Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B

Get swole Jeffrey, spend some of those fat stacks on protein shakes and get big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
F because I'm addicted to being a Wizard

But also I won't complain if B wins.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ea

I feel like having more carentium is vital to the setting. We could start building new towns, we could expand the borders of the old towns, we could research the black alloy.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Vote count:
B: 2
F: 1
D: 1
Ea: 1

I'll give it another 24 hours for more votes or consolidation. (read: work busy).

The good news is that a lot of the next update is ready to go so should be quick turnaround once this is resolved.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

B

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
F

My thought behind this is that we're absolutely exhausted physically right now and that training on that kind of exhaustion doesn't tend to have strong results. Speaking from experience, ouch my back, it's even likely that we could hurt ourselves more.

Magic and interaction with the blackness insofar as I understand it doesn't actually tire us out unless we over absorb, which is incredibly unlikely if we're just doing training. That and it's a source of items that we literally can't get anywhere else.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

B

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

busb posted:

B. You're physically weak, but your force of will is stronger. You push yourself, forcing yourself to exert physically to becoming even stronger than you were before. You could just keep up your studies, sure, but your body can take it. You'll be ready to take on next cycle, no doubt about it.

It takes you a couple of days to decide, but eventually you decide that no, you must get yourself fit again. You've lost a lot of blood, but you're from strong stock, look at your mother and sister for example! Fierce and strong they are. You're sure with just a bit of hard work you'll get to be like them too, one day.

But today, you start with walking. Despite the protests of your friends, Cel telling you to stop being an idiot and rest and Trev raising an eyebrow and asking if you're really sure you want to try killing yourself again so soon. They don't understand. You don't know if you really do. Maybe you're just tired of being weak all the time, being powerless and injured. Sure sometimes it's self-inflicted, but wouldn't it be great if you were strong!

Refusing the easy course of 'a circuit of the Gardenarium' The first day, you are barely a quarter of the way up Stormgazer's Bluff when your breathing becomes harsher and your vision blurs. Gasping for breath, you stop your walk and slump against the cliff face. Your breath tastes metallic and you feel pain as you gasp for breath, and your legs wobble until you sit down in rather a hurry.

For what feels like minutes, you think you're going to faint. But eventually, as your heart gradually slows and your vision comes back into focus you realise that you won't. As you sit there, you see Dapimo and Venadi walk around the bend behind you, and they start when they see you. Too tired to stand, you stare at them and pretend you're just having a relaxing rest in the dirt, and ask them if they're going on a bracing stroll up the bluff. You see Dapimo whisper something in Venadi's ear, and disgruntled, they pretend to ignore you and amble past. WHen they're out of sight you relax, and stand up on woozy feet. You wonder what they would have done if you'd actually been unconscious.

The sun moves lazily above you, matching your pace as you carefully walk back to the Cantinus and some desperately needed tea and food. But you've set your distance to beat, and may Storm fry you damnit, you'll do better every day. You will!

19th Storm, 264d
You yawn and stretch, and gaze around your quarters. A mess of dirty robes you haven't bothered carrying down to get washed and a sack full of rocks. Lacking a sparring partner, you've taken to trying to lug around heavy rocks to try and get stronger, to mixed success. The sack's cloth loops lasted two days before fraying and breaking the morning of the third before you left for your morning exercise, leaving you an awkward, heavy and useless sack. It'd also make good bait if Dapimo or Venadi manage to break in, you grimly think. You've seen them every so often around the Academy: appearing around corners, loitering near the cantinus. You don't know what they're up to, but you feel watched. It makes you nervous, as you grimly said to Trev and Cel as you file into the large amphitheatre along with all the other Academy Indurates and Fabricists. And what's worse, you glumly tell them, you think Dapimo can see you are.

"Let them" Trev snorts inelegantly. "You've done nothing wrong, let them waste their time skulking about. It's good to see you looking so healthy again, don't let 'em get to you Jeffrey."

You smile briefly at him, but think that he's wrong. You've got a lot to be concerned about.

"Fabricists! Attention now please!" The Profektus booms from the podium. He motions a shorter woman to the podium. You've not spoken to her before, but the dual splash of emerald green across her shoulder marks her as a senior Caelologist. "Please, Fabricist Anah."

