Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Heard this has a trump-referencing episode. this comes from someone in my DnD group who watches Ben Shitpeero, so how accurate is he being, or is he just seeing poo poo that isnt there or what

It's the laziest Trump-bashing ever ("Trump is a literal child who throws tantrums") so you and your Ben Shapiro-worshiping DnD buddy can both hate-watch it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

By popular demand posted:

Neither this episode nor child prez actually map to Trump in any clear way, so tell your friend maybe his subconscious is trying to tell him something.
The Wunderkind is absolutely 100%, could not be any clearer, about Trump. It's also really dumb and bad and no one should watch it. In a season where the quality has occasionally risen to the level of "not terrible, I guess", it is easily the worst episode.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I think you'll find that it's the one term prez who loses at the start of the episode who's a stand in for Trump.
:smugdon:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I'm starting to wonder if this show is actually meant for highschool teachers to use in classes. The way the messages are spelled out so clearly and repeatedly would mean that most kids would pick up on them without prompting, and give the teacher multiple things to point out as supporting evidence. Point of Origin in particular struck me as almost being purpose-made for easy analysis.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Not All Men starts strong - the scene where Annie gets creeped on by her pushy date is way too real and relatable - but it fumbles the sci-fi stuff. The whole "it was a placebo!" twist isn't well-delivered. The rock made their eyes red and their voices go all crazy, so like, by definition it wasn't a placebo, even if it didn't actually cause significant mental changes. Plus it definitely seems like her nephew was fighting against some kind of material force when he fought off the rock's influence, rather than like, abstract toxic masculinity. It doesn't need to be actually a placebo for the metaphor to work, you know?

I did like the guys at the fountain gleefully supping the red water. Was a good visual metaphor for men destroying themselves by engaging in the worst version of masculinity.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The thing that bugged me about the "placebo" thing is that before that could work, a rumour would have to get around about the meteor's effects. Placebos are based on suggestibility, but the suggestion of "meteors make dudes wild out" didn't seem to emerge until after they were already well into doing that.

But the episode wasn't really about the literal mechanics of it, so whatever.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It reminds me of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but like, if at the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers someone gasped and was like, "the pods were just some random space plants, they didn't do anything...all those people were corrupted by the menace of communism, and willingly chose their new life!". Like, just so on the nose.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Have the episodes been getting shorter too? This and the last one were only around 43 minutes, same with 30,000 feet I think.

Felt enjoyable at least, I liked the kind of not-50s looks they had in parts.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This show has deftly slipped right past being merely bad and is now just straight embarrassing.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan Peele sat down with the producers once the CBS deal was announced and had a literal checklist of woke poo poo he needed them to cover.

Politics (Trump is a child omg lol!!)
Racism
Sexism
Immigration
Gun control probably in the next episode

When your show is a platform for activism it isn't conducive to much creativity.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
It almost feels like the polar opposite of Black Mirror in how unsubtle the social commentary is. I don't expect Kafka but come on.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Former Human posted:

When your show is a platform for activism it isn't conducive to much creativity.

Is this your first exposure to The Twilight Zone or something? The original show already covered almost every single topic you mentioned (if you broaden ‘gun control’ to cover violence and the horrors of war).

The original show wasn’t exactly subtle either. Sometimes you need to beat people over the head with the moral of the story.

Criticizing the show for weak plots and bad dialogue is fine, god knows there have been poo poo episodes this season. But if you’re taking issue with the show trying to tackle social issues then you either don’t understand what the Twilight Zone has been about since its original incarnation or you’re the target audience for the moral and you feel personally attacked.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 17, 2019

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Complaining about wokeness seems like an odd area of focus. Plenty of other (actual) problems with the show.

That photoshop looks like the title card for a youtuber show about liberal hollywood though, lol

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is this your first exposure to The Twilight Zone or something? The original show already covered almost every single topic you mentioned (if you broaden ‘gun control’ to cover violence and the horrors of war).

The original show wasn’t exactly subtle either. Sometimes you need to beat people over the head with the moral of the story.

Criticizing the show for weak plots and bad dialogue is fine, god knows there have been poo poo episodes this season. But if you’re taking issue with the show trying to tackle social issues then you either don’t understand what the Twilight Zone has been about since its original incarnation or you’re the target audience for the moral and you feel personally attacked.

Agreed. The actual messages of the episodes are mostly good, and the episodes are also mostly good. They're just a little hokey in places. Like, I thought Nightmare at 30,000 Feet was pretty great, and didn't beat you over the head with the point. The Comedian ruled. The only really bad one for my money so far is A Traveler, and that's just because it's a bad script that doesn't sell its premise.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't believe that science fiction show, The Twilight Zone, is overtly political and often lacks subtlety, unlike the Rod Serling original series.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
wasnt the twilight zone the source of that Futurama skit with all the most cliche tropes being wheeled out before someone just stares into the camera and says "actually the monster is man."

those guys seemed to get it

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Peacoffee posted:

Complaining about wokeness seems like an odd area of focus. Plenty of other (actual) problems with the show.

