Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Welcome to Adventures in the Beaten Lands, a strange CYOA in a bizarre multiverse, with art created by unfeeling AI and curated by yours truly. By which I mean, I use the GANbreeder app to generate images.

Participation in this thread is open to anyone who wants to vote on one of the options. Feel free to throw in ideas of your own for consideration as well: there's nothing scripted, so you have the opportunity to force me through some hoops.

I will be aiming at updating every 48 hours in order to allow time for reading, catching up, thinking, talking, typing, and the other actions of the like.

The setting is the same as my other CYOA which can be accessed here or via the link in my avatar. Feel free to join in and play there, too! Reading it isn't necessary to understand or enjoy anything in this game, but it may add a little bit of context and give you a sense of what this world is like.

If you'd like some more guidance, or just to read up on stuff, there's the Beaten Lands Wiki at: https://beaten-lands.fandom.com/wiki/Beaten_Lands_Wiki

There are a few other adventures that take place in this thread as well!

We have one adventure which follows a young Drejj and his newfound companion Oznob, a psychic monkey from another reality:

Another which follows a Scuumi siege against an iO Shiamara Resistance stronghold:

And finally, a high-seas adventure beyond the coast of the Beaten Lands, called "Seagone":

If you have epilepsy or anything like that, I make some weird flickery GIFs for this game, so you may want to look away or turn off GIFs.

Are you ready? Well, to begin your story, you just have to pick one of four people who are right now living their simple lives in the Beaten Lands. Each of these faces belongs to a person about to embark on a journey that will change their lives forever; which one will you follow? Whom will you guide to their ultimate destiny?

1.)

2.)

3.)

4.)

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You are Dervis d'Cariti, a member of the once-powerful Cariti family, which has since been dashed by the vicious Morani family. You have spent an unknowable amount of time in the dungeons below the Citadel d'Morani, undergoing reprehensible tortures and being experimented on with Constructor-make devices beyond your ken. At last, one day, a shrouded figure appeared in a doorway of light, releasing you from your cell and urging you towards escape.

He also gave you a discus-shaped object, and told you it contains information that would help bring down the Morani family:

The only thing you brought with you--the only thing in your possession during your captivity--a block of hard cheese and a crude wooden knife. You have been rationing this for an impossibly-long time.

A phaseblade, a three-foot-long sword of unknown black metal, which phases through multiple pocket realities in order to baffle armor and parries. Given to you by the Risthi, making you the Guardian of the Soul-Father.

Mekanism crossbow, capable of throwing more than a dozen bolts per minute.

You have three bolt magazines: 21/24 - 24/24 - 24/24

ATTACK ROLL: 1d20 [1=mek.fail][2-19=hit][20=instant kill]

A sniper rifle augmented with Constructor-make. Uses a drone to target.

ATTACK ROLL: 1d100 [1-5 & 96-100 fail] [41-60 instant kill]

A pendant bearing an emblazoned Morani family arms. You took this off the dead Baron Harianus d'Morani's neck.

Some sort of blue stone pulsing with energy, which seems to allow the user to teleport short distances. You haven't yet figured out how to use it.

A "mineralizer" given to you by the metaintelligence Ophrom. When touched to a surface, it begins to turn the surface to stone and continues for as long as the device is making contact.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 31, 2019

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
3!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
i'll take Actual Noel Fielding behind door #4!

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

4 looks promising

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
4 looks appropriately terrifying.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I feel a lot of sympathy for devil number 2

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

3 looks good to me!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: 4.

Because Cathy from Accounting is a horrible, terrifying monster covered in cat paraphernalia.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You have selected: 4

RUN.

The single word bounces around your brain with each hurried step over the rough, rocky terrain. It's a klaxon, a siren's wail, the letters flash like a marquee.

RUN!

But wasn't it too convenient? You don't know how long you were in the Morani dungeons, but it was long--it was a long, long time. Longer than weeks, maybe longer than months. Night and day were chosen for you by your captors. Sleeping and waking, meal-time and bath-, all were chosen by the Morani, the detailed dehumanizations to fill in the cracks between their tortures and their experiments with Constructor-make devices.

And suddenly, a friendly hand guides you from your waste-painted cell? A soothing tone, telling you "go, you're free now; run for the portal."? A tunnel of light which pulls you--gasping with wonderment--from the dark pits below the Citadel back into the bright light of day?