"Evening all. I come to you now, after many cycles of deliberation and discussion within our faculty. Finally, we have reached an accord with the Administration." Anah pauses to take a breath, but you can hear frustration in her voice. "And in the Liberator's name, a proclamation will be made to all cities. As you are all aware i'm sure, Storm season has inched closer every cycle. What used to be static and dependable - to the day - has changed. We have been monitoring the Storm's intensity over the past cycles, and from the coming one the calendar of Deliverance will be amended for the first time in His lordship over us. Duty will now formally last twenty days, and Storm codified for 40 days."

The amphitheatre starts buzzing, and you see Cel worriedly whispering to Trev, who squeezes her hand reassuringly. Such a thing is almost unspeakable. The calendar is an almost holy thing, structuring your lives to the day. That Storm is now longer forever by 10 days may not matter a lot to most folk, but your quantologic brain immediately starts considering the ramifications. Even half of that being Storm will mean substantially more rain, more Stormstrike damage, and less productive time. Anah seems mostly relaxed, but you can guess that Caelologists are frantic right now collecting information to try and figure out how the land will change.

"This must be done to ensure citizens will seek shelter in time in outlying areas. Most importantly, we acknowledge the need to achieve the vast amount of work required by the Administration and assisting Fabriicists during Duty in the shorter, 20 days." She continues. "We believe that the Storm has stabilised once again, and hope that it shifts backward in our lifetimes."

In two days' time, Storm begins.

40th Storm, 264d

You've spent the remainder of Storm strengthening your body over your mind. You trust your intuition to inspire you. You've been tossing around ideas and thinking about all the pieces of the puzzle that is your life, and trying to categorise them in the most pleasing way possible. Most people would ask their friends for advice, or parental figures. But your family is distant, and Trev and Cel are friendly enough, but you can't bring yourself to tell them what's really happened to you, or what you truly want. Your life is secret, and your thoughts are private.

You are Indurate Jeffrey.
You have survived your 20th Storm.

pre:
You are a slightly shorter than average young man
You are slightly built for your age.
You've grown into your limbs a bit, and avoid tripping or knocking over things unless tired
You're fitter than you were, able to nearly make it to the top of Stormgazer's Bluff at a light jog.
In time you'll become more hale. 
Your hair has a definite reddish streak to it
Your eyes are splintered with emerald shards and purple slivers, and a hint of gold flecks. 
Your features are marred by several slowly healing scars on your face, neck, arms and legs
You are intuitive to people's needs and you are often able to convince others of your point of view
Your body contains a tiny vessel of Blackness
You know how to roughly manipulate the Ether
You have a crass understanding of how to ^meld^
You should avoid fights against even the wimpiest of bandits.
With 15 knuckles and 14 nails squirrelled away in your locked bedroom chest, you have a small fortune. But you may need even more to properly impress your superiors. And not just that, but you have several thoughts on what you should be doing, but everything you do will take a significant chunk of time, but finally you've come up with a plan for the first 5 Toils of this cycle. With your censure, you will be unable to find legal work in Vise this cycle, which limits you somewhat. But Jinda can't stop you. She never will!

Vote 4 - Quantology Semester 3 :eng101:
A. You're a Quantologist, time to learn like one. You spend half the cycle working and studying in the Academy both in the Library and in the Quantologist Compound itself to hone your predictive skills and study new models. This will have the added benefit of letting you rest, exercise and recuperate fully. You will earn little, but will assist your superiors with their work. It will be dull, but if you do well you will impress your superiors and hopefully earn somewhat of a living wage.

Ba. You're a Quantologist, time to earn like one. The Quantologic Compound has many young Quantologists (and a fair few older ones) who do quick, simple requests submitted from all across the land. You take a seat and wait with quill and papyrus in hand for your first ticket. It will be very dull, but earn you a decent amount. If you are able to focus and do a good job here, maybe you'll earn the favour and attention of your Seniors too! It's long hours though, and you will only recuperate very slowly and have little time for your own pursuits.