That photoshop looks like the title card for a youtuber show about liberal hollywood though, lol

the name "twiwoke zone" sounds like something The Quartering would make up and throw onto a shirt.

bring back old gbs posted:

wasnt the twilight zone the source of that Futurama skit with all the most cliche tropes being wheeled out before someone just stares into the camera and says "actually the monster is man."

those guys seemed to get it

Yes.

LifeLynx posted:

It's the laziest Trump-bashing ever ("Trump is a literal child who throws tantrums") so you and your Ben Shapiro-worshiping DnD buddy can both hate-watch it together.

No...I'm probably just going to have to stop hanging out with him, it's getting to the point where I can't go in public with him, and I realized that when he turned to me during detective pikachu in a theater full of children and started talking about some youtuber getting outed as a pedophile(of course he said "KID FUCKER", and loudly and multiple times) that he'd heard about from Mr. Metokur...

I've been managing to lie to myself that he's a passable human being by only seeing him in situations where he's not able to start blah blah blah-ing about politics. I used to have a 20+ minute "relax, open your bags of chips and say hello" before DnD and now it's "we start two minutes after I arrive" and that held it off for a few months but now he'll just do anything to interrupt the game.
Every conversation possible like, "Heh, I've been fiddling with the Duolingo app and learning a bit of Klingon, LOL"
"thats hilarious I was loving around with it and learned how to say "this is my cat" in high valyrian"
"Haha thats funny DID YOU KNOW THE SJWS WILL PROBABLY TRY TO GET IT BANNED THEY CALL EVERYTHING FASCIST AND THEY'RE THE REAL FASCISTS AND THEY'RE TRYING TO TAKE OUR FREEDOMS AWAY I WAS WATCHING TIM POOL AND THE QUARTERING(TWO EXTREMELY CENTER LEFT INDIVIDUALS) AND THE SJWS ARE ENCROACHING ON OUR FREEDOMS BECAUSE THEY'RE TRYING TO REPLACE US-"

Sigh. I've been pussy footing around this for a year and it gets worse and worse. :/

Sorry for the blog

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It sucks when you lose someone to right-wing radicalization, condolences.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Bicyclops posted:

It sucks when you lose someone to right-wing radicalization, condolences.

I really wish there was like "my friend/s turned into right-wing shitheads anonymous"

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Sounds like that dude needs a break from the internet.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I just saw Point of Origin and I think I know exactly my problem with this series: running time. Each episode has its own running time and you can feel how that lack of limit makes the stories lose steam and just flop towards the ending line. I hope they put a 30-minute limit on the episodes next season, because I really like pretty much everyone involved in this.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Did that last episode (S1 E8) have commericials mixed in for anyone else? Not just CBS promos but also normal ads, that could not be skipped? None of the other ones did.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Did that last episode (S1 E8) have commericials mixed in for anyone else? Not just CBS promos but also normal ads, that could not be skipped? None of the other ones did.

Mine didn’t. Your CBS All Access may have switched to the add supported one.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Caught the last one, about the immigration thing. Seems the show continues to be mediocre. After four or five like this I won't be bothering with the rest. A shame.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Bicyclops posted:

I can't believe that science fiction show, The Twilight Zone, is overtly political and often lacks subtlety, unlike the Rod Serling original series.

Yes but that show ran in the 50s and 60s when the points it was trying to make were often unsaid in the mainstream media and therefore they were often unique and interesting, plus a lack of subtlety was perhaps welcome to really hammer the message home.

Nowadays pretty much every other tv show is or has made the points being made that this series has ham fistedly put into its episodes and those others shows usually have a lot more interesting things to say about the subject matter. This is so far below the quality of Jordon Peele's other works that i'm surprised he's happy to be associated with it. But likely he just got offered a boatload of money so fair enough to him.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The problem isn't even necessarily that the show's being "woke".

If you find the right metaphor and say something distinctive, you can sell a progressive message really well. I genuinely think Rewind is a good example; a time loop is a really good device to address just-world "here's what the victim SHOULDA done" attitudes about police shootings. It makes a specific argument against a real worldview you see expressed all the time.

Point of Origin sucks because it just goes "what if racism... happened to white lady????". The Wunderkind sucks because it's just "what if popular president... actually incompetent and evil???". It's not that the messages are too woke, it's that they're facile and contribute nothing to any conversation.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think The Wunderkind is genius, but I don't think its message is just "Trump is a literal toddler" or "The President is evil." It's that if you latch yourself to a narcissist in an effort to grant him power for your own career, you're eventually going to be faced with the ugly choice that the power you gave him has consequences that are bad for you and everyone you know, and he's going to sell you out. The unfortunate protagonist of the story is the enabler, not the actual tyrant.

They use a kid to do it as a callback to the Billy Mumy episode of the original series and because a spoiled child is a very easy representation of how hosed up the privileged class are in our current political climate.

It isn't subtle, it has pacing issues, and it doesn't tow the line between comedy and darkness as well as it should, but it is a little broader than "Trump bad."