Wasn't it too convenient?

RUN!!!

Don't think. Don't consider convenience. Don't consider that this may all be a prologue to another, more clever echelon of torment by the Morani's skilled torturers. The depths you've reached, the indignities you've been branded with, left no hope without a thorny edge of despair. Any moment, the sunlight would vanish, the rocks underfoot would vanish, and you would awaken to some horrific Constructor-make instrument pumping away at your brain matter. Its like had happened before.

You're stumbling along old ruined towers and outbuildings, the markers of Morani authority in an age before the Constructor Incursion. The broken walls are thick with ivy, snagging your battered feet and sending you sprawling headlong; you stop yourself just at the edge of a cliff, which plummets some terrifying distance to the rocky earth below. You drag your aching body back up from the edge and find a path.

As you follow it, the path tightens and winds its way along and down a plummeting cliff's face; you hug the rock, creeping along. You look up, keenly aware that one of the Citadel's baleful eyes peers out over your head: a crumbling stone watch-tower commanding an expansive view of the Beaten Lands below.

You hear shouting, and the deep bark of hunting dogs. One triumphant shout is followed by a shower of shattered slate sprinkling your head, a shot far too close for your comfort. You redouble your pace, cursing as your rough-spun prisoner's cloak snags on errant crags in the rock.

You're exposed on this cliff-side, and you know it. You look to your options; the path continues some few spans to what you hope is a staircase, but what you fear is a clean drop-off. From this angle, you sincerely cannot tell. It would be odd to have a path end like that, however, so you're guessing it's a stair. You could get to it, perhaps only get shot a couple times.

Your other option is to take a slide down the cliff-side. It looks as though it gradually slopes outwards some dozen or so spans down; perhaps if you are able to brake yourself you'll be able to manage a nice roll by that point. Perhaps only hit a couple rocks.

How the Squiv did I end up here? You ask yourself. Moments ago, all I had to choose was whether to wait another day for a meal or try to trap a rat. Life-or-death decisions both, perhaps, but that was not quite so violent an end...

Your mind is a scramble of thoughts and images. It's so hard to remember everything, now that it mattered again--now that you were free again. You remember your family--Cariti! You are a Cariti! Yes, one of the three great families, who shared the power granted them by the Constructors. But the Morani and the Scuumi were greedy, of course. They wanted more, and suddenly the Cariti were exiles, prisoners, corpses.

Naturally--you recall with wry bemusement--it was not long after your own captivity began that you began to see members and allies of the Scuumi family being dragged into the cells below the Citadel. They were mad dogs, and turned on each other as mad dogs do.

Cariti. D'Cariti. My name is something d'Cariti. You try to push aside the ignominious appellations the Morani dungeonmasters had forced upon you, and remember your true name-

Another shot, another near-miss, another shower of slate shards. It's time to choose. You'll have to try to remember your name later, for right now it's all you can do to stay free and alive.

1.) Try for the stairs!
2.) Slide down the cliff-side.
3.) Player write-in:

Inventory

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 28, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
1) Noel would definitely not dare ruin his fur coat

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

We have stairs in our house

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

simplefish posted:

We have stairs in our house

And stairs are our protection.

(omg i'm so glad you're expanding this world!)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Don't pretend we're getting out of this alive, maybe some of them won't either. Hide, get our breath back, crack a skull with a rock, take a gun, shoot what we can, gut shots. If we see an opening make a run for it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You have selected: 1

Just to be polite, if you have epilepsy or anything like that, I make some weird flickery GIFs for this game, so you may want to look away or turn off GIFs.

The stairs, if they're in fact there, seem like the safer option than a plunge into the rocks. You breathe, and then make a dash as quickly as you can.

There's a flurry of gunshots, stone and metal shrapnel bites your skin, but you make it to the landing seemingly unhurt. The steep stairway curves down and to the left, tightly embracing the contour of the cliff-side. You hop down the stairs as quickly as possible, and come to a second landing, where the path takes a tight blind turn around the stone.

You take a moment to scope out. You don't see any of the gun-men, nor are you able to see the top of the watchtower. You're fairly certain this means that they can't see you, but it's a very thin reassurance.

You continue around the blind corner. Annoyingly, there's a big pile of rocks blocking the path. Cautiously you crawl over the pile of rocks, which isn't as stable as you hoped. Urethra-clenching anxiety spikes inside you as the stones shift under your weight. Please hold, please hold, by Vuldon and all the Martyrs please hold!