Bb. You're a Merchant! While you might not be permitted to perform tasks for Vise's citizens, you can work for yourself! Screw working for other people - because in your experience most will try and screw you first anyway. You know next to nothing about being a trader, but with 15 knuckles and spare to your name, you can afford a temporary Merchant or Peddler's permit (although with your reputation will probably cost more now than it did before) and begin your very own trading empire!

Ca. You're an Indurate, time to travel like one. You want to go somewhere new! You know that there's plenty of agricultural work to consider in the breadbasket city of Plenty, and you've not been there before! Maybe Trev would like to come with you too!

Cb. You're an Indurate, time to return home as one. With the late Amber's words in mind, you try to ply your trade back in your hometown of Gratitude. Whether to help your family, help yourself, or to further investigate Amber's chilling words of the supposed, potential theft of the carentium secondary from the Liberator's Statue.

Cc. You're an Indurate, time to travel like one. You try and convince the Profektus that the capital of Liberty is where you should be. It's not uncommon for Quantologists to be requisitioned or work there, but for an Indurate would be quite difficult. Nevertheless, you try! It would be grand to get a glimpse of the noble houses, and maybe even the Liberator himself!

Cd. You're an Indurate, time to travel like one. You go to Vigil, where you take your mind into the incredible world of logistics. You don't know much about military matters, but your childhood friend Kel and sister Imogen are there, and you miss them.

Ca. You're an Indurate, time to travel like one. You travel to Whisper - a rural city in the far nor-west. You've not spoken to many from there before, but all know it as a quiet and peaceful place. It's bounty is in forest and vale, and maybe some quiet is what you need. You have no idea what a quantologist could achieve there, it's not really a place many from the Academy will work in.

D. Something/somewhere else?

But maybe this isn't your whole focus? Maybe you think you have time to consider other aspects or goals. This will reduce how effective you are performing your main task in Vote 4 above.

Note: Votes for E will be counted against all Fx votes, and the top Fx vote will win. (so votes to focus are tallied together, and votes to split focus initially tallied together to determine)

Vote 5 - a side job? :beerpal:

E. No, you focus on your Induracy. You need to achieve this now, you don't have the time, or the energy to do more than this.

Fa. You're a Quant- uh a Lexicologist! You've had enough of maths and spend most of your time locked up in your room trying to decode the Magi language with the few scrolls you have.

Fb. You're a Quant- uh an Oreologist! You spend your time with Bortwin, relating to him what you learned from the Light-being in the Quantum Archives and preparing iron experiments ready for the upcoming Storm season.

Fc. You're a Quant- uh an Artio- uh an Etherologist! You just made that up! You spend your time meditating, projecting your etheric self and poring over your chisel trying to figure out how to better use this strange alloy you have.

Fd. You're a Quant- uh an arti- uh a Meldologist! You also just made that up! You spend time trying to work with colours and ^meld^ stuff into shapes and things and figure out what exactly you're capable of.

Fe. You try and uncover more about the local conspiracy to ferret away supplies and steal the carentium shield in Vise (or whatever city you go to), and the foolish grand evacuation/expedition to the Shattered Wastes that you've learned about. Whether you seek help from others or not, you have some inkling of a lead here at least from your discussion with the now-deceased-Amber.

Ff. Seek out a warrior, or athlete who can train your body to become better. It will likely cost a bit of coin, and a lot of time and effort. You're already pushing your tired body though.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

A
Ff

Good job getting over the hump and beginning to turn into a swole nerd Jeffrey, time to continue the journey to swoledom with professional assistance.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cb
Maybe we can use our Duty to help our parents with theirs.

Fd

e: changed

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 9, 2021

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Crazycryodude posted:

A
Ff

Good job getting over the hump and beginning to turn into a swole nerd Jeffrey, time to continue the journey to swoledom with professional assistance.

Same +1

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
A This is what we were aiming for by earning in the first two cycles as I recall. I forget what our earning goal overall is.

Fd This is literally our special power above everything else. Literally anyone can get swole and hit things, this is the one thing that we can do.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Love me that Ca it sounds so adventure-y and unique compared to others like us.

