Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Raere posted:

Third episode was way too on the nose and completely predictable. It wasn't spooky or weird. Most of all, the story could've been told in half the time. Commenting on society is cool and good but I'm watching the show because I want to be entertained, not looking at the clock.

I could see that. The hour-long format was the kiss of death for original episodes too. It does get draggy from 30 minutes on.

E: Quoting for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The mom didn't react at all like anyone else would have with the rewind time mechanic. She sees the lotto and uses it to pull one over on her son instead of jamming that thing back a few hours? She sees the cop kill her son and she doesn't immediately think to use the camera?

Faaart

Welp that's the opposite of a twilight episode. Felt like the Kendall Jenner pepsi ad stretched over 45 minutes

Doltos fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 12, 2019

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I actually thought tonight's episode was pretty effective even if it gets too on-the-nose by the end.

I think this has been a pretty good revival so far but the hour-long runtime isn't really doing it any favors. It feels like every episode so far has a bloated midsection where they're just having the main character react the same way to the same supernatural thing happening over and over and over again, to the point where they're just padding for time to fill out an extra thirty minutes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Complaining about Twilight Zone being on-the-nose is like complaining that potatoes taste too much like potatoes

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It might be easy to dismiss the episode as on-the-nose if all you got out of it was "racist cops bad".

But I think a strong element of the premise is the way it addresses victim blaming and just-world BS. Every time one of these shootings happens IRL, there's armchair commentators saying "they should have done X, they should have done Y, they should have complied, they shouldn't have committed an infraction". I thought it was clever to use timeline-superpowers to call that out and depict how marginalized groups are targeted irrespective of circumstance, compliance, or guilt.

Hell, the "I don't believe that's your car" scenario was pulled from the headlines, so if that seemed too over-the-top, I have bad news about reality.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

It might be easy to dismiss the episode as on-the-nose if all you got out of it was "racist cops bad".

But I think a strong element of the premise is the way it addresses victim blaming and just-world BS. Every time one of these shootings happens IRL, there's armchair commentators saying "they should have done X, they should have done Y, they should have complied, they shouldn't have committed an infraction". I thought it was clever to use timeline-superpowers to call that out and depict how marginalized groups are targeted irrespective of circumstance, compliance, or guilt.

Hell, the "I don't believe that's your car" scenario was pulled from the headlines, so if that seemed too over-the-top, I have bad news about reality.

One part I liked was I asked myself "Why doesn't she just chat with him and pay his bill or something so he at least has 'Well they're one of the good ones' in his mind?" and she does exactly that and the situation unfolds worse than any other timeline.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Supercar Gautier posted:

That's a good point. Maybe they should have had less filler and more instances of the cop getting her at every rewind until she finally snaps and doesn't rewind.

My main issue though is she was given a time rewind device and did nothing that an actual human being would do with that. I thought she was going to rewind too far or something as the twist to the episode but nope.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Supercar Gautier posted:

The only part I really had an issue with was the scene at the college gates, where the main character straight up tells you what the episode is about and the metaphor gets absurdly literal

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It wasn't that bad because old Twilight Zone used to do that.

I was annoyed at the start of the episode because she was so dumb with it, but once they made the inevitability thing match up with the hotel room conversation, it stopped bothering me.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
My major issue was that after all the time that had passed, that cops were always immediately waiting outside their house. Waiting and watching for the camcorder to be broken I guess? So they could leap and enact their random, extreme racism. Man, that ending was heavy handed and stupid.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

HorseRenoir posted:

I think this has been a pretty good revival so far but the hour-long runtime isn't really doing it any favors. It feels like every episode so far has a bloated midsection where they're just having the main character react the same way to the same supernatural thing happening over and over and over again, to the point where they're just padding for time to fill out an extra thirty minutes.

Yup, this is exactly how I feel 3 episodes in. The next episode looked interesting, and that'll be the make-or-break one for me.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

discworld is all I read posted:

My major issue was that after all the time that had passed, that cops were always immediately waiting outside their house.

They are though.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Boru posted:

I'm really liking this show, like a lot. It feels very true to the pointed (if not heavy handed) political commentary of the original and its managed to run a chill down my spine every episode so far!