One more solid foot placement, and you'll be over the mound of stone and on your way. Just one more-

Your foot searches for a steadfast rock and finds one. You test it a few times, from a few different angles, and it seems to hold. You put your weight on it, and reach over-

A stone rolls down the mound and somehow hits you right on the tip of the nose. It stings like Squiv and you feel yourself fall-

A suprisingly short couple of seconds later, you're on your back fighting to make your diaphragm work again. Your lungs are on fire for several long seconds before they decide they're prepared to take on far too much searing cold oxygen at once.

You seem to have fallen on some convenient outcropping of rock, and only just completely ruined your spine, ribs, and the back of your head as a price for the discovery. You give yourself a while to recover.

What's your name? Who are you? Who are you fighting to keep alive right this very minute? It was something that flowed with d'Cariti, you can sense it on the tip of your tongue.

Flashes of Morani tortures spasm in your mind, petty degradations meant to erase your personhood and obliterate your identity. But you fight them back, you can see who you are, under everything.

What is your name?

> Andono
> Boraskos
> Chamalon
> Dervis
> Endenervise
> Forglan
> Ganymosi
> Hokona
> Imixo
> Joskin
> Kapberdina
> Lonno
> Matrudi
> Noberdine
> Oxinnis
> Phorganosi
> Quirrem
> Rosquith
> Sicomaro
> Tolianis
> Umandi
> Vorinaxis
> Warko
> Xestimo
> Zzimfon
> Player write in: __________________

You can hear the voices of the gun-men nearby.

Do they have a vantage point on me? Are they following my path? It doesn't matter. Up and at 'em, bucko.

Then you notice something. The wall seems to be flickering, almost like it's momentarily disappearing from reality. In those moments between the eye-searing static, you think you can almost see a door. You reach your hand out, and you are able to pass your arm freely through the wall of stone you see before you.

You think for a moment, but only a moment, as the voices are getting closer.

Outrail posted:

Don't pretend we're getting out of this alive, maybe some of them won't either. Hide, get our breath back, crack a skull with a rock, take a gun, shoot what we can, gut shots. If we see an opening make a run for it

You could pick up a rock, wait behind the false stone wall. If any of the guards come down here to look for you, you could knock 'em on the head with it, take their weapon.

Or maybe just go into the hidden door, see if there's an escape through there.

Of course, the fall wasn't that far. You can definitely hoist yourself back up onto the path and continue back down the stairs.

1.) Go into the hidden door.
2.) Pick up a rock, and wait behind the false rock wall.
3.) Get back on the stairs, keep going down.

Inventory
Elsewhere in the Beaten Lands [A concurrent CYOA]

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 31, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Dervis Duh Carroty

2. Crack skulls like wallnuts

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

simplefish posted:

Dervis Duh Carroty

Sounds good.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Greg

Crack skulls like wallnuts and/or use the splintery wooden shank

Outrail fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 31, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

simplefish posted:

Dervis Duh Carroty

Voting this.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

simplefish posted:

Dervis Duh Carroty

Yeah I dig it

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

simplefish posted:

Dervis Duh Carroty

Simple.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You have selected: 2

The voices are getting closer. You grab a direball-sized rock with some heft to it and a nice tapered point, then back into the flickering false wall and wait.

As you listen for the movements of the men hunting you, you think to yourself.

Dervis comes to your mind. Your aching back straightens a bit, your grip on the makeshift weapon grows more confident. Yes. Yes! you think to yourself triumphantly, I am Dervis d'Cariti! I escaped the vile Morani's dungeons, and now I can avenge my family. All I need to do is get away alive.

And you're certain you will. Because in the mangled nightmare that is your mind, you understand that your name means something. You know you can introduce yourself to chilling effect. You know Power.

You've simply lost it for the moment.

The voices are growing closer still; they're right overhead! A cascade of pebbles and dust comes from the path above as if to confirm. Will they move on? Or will they see the ledge, and come down to search?

You hear the scraping boots of active men brought to a standstill, pacing about and kicking at the rocks which block the path. For several minutes, there's discussion between them. At last, you hear them walk off into the distance.

You surrender your now-needless rock and breathe a sigh of relief when suddenly your throat closes. Something has cinched around your neck! Your fingers claw at the skin around the cord, which digs into your flesh.

