Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

i missed it. i know that there's an Apple credit card now, and you can subscribe to newspapers. did tim actually do any innovation this time or was it the same old horseshit.

he invented magazines, credit cards, and netflix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the only thing you missed is tim crying because he got to meet oprah

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Roosevelt posted:

i missed it. i know that there's an Apple credit card now, and you can subscribe to newspapers. did tim actually do any innovation this time or was it the same old horseshit.

it's a credit card but with goldman sachs!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Roosevelt posted:

 Card gives you daily cash back:

• 3% on purchases from ; Store/App Store/ Music, etc.
  • 2% on purchases from made with  Card via the  Pay app
  • 1% made with physical card.

Also, "No annual, cash‑advance, over-the-limit, or late fees." And on-device recording of data, using GPS and machine learning to figure out what each charge is for. Only in :911"

 Arcade subscription service

• 100+ games for one price (no idea the price. Free?)
  • Cloud saves with  TV, iPhone, etc support for all games (pretty sure)
  • No ads.
  • No in-app purchases.

 TV +

• Oprah
  • Like every major director making poo poo for it
  • Available in 100 countries

 TV Channels

• Subscribe to like any network's content all in one app

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Oh, and like everything includes Family Sharing for no extra cost

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

All announcements in 6 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKDESQmBzwE

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

this summary gives me great pleasure

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
thanks kevin

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

PleasureKevin posted:

Square Card gives you daily cash back:

The more you buy, the more cash you get back! Truly Atonishing.

Also, credit card fees in the US should be regulated like the EU does. Your fees are outrageous.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

14% to 24% interest rate on that credit card. "low fees"

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
rofl at how uncool apple are. This is jay leno hosting the launch of windows level

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

the talent deficit posted:

14% to 24% interest rate on that credit card. "low fees"

they walked back the "no penalties if you pay late" line too

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Amethyst posted:

rofl at how uncool apple are. This is jay leno hosting the launch of windows level

a team full of 60+ white guys is uncool ? but they showcased a bunch of minorities in the keynote

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

PleasureKevin posted:

 Card gives you daily cash back:

• 3% on purchases from ; Store/App Store/ Music, etc.
  • 2% on purchases from made with  Card via the  Pay app
  • 1% made with physical card.

Also, "No annual, cash‑advance, over-the-limit, or late fees." And on-device recording of data, using GPS and machine learning to figure out what each charge is for. Only in :911"

 Arcade subscription service

• 100+ games for one price (no idea the price. Free?)
  • Cloud saves with  TV, iPhone, etc support for all games (pretty sure)
  • No ads.
  • No in-app purchases.

 TV +

• Oprah
  • Like every major director making poo poo for it
  • Available in 100 countries

 TV Channels

• Subscribe to like any network's content all in one app

you forgot the jumpsuit

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hell yeah let's all discuss the repayment terms of a credit card for 20 pages. yospos bitch

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

can't wait for the live thread of the walmart annual meeting. we can discuss their exciting layaway programs innovations

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the reason for the AirPower delay is probably that Apple is proposing it's modifications to the Qi standard to the Wireless Power Consortium. They are probably just taking forever to scrutinize the heck out of everything and be slow as gently caress like any committee. If Apple goes ahead without the standard being approved, they may not be classified as a Qi charger and other chargers may not support the devices/features.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol no it's because they can't get it to work how they want

apple doesn't give a poo poo about meeting qi standards. does it work with all your apple devices? yes? then it does what they care about. no android user is going to spend $150 on a qi charger no better than one they can get for $20

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

the reason for the AirPower delay is probably that Apple is proposing it's modifications to the Qi standard to the Wireless Power Consortium. They are probably just taking forever to scrutinize the heck out of everything and be slow as gently caress like any committee. If Apple goes ahead without the standard being approved, they may not be classified as a Qi charger and other chargers may not support the devices/features.

Haha yes

Apple is making it SO AWESOME, it's just taking way longer than usual, just like the watch

That's the only logical explanation, and not that they can't get it to work right

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

PleasureKevin posted:

it's because it gets so hot it burns the surface it rests on and jonny apple won't let them put little legs on it

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Haha yes

Apple is making it SO AWESOME, it's just taking way longer than usual, just like the watch

That's the only logical explanation, and not that they can't get it to work right

this reads like you obviously replied to the wrong post. but I'll expand on what I'm talking about anyway:

Apple spokesperson posted:

Apple is an active member of many standards development organizations, as both a leader and contributor. Apple is joining the Wireless Power Consortium to be able to participate and contribute ideas to the open, collaborative development of future wireless charging standards. We look forward to working together with the WPC and its members.

Going a bit from memory here: but while the Apple Watch is not advertised as Qi-compliant, it apparently works with Qi chargers. I believe the non-compliant aspect is the size of the coil inside. Apple had to engineer a way for this to work in a smaller space. I believe the case is the same with the AirPod case.

But perhaps more impressively the AirPower handles up to 3 devices, and allow the devices to communicate with one another.

Phil Schiller posted:

We hope people love it, that it encourages others to create more advanced solutions based on technologies like this. [...] Apple plans to work with the Qi standards team to bring AirPower's features to other charging solutions in the future.

