Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wow, that spring ball boss looked... bad.
I'd heard this game added bosses or changed them into something iffy, but oof.

Also, that dude is the only non-metroid bossfight in all of Metroid II on Game Boy.
Those weird fly things were in the original Game Boy game as well, where they didn't do much besides being sinking platforms that could get you stuck in sand that you had to shoot your way out of as they sank into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Wait, that's what those are supposed to be?

I think so? They look like 'em, at least. I found them on the Metroid wiki: https://metroid.fandom.com/wiki/Septogg

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

To hook onto what FP said in the video, my big problem with Samus Returns is that your beam weapons are just for show. Every loving enemy needs to be hit with the melee counter to stop them from being insane bullet sponges.

The 360° aiming is actually really great and should definitely be included in future games, but the melee counter gimmick feels like the game was designed around it instead of being just a part of the arsenal you have.
And because of everything being geared towards the melee counter, you can't have any enemy behaviors that aren't counterable, so you end up with a dearth of variety in behavior.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I guess with the new AI the Zeta fight in the sand pit wouldn't work. That one was always a bitch in the original. Hope you brought wave beam!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Radio Free Kobold posted:

weaponizing the power bombs against him was really cool and i can think of only one other boss (coincidentally, also in a Metroid 2 remake) that uses the power bombs for massive damage.

Metroid Prime's Thardus really doesn't like getting hit by power bombs either. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's kind of funny how you say the Omega fights in this one are easier than the GameBoy version.
I always considered the Zeta Metroids to be the hardest enemy in Metroid II because they very aggressively hound you without letting up, while the Omega Metroids seem a lot more sluggish and sedate. Sure, they take more missiles and hit like a truck, but I remember being relieved to see an Omega Metroid rather than a Zeta one.
They're bastards in the 3DS version, though.