Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
  • Post
  • Reply
busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie



‘Wake up’ whispers the wind.
‘Stand strong’ urges the sun.
‘Be true’ sighs the moon.

The nothingness remains silent.




You start awake, stretch lazily with a loud yawn and slip out of bed. You pad over to the window and lift yourself up on the wooden sill and peer outside. It’s grey and dark outside, and it smells like it could rain at any moment; almost dreary enough to be a Stormday! In the window’s semi-reflection you catch sight of yourself. You’ve not survived through your 10th Storm season yet, but Liberator allowing, you will.

1: Your name is:
A) Laena
B) Roberta
C) Stephen
D) Tarin
E) Jeffrey
F) Andri
G) Write in here!


2: You are:

A) A young girl, an only child to two loving, hardworking parents. You live in the small farming village of Perseverance. Your village farms mostly corn, barley, onions and carrots. Your parents are both farmers, and you are expected to help out the family even at your young age. You are poor, salt of the earth and humble.


B) A young boy, with two brothers and two sisters. You are the eldest, and your mother is constantly worked off her feet running the family’s tailoring shop. You live in the dusty trading and frontier town Vigil. Your family is not too badly off; well that’s what your mother tells you anyway.


C) A young boy, with one elder sister. Your father and mother live in comfort in the mining town of Gratitude. Your mother runs the local inn, while your father runs the attached kitchen. It’s a rowdy business in the evenings when the miners gather to wash replace their lost sweat with food and tea.


D) A young girl. You are an orphan looked after by the Matron of the orphanage of Whisper. Most of the orphans here nowadays are left by families that are lazy and poor and don’t want to work. You have no memory of your parents, but the Matron tells you you’re best off without them anyway.


E) A young boy, an only child living with your uncle in the city of craftsmen, Vise. Sent here in your infancy for a greater hope at life, you help your uncle at his small chandlery. Your uncle does well for himself, and is a demanding master..



Hello, i am busb and welcome to this Choose Your Own Adventure where you, dear voters, control what happens. This is a fantasy life simulation-adventure in a world where voters decide how to shape the life of a young child in the world of Deliverance.

It does not run on or rely on any system other than the one i have created and maintain in the background. That is to say this world operates by its own rules which i will adhere to and according to interpreting the will of The Noble Goon(tm).

The scope of what you wish to achieve is completely up to you. Do you wish to create an idyllic farming community? Or be a militiaman dedicated to stomping out crime? Or become a brigand, preying on those unable to secure their own?
Or do you want to be a merchant-prince, growing vast amounts of wealth and influence with the ruling nobles?

The first few votes will shape our origins, let’s create a lasting legacy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie


You are Jeffrey, of the mining town Gratitude.
You are 13 seasons old and live in the family tavern, where your family serves tea and hearty stews.

You are a young teenager, and are slightly short and pudgy for your age.
You have a basic understanding of how to get what you want through the childish charm.

The Administration is aware of your presence.
The militia at the gate know you like to wander around outside.


Bandits are pillaging farms to the east of Gratitude. Refugees are flooding into town to attempt to find work.


You know that the world revolves around Toil, Duty and Storm. Your Duty begins at the age of 15.
The Liberator is rumoured to live forever, and has a mythical Feather. His statue in the middle of the city's plaza is kept pristine.

You know that the City of Vise to the south is the home of craftsmen that import Gratitude's ore and raw materials
Fort Vigil to the south then west trains fighting men and women, and watches over the Burned Lands. Your sister has enlisted in the rank and file army here.


Your wealth is measured by:
9 copper nails and 0 lead knuckles.
You help out Hanah, a kindly middle-aged Statue Maintainer for 1c per month and stories about the world
You work part-time at your parent's Tavern, the Splintered Oar, for maybe 80c per year! (your mother was fairly vague on the details...)

busb fucked around with this message at Apr 12, 2019 around 02:33

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the End


JEffrey, how did you become a world famous craftsman, JEffrey.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at Mar 26, 2019 around 03:04

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013



We are Andri of the Abbey.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Guilt is an outmoded concept, the refuge of those who have yet to embrace the fact that their path is the correct one.


I'll go for D. Tarin and C. Gratitude.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the End


Actually Jeffery will become the Tavern King of Gratitude

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Come play my CYOA!

Save your reality from the Constructors... then save all the rest of them.