I'm irrationally annoyed that people are hating on it so much in online rating places. Weird that only the episodes starring brown people seem to be getting review bombed. It just makes me laugh when these shitheels are like "its too political" or "its just not scary enough." Like have they never actually watched the original? It's thing never was outright terror, but more like chills and "weird" fiction. Bah, I just don't want the show to get canceled.
loving :lol: that the post IMMEDIATELY AFTER THIS did all of this!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You guys, I'm shocked and appalled that Jordan Peele of all people is including a relevant message about social justice into his work. I mean, who could've seen that one coming?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Doltos posted:

My main issue though is she was given a time rewind device and did nothing that an actual human being would do with that. I thought she was going to rewind too far or something as the twist to the episode but nope.

It'd be one thing if we were watching a time travel comedy, but that's not what this is; this is exactly how magical realism works. The family didn't react the way any sane person would react to her story either, because the important thing is that a black family being threatened by a racist cop is already way too real.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Argue posted:

It'd be one thing if we were watching a time travel comedy, but that's not what this is; this is exactly how magical realism works. The family didn't react the way any sane person would react to her story either, because the important thing is that a black family being threatened by a racist cop is already way too real.

This is exactly how magical realism works... because we know how magical realism works? Also why does it have to be a time travel comedy for someone to rewind too far? That could easily have horror elements added to it. Your second sentence doesn't make any sense either I'm not sure you thought out your point here.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Doltos posted:

That's a good point. Maybe they should have had less filler and more instances of the cop getting her at every rewind until she finally snaps and doesn't rewind.

By actual human being do you mean a white person? Because a black woman using a time travel device to protect her son from the cops seems like something a normal person would do.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grem posted:

By actual human being do you mean a white person? Because a black woman using a time travel device to protect her son from the cops seems like something a normal person would do.

The hell is this interpretation it doesn't matter what the skin color is someone with a magical rewind device probably would have went further back than the diner scene over and over again. Or maybe that's as far as it could go because it can only go back to a recording.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The point of the episode wasn't to tell a "what would you do with this superpower?" story. Sure, you could write a story where she starts abusing the camera to win lotteries and bet on sporting events and eventually pays a karmic debt and rewinds someone's birth and gets Dorian-Greyed or w/e. That would be a staple Twilight Zone kind of story, but we JUST had The Comedian and that's not what this episode was trying to be.

Keep in mind that the cop's inevitability-powers are also part of the premise. Not so overtly supernatural, but still uncanny. They can't use the camera to have superpower fun-time the way you imagine you would, because the catch is that he always finds a way to gently caress things up.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, the conceit was that you only rewound to a recording, and the cop was a confrontation that would always exist, so you had to find a solution to it. Which was hugely Twilight Zone allegorical.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I really enjoyed both of the last 2 episodes. They have been perfectly Twilight Zone although I would agree that as much as I love Jordan Peele he just doesn’t add what Serling did.

I will always think of Officer Lasky as the yellow king and be completely creeped out by him so that was incredibly effective (for me).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Darko posted:

Yeah, the conceit was that you only rewound to a recording, and the cop was a confrontation that would always exist, so you had to find a solution to it. Which was hugely Twilight Zone allegorical.

Yeah that's a good point. I wish they did more instances of cop rewind. Woulda made the big standup at the end more impactful.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

My major issue was that after all the time that had passed, that cops were always immediately waiting outside their house. Waiting and watching for the camcorder to be broken I guess? So they could leap and enact their random, extreme racism.

holy poo poo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That was a really good episode and it was extremely Twilight Zone, looking forward to next week's.

Also lmao at the guy who didn't get the ending when Jordan Peele was literally there to explain the loving metaphor.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

so each episode is referencing the last one? That's always fun.

Anyways, I've liked all 3 stories so far but yah they need to cut 5-7 minutes to each episode.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HorseRenoir posted:

The only part I really had an issue with was the scene at the college gates, where the main character straight up tells you what the episode is about and the metaphor gets absurdly literal

Seems to me like cops would shoot someone even if people are recording them. I mean, that literally happens all the time now and they wear bodycams that record themselves shooting the crap outta people. Not sure why the show presented that as the solution.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Its the only reason anyone cares now. Before everyone had cams, cops were even worse, but nobody believed black people, no matter how much they complained about it.