Also, I just realized I'm an episode behind, I have to watch the one with Ginny Goodwin.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've seen every episode of the original, good, clever, interesting series. You're being a condescending rear end. Not every episode of the original show consisted of half-baked social commentary. Gasp, they actually dared to use the medium for fun stories, or horror stories, or poignant ones, etc. Granted, this new series is only eight episodes in, but it has a very inauspicious start.

The mental gymnastics people on these forums go through to volunteer as apologists for garbage TV never ceases to amaze.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I can't finish the latest episode because it's boring. I think even Jordan Peele agrees with me, because he seemed bored as the narrator for this ep too.
I do enjoy schadenfreude for the privileged, though

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

The original Twilight Zone for the most part seemed to care more about its protagonists. The people who ended the episode destroyed were either bad people to begin with or as a result of their own “monkey paw” style actions.

Maybe just world scenarios don’t fly anymore today, but I think the show could do with a few more episodes that end happy or at least neutral.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Former Human posted:

I've seen every episode of the original, good, clever, interesting series. You're being a condescending rear end. Not every episode of the original show consisted of half-baked social commentary. Gasp, they actually dared to use the medium for fun stories, or horror stories, or poignant ones, etc. Granted, this new series is only eight episodes in, but it has a very inauspicious start.

The mental gymnastics people on these forums go through to volunteer as apologists for garbage TV never ceases to amaze.

The mental gymnastics you go through to determine that something with a message can't be creative never ceases to amaze me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

garthoneeye posted:

The original Twilight Zone for the most part seemed to care more about its protagonists. The people who ended the episode destroyed were either bad people to begin with or as a result of their own “monkey paw” style actions.

Maybe just world scenarios don’t fly anymore today, but I think the show could do with a few more episodes that end happy or at least neutral.

Half of them did, and half of them were characters like the guy who kept detailed lists of who he thought was a communist and phoned everyone about it until, magically, he shrunk to the size of an ant and was eaten by his own parrot. I legit can't tell if people have some serious rose-tinteds about the old show (for reference, I love it), or if there's something about the old-timey charm of unsubtle liberal rage commentary from an era we were not a part of. Look at, for example, the boxing episode, with the kid who desperately needs the boxer to believe in wishes, the aforementioned red scare guy, or even the couple of Rod-being-angry-at-Hollywood episodes (the one in which someone has a tape recorder that can create real people and the one with a clawing Hollywood screenwriter who accidentally resurrects Shakespeare and makes him write for a TV show).

The original Twilight Zone didn't apologize for what it was. It was overtly political, it leaned on "and I must scream" tropes that were already definitely around, and it relied on stuff like close, claustrophobic shots, hiring extremely talented actors, and giving them more time to talk to themselves, sweating, in front of a camera, than was probably warranted for the time. It didn't matter that it used the same couple of stock songs for a lot of its big moments, or that Satan kept showing up, or that Rod was angry at literal Nazis a lot of the time, because something about it just clicked.

It's fine if there's something about it being contemporary that makes it uncomfortable, or if there's something about HD and color that makes the camera work feel hosed (a lot of the episode with Ginny Goodwin, in particular the grocery store sequence, was very reminiscent of the kind of camera work the old show does), maybe it just doesn't work for you. The runtime being an issue is also totally fine to bring up, because even the original show ran into criticisms with that in season 4.

It's still super weird to see people criticize the show for being too on-the-nose, for having predictable gotcha endings that fall apart if you think about them for a moment (seriously, the revelation line in To Serve Man makes absolutely no sense and it's still a hallmark episode), or that the show is almost cloyingly political. It's really hard not to say "I mean... have you seen The Twilight Zone?"

This is a show in which a dying man who talks like a rural person written by a city guy is saved from going to hell by his coon hound, and it feels disingenuous to me to suggest that the original show used tropes that were still raw and powerful. I can't find the original Roger Ebert quote on Casablanca that I'm looking for, so I'll have to paraphrase, but The Twilight Zone is similar to it in that all of the familiar cliches have gathered together, but you know them, and they know you, and they're hosting a party, and the first round is on them. Both the new show and the old show feel like that to me (with both of them having a significant number of duds, with me disagreeing on which episodes they are with consensus at times).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I absolutely love unsubtle progressive social commentary.

This show's problem isn't that. It's that's batting .500 or less on succeeding as a show first.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Former Human posted:

you're the guy straight up complaining about politic's in my Got drat Fiction, I'm surprised you didn't throw an SJW in there too

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The people getting upset and using buzzwords like "Woke" to criticize this show are sad to see. It's like they're slipping away into being human garbage.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This thread is a Twilight Zone episode, the only question is, is it a good one or a bad one?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

McSpanky posted:

This thread is a Twilight Zone episode, the only question is, is it a good one or a bad one?

It’s like one of those ones that should have had the runtime cut down.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I've seen a lot of people defend this reboot by saying that the original was corny and campy, so it's okay for this one to be overt and stupid as well, and I just don't understand that argument at all.

poo poo sucked back then so it's cool that it sucks now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

It just sounds like they want Blackmirror or another anthology show, which is cool. Also all the talk of “Wokeness” makes it seem like this is actually about ethics in games journalism.