C. Stephen at D. The Orphanage of Whisper

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008



G. Bock. Because sis was taking very loud insistent orders for the freshly tapped keg of Dopplebock as we were delivered in the barrel room, Dad thought it was manly, and Mom was too hopped up on medicinal whiskey to complain.

C

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Thanks for and please keep the votes coming, new readers!
The first few votes to generate our character/background will be fairly quick if we can reach a majority(hoping to update ~once per day for a little while) before relaxing into meatier updates.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

You turn the corner and see a greenskinned fuckmidget.
Roll for initiative.

E and C

Max
Nov 30, 2002



F - Andri, D - Whisper

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.


EC

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

In the not so distant past, the land of Ataxia was one of conflict and unrest. Wild animals ruled the wilds and roving cruel monsters destroyed any chance of human progress. And the mages... the mages were even worse as they ruled both monster and corrupt man.


Then came the Liberators. Strong, fierce, and armed with burnished metal they stormed across the land. They threw down the corrupt lords kept in thrall by the foul magi and Delivered change, peace and prosperity everywhere.


Monsters were banished back into the wilds and bandits were strung up everywhere in a proclamation of justice done. The Magi themselves were killed where they stood with some cowardly few escaping to the darkest corners of the world until they died of starvation, disease and old age. In their petulance, they cursed the land that was freed from their clutches. As the seasons turn, the very land is stricken by vicious storms; lightning that kills and poisonous rain that turns men and women mad.



But the Deliverance protects, and the years of rebuilding began, with the crucial promise that the Liberators would always protect your people from magicks. Taking up the mantle of reluctant ruler of a stricken people, the Liberator Himself remained when his comrades departed, and with a chosen few He trained and equipped the bravest and strongest men and women among you as the Emberguard, capable of defending your lands. And with His knowledge, the Storms could be weathered.

And so the people are guided and nurtured so you can grow and be prosperous.




“Jeffrey, get up you lazy boy!” your mother yells from downstairs. Looking wistfully outside and the promise of fun you quickly dress and clamber down into the taven.
“Come on come on, Liberator preserve if we all slept as long as you then we’d all starve afore noon!”

“Oh leave him be for two shakes at least Myrtle, he’ll be wishing he was anywheres else if you keep at him like that,” your father’s laughing deep bass cuts across from the corner of the room. He laughs as he strides across and perches you up across his shoulders. “Asides, I need his help this morning. We’ll be back for early supper, don’t you worry about that!”



Your sister, Imogen, is already hard at work scrubbing out the tavern’s lanterns and replacing the burning tallow within. She is a few seasons older than you, and has already surpassed your mother’s height and has your father’s strong build. She smiles and rolls her eyes at you when your mother doesn’t see as your father strides past her and outside into Gratitude’s bustling sidestreets.

As you past next-door, Albert and his son Kel wetting and stretching out wicker and leather. “Mornin’ Derik, little Jeffrey, a spot o’ trouble last night eh?” drawls Albert, mid-thwack of hide.
“I ‘eard fightin and such!” Kel pipes up, excitedly, “Wassit them Reddies again?’
“Shush your mouth this second you little snot!" Albert lightly cuffs Kel on the shoulder. "Don’t be calling them that how many times have i told yer, we carn’t afford no fine.”
“You mean another one don’t you Da?” Kel slyly asks.

Your father laughs “Not to worry, little Kel, they were just tired rockbreakers with not enough coin and tired hands. But i know they’ll be workin’ harder today to come back tonight though. I just gotta take little Jeffrey here across town, he’ll be able to play with Kel and the gang by this eve though.”

You say goodbye to Kel and his dad, and ask “Where are we going Father?”

“You pick son, I’ve got something I need to do later on, but where would you like to go first?

1. You have a think, you’d really like to:
A. Go and watch the local guardsmen train. Maybe you’d even catch a glimpse of a famed Emberguard! Kel told you that they are the bravest warriors with metal armour and weapons! Imagine being wealthy enough to be able to use that much metal!
B. Go have a look at the Causeway. It’s the sole wide road where all the rock and spoil from the mines in the hills west of town gets hauled and carted across to the Rockyard in Gratitude proper. Some days you dream of going down into the mines yourself, pickaxe in hand and finding enough ore to buy yourself enough spice you’d never have to share a cup of tea ever again!
C. You want to head to the market fair. You love beads and baubles, and there’s always something fascinating to find to buy for a couple of coppers. You also really love the statue of the Liberator in the middle of the plaza. It makes you feel safe and protected!
D. You just want to hang out with your father today. Maybe today you’ll learn how he makes the bestest bread and boar in the whole city! Everyone likes your Da, even when the tavern patrons get rough, he knows just how to deal with them all the time!
E. You kind of want to go exploring by yourself. Imogen told you that there were some strangers in town with strange things on their faces and even bound-papers! Maybe you could get a look at one and tell everyone tonight!
F. Something else


2. Regardless of what you choose how to spend the day, how do you want to spend your evening tonight?
A. Mucking around with Kel and the gang. You tend to muck about in the back street, wrestling and throwing things around.
B. With just Kel. Together you love to walk about the square pretending to find and slay evil magi hiding in the shadows just like the Liberators!
C. By yourself to the rockbreaker’s yard. Maybe if you’re quiet, you’ll be able to find something shiny that they missed! I mean if the Foreman or the guards see you there’ll be trouble. But you’re really quick!
D. Stick around the Tavern and help out your family serving tea and the like. Your mother would be really proud of you for stepping up, and your sister has been wanting to have a night off for a while.
E. Something else.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Guilt is an outmoded concept, the refuge of those who have yet to embrace the fact that their path is the correct one.


Let's do D and D, indeed.

Max
Nov 30, 2002



1b and 2c. Being alone is awesome.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

You turn the corner and see a greenskinned fuckmidget.
Roll for initiative.

A and B

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013



"Strange men with masks? Count me in!!"

also...

"Maybe if I stay at the Mines, maybe they won't catch me there... Could I invite Kel there?"

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008



DD

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006



CC get it. NO ANTS.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

Just peramene.


Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Come play my CYOA!

Save your reality from the Constructors... then save all the rest of them.


C for both.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




Podima posted:

Let's do D and D, indeed.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

"Strange men with masks? Count me in!!"

also...

"Maybe if I stay at the Mines, maybe they won't catch me there... Could I invite Kel there?"

I trust what this idiot wants to do.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?







D
D


Family time so we can get attached to these characters and make sure it actually lands when they're all horribly murdered by the fascist templars and/or rogue magi at the end of the prologue because we are a good son. Although honestly if this game just turned into Completely Unremarkable Tavern Simulator 1072 that would also be acceptable, adventures are hard and beer is good.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at Mar 27, 2019 around 04:58

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

We're fairly split across {X}C and DD. if we get a bunch more votes that lead to a consensus i may be able to update tonight, likely tomorrow though.
Speculation is always welcome

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


Change my vote to whatever's in second place, tia.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Podima posted:

Let's do D and D, indeed.

Vote: +1

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the End


Voting anyway for DD!!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

busb posted:

[b1]D. [/b] You just want to hang out with your father today. Maybe today you’ll learn how he makes the bestest bread and boar in the whole city! Everyone likes your Da, even when the tavern patrons get rough, he knows just how to deal with them all the time!

2D. Stick around the Tavern and help out your family serving tea and the like. Your mother would be really proud of you for stepping up, and your sister has been wanting to have a night off for a while.
3rd of SecondToil, 256d
Your father looks surprised when you say you just want to hang around with him all day. “Well, great, come along then, first we need to see what’s down at the market...”

As you wander about he points out some of larger buildings and what they are for. The market is towards the eastern gate out of the city, and is an open plaza, dominated on one side by the dark-granite Town Hall. You have seen it before, but your father tells you that everyone important works there, and oversees the running of everything in town! The Foreman currently is the boss of everything, as the town mines and breaks rocks and ores and sends them southward.

In fact he points out a few battered wagons, and cloth-covered carts that are waiting along the side of the town hall, where merchants must record their cargo and where they are going. There are dozens of people standing around bored. You ask who they are, your father tells you there are "Sometimes animals or bad men that want to take things that aren’t theirs, and sometimes strong men and women need to protect the wagons as they travel, they're doing the land a great service".