Combine that with all the "white person calls cops on black person for just living their lives" and realize thats when someone was already ready to record and extrapolate that to the whole.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Show is good. Twilight Zone has never been about subtlety, complex characterization, or clever twists, so complaints along those lines are bad. It's a mood piece and these episodes have been good and moody.

When the mom stood up to the police I thought I might be watching a San Junipero type moment where the series defied its own conventions. That setup made the ending extra dour. Which is not a criticism, cuz I thought this was the best episode so far.

Risky
May 18, 2003

I thought Replay would be take on something the son said about how everything is pre-determined and it was in his destiny to die at the hands of a racist cop. No matter how many times you rewind time, fate has already dictated your outcome.

Great episode, can't wait for the next one.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

My major issue was that after all the time that had passed, that cops were always immediately waiting outside their house. Waiting and watching for the camcorder to be broken I guess? So they could leap and enact their random, extreme racism. Man, that ending was heavy handed and stupid.

I just can't imagine how you miss the point so hard.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zesty posted:

Like the show literally has a narrator to explain it out loud, lmao

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Seems to me like cops would shoot someone even if people are recording them. I mean, that literally happens all the time now and they wear bodycams that record themselves shooting the crap outta people.
The cop literally said this when all the students were filming him. The whole point was that cameras aren't magic and won't save you. The cops backed down in that one instance, but they knew they didn't have to and the cameras were only a temporary stop-gap.

I thought this episode went too far in explaining itself, but I guess it didn't go far enough.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Zesty posted:

Bicyclops posted:

Like the show literally has a narrator to explain it out loud, lmao
That's the problem though; I understand that they were trying to get across that community, togetherness, remembering the past to not repeat the mistakes in the future, etc. are all positive means to fighting systemic racism but that's not a panacea for all the woes brought on by systemic racism. The camera as a device to allow her an almost infinite amount of opportunities to go over and over again seemingly fruitless endeavors to avoid the cop before going back to her roots and getting assistance from not only her family, but later the community at large, that was all fine. It's just that the ending seemed farcical. But that's just how I took it, and I fully admit that I'm sometimes dumb as hell.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
these kinds of discussions mostly just tell me that they overcomplicated it and drew people's attention to the wrong stuff

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

That's the problem though; I understand that they were trying to get across that community, togetherness, remembering the past to not repeat the mistakes in the future, etc. are all positive means to fighting systemic racism but that's not a panacea for all the woes brought on by systemic racism. The camera as a device to allow her an almost infinite amount of opportunities to go over and over again seemingly fruitless endeavors to avoid the cop before going back to her roots and getting assistance from not only her family, but later the community at large, that was all fine. It's just that the ending seemed farcical. But that's just how I took it, and I fully admit that I'm sometimes dumb as hell.

If anything it’s the opposite. Too smart for your own good on this one, mate.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

these kinds of discussions mostly just tell me that they overcomplicated it and drew people's attention to the wrong stuff

Oh, they definitely did that. Like, the scene with the lottery was weird. It made it seem like there was going to be some other angle to the story but it never paid off in any way.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This was the first and only episode I've seen so far. Are these all based on the original episodes or completely brand new? Not that racism is solved now, but I could see the concept working better back then. I guess it would've been too edge, though maybe the ending kind of hints at it, that the solution is :murder:

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

This was the first and only episode I've seen so far. Are these all based on the original episodes or completely brand new? Not that racism is solved now, but I could see the concept working better back then. I guess it would've been too edge, though maybe the ending kind of hints at it, that the solution is :murder:

These have all been new plots. “Nightmare at 30,000 Feet” has the same setting and basic premise as a classic episode, however.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

garthoneeye posted:

These have all been new plots. “Nightmare at 30,000 Feet” has the same setting and basic premise as a classic episode, however.

This one had the same original premise as Rewind from the 2000 series, but took it in a different direction. In Rewind a compulsive gambler uses a time-traveling tape recorder to finally beat the house, gets roped into a high-stakes game against the pit boss that his pride won't let him back out of even though by that point he's set for life, and then loses because the boss also has a recorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Darko posted:

It's reminiscent of the X-Files Groundhog Day episode.