As for side jobs Fd, we REALLY need to work out this ^meld^ stuff.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gridlocked posted:

Love me that Ca it sounds so adventure-y and unique compared to others like us.

As for side jobs Fd, we REALLY need to work out this ^meld^ stuff.

The only reason I'm off on any of the C options right now is because if I recall correctly we're eventually going to switch to Caleology as our primary focus (I think we've got 1 semester and 1 cycle left in quantology) and from my understanding that will be much more conducive to travelling than quantology.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Cb
Fd

Visit home, give our parents some money, sniff out some main plot maybe.

Practice our magic powers and make some cool magic items further away from prying admin.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Natural 20 posted:

The only reason I'm off on any of the C options right now is because if I recall correctly we're eventually going to switch to Caleology as our primary focus (I think we've got 1 semester and 1 cycle left in quantology) and from my understanding that will be much more conducive to travelling than quantology.

To this I say:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
To clarify a couple of points lost due to some sort of strange year-long delay...

Natural 20 posted:

The Profektus has tasked you with 2 cycles for each faculty, so you're half way through your Quantology Induracy. The rest of your cohort are done with theirs at the end of this cycle when you switch to Caelology.

and re: earnings:

Natural 20 posted:

A This is what we were aiming for by earning in the first two cycles as I recall. I forget what our earning goal overall is.

How much do we need to earn? posted:

You aren't certain, You guess that your minimum earnings would be a perfectly acceptable amount, so 15 knuckles over the two cycles you would guess you'd be absolutely in the clear - and probably more than they expect from a normal Quantologist Indurate. But do you want to be considered regular?

The more you consider your task and have idle conversations with your fellows, you think that it's not a set amount so that your other task can be taken into account too. Cel mentioned that she didn't care so much about how much she earned, but she was going to try exceptionally hard to learn and work for all of her superiors directly. She won't earn as much as Trev will - who is labouring most days - but she says she was told her approach would be likely be acceptable.

You don't talk about the Profektus' third task - seems that one is for you only. But you think you may be able to convince the Profektus to support your Quantologist evaluation depending on how successful you are with his tasks, too.

busb fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 10, 2021

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

A
Ff

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Hello it's me, busb 9 months later.

The good news is that I'm still alive, and that things are finally starting to return to normal for me. I am incredibly grateful for everyone who was part of this story, and since my last post there have been over 2000 views.

The bad news is that honestly, i think this story should be permanently put to bed. a second huge Covid lockdown and its impact on my work and creativity has meant i just had no creative drive to continue Jeffrey's story. And it's a real shame because i have quite a few narrative threads and things that could have been explored that haven't even really been touched on in Jeffrey's story, and other long-term plans.

But to be fair to everyone who has been a part of this, or been reading it silently, it's probably fair to say enough is enough and close this story rather than try and start it up again.

So i offer two options:
A) Open discussion about anything regarding this story, world, and its mysteries
B) Give me a week or so to get some prep work done, and we spin up a new story in the same world, but we'll make a fresh start, new protagonist and potentially a different time period in a new thread. I will not open up everything for questions however.
C) Something else?

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
B

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

A

I wanna know how bad we hosed things up for Jeffrey in particular!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
i'll give it another night or so to see if anyone else pops up

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

busb posted:

Hello it's me, busb 9 months later.

The good news is that I'm still alive, and that things are finally starting to return to normal for me. I am incredibly grateful for everyone who was part of this story, and since my last post there have been over 2000 views.

The bad news is that honestly, i think this story should be permanently put to bed. a second huge Covid lockdown and its impact on my work and creativity has meant i just had no creative drive to continue Jeffrey's story. And it's a real shame because i have quite a few narrative threads and things that could have been explored that haven't even really been touched on in Jeffrey's story, and other long-term plans.

But to be fair to everyone who has been a part of this, or been reading it silently, it's probably fair to say enough is enough and close this story rather than try and start it up again.

So i offer two options:
A) Open discussion about anything regarding this story, world, and its mysteries
B) Give me a week or so to get some prep work done, and we spin up a new story in the same world, but we'll make a fresh start, new protagonist and potentially a different time period in a new thread. I will not open up everything for questions however.
C) Something else?