On the opposite side are more wagons still, and clusters of thin and weary looking travellers. "The travellers are people coming for jobs in the mines or the Rockyard, trying to find metal gems or other treasures". The wagons are of more interest to your father. They bring food from the nearby farms such as grains, livestock and vegetables from the countryside. Your father walks to some bored looking women herding a couple of cattle down toward the market and talks to them for a while, asking them about how their farms are going and suchlike. You find it a bit dull but hear one of them talk about how there hasn’t been enough rain and loads of farmhands might have to come to become rockbreakers before the Storms begin this year, and that some have already taken off into the eastern hills to become outlaws and brigands!.

Your father frowns, shakes their hands and implores them to visit his tavern, the Splintered Oar’ after their trading is done. The rest of the morning passes by in a bit of a blur. Your father talks to weathered farmers and hawking sellers, and you even see him slip beggars a copper nail or two.

Then he takes you into the Town Hall.

After the general noise of the market, the silence of this place is a bit unnerving. People here are also dressed quite differently, some even have red frilly things around their necks as they sit at benches or walk silently across the foyer. You ask your father what you are doing here and he tells you to shush, His name is called by a tall, stern looking lady and you and your father follow her to a small room. Your father tells you to wait outside and not to touch anything or go anywhere, and if you’re good you’ll get a nail to spend all for yourself!

You can’t help but try to listen in, but it sounds like your father is getting frustrated at something. His deep voice travels, but you can’t get the words. The lady’s voice is low but you manage to catch a few words about worse than fines’.

Finally the door opens and your father looks red and even a bit angry!
“It’s ridiculous is what it is! You’ve wasted me money and you know it!”
You leave with your father as he mutters under his breath but he refuses to talk more about it.

“Right Jeffrey my boy, i promised you a nail, and unlike some people, I fix my promises right up. What do you want hmm? Something tasty?”

1.
A.
You want a honey roll! Delicious and hot and sweet.
B. You saw a man selling swords! You’re only small, and it’s just a stick, but its painted and whittled and looks just like a real one! Kel will be jealous!
C. You get a loaf of rye! It's tasty and wholesome, and you can share some of it with some of the poor beggars too, just like Da!
D. You buy some of the carrots from one of the wagons you saw your Da talking with earlier, maybe you could give it to mother to make tonight's stew even more delicious.
E. It seemed like Da wanted something from that lady, maybe if you gave her a nail she would give it to you. It sounded like she wanted more money
F. You hold onto it, you don’t have anything you really want to buy just yet, but you really like money and maybe you can get something even better if you get another nail!
G. You thank your Da, but really you don’t want money at all.
F. Something else


After your day in the marketplace, you tell your sister and mother that you want to help with them with the tavern tonight! You’re only little, but you can run about and take people things they’ve ordered and such.

“Thanks Jeffrey! Mother, with Jeffrey about, can i pleaaaaaaaasepleaseplease go out?” Imogen pleads.
“Okay okay, but don't you go getting in no trouble! AND I want you home for cleaning up none too late. Now go and have fun dear. Jeffrey, this here is the tea-cauldron, here is the stew. Don’t you be mixin’ them up you daft boy and make sure you get the coin before you give them…”

The evening at the Splintered Oar is full of laughter, the farmers come in and sit in large groups, relaxing after a hard day before they need to trudge back to their farms. Last night’s troublesome rockbreakers come back in too, just like Da said, and your mother corners them before you can help out and makes sure they pay double beforehand, which they do.

You can’t help but wonder, in between mopping up spilled tea what Kel is up to, but your family is more important. And you have the best tavern in the city after all!





The days stretch ahead and you dutifully keep helping out in the tavern, until Eight-Toil ends, and Duty and Storm approaches. When the first of Duty arrives, your mother and father hunker down at the long counter for hours. Your mother rests her hand on your fathers' as they as they talk earnestly and in a hushed tone. You don’t really understand what’s going on, but it ends with a smile, a kiss and embrace, before your father leaves.

You ask your mother where he’s off to, and she says to “talk about taxes. Don’t worry little man, everything will be fine.”

And everything was fine. A couple of weeks later your father leaves once again, but this time with a large sack, and he returns without it.

And then Storm begins. Your mother, father and sister all sit along the lonely tavern benches.
Your mother tustles your unruly hair and asks "Well, what do you want to do with yourself Jeffrey?"
You've been helping out a lot in the tavern and your mother has obviously appreciated your enthusiasm for the family trade.

What DO you want to do with your life?


I think this update is long enough. The thread is now open for questions. You’re stuck in the tavern for the next month. You may ask questions of your mother Myrtle, father Gertrand, or sister Imogen, or friend Kel.

