and pro gun campaign anime is throwing at us with franchises such as girls frontline, the moe sol 'rifle is beautiful' will be adapted into an anime

I know nothing about this IP, but those look like airsoft

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The OP in particular is fuckin' stunning. I'm not sure we'll see a better OP all year.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This is extremely petty of me, but I *am* a little annoyed that we get the shorts first. The name makes me think that they're just going to be the end-of-volume skits that haven't already been covered at the end of S1 episodes, so I can't imagine that the short episodes'll be more than like 3 minutes a pop. Enough to remind me how much I want more Yurucamp without giving me much new Yurucamp :argh:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

they had like 25% of kimetsu's first season banked months before it aired so i'm not terribly worried about any consequences of an investigation that probably won't mean a work stoppage or anything for the animation side

Yeah. The Sakuga Blog guy doesn't seem to anticipate any issues for Yaiba, at any rate.

It's after Yaiba's over that things start to get hairy, apparently.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I would think that, even in the worst case, Ufotable-is-dead-now scenario, enough of the key creatives are at a safe distance from the actual crimes that they wind up just getting hired to work on the same set of IPs at a different studio and nothing changes that much from the audience's perspective.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

So I'm not up on this particular bit of juicy gossip, what exactly did ufotable do

Short version: The company (not precisely sure who at, but presumably somebody important) appears to have committed tax fraud and misallocated funds from charity.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Cappy posted:

How did an animation company get charity funds in the first place?

I forget the details, but I believe it was along the lines of "hey we're selling cool Fate/Apocrypha poo poo and the proceeds go to charity (actually my pocket)!!" or something like that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That's good cheese

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

From the title and what little I had heard about it, it sounded like Goblin Slayer but fairies.

It is definitely not that

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That anime looks dope as hell, hope it comes together well. I really liked Yuasa's style on Devilman Crybaby - only problem was that I ultimately felt pretty indifferent to most of the rest of it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like the character designs

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Nyanpasu intensifies

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Buddy that's not even the fifth weirdest thing on Crunchy

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

Ooo A Silent Voice: take that, amazon rental I've been procrastinating on.

It's extremely good IMO. Might be the strongest storyboards I've seen from Yamada, and that's a very high bar.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shuuichi gets to tell Kumiko "Hey I like you romantically, let's go out" and then they go out. Reina has to exist in this netherworld of innuendo and "ah youth, transience, fleeting, how nostalgic~" and constantly remind everyone THAT THERE'S TOTALLY A MAN THAT SHE'S SUPER INTO IN A ROMANTIC WAY (also he's 35 and she doesn't even actually know the most basic loving things about him) - and the material literally never engages with this as a thing that is weird, or undesirable, or anything other than The Way Things Ought To Be. Nobody has literally ever even suggested to Reina that maybe her ideal of a romantic relationship with someone 20 years her senior might be anything other than a great idea! Everyone who ever talks to her about it just completely uncritically encourages her to go for it!

That is rancid, poisonous character writing, on its face, under any circumstances, even entirely aside from the impression, intentional or otherwise, that it exists solely to explain why Kumiko and Reina can't be a thing. And some vague notion that maybe, two more years from now, we might possibly do something with these characters that isn't incredibly lovely doesn't really change that. Neither does Liz And The Blue Bird spending an hour and half trying to work up the courage to say that maybe these girls might possibly kind of like each other more than girls usually do (but oh god that might be a bad thing maybe she loves her too much what if they can only reach their full potential and become Normal People by separating???), for that matter.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tir McDohl posted:

Wait, did I miss something? Didn't season 2 end with Kumiko confessing to Asuka?

Yep. What about it?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Have whatever opinions you like, but unasked and unearned moral righteousness is something no one has given you and nobody wants you to have, least of all the people you're ostensibly trying to speak in defense of.

I'm speaking in defense of myself, and my feelings as I watched the show. The way it treats its character relationships struck me as deeply ill-thought out and as consistently framing its core relationships as ultimately cheap and disposable. I get that in this context that complaint is hard to disentangle from accusations of "this show is homophobic/bad to lesbians/whatever", but that's what I was trying to do. I'm sorry I couldn't express that more clearly.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 2, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm sure he'll have an easy enough time finding a starring role in the next direct-to-video Left Behind movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/zoid9000/status/1137233355295117312

Likely to be our last bit of Geah news before the show itself starts. Most relevant bit is probably confirmation that this is expected to be the last TV Symphogear, which frankly sounds like a pretty good call to me barring a timeskip/new generation or something.

also

quote:

The PV has no new text or story information, but previews the new opening theme "METANOIA" by Nana Mizuki. The definition of Metanoia is: "a change in one's way of life resulting from penitence or spiritual conversion." Also if you take it backwards in Japanese: "Ai no ta me" which means "For Love".

:thunk: