Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this. is. the. season. of. yaiba!!!!

https://twitter.com/kimetsu_off/status/1109682988613132289

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if you're going to yell about how a show is weird or bad or reprehensible, you're not allowed to do it vaguely

be explicit so there's actually some use for the uninitiated

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i tried to watch s1 from the start as it aired and couldn't get over the hump

i think i ended up just watching both full seasons back to back and didn't have any complaints then, aside from the insert songs

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the anime was obviously planned in coordination with the remake of the vn

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

finally t&b will return and put double decker in its place

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Squidster posted:

Hell yeah T and B!

Who's the girl against the window? Is she a new character for this year, or from the movies...?

that's Pao-Lin/Dragon Kid, the Chinese themed hero sponsored by Calbee

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

lmfao

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yaiba good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

Have I missed the news, or has no one announced they're picking up Sarazanmai?

it's a noitamina show so i would assume amazon will put it up without much fanfare

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a kitten posted:

I'm unsure of their exclusivity deal's status now since Promised Neverland is noitamina and it was on Crunchyroll

huh, that's weird. it still has a few days to air either way and these announcements can come pretty close to the wire so i'm still hoping for a license somewhere

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's a shoujo twenty years removed from its cultural context. definitely has the familiar feel of 90's anime despite the modern production quality though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think the early cg snow was a bit obtrusive but then you have that bit where cg tanjiro vaults over a log and i was like "wow, this is good actually"

also the koto thing not having music immediately seems like a very small thing to be so hung up on lol. the show has like 11-12 more episodes to get to it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

Is funimation stuff only streaming through their own service? guess I can mark Fairy Gone off my list for now.

they have some sort of partnership with hulu, but i dunno if that means everything will show up there. also, the whole thing of hulu having ads is eh

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Oh I do know that I'm being a pedantic gently caress about it. Let's say I'm just too worried about this adaptation doing justice to the manga

when put in the context of a manga reader i understand it a bit more tbf, it just seemed like people were complaining apropos of nothing because the premise wasn't immediately fulfilled.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well it's a netflix show so presumably they have a ton of time and money to throw at it but the studio is gonzo's corpse so i don't think anyone should be optimistic

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

i mean it makes sense to have some taste of what the anime's gonna be about even if it's just a brief 30 second scene or something, or even it being used in the OP/ED or BGM or something. Like you don't need to dedicate a ton of time to it, but there's a reason why even slower-paced sports shows have a scene of the character watching the sport on tv or something in the first episode. Not having it at all in the first episode just tells the viewer that it isn't a priority or it isnt what the show is about. This can work with something where the base premise is some kind of twist, like Steins;Gate or something, but when its just dudes hanging out playing an instrument it sets the viewer's expectations oddly. Like imagine if Rakugo didn't have actual Rakugo in its first episode.

It's not about people demanding Koto immediately, it's about wanting to know what the show's priorities are and how it's going to handle what is ostensibly its premise. If you're looking for an anime about a thing and the show doesn't seem to care about that thing. it's pretty natural to be disappointed. The first episode is very important in setting up the viewer for what comes after.

it's def not structured like your typical club anime but the act of playing koto is pretty well centered in the show itself as well as the op/ed, even though you don't hear the music. i don't think it's at all a case of the show not caring about the instrument, but it cares more about establishing its characters and their relationship to the instrument than the act of them playing or having the music, and that's probably the expectation people should have based on the first episode. notably it has characters with pre-existing relationships to the koto (which are rather excessively detailed in the ep) so there's not really an opportunity for the expected scene of seeing [activity] and that reigniting a character's passion or motivating them to try it out. i don't think it was a flawless episode by any means but the only occasions where the koto is played are called out as bad or done by total newbies, so the lack of actual music did not surprise me and is probably better than if they led with awful music.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

idk, the anime is based more off of the murata redraw than ONE's original comic, and the former definitely has an issue with overindulgence in gorgeous action setpieces that has resulted in it being padded to hell with a sporadic release schedule. this issue wasn't really present in the first season material but we'll see how it's handled in the second.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

robihachi was one i wrote off based on a cheap-looking pv but the premiere was lowkey really good. color palette feels a bit off and i don't really like the villain designs but there's a lot of subtle touches to the animation that made it feel way smoother than i thought and the pacing was great. jokes and comedic premise seem solid, i don't really care about robby but the rabbit and hatchi are great. no idea where it'll go though