You could say this was a pregnant pause with that 9 month break. Ahue hue hue.

You know I'm all about that FAQ. A

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

B for me, it's been so long I frankly wouldn't know what to ask, so I'd rather read a new story

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
The As have it.

This post is all background and why i started the CYOA.

Alright so: firstly, as i'm sure some people suspected (and feared), this is basically a reimagining of a game world. I've always enjoyed the narrative and drama of the old Ultima games, even though they have massive flaws. But the biggest flaw for me was how absolutely nonsensical Ultima 9 was.

Enter my own hubris, but what i wanted was to 'fix' the Ultima game universe, specifically recreating the world after 8 when it became very bad. I wrote up (and evolved a bit as the CYOA progrssed) a bit of a background prelude that guided my concept:

quote:

After sundering Pagan, the Avatar escapes via a blackrock gate into the ether, where they wander through time and space before eventually finding a way back to Britannia on a comet, but at a cost. Hundreds of years have passed, and the Guardian has conquered and subjugated the land. It has cost him though, and now must replenish his energy (ether conduit?)
The act of arriving travelling through the ether into realspace back to Brittania costs the Avatar all powers granted via being Titan of Ether. She arrives not long after, finding that she no can no longer access magic and searches the land for someone that can help repel the Guardian for good.

The Magi event (all the wizard casting a shielded/localised Armageddon spell that went awry) that cracked the Guardian’s new blackrock gate splintered this universe causing the Storm’s imbalance energy and a chromatic / time dilation / shift which opens a conduit from Britannia to the Ether Eternal, where the Avatar has floated for centuries, powerless and directionless, and where the Guardian was trapped after the desperate Apocalypse. Now, hundreds of years later, The Avatar blindly grasps onto Jeffrey’s unintentional Blackness beacon into the void and homes in on what is now called Deliverance, siphoning off enough energy from what Jeffrey accidentally transmutes to form a fused/softened amber shell, which crash landed somewhat southwest of Plenty.

For Jeffrey, the black liquid metal exists within him, it’s very small and links his consciousness to the Ether. He must retain his sense of self when exposing himself to the ether and its chromatic variance or he will start to lose pieces of himself.

His magic is unique. It draws on the colours of things and emotions. His brain has been moulded by his life to be productive and create, therefore his instinct is to draw in light and fuse it into something new that exists. His powers are not mental (so no telekinesis or mind reading etc per se)

The colours he draws on are gathered most easily from that which is dead, and has no hold on its self. What is difficult to draw on are large, living things, and particularly those that are conscious as their very nature resists being drawn into the Ether to be fused into something new. They know what they are and who they are.

But emotions are things released freely by the body, and are powerful sources, but dangerous to use.

Most dangerous is to use is the living part of a person.

Obtaining existing magic and absorbing it is hugely dangerous and until Jeffrey is skilled and he has increased his Blackness capacity, he can defend against simple magic, but not absorb it.

So that's the basic premise. The world is devastated and sundered, but not before the enough of Guardian's armies have travelled to Deliverance to subjugate the land. They appeared 'out of nowhere' from other worlds.

What i then tried to do was sort of reimagine the classic Britannian map and wreak drastic climate shift, with earthquakes and unnatural weather patterns. If you transpose the classic britannia over the Deliverance Map, you can kind of see where it was and where it went. For example, Gratitude is very close to what used to be Minoc - and the 'tunnels' into the mountains guarded by the Admin were actually excavations to try and locate the buried city, in addition to the ore required. Britain itself was completed submerged. I did this rough map, which you can compare to the eventual prettier map i did up (without other locations shown) in the OP

So what happened over a couple of centuries of complete authoritarianism and subjugation?
I guess here is where this project became a bit of a product of its time. How can we escape the dreary world we're born into? Unfortunately, as those ideas ran into Covid, I came under some different constraints, and the real world just took over. I no longer wanted to think about Jeffrey. Once i revived this CYOA last year, i spent a long time getting back into Jeffrey's head, solved the writing issues i'd left myself with… but then when it got back to the open world, Covid Delta hit… then Omicron. And now it's been too long and i don't really want to get back to our favourite ugly fuckup Jeffrey.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Post 2:
So what ? Well nothing was particularly planned, but there were several narrative options Jeffrey could have become involved in. He could have never gotten in touch with the Blackrock force for example, and just struggled to live with the family, however we chose. Spoilers abound, and by talking about the below i'm consigning this world to dust. This below is stuff that could have been discovered by Jeffrey over time, if he chose. But now that i'm revealing them, i really cant run another story in this setting.

