Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Judge Tesla posted:

The biggest thing that kills my enthusiasm for replaying BL2 with a new character is the slow as balls pace before you hit Sanctuary, the Southern Shelf section is practically a warcrime in how long it feels, plus getting your class skill at level 5 is a huge ball-buster.

Come, come, friend.

As someone who has done this a couple of times recently you can actually blitz through it pretty quickly and ignore the side quests. Not getting your skill until 5 still sucks though. One of the few improvements in TPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe

Gravy Jones posted:

The lack of fast travel and having to fight through those same road blocks over and over again?

Is that fixed for the remaster? They hauled that developed up on stage who made a big point about navigation, but the outcome seemed to just be "mini map on screen!"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gravy Jones posted:

Come, come, friend.

As someone who has done this a couple of times recently you can actually blitz through it pretty quickly and ignore the side quests. Not getting your skill until 5 still sucks though. One of the few improvements in TPS.

You can also edit a save and start a New Game Plus with a new character in their 30s.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Megazver posted:

You can also edit a save and start a New Game Plus with a new character in their 30s.

You can yes, on PC but not consoles.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I liked the bullet sponges and rare good loot. Oh well.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Have they changed the not cheatengine loot rate? My bud and I got two oranges to drop yesterday while starting a new co-op run of 2.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr E posted:

Have they changed the not cheatengine loot rate? My bud and I got two oranges to drop yesterday while starting a new co-op run of 2.

It was improved over the course of a few patches, but this was some years ago.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Judge Tesla posted:

The biggest thing that kills my enthusiasm for replaying BL2 with a new character is the slow as balls pace before you hit Sanctuary, the Southern Shelf section is practically a warcrime in how long it feels, plus getting your class skill at level 5 is a huge ball-buster.

It's all very endearing to me. Boom Bewm and other boss intros always make me chuckle. Normally for pre-sanctuary I do this in MP where we just run forward shooting through things.

Light the fuses, bitches -- I'm ready to BLOW :swoon:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

iospace posted:

I'm one of those people who thought BL2 was better than BL1. Yes it's me, supposedly That Guy.

Gameplay wise, 2 is much better (although I stand by what I said about some of the gimmicks ruining too many guns, and the scaling gets loving absurd) but as far as story and tone goes, BL1 was a lot better. It almost feels like a spaghetti western, while 2 comes off as a big blockbuster written by Reddit memes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Doesn’t 2 have a whole side area that is a western town

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

euphronius posted:

And it gets kind of ruined by having Brick scream SLAB in your ear every 30 seconds.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Tei posted:

I did not knew my love for Borderlands was so huge. I feel like a mechromancer with 300 stacks of anarchy. Cant wait to play Borderlands 3, hope is good and they have pour love on it.

let me tell you about love for a game. I literally felt news of this game coming in my soul. I started just yelling about borderlands 3 a while back and then leaks happened but I wasn't looking for the info something just touched me and woke it up.

euphronius posted:

yep. its where jack's girlfriend is living.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

euphronius posted:

Yes it does, it even has a bank robbery quest

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

euphronius posted:

It does and it's also one of the best zones because it's where you get the Bane and fight Dookie's momma.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Tythas posted:

Yes it does, it even has a bank robbery quest

It's also where Nisha dies too.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is the Movies with Mikey guy the BL1 writer or BL2 writer?

Mikey Neumann wrote BL1, Burch joined the company and wrote BL2 with him. Tales was written by Burch and the Telltale writers, Pre-Sequel was Burch and the 2K Marin writers.

Neither Neumann nor Burch worked on Battleborn, so if you hated that game’s writing, I have bad news: BL3 is probably the same guys.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

Mikey Neumann wrote BL1, Burch joined the company and wrote BL2 with him. Tales was written by Burch and the Telltale writers, Pre-Sequel was Burch and the 2K Marin writers.

Neither Neumann nor Burch worked on Battleborn, so if you hated that game’s writing, I have bad news: BL3 is probably the same guys.

Apparently most of the Tales writing team was scooped up by Gearbox after Telltale went under, and Burch is with Riot now isn't he?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

AirRaid posted:

Because it was HUGE, added neat new enemies and guns, an actual Raid Boss, and had a well written, funny antagonist.

I hope they come up with a better way to handle the post game bosses in this one. In BL2 they were pretty much all one-shot kill machines that required exploiting the level geometry to kill.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pirate Jet posted:

wouldn't people have to have played battleborn to get a cell for the writing

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Last I heard Burch went to Rocket Jump with Freddie Wong, and then I stopped paying attention to him because he didn’t affect anything I played anymore. It’s possible he went to Riot afterwards.