If Apple's proposals to the QI standard aren't accepted before AirPower launches, they may have to drop the Qi certification. They may then lose patents licensed to them by the Wireless Power Consortium. Worst case scenario, they then have to re-engineer AirPower that could hypothetically break compatibility with previous generations devices.

This is just speculation. But AirPower was demonstrated working on- stage and to journalists. What's more likely: a tech company that builds smartphones with custom CPUs on a yearly basis can't assemble a wireless charger, or that notoriously slow consortiums are taking too long to approve it's new contributions to the standard and certify the product?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

PleasureKevin posted:

What's more likely: a tech company that builds smartphones with custom CPUs on a yearly basis can't assemble a wireless charger, or that notoriously slow consortiums are taking too long to approve it's new contributions to the standard and certify the product?

The former is way more likely. The latter isn't really how these industry standards bodies work (in that they don't get sent products they certify). And Apple doesn't have to print a "Qi" logo on their products anyways, so it doesn't matter what's part of the standard.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
apple would just put AirPower under the "MFi" license or something if their implementation worked better than the slow moving industry standard acceptance

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

creationist believer posted:

apple would just put AirPower under the "MFi" license or something if their implementation worked better than the slow moving industry standard acceptance

no, this is totally different that what cable you ship with your device. the WPC wants tables in public places like cafes equipped with Qi charging. there was a battle between Qi and another standard to get Starbucks, McDonalds, etc to exclusively use their charging standard. they realized this would have been hell and both competitors joined WPC to standardize Qi. for Apple to come along and restart that turf war would be an exhaustive battle that benefits nobody.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i didnt watch the keynote did timb release the sex

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think pk has the right idea about there being some certification/patent grant interaction causing issues when it comes to apples wireless charging take, that is a hugely complicated ip landscape and they almost certainly need a lot of patents from other parties, and have a lot of patents themselves that they might not want to frand out there

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
so when apple demoed airpower it wasn't for consumers but an ultimatum to the qi consortium?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
behold the power of this fully operational wireless charger

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

no, this is totally different that what cable you ship with your device. the WPC wants tables in public places like cafes equipped with Qi charging. there was a battle between Qi and another standard to get Starbucks, McDonalds, etc to exclusively use their charging standard. they realized this would have been hell and both competitors joined WPC to standardize Qi. for Apple to come along and restart that turf war would be an exhaustive battle that benefits nobody.
you're conflating things here.

iphones are already qi compliant. you can place your iphone and presumably your airpod case on any qi charger and they'll charge (last i checked iwatches have some drm or something and won't with with an arbitrary qi charger).

apple making a charger with a superset of features does not affect this in the slightest. at worst, it would mean someone putting an android on an airpower mat results in nothing happening. but this isn't terribly likely. google has already released a qi charger that uses a superset of features that only work with pixel phones, while any other qi-compliant phone (to include iphones) will just charge at the standard qi rate. if apple's not launching airpower, it has nothing to do with complying with a standards committee since they could just make it a superset of qi like they made the w1/h1 a superset of bluetooth. because let's be real here: no one but the most deeply embedded apple bitch is going to buy this thing, anyway, and even for them it'll be a tough sell at this point considering they've been making qi devices for a year and a half and you've been able to buy $20 chargers on amazon the entire time.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PleasureKevin posted:

This is just speculation. But AirPower was demonstrated working on- stage and to journalists. What's more likely: a tech company that builds smartphones with custom CPUs on a yearly basis can't assemble a wireless charger, or that notoriously slow consortiums are taking too long to approve it's new contributions to the standard and certify the product?

there's a third option - a tech company known for putting outer form factor at a higher priority than cooling is unwilling to modify their advertised design despite encountering major difficulties putting 20-30W of inductive charging in a 6"x4" mat made of a bunch of overlapping coils.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also jony insists on making it out of a solid brick of milled aluminum

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

THIS MEEME IS WRONG ITS BACKWARDS HE SEES BLURRY WITH HIS GLASSES AND NORMAL WITHOUT BECASUE THE RADIOACTTIVE SPIDER BITE MADE HIS VISOIN PERFECT

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

THIS MEEME IS WRONG ITS BACKWARDS HE SEES BLURRY WITH HIS GLASSES AND NORMAL WITHOUT BECASUE THE RADIOACTTIVE SPIDER BITE MADE HIS VISOIN PERFECT

thank you

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Haha yes

PleasureKevin posted:

this reads like you obviously replied to the wrong post. but I'll expand on what I'm talking about anyway:

Going a bit from memory here: but while the Apple Watch is not advertised as Qi-compliant, it apparently works with Qi chargers. I believe the non-compliant aspect is the size of the coil inside. Apple had to engineer a way for this to work in a smaller space. I believe the case is the same with the AirPod case.

But perhaps more impressively the AirPower handles up to 3 devices, and allow the devices to communicate with one another.

If Apple's proposals to the QI standard aren't accepted before AirPower launches, they may have to drop the Qi certification. They may then lose patents licensed to them by the Wireless Power Consortium. Worst case scenario, they then have to re-engineer AirPower that could hypothetically break compatibility with previous generations devices.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/3/29/18287383/apple-airpower-wireless-charger-cancelled

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

thanks for the pleasure, Comfy Fleece Sweater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pleasurekevowned