There were several factions that existed.
The Liberator - Prince Lawak. Upon winning the war for the guardian, he saw the guardian's plans to enter the world thwarted, and after years waiting for any sign, began to realise he liked power and being in charge, and should the Guardian return, he'd no longer be ruler. So he was quite happy with the status quo.
The Order of the Ember - Lady Bethew. The general of the Emberguard, while ostensibly under the rule of Prince Lawak, she fervently believes in the return of the Guardian, and runs a network of spies of people within the Administration and the Emberguard to try and hasten His return.
The Rebellion - Amber There was always the possibility of a fullscale rebellion, which you could have led, took part in, or opposed. Given my fuckup with having Jeffrey meet Amber too soon (Amber = the Avatar who now had very little power), who was just beginning to foment the rebellion kind of killed this. But i did have the thought in my head that Jeffrey could re-create it later down the line, it just became kind of a low probability given Jeffrey's entrenchment in the Academy.

These were the 3 main world factions, but as i said we could have just managed our tavern, or joined the army, or joined local Administration or anything.

Couple of other bits i came up with:
The being of light in Quantology containment was a captured Wisp. Wisps are collective beings, but blackrock shields developed during the war were applied to this wisp that captured it and cut it off from the collective consciousness. It contained immense knowledge, but was slowly being driven insane and developing an individuality. Would have been interesting if in the future Jeffrey had freed it.

I think I have mostly described how the Blackness worked in previous posts. But basically: More blackrock absorbed = more capacity to work with energy. And more time spent practicing = ability to use more complex forms of energy or create more complex items. But yeah basically acted as anti-magic and battery.

The buildup of the huge Army is basically because the southern lands are rife of mutated and desperate monsters, who live mostly underground like goblins etc, or are too large and have developed some sort of symbiosis with the chaos. If we joined Amber's pilgrimage/exodus, would have been trying to set up a new civilisation against these challenges.

The army was going to try and take back the land once much needed metal deposits were found.

I kept a tracker of Jeffrey's decisions against the classic Virtues, to try and see how he'd live his life. There was a long-term possibility that Amber would set Jeffrey on becoming a new Avatar, and he'd have to address his weaknesses or even create a new philosophy or pantheon if his power and mental fracture continued.

Below is the character sheet and everything i noted and created to run the CYOA mechanically.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13GTBS4x4nkCNHFd1UjEMimqjSXo7CRGpOwMzzhA-TNk/edit?usp=sharing

Most of it probably not of much interest, but i ran my own system of how Jeffrey would attempt challenges based on his skills and such. The encounters ended up being used very rarely, and i didn't need to update them much given how we chose to lead Jeffrey's life.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Post 3:
Jeffrey's future.
To be honest, Jeffrey would likely die. He took insane risks and passed some really bad checks - particularly with the magic traps in the Delve.

Coupled with that, he had come under close scrutiny by the Ember, and unless he managed to discover and foil their observation (they had recruited Dapimo by the end of the last Academy cycle, Kyra was a minor Administration Ember spy etc), i think he would have been discovered. I think rather than being captured, he would have done something drastic with the Blackness and killed people, and become outcast as a proven Magi (even though he wasn't). He would have had to escape to the backwaters, one option was to be bundled off to the Gratitude tunnels, where Hanah had escaped through and where some ancestors of Minoc lived in subterrania, or to the forests near Whisper, where old druidic ways were kept secret (Trevor could have led you there)

A closely kept secret is that the noble houses from had actual wizards within them too.
And Jeffrey would hunt both them and blackrock to achieve greater and greater power.