I had not heard about the Telltale writers thing but that would be cool if true.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Any word on whether there's actual gun customization in this one, because I can tolerate Borderlands humor being Borderlands humor as long as I finally get that feature I've been wanting since the first one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

toasterwarrior posted:

Any word on whether there's actual gun customization in this one, because I can tolerate Borderlands humor being Borderlands humor as long as I finally get that feature I've been wanting since the first one.

The leaks mentioned some sort of gun customization

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Vakal posted:

I hope they come up with a better way to handle the post game bosses in this one. In BL2 they were pretty much all one-shot kill machines that required exploiting the level geometry to kill.

Are you talking about the raid bosses? They were never intended to be solo'd but people found ways to do so. Gearbox developers originally theorycrafted a solo Terramophous build for TVHM when the game was released. The easier version of raid bosses are in TPS, they are very weak and boring. Literally nothing to do when you max out, no challenges to be had.

I prefer the difficult raid bosses imo.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

toasterwarrior posted:

It seems like yes? There was mention of interchangeable gun parts and being able to change the type and characteristics of a weapon by switching parts out.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Apparently most of the Tales writing team was scooped up by Gearbox after Telltale went under, and Burch is with Riot now isn't he?

Doesn't seem like any of them were, on a casual Googling.

Burch works for Freddie Wong now, I believe. And DMs a D&D podcast for him.

Incidentally, if any of you haven't read Tales from the Borderlands: The Oral History, you should.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Borderlands 1 was pretty boring, BL2 was more fun but I've never managed to finish it because my coop partners can only play a little bit a month.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alright, I guess I'm tentatively down. For some reason my bros are kinda into BL co-op, and sure, I'll roll with them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My biggest fear is Epic Store Exclusive, honestly.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Anthony Burch gave us Ashly Burch which gave us Tiny Tina and Chloe Price and Aloy and The Bane and an emmy award for writing in Adventure Time

So all is forgiven

Edit: and Cassie Cage

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I’m more scared of the game being bad than it being somewhat inconvenient to buy :shrug:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lid posted:

Anthony Burch gave us Ashly Burch which gave us Tiny Tina and Chloe Price and Aloy and The Bane and an emmy award for writing in Adventure Time

So all is forgiven

Edit: and Cassie Cage

Ashly is significantly cooler than her brother, yeah.

loving Netherrealm why did they replace her in MK11 I’m so mad.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

iospace posted:

Pitchford is absolutely gonna take that epic money

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

iospace posted:

It's possible, but not likely. You can use UE4 with a 5% royalty, or pay upfront and reduce the engine royalty rate, which I think 2k/Gearbox did the latter. From this point they could've negotiated a reduced royalty for the steam store for PC users. Given this is cross platform and going onto consoles, and by extension into retail, they would want to reduce royalty rates as much as possible to maximize revenue. Royalty rates for console (digital / retail) will still exist if they simply sell the pc copy in the epic store, and I think 50%+ of the copies are being sold on console which is a big problem if you are keeping the royalty at 5%.

Keeping continuity of their brand on PC in the same store would also factor into the decision given that they frequently discount the base games to $5 so people can get a taste of the series for cheap, and buy the DLC at less discounted prices afterwards when they realize the franchise owns bones.

Steam (16-22% = 15-20% platform + 1-2% engine + 1m?2m?)
Epic (12% = 12% store, Epic eats the 5% engine royalty )

Basically it's going on Steam imo.

I doubt it for this title honestly

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 29, 2019

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
yeah this is deffo an epic store exclusive

https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/1070125621785714688

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

It's possible, but not likely. You can use UE4 with a 5% royalty, or pay upfront and reduce the engine royalty rate, which I think 2k/Gearbox did the latter. From this point they could've negotiated a reduced royalty for the steam store for PC users. Given this is cross platform and going onto consoles, and by extension into retail, they would want to reduce royalty rates as much as possible to maximize revenue. Royalty rates for console (digital / retail) will still exist if they simply sell the pc copy in the epic store, and I think 50%+ of the copies are being sold on console which is a big problem if you are keeping the royalty at 5%.

Keeping continuity of their brand on PC in the same store would also factor into the decision given that they frequently discount the base games to $5 so people can get a taste of the series for cheap, and buy the DLC at less discounted prices afterwards when they realize the franchise owns bones.

Steam (16-22% = 15-20% platform + 1-2% engine + 1m?2m?)
Epic (12% = 12% store, Epic eats the 5% engine royalty )

Basically it's going on Steam imo.

You forgot to put in the exclusivity payment Gearbox would get