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

even just as a show, it's a premiere ep of a(n ikuhara) thing so it's a visual spectacle. since i haven't seen any of the hot takes i'm able to be this generous to the reaction i suppose

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

revisions had english subs so the whole thing was ripped and uploaded like immediately after hitting jp Netflix or some other region. fansubs are also being done for Carole & Tuesday

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this season is light so obviously now is the time to watch all three seasons of bungo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

idk, guns have such a different cultural context there that it seems fine

like that sol show is probably about sport shooting or airsoft like all the others

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

What's the deal with Crunchyroll getting shows that were exclusive to another service a few weeks after they started airing?
That annoyed me last season because I started paying for Hidive just to watch Bang Dream then a few weeks later Crunchyroll got it anyway, so if I knew I could have just waited and saved money. Is it like video games where now some streaming services can't get a show exclusively so they'll pay for timed exclusivity?

well if any show you want is on Hidive you can probably wait since they've got a partnership with VRV or Crunchyroll or...something, anyway their shows should end up in the same place most of the time. Funimation stuff is weirder because their partnership did end with CR yet they've been moving shows over to CR in the past couple weeks so who knows.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they had like 25% of kimetsu's first season banked months before it aired so i'm not terribly worried about any consequences of an investigation that probably won't mean a work stoppage or anything for the animation side

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that guy sounds insufferable

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

bungo is good but also it seems like s3's first half is gonna focus on characters named after Rimbaud and Paul Verlaine, who are ambiguously partners in the show but were lovers irl so I'm excited to see what they do in an already fujo show

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

That arc was adapted from a light novel and with how it concluded last ep, I doubt they're gonna return to it this season.

ango told me he was gonna share the next report!!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they're just going to have dazai press chuya's face into his crotch on screen

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I have a bad feeling that the Summer Season's going to be as dry as this current one. Jojo will have ended, leaving Kimetsu. So we get...Dr Stone, the Fireman anime, Detective Waver (El Meliol), Accelerator and Vinland Saga....nothing else.

you listed five shows, imo that's a pretty respectable showing for a season! keeping up with many more than that often ends up a hassle imo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

please forgive me for dropping you out of inertia, fruits basket :pray:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the only thing i've heard about mom isekai is that it feels written by someone who is indifferent to moms

why write an ln if you don't care about the niche you're putting it in?!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i thought shield hero was over

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I miss zoids.

did you not like the new one?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

y'all loving suck

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

people are just being tedious about kumiko and shuichi maybe being a thing

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the eupho stuff is kinda complex to me because like, i get wanting the gay rep and relationship to just be in the thing and be confirmed/front and center. i do also think there's value in having characters just be exploring relationships and sexuality in a way that results in stuff like kumireina coming and going, asukumi in s2 (and also the other couple from the first arc), and even a potential kumiko/shuichi thing. at the end of the day you've still had these intense and significant relationships between characters that matter to them even if they don't fall into traditional long-term relationship or happily ever after molds. if you wanna get reductive about it you still end up with kumiko at least being bi.

kind of independent of that though, the sort of lame shuichi jokes just feel like they come from a place of dissatisfaction that eupho didn't follow the expectations and discourse set up way back in season 1 when we were all so awestruck at kumireina and i just wish people would let the show just kinda, be a show instead of a target for those expectations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

actually i guess the thing i was trying to hit at about the jokes was, they seem to come from a place mad about "kumiko/shuichi happens" and not addressing or caring about any of the context of that

but since we haven't even seen the material adapted yet and i doubt most people have read the books, i guess its more understandable that the overall discourse level would still be at a low hum of hating that plot development, esp. with how it relates to wider media trends.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

something about him dating kumiko in the final book, and also the finale movie had a key visual that was just kumiko and shuichi fistbumping

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

really the worst thing about kumiko/shuichi is that katou got rejected :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hey it's not at the usual 3/4 angle