Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

ALL TIMES EASTERN

Saturday
Apollos @ Express - 2PM (B/R Live)
Fleet @ Stallions - 8PM (NFL Network)

Sunday
Legends @ Iron - 4PM (CBS Sports Network)
Hotshots @ Commanders - 8PM (NFL Network)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Week 8 and no teams have been eliminated from the playoffs

I'm all aboard the Memphis Express

:getin:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Your team hasn't clinched a playoff spot? Can't relate.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

wandler20 posted:

Your team hasn't clinched a playoff spot? Can't relate.

The western conference is just more competitive than the trash eastern conference.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

What other pro athlete has been given as many chances on as many stages and has thenceforth hosed up as often as Johnny Football

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

sweet thursday posted:

What other pro athlete has been given as many chances on as many stages and has thenceforth hosed up as often as Johnny Football

Josh Gordon

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Arizona comin for that number 1 spot!

GO SHOTS BITCHES

That Atlanta point diff...

:discourse:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Nervous posted:

The western conference is just more competitive than the trash eastern conference.

Don't lie to yourself.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

time for another survival crisis?

https://twitter.com/usatodaysports/status/1110939818278748161

quote:

"If the players union is not going to give us young players, we can't be a development league," said Dundon, who invested $250 million into the league in February. "We are looking at our options, one of which is discontinuing the league."

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Arizona Hotshots will go down in the history books as the one and only world champion of the AAF.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

This doesn't make sense. How much can their ability to secure practice-squad caliber players possibly affect the bottom line?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

quote:

"One thing on the $250 million -- that's enough to run this league for a long time. What it takes to invest and build, that will get us through for many years. Someone was mentioning to me earlier, they thought I had to go and pay $250 million because they'd spent it. They have not spent that kind of money. And we're good for many years to come with what I just did."

Tom Dundon, February 19th.

quote:

“We are looking at our options, [...]discontinuing the league.”

Tom Dundon, March 27th.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
250 million doesn't seem like all that much for a sports league operating budget but I did think it would last out the season. They should've been prepared for a few years of expenses before starting to profit. Maybe he's just trying to secure more funding or get that deal done faster?

Is the idea that the nfl will pay players while they play in the AAF?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Play posted:

Is the idea that the nfl will pay players while they play in the AAF?

I'm thinking union members (which is anyone playing in the NFL) working in another league is a violation of the CBA between the NFL and the union. There's no economic reason to not allow practice squad guys to make more money playing in the AAF otherwise.

So rather than going over a barrel and renegotiating the CBA which would be a massively NFL-friendly contract, it's easier for the union to refuse access and let the AAF die on the vine.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I'm sure the NFLPA will immediately jump at the chance to have its members play in a league that has almost gone out of business twice in eight weeks.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

pyrotek posted:

I'm sure the NFLPA will immediately jump at the chance to have its members play in a league that has almost gone out of business twice in eight weeks.

It's weird because it seems a lot like a hard-ball tactic to force the NFLPA to negotiate but... the AAF has absolutely no leverage. None.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Play posted:

the AAF has absolutely no leverage. None.

:colbert:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm surprised no players from the AAF have signed with the NFL. I wonder if any will after the season, you'd think some guys would get a chance.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

wandler20 posted:

I'm surprised no players from the AAF have signed with the NFL. I wonder if any will after the season, you'd think some guys would get a chance.

If that happens it will all happen sporadically throughout the season and some guys might get called up to practice squads or called in as camp bodies at the very least. But none of that will happen until after the draft

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Play posted:

If that happens it will all happen sporadically throughout the season and some guys might get called up to practice squads or called in as camp bodies at the very least. But none of that will happen until after the draft

Also means a team is going to have to drop someone to make room for the aaf dude. Has anyone really shown out that much in the aaf? Feel like the feeder league notion was always a pipe dream...

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The feeder league to the pros idea also works better with undrafted free agents to work with as opposed to washouts like Manziel and Hackenberg.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

weird Asian candy posted:

Arizona comin for that number 1 spot!

GO SHOTS BITCHES

Like a Phoenix they rise....

Play
Apr 25, 2006

weird Asian candy posted:

Also means a team is going to have to drop someone to make room for the aaf dude. Has anyone really shown out that much in the aaf? Feel like the feeder league notion was always a pipe dream...