Someone[?] appears in front of you, a short and frightening-looking humanoid being.

"Who are you? Are you a Morani?" it says in a high-pitched voice, like someone breathing helium. There's an unnerving, bubbling sound to its voice as well. "You do not look like any Morani we have killed so far."

"IKKK NNKKTT MKKRRKRK! IKK KKRKRKTKK!!!" you respond, desperate for air.

"Hmm, no Morani would dress like you either. Ysotho, release him so he may explain his presence here." The cord loosens around your neck and you crumple to the cut-rock floor, wheezing, gasping.

The creature that released you walks into view, holding a brutal-looking staff. One end has a loop of cord. The other end is a cudgel. There looks to be a blade or two along the length, which means either this guy is skilled with the weapon or doesn't mind cutting his hands up a whole lot.

The short creature watches, waiting patiently as you finish regaining your breath.

"Do you have any water?" you ask hoarsely.

"What do you mean?" It asks.

"...what do you mean, what do I mean?" The creature stares blankly. "To drink?" you say, awkardly.

"You just 'drink' water?"

What is happening? "Yes, I... I need water to survive. Like all humans." you say.

"That explains so much." says the small creature to the large creature, which just looks dumbly back at it. "Well, the lykkien farm in the cave definitely uses water, as long as you don't mind licking it off a stone wall."

"I've done far worse for water recently, believe me. The Morani held me captive in their dungeons for-- um, ages."

A bubbly hiss rises in the short creature's throat. "Hate them! They're the ones who wounded our Soul-Father"

"Your Soul-Father?"

"Please, come with us. There is water and food for you to have. We promise we will treat you far better than the Morani." He extends a small, ivory-white hand like a baby vampire's. "My name is Isentch, I am of the Risthi. That's Ysotho, they're just an Enforcer so don't bother trying to chat with them."

"And I am Dervis d'Cariti; That does sound tempting, but I'm trying to get as far away from the Morani as possible. I'm not thrilled by the idea of being directly under the Citadel."

"I assure you, our home is entirely secret, very secure."

"I think your rock projector might be on the fritz." you say.

"EXA PARETARGH!!!" yells Isentch, stamping their foot hard. "Sorry, but that's the twenteenth time we've had problems with that thing. You don't happen to be a rejinkerer, do you?"

"I'm afraid not. "

"Exa. Oh well, worth asking. Well, if you really don't feel safe with us--even just for a short meal--that's your prerogative; we do have a route down to ground level. But the closest place after that is Foronkai, the Broken City. You might be able to get by there, but it's not a friendly place, and the slavers love to harvest from there. There's also the open ground between our tunnels and the City, you may well be spotted by the Morani above."

1.) Just show me the tunnels, I'll be on my way to the Broken City.
2.) You're right, I need to rest. Take me to your Cave.
3.) The Ubiquitous Write-In

Inventory
Characters
Elsewhere in the Beaten Lands [A concurrent CYOA]

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 2, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

2. Follow fish-face and Lesotho

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

2. It's worth the risk to have an actual meal for the first time in forever.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
1 they're odd i don't trust them... just show me the way please.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You have selected: 2

Ysotho leads the way.

"So if you don't mind me asking, what- uh, who are the Risthi? I've never seen anyone like you before."

"This isn't our home reality." explains Isentch, gurgling sadly. "We're not sure what happened to bring us here; we assume it was whatever cataclysm befell Foronkai, the Broken City, because that is where my people and I appeared after we shifted."

"So, something blew up the city and you appeared in the middle of it?"

"More or less." Isentch "We tried to eke out a living in the city, and devise a rejinkering that would return us home, but there were too many violent characters... and the slavers kept coming by. So we lost many of our number there. Eventually we were forced to leave, and constructed this cave here in the cliffside."

"Right below the Citadel d'Morani?" you ask, incredulously.

"We were not aware of the Citadel at the time we began working. However, the construction process did alert some Morani guards. We had to kill them, after they wounded our Soul-Father."

"Sorry for all the questions, but what is a 'Soul-Father'?"

"It is he who allows us to continue our species. The Soul-Father is a vessel of knowledge; he has information stored within his strands, which he shares with the youth upon their caste cementation."

"I don't-"

"Say, when our kids grow up, he's a special natural teacher who gives them knowledge from years past. And right now, he's dying. We're concerned that if he dies, and we are unable to find a way home... that will be the end of our line."

