Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Shiftypenguin posted:

Come on M10 level 65 Ghost Call!

only 8 months until we might maybe get level 65 OPQs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i wish krieg was playable in 3 as well. he's easily the most fun player character they've done. I'm kind of mixed on the 'new characters every game' thing, cause so far it seems to mean the player is a non-entity during the story, then they come back in the next game to get merked in some stupid way to give the writer's OC yet more motivation to beat the baddy.

but the borderlands 1 characters were exceptionally dull, i guess because the game was reworked from a serious mad max thing to what it is now at the last minute.

I do like FL4K a lot, even if barely anyone comments on them being a robot at all.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

it was kinda weird that

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i wish krieg was playable in 3 as well. he's easily the most fun player character they've done. I'm kind of mixed on the 'new characters every game' thing, cause so far it seems to mean the player is a non-entity during the story

I do like FL4K a lot, even if barely anyone comments on them being a robot at all.

The weirdest thing is that the story is like 85% about Sirens and they never comment that you're one too if you play as Amara. not even once. Its not even that much extra dialogue, they only have 4 characters and they were pretty up front about not adding any more.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

A Moose posted:

it was kinda weird that

The weirdest thing is that the story is like 85% about Sirens and they never comment that you're one too if you play as Amara. not even once. Its not even that much extra dialogue, they only have 4 characters and they were pretty up front about not adding any more.

yeah that's true, i hadn't thought about that. i guess sirens don't get to do anything special in the game they're in, then later they either become the main character or get punked and then have the bad guy show that they were totally bad at using their own powers.

i've been playing the handsome jackpot DLC and man, is there someone out there really clamoring for more handsome jack?

also does anyone have a good build for FL4K that uses the gun monkey?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

A Moose posted:

The random mooks you gun down by the hundreds have more class-specific dialogue (even if it's just "HEY SOLDIER GIRL!"-style callouts) than any of the NPCs you actually talk to, who as far as I'm aware literally never acknowledge the PC's class in any way. It's dumb and lazy and perfectly in line with the game's mediocre writing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Amara is probably the one who takes Maya's death the most personally besides Ava, she has a couple of sad remarks about her death and then a few again in the Kreig DLC, she only ever refers to her as sister as well.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
That's one thing I definately miss from the Pre-sequel, characters could talk to you instead of at you. They'd have unique dialogue and conversations with each vault hunter class. I know they brought a lot from the pre-sequel into Borderlands 3 but that's one thing I miss.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
New mode is called Arms Race, elements of BR but "not a Battle Royale game". Despite being BR-like I don't think it'll be PvP.

Could be fun but a standalone mode is not what I was hoping for.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Borderlands Battle Royale would be the worst idea in the world, uh oh Amara just phaselocked someone and 20 people died to Ties that Bind.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Judge Tesla posted:

Borderlands Battle Royale would be the worst idea in the world, uh oh Amara just phaselocked someone and 20 people died to Ties that Bind.

There's a reason PVP got relegated to a non-entity after the first game. You'd have to remove skill trees and action skills to make not a total disaster.

It's going to suck if this second season is just trying to make Gun Running a thing, regardless of whether it works or not.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Rinkles posted:

New mode is called Arms Race, elements of BR but "not a Battle Royale game". Despite being BR-like I don't think it'll be PvP.

Could be fun but a standalone mode is not what I was hoping for.

If this is the way they are going with the game, I think I'll skip future seasons.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Its probably going to be some kind of race to get the most kills or something, if its not going to be pvp. Maybe we'll have to use random guns or something.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So here's my big problem with Borderlands games in general :

When you have a specific gun that feels really good to use, the game is a blast. When you don't, it's annoying and a slog. What ends up happening is I find a really great gun to use for a while, and I have pure joy, then I outlevel it and start having problems with enemies not dying fast enough and I switch up guns and the fun I have drops significantly. The games have millions of guns and all but when only a handful feel good to use it's really annoying when you don't get one of those handfuls.

The problem is worst early on at lower levels too, so you have to level up just to get to the point where you start getting the good guns that feel good to use. I hate the lower levels because trying to get a decent gun early on is just so annoying.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

khy posted:

When you have a specific gun that feels really good to use, the game is a blast. When you don't, it's annoying and a slog. What ends up happening is I find a really great gun to use for a while, and I have pure joy, then I outlevel it and start having problems with enemies not dying fast enough and I switch up guns and the fun I have drops significantly. The games have millions of guns and all but when only a handful feel good to use it's really annoying when you don't get one of those handfuls.