Some guys certainly aren't cut out for it but the scenario would be a young player who didn't get enough looks in the draft process (or got released during camp before they even had a chance to prove themselves) and then goes and shows out (really shows out, you gotta make the other AAF players look like you're too good to be in their league). It's a legitimate problem in the NFL that there aren't enough reps available for a lot of promising young players, and a lot of guys never even really get a chance to show what they can do.

That being said, the majority of players in the AAF probably belong there and that's just fine

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

MakaVillian posted:

Like a Phoenix they rise....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4C75F4O4BU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Play posted:

Some guys certainly aren't cut out for it but the scenario would be a young player who didn't get enough looks in the draft process (or got released during camp before they even had a chance to prove themselves) and then goes and shows out (really shows out, you gotta make the other AAF players look like you're too good to be in their league). It's a legitimate problem in the NFL that there aren't enough reps available for a lot of promising young players, and a lot of guys never even really get a chance to show what they can do.

That being said, the majority of players in the AAF probably belong there and that's just fine

Yeah. I feel like the answer there is expanding roster sizes, buuuuuuuuuuuuut that will never happen.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Play posted:

It's weird because it seems a lot like a hard-ball tactic to force the NFLPA to negotiate but... the AAF has absolutely no leverage. None.

This is the MoviePass of sports leagues. They have absolutely no leverage and there's absolutely no reason for the theaters/NFL to cooperate with them but they'll continue to insist they should...because???

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I honestly thought the nfl was going to help it a little but alas here we are.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
One could say the AAF had....no chance in hell

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They should sell the teams/intellectual property to Vince - maybe he'll keep a few of the teams alive

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Amy Pole Her posted:

I honestly thought the nfl was going to help it a little but alas here we are.

Doesn't this seem more like an NFLPA issue and not an NFL issue? The NFL seems on board with the whole thing, promoting it and putting it on NFLN.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I doubt there's very much risk of the AAF folding, I think this is likely just a weird negotiating tactic

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1110945866322509824

Play posted:

it's possible that Tom Dundon is not good at negotiating

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

If there was ever a death blow, it's this guy tweeting this.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Rastor posted:

I doubt there's very much risk of the AAF folding, I think this is likely just a weird negotiating tactic

what's there to negotiate? why would the nfl do anything to accommodate a league full of players that couldn't make the league in the first place?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The logic (thin as it is) is not about the players that failed out, it's about the players that just needed some development time in the feeder league

But the NFL is probably perfectly content with their NCAA feeder system

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Rastor posted:

But the NFL is probably perfectly content with their NCAA feeder system

With the quality of olineman they're putting out there they shouldn't be, especially with how they want to protect the QB.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Rastor posted:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/27/aaf-may-not-make-it-beyond-this-weekend/

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rastor posted:

"If the investor sincerely believed the product was done by or right after this weekend, he'd stop being an investor in the product" is a good rule of thumb anytime you hear public comments from investors

Doesn't at all mean this thing is surviving, just that they're by no means the most believable source available on it. And yeah you can say "neither is Allbright" but neither is Florio

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I dont think you say you're willing to invest 250M (over time or immediately? Not sure the terms, but regardless) without taking a good look at the books and not being able to realize it may fold within a month

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Big Jesus posted:

I dont think you say you're willing to invest 250M (over time or immediately? Not sure the terms, but regardless) without taking a good look at the books and not being able to realize it may fold within a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

quote:

The NFL is willing to allow players who sign “futures” contracts after the conclusion of a given season to play in the AAF. The NFL Players Association has not yet agreed to the terms of what would amount to a modification of the labor deal between the NFL and the players’ union.

Modification of the labor deal is needed in large part because players who are loaned by NFL teams to the AAF would need protection against serious injury suffered while playing in the developmental league. As the source explained it, those players would receive the same payment that a practice squad player receives if he suffers a season-ending injury. Players also would receive extra compensation from the AAF for games played there, but not necessarily the full salary that gets paid to AAF players with no NFL connection.

So I think I more or less got this one yesterday - Dundon's business model is basically a seven-figure bet that the union will either 1 - violate their CBA and risk a NFL lockout or 2 - bend over and let the NFL owners gently caress them raw in return for a fast CBA modification, so he gets the AAF the talent infusion needed to field a better product and increase ratings to a point where the AAF is stable and making lots of money. If he wins he owns a multi-billion dollar sports league, if he loses he's out a few million to make a few weeks of payroll.

Must be nice to just throw away money like that.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 28, 2019