"You can't have children anymore, you mean?"

"We could," shrugs Isentch, "but they would be children forever. Foolish and playful and exploratory, never granted the paradigm of their people's history and culture. No, we will simply accept death, as we must."

"Wow. Sorry."

"It is what it is, I suppose." gurgles Isentch. "Ah, here we are. Feel free to lick the wall, I assure you it is quite sodden for the benefit of the likkien growth."

"Wait, I've definitely seen some beautiful-looking pools of water. Can't I just drink some of that?"

"If you like horribly intense concentrations of acid and dissolved rock. Although maybe you do, I dunno. Apparently there's a lot of strange realities out there. Or, out here?"

You'd rather not lick a mildewy rock wall, so you try holding the side of your hand palm-up against the wall. You collect a very small amount of water, and greedily suck it off your hand. You repeat the process several times. Isentch watches in fascination.

"Who have you brought in here, Isentch? Haven't you learned better than to trust the Idestha?"

"This one was an enemy of the Morani, Szirkel; he escaped from their dungeons. I thought I should help-"

"Gah!" exclaims Szirkel. "He consumes water!"

"I know, I know." says Isentch.

"I take it you guys don't drink water?" you say, finally refreshed.

"We get our needs from food alone. Speaking of which, would you care for some food? I'm afraid all we have is likkien."

"You want me to eat lichen?" you ask, upset.

They both look confused. "No, likkien."

"I guess I'll try it, but if it turns out to actually be lichen I don't know if I can eat that."

You're brought to a small hut with a tiny smoldering stove.

"Here you go! Some fresh, moist likkien!" You're handed a stone slab containing, uh...

Oh, Squiv. You have to eat, you just have to. You put the moist, rubbery pieces into your mouth and chew oh oh that's terrible. They squeak and crunch and slip between your teeth. Oh, Martyrs that's disgusting. It tastes like a mushroomy octopus, or an octopussy mushroom?

You eat as much of it as you can stomach. At the very least, it was vaguely edible and free of excrement.

"Thank you for the food and water. Is there anything I can possibly do to repay you?"

"Unless you are able to heal the Soul-Father, there is nothing you can offer that we don't already have." replies Isentch.

"A way home would be nice, as well." remarks Szirkel.

"Come to think of it-" begins Isentch, but they stop, "no, that would be far too dangerous."

"What is it? I can gauge for myself." you say.

"Before we were forced to run away from the Broken City, our leading rejinkerer had nearly completed a teleportation unit that would have been able to ferry us, a few at a time, back to our home reality." explains Isentch.

"Do you think..?" asks Szirkel. Isentch throws up their hands in deflection.

"By no means am I saying it's likely at all the unit is still there or close to functional. The Broken City is teeming with scrappers, almost certainly someone has discovered the lab and sold off everything inside. Still-"

"-there's a chance." you finish for them.

"If you're going to the city anyhow, we would like to come with you. And we hope we can count on your assistance in recovering this item..?"

1.) I prefer to travel alone.
2.) You can certainly come with me, but I'm not helping with that, sorry.
3.) I would love to have your companionship on the journey, and will help however I can.
4.) I've actually decided I'm not going to the Broken City. What else is nearby?
5.) Player input: ______________

Inventory
Characters

Elsewhere in the Beaten Lands
[A concurrent CYOA]

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 4, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

How about this Soul Father? What if by some quirk of cross-reality chromosomes we're able to inherit his memory and maybe even transmit it?

If we're gonna heal him shouldn't we at least meet him?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Anyone else for meeting the Soul Father? You might not be able to do anything for him, but who knows if you don't try, I suppose. And maybe he knows something.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Meet the soul father and go with them to the city.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
How many times do you get a chance to meet the Soul Father? Clearly would regret it if we didn't take advantage f the opportunity

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pustulio posted:

How many times do you get a chance to meet the Soul Father? Clearly would regret it if we didn't take advantage f the opportunity

Absolutely, this is not the right time to mess around. Come rain or come shine, we gotta visit the Soul Father before we hit the road, Jack.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
poo poo yeah, let's go chum it up with this fella.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There's a scrap-heap of a hut cobbled together along a back edge of the cave. A twirl of smoke spirals out of the chimney.