Questions must be reasonable enough for a 10 year old to ask, and the answers will be the same.
After Storm, we will have a vote to shape the direction of our adolescence, or we need to stop and update for some other event/reason. So ask whatever questions you have and once they slow down, i'll close down and open up a fresh vote. You may vote for 1. at any time, i won't close that vote until we finish Storm.

busb fucked around with this message at Mar 28, 2019 around 02:30

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?







C, a solid nutritional choice for a growing young lad and also we can start befriending the poors for purely altruistic reasons that will not in any way lead to eventually forming a mob of the downtrodden to chop the heads off of all the fascist templars and tax collectors giving Dad a hard time.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at Mar 28, 2019 around 02:33

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?







How does the calendar work? Storm is obviously when The Storm comes, but what are Duty and Eighth-Toil? Months of some sort?

Dad what were you arguing with that lady at Town Hall about?
What was in that sack?
What kind of metal do we mine here?


And I guess an OOC worldbuilding question, does alcohol exist in this world? We run a tavern but we serve tea, not beer. Interesting twist.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at Mar 28, 2019 around 02:41

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

Guilt is an outmoded concept, the refuge of those who have yet to embrace the fact that their path is the correct one.


Absolutely E for the first choice, and ask our parents about how they came to own the inn as a starting point, and what they hope for their children (us and our sister) to become - are they hoping for us to take over the business, or do they want something more for us?

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013



"I wanna sword!"

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Crazycryodude posted:

How does the calendar work? Storm is obviously when The Storm comes, but what are Duty and Eighth-Toil? Months of some sort?
Your sister pipes up "Don't you know anything little brother" and laughs. She then starts speaking with a strange forced intonation
"When the Deliverance came, it freed us
And the magi died with curses and storms
So we must Toil on field, anvil and forest
We must provide proper Duty to the Liberator
And we will weather the Storm".

You poke your tongue out at Imogen, of course you'd heard that before!
Father chuckes and says "What it means Jeffrey is we work for eight whole months, pay taxes in the ninth, and we try not to let our roof be blown away at the end every year."

Crazycryodude posted:

Dad what were you arguing with that lady at Town Hall about?
"Oh we weren't arguing, she promised us she would change something that would be good for our tavern and we were just discussing why," your father says.

Crazycryodude posted:

What was in that sack?
"That was our Duty for the year, right down to the lead knuckle and copper nail"

Crazycryodude posted:

What kind of metal do we mine here?
"Whatever we can find, and none at all," your mother muses.
Your sister says: "I heard from Jimena the other night that the mine is only finding mostly copper these days. But 10 years ago we were finding lead and iron by the cartload, and even some gold and rubies here and there!"
"It's not the metal the miners find, its the ore," Father corrects her. "We can't work it properly here so we dig up large rocks, the rockbreakers smash it up into littler rocks, and our traders send it south to be turned into metal. One rockbreaker did find a small opal last Toil, but not many do nowadays. Hard, dirty and not very rewarding work. Still, it has to be done by someone. We can't just send useless rock in a cart."

Crazycryodude posted:

does alcohol exist in this world?
You have never heard this word before and don't know what this means. Sorry, you can't ask this question!

Podima posted:

Ask our parents about how they came to own the inn as a starting point, and what they hope for their children (us and our sister) to become - are they hoping for us to take over the business, or do they want something more for us?
Your mother answers the first part, "Everyone must Toil, little man. This tavern was your grandfathers'. When he passed, he left it to me. Mister Saucemaster over here" she nudges your father, "knew a bit about how to cook a haunch, and somehow we worked it all out."

Your father looks at you and claps an arm around yours and Imogen's shoulders "You kids are learning really important stuff about how to work a tavern, and we'll teach you whatever you want to know. Of course we'd love you both to keep the Splintered Oar going, but if your calling lies elsewhere, we'll work something out. We can afford an apprenticeship or two..."
Your mother looks a little worried, but soon smiles at you both again.

busb fucked around with this message at Mar 28, 2019 around 03:15

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


Crazycryodude posted:

C, a solid nutritional choice for a growing young lad and also we can start befriending the poors for purely altruistic reasons that will not in any way lead to eventually forming a mob of the downtrodden to chop the heads off of all the fascist templars and tax collectors giving Dad a hard time.