The problem is worst early on at lower levels too, so you have to level up just to get to the point where you start getting the good guns that feel good to use. I hate the lower levels because trying to get a decent gun early on is just so annoying.

BL3 regularly dropped enough legendaries I was able to not run into this but it absolutely happened to me in BL2. I remember getting sick of trying to cheatengine in things or add golden keys I just gave up like halfway into the campaign.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

khy posted:

Yeah, my patience for this has declined over the years. Starting with BL2 I would do a playthrough on the campaign first without adjusting things, but after that I find using a save editor is a big quality-of-life upgrade. Otherwise the grind is just too, well, grindy.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

yeah, this feeling kinda happens in 3, but it was SUPER bad in 2. In Borderlands 2 I remember getting a WTF shield and a swarm of bees grenade that made gunfights in multiplayer a bunch more chaotic and fun. Those 2 legendaries made the game so different and changed how we played and really felt legendary...

but I out-leveled those almost immediately and the game got less fun than it was before I found those legendaries.

The legendaries in 3 are a little tamer, but also more common. Also it doesn't feel so bad to replace them with purples 10 levels higher

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I LOOKED INTO THE HEART OF DARKNESS, AND I ATE IT ALL

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Patchnotes for Bloody Harvest launch: https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2020-10-08-borderlands-3-hotfixes-oct-8/

Bunch of changes to Terror anointments, and a fair bunch of changes to Zane and his mods to incentivize using mods besides Seein' Dead.

Edit: Oh man they buried the lede! Maurice now has an avatar when he calls you!

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 8, 2020

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Is that a buff to Ghast Call I see? That'll make the Kreig DLC bosses less lovely to fight.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

BizarroAzrael posted:

Patchnotes for Bloody Harvest launch: https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2020-10-08-borderlands-3-hotfixes-oct-8/

Bunch of changes to Terror anointments, and a fair bunch of changes to Zane and his mods to incentivize using mods besides Seein' Dead.

Edit: Oh man they buried the lede! Maurice now has an avatar when he calls you!

INCREASED damage for Ghast Call?? :unsmigghh:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sex Hobbit posted:

INCREASED damage for Ghast Call?? :unsmigghh:

Have to grab one and try it out, but grenades were buffed across the board and there have been changed to mayhem scaling, so it may not be crazy. But cool if it is, with Duct Tape Mod going off every 4 seconds.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

is there a way for me to get a higher level version of the Cloud Kill smg you get from the main story (beyond playing through the whole thing on true vault hunter mode i guess). it was my favourite gun for a very long time till i outlevelled it.

right now my best guns are clairvoyance and convergence. clairvoyance is a cryo element jakobs AR that shoots torgue-style sticky bombs and for some reason does a huge amount of damage. convergence is a shotgun that makes a bunch of extra pellets come out of midair and hit the enemy and do a ton of damage.

i recently found a maliwan smg called Flipper that doubles the amount of bullets it fires as you hold down fire, up to like a grid of 9. it does a good amount of damage too.

i'm on mayhem 6 because i want to see the special mayhem-only guns, but its not super fun as like 99% of guns are totally useless, and rolling a good set of modifiers takes forever. right now i have a pretty decent set of modifiers, but one of them is that like half of all enemies are immune to fire damage, so i can't use the hellwalker shotgun like i used to.

is there anything special with the ghosts in the halloween event? do they have a mechanic or are they just enemies that spawn when you kill other enemies?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

is there a way for me to get a higher level version of the Cloud Kill smg you get from the main story (beyond playing through the whole thing on true vault hunter mode i guess). it was my favourite gun for a very long time till i outlevelled it.

right now my best guns are clairvoyance and convergence. clairvoyance is a cryo element jakobs AR that shoots torgue-style sticky bombs and for some reason does a huge amount of damage. convergence is a shotgun that makes a bunch of extra pellets come out of midair and hit the enemy and do a ton of damage.

i recently found a maliwan smg called Flipper that doubles the amount of bullets it fires as you hold down fire, up to like a grid of 9. it does a good amount of damage too.

i'm on mayhem 6 because i want to see the special mayhem-only guns, but its not super fun as like 99% of guns are totally useless, and rolling a good set of modifiers takes forever. right now i have a pretty decent set of modifiers, but one of them is that like half of all enemies are immune to fire damage, so i can't use the hellwalker shotgun like i used to.

is there anything special with the ghosts in the halloween event? do they have a mechanic or are they just enemies that spawn when you kill other enemies?

don't be afraid to just keep re-rolling mayhem modifiers until you get something that doesn't suck.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If you're playing on PC then you could edit the save. I've been using the web-based save editor and it has been working okay. Not as good as Gibbed was for BL2, but functional.

http://bl3editor.com/#/

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Huh. I remember the Halloween event being a lot harder last year. Dunno if it's because of all the buffs, but I tear through it and Haunt on M10 with my cryo Zane. Like, it's oddly easy now. The ghosts are all one shots, too. Even the red badass ones.