"He's been worsening since the wound. Normally, Soul-Fathers are incredible healers, but whatever allowed for that doesn't seem to be extant in this reality." Isentch gurgles sadly.

On a pallet of dried likkien, there's an incredibly thin and bony Risthi, with very blue scaly skin.

"He looks terrible." says Szirkle, shaking his head and trilling mournfully. "So pale. He used to be such a lively blue."

You look at the wound; it's black, and oozing purple fluid.

"He's been like this for weeks. No matter how many times we change the bandages, it keeps seeping. Whatever it was that lets his wounds clot, whether it was in our air or water or soil, it is lacking here."

"Is the same true of the rest of you?" you ask.

Isentch looks downcast. "You'll understand if none of us were jumping at the chance to test that out. There was one other who was wounded during the Morani attack, but she has since died. She had fevers, terrible visions. A growth- well, it was hard to describe. In the end, we gave her shoferkolt to end things peacefully."

"Have you considered that it may be some sort of weapon?" you ask.

Isentch and Szyrkel exchange a surprised look. "Have your people such weapons?" Isentch asks, fearfully.

"The Morani might well. They test a lot of horrific things, Constructor-make tools and mekanisms and--" you shudder as dark memories flash in your mind.

You shake your head clear.

"Is there anything you know that can be done about it?" asks Szyrkel.

"Sorry, I don't even know if that's truly the case, I'm just guessing, I'm sorry. I was hoping I would be able to do something, like heal him with a touch or accept his knowledge-"

"You look for knowledge, young man?" asks the Soul-Father in a rasping voice, stirring suddenly.

"Oh, Soul-Father! Don't move! You'll aggravate your wound!" screeches Isentch.

"Shush up, there's not a thing you know that I didn't thread into you. Are you of this world, Idestha?"

A couple beats pass in silence before you realize he's referring to you. "Oh, uh, I'm the Idestha? Yeah, I'm of this world."

"Then I have a piece of information that will be of benefit to you. Might I thread it into you?"

"Can I just say, I don't know what that process entails, and it makes me a bit nervous to-"

"I shall simply touch your temple, there-" he indicates on his head. "-and the thread shall enter and, over time, lace itself into your knowledge."

"I suppose, then..." you say, reluctantly. Two of the Soul-Father's long blue fingers shakily reach out and touch your temple. You cry out in shock and pain as you're stung by a sudden needle thrusting into your brain.

"There was a needle! You didn't mention a needle?!" you shout after the brief, mild seizure passes.

"Yes, I didn't think you'd like that part."

You consider your brain and associated mind-thoughts for a bit. "I don't think I feel or feel that I think any different." you note.

"It will take time for the information to make itself part of your knowledge." the Soul-Father says. "But I hope that it will prove valuable to you when it does." He says.

"Can't you just, y'know... tell me?"

The Soul-Father shakes his head weakly. "That's not how it works. The Context." he says, waving his fingers near his head. "It shall all become clear."

Then a blank look passes over him, and he's comatose again.

"Soul-Father?" you say. He does not respond.

The two Risthi look at you hopefully. You shake your head. "I'm sorry, whatever it is, I don't have it right now. And I can't help him. I'm sorry to say I'm useless."

"Please, don't burden yourself with our difficulties after you have been through so much." says Isentch, bowing slightly. "Even your barest attempts mean much."

Szyrkle sighs, disappointed. "We should be off to Foronkai, then, as it is is our next best hope."

"Show me to the tunnel." you say.

Isentch thinks for a moment. "I am undecided as to a best course. There are two ways to go, but one is far more difficult and treacherous. I would suggest the other way, but our perimeter guard has reported a Morani patrol there in recent days."

1.) Take the more difficult, treacherous path.
2.) Take the path Morani possibly have an eye on.
3.) Write-in Option.

Inventory
Characters

Elsewhere in the Beaten Lands
[A concurrent CYOA]

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

We don't have any way to deal with the Morani, and we can't risk our newfound freedom. Take the difficult path.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
2, we're still a cracked walnut short of what we owe the Morani and we should pay that debt.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Do what pussythroat wants us to do.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Rocks are plentiful, revenge is high on the priority list and sanity isn't really, I'm not saying we go looking for the fight, but if it comes to us then that's fine.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
So you're saying is we go find a Morani and pick up a rock and hit it over and over and over and over and over again it's just some blameless series of events that happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011