All of this. gently caress the man and I'm not at all bitter about things.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Come play my CYOA!

Save your reality from the Constructors... then save all the rest of them.


D, being with Da is its own reward.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Any further questions?
I'll give it an hour or so for more questions and votes on what we spend our hard earned nail on before we update.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the End


I'll vote E - lets do our part!

Question - are there other taverns? Are we friends with them? (If we're going to take over the family concern can't hurt to scope out the competition.)

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

sniper4625 posted:

Question - are there other taverns? Are we friends with them? (If we're going to take over the family concern can't hurt to scope out the competition.)

Your mother says "Yes dear there's several, such as the Runny Elbow down closer to the Rockyard and the Pickled Dandy up closer to the markets. You don't need to be worried about them, they don't do anything we can't. All the same, don't go wandering inside them, no place for my little lad."
Your father coughs gently into his hand during this and takes a delicate sip of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

30th of Storm, 256d


After being cooped up together all month, your family sits down for a final meal.
"Alright everyone!" your father booms. "I have an important announcement to make".
"Imogen will have passed her fourteenth Storm as of tomorrow." He looks over at your sister, "This means you have until EighthToil to figure out yer future. Now we ain't made of iron here, but you tell me and yer mam what you want and we'll figure it out. Then you will go yerself to the Town Hall with the other young'uns and announce yer Duty to the Liberator."
"Da, how will i decide?," she fidgets with her hair, "Can I just stay here?"
"Of course you can stay here if you decide to Gennie!" your mother says, "But workin' in the old Splintered Oar forever isn't for everyone, and we have a feelin' you'll be wanting something else. Maybe you want to learn 'erbcraft, or smithying down south, or we might even stretch to you learnin' to read at the Academy. Yer father and I have thought once or twice about learnin' but we could never afford the time. Or perhaps we're just too old."

Your father kisses your mother's cheek, "Unlike some other families," he says "We'll cover yer Duty payments until yer 18th Storm has passed. So don't you be worryin' about coin until you're done."
Your mother says "Don't be worryin' all at once now either. You've got until EightToil, so go out, talk to your father and I, and your friends and that and let us know what you've decided."

"Jeffrey, don't you be daydreamin' about your grand future now either, you've still got growin' to do. And please help your sister out this year."
Your sister, gone in a year! What will she do?

2. How do you offer to help your sister throughout Toil?
A. You offer to cover her in the Tavern even more. This will mean you have less time to explore town and learn things
B. You offer to talk to people for her! Your sister seems nervous and maybe you can help by asking herbalists or travelling merchants about fantastic things to learn and do out there in the world!
C. You offer to help her, but really you just want to go out and play with Kel. You will make up some stories to keep up your end of the offer
D. You don't do anything. You've already helped clean and serve in the Tavern loads, why should you do any more? By the time your Fourteenth Storm comes she'll have already left and will never be able to return the favour anyway
E. You try and convince her to stay in the Tavern. There's nothing she can learn elsewhere that will help the family, Ma and Da already know more about Taverns than anyone else!


More importantly, even at your young age you realise this will definitely be something you need to think about. What do you want to do?
3. How do you spend this Toil? (You may select 3 options, which will be prioritised from most time > least time spent. so 3. X > J > S if you want X to be most time)
A. You keep on helping out your mother and father at the Tavern. You think being the town's most famous cook or tea-brewer would be the best!
B. You play in the streets with the gang. You don't get into much trouble usually, just playing Liberators and Bandits.
C. You explore the markets where there's always someone new. You try and find interesting people like merchants or travellers.
D. You sneak out of town into the hills north of town. You don't go far, but you love dust-free air and it's much quieter
E. You sneak out of town by yourself, and check out the mines and Rockyard. Imagine finding a new vein of ore or even a nugget of gold or a gem! Your family would be rich and not have to worry about Duty ever again!
F. You spend time watching the Town Hall, you're fascinated by the officials and recording of comings and goings. Administrative life sounds really important and you could work in a really neat building.
G. You spend time watching the Guard-Fair. Its where guards practice and wait to get hired to protect wagons headed south.
H. You always have fun playing with Kel, you ask him to join you on your adventures this month.
I. Something or somewhere else?

Voting for 1. also continues... currently votes are tied C and E someone please break this hideous tie!

busb fucked around with this message at Mar 29, 2019 around 01:38

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«5 »