But every time Jeffrey used power, Ruby's leash would sent Ruby/Guardian more power, hastening his return. As that return neared, he would be able to begin talking to his followers and manipulating the world. I had a plan for an IRL friend to take up the role of the antagonist Ruby/Guardian, and they would control his actions and basically war against the thread. Alas we didn't get that far into the story to make this happen.

Either that or go mad in isolation, attempt to harness a Stormstrike and fry himself. Probably that one, seeing the votes that usually happened.

And so i'll probably end my posts here, with a full apology to all who invested time and energy into following this alongside me. Excuses aside, i really enjoyed creating the above, and was excited to see people unravel the various mysteries.

Hopefully now though you can have some closure of what was going on and what could have happened.

If anyone has any specific questions I'm happy to answer them.

Then maybe i'll have a bit of a break and think about how to move on from here. Maybe i create a new world and CYOA, one that is probably less bleak and more approachable. And maybe not on this platform? I was pretty discouraged from continuing here after the lowtax poo poo started going down, and rarely read or post here anymore even though i know a lot has changed here too.

I'm also happy for general feedback or issues they had!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

It's so cool to look under the hood of a CYOA setup like this!

I still think back to one that's really old now, which was in a (faintly) Stardew/Harvest Moon kinda setting, and when if stopped updating I wished for this kind of closure for it so bad.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Bifauxnen posted:

It's so cool to look under the hood of a CYOA setup like this!

I still think back to one that's really old now, which was in a (faintly) Stardew/Harvest Moon kinda setting, and when if stopped updating I wished for this kind of closure for it so bad.

Thats why i've popped it up! thanks Bif.

I guess i explained/ruined it all too successfully, nobody has any questions!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

busb posted:

Thats why i've popped it up! thanks Bif.

I guess i explained/ruined it all too successfully, nobody has any questions!

I might come up with some later when things are less busy as gently caress

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I want to debrief in more detail but i'm living in the woods for another 9 nights yet, I promise I'll get around eventually

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
What would have happened if we'd just gone all in on helping Ruby? Would he have just killed us and laughed in our face or actually valued the loyalty?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Natural 20 posted:

What would have happened if we'd just gone all in on helping Ruby? Would he have just killed us and laughed in our face or actually valued the loyalty?

Yep, he would have installed you as a replacement Liberator. It was totally a viable way to play, and you might have done it to try and change the order of things from the inside.

You would have had to kill Amber. And defeat the current Liberator and the Ember though as they were thirsty for the top job themselves. Defeat could have been through proving their incompetence in returning Ruby or not preparing the land for his subjugation etc.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Were there any potential game breaking options we passed on that would have made Jeffrey's life super easy?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Toughy posted:

Were there any potential game breaking options we passed on that would have made Jeffrey's life super easy?

Hmm have to go back a bit.
You could have grassed on Academy professors like Bortwin really early and ingratiated yourself into the Administration. Being on the inside somehow would have made life a lot easier for you personally and your family. Would have meant your mother not having to go out and risk herself guarding or your sister joining the army.

Additionally, your main source of unnatural power was the Blackness. You could have used it in two ways:
1) you kinda stopped trying to absorb energy and powerfeed Ruby and earn his boons. It was only sporadic and small, but you could have focused on that and had Ruby continue to modify yourself in monstrous ways.
2) you could have worked hard to create more stuff. you'd craeted several Coloured items but the more you did and the more you applied it to your life you would have been able to create weird and crazy implements.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
To be fair that second part was basically the entire conflict between players in the thread and how votes evolved over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

busb posted:

Hmm have to go back a bit.
You could have grassed on Academy professors like Bortwin really early and ingratiated yourself into the Administration. Being on the inside somehow would have made life a lot easier for you personally and your family. Would have meant your mother not having to go out and risk herself guarding or your sister joining the army.

Additionally, your main source of unnatural power was the Blackness. You could have used it in two ways:
1) you kinda stopped trying to absorb energy and powerfeed Ruby and earn his boons. It was only sporadic and small, but you could have focused on that and had Ruby continue to modify yourself in monstrous ways.
2) you could have worked hard to create more stuff. you'd craeted several Coloured items but the more you did and the more you applied it to your life you would have been able to create weird and crazy implements.

So what you're saying is Gridlocked was right the whole time