I can even snipe Haunt's phylacteries from across the stage with my cryo light show, which is not something that the light show can usually do. Just one hit and poof, destroyed.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I decided to run through Krieg's dlc on Moze and pretty early into it I got a Mind Sweeper class mod with some really nice bonuses on it. It just so happened that I also got a 65 M10 fire/corrosive Flipper with a meh anoint before that and the combo of the 2 is, uh, strong:

https://twitter.com/hamsystem_/status/1315168946446897152?s=19

and here's the 2 pieces of gear and my totally unoptimized build:

https://twitter.com/hamsystem_/status/1315172927650828288?s=19

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you're playing on PC then you could edit the save. I've been using the web-based save editor and it has been working okay. Not as good as Gibbed was for BL2, but functional.

http://bl3editor.com/#/

thanks, i'll give this a go!

the terror affixes for halloween seem terrible, am i missing something?

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
I just finished the main story.
Am I the only one who burst out laughing when the end credits song started playing?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think I've done 8 runs across 2 characters and not see a Ghast Call or a Fearmonger yet, was there a trick or condition to make them drop?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Sample_text posted:

Am I the only one who burst out laughing when the end credits song started playing?

Not at all. The only thing funnier was Scrappy Doo being named the commander of the Crimson Raiders.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Devorum posted:

Not at all. The only thing funnier was Scrappy Doo being named the commander of the Crimson Raiders.

So I have my own headcannon theory about that (incoming effortpost)
I have a sneaking suspicition Ava was supposed to be the only remaining Siren and do most of the Siren heavy lifting while Tannis took on the Eridian expert role.
She was supposed to have her own little mini-Lilith arc, going through a loss, becoming impulsive and reckless , getting punished for it, then having her big hero moment.
But then 3 things happened:
-The ending was rushed as hell so they needed to put her arc on fast-forward, hence why her impulsive yelling seems so grating
-Somewhere Gearbox realized "oh wow with the way we have this setup, Pen and Teller will torture a child in front of a live audience. Yikes. Better re-write that." Hence you get the existing story.
-They also probably realized that making Tannis the leader would be out of character , what with her whole......thing going on.

EDIT: I also realize I'm like........1 year late with this take, but I don't dislike the villains that much. They feel more wasted than inherently bad.(but that's another effort post)

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 13, 2020

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The villians basically devolve into typical villain cliches. They could have been a good way to mock streamer culture the same way Handsome Jack/Hyperion was used to mock corporate culture but :effort:

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think I've done 8 runs across 2 characters and not see a Ghast Call or a Fearmonger yet, was there a trick or condition to make them drop?

I've seen more drop out in the wild than off Haunt fwiw.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

hamsystem posted:

I've seen more drop out in the wild than off Haunt fwiw.

Just got a Fearmonger. It's Ghast Calls I really want but it may be as well since they aren't spawning with anoints, which might be a big that gets patched.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just got a Fearmonger. It's Ghast Calls I really want but it may be as well since they aren't spawning with anoints, which might be a big that gets patched.

I believe that's intentional, Ghast Call with anoints would be the most broken thing in the game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Dyz posted:

The villians basically devolve into typical villain cliches. They could have been a good way to mock streamer culture the same way Handsome Jack/Hyperion was used to mock corporate culture but :effort:

They both totally want to kill you and your NPC friends all the time. But then they don't because it gets them good views.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Sample_text posted:

I felt it was out of place and embarrassing for Gearbox. Like they were insecurely saying: This is a AAA game! We have the money to license hit songs!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I don't even remember what the credits song was but they've been using licensed music for the intro and credits since the first game.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I don't even remember what the credits song was but they've been using licensed music for the intro and credits since the first game.

It was “This Girl Is On Fire” by Alicia Keys and it was very out of place compared to the other songs they’ve licensed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh right I must have repressed that memory. That is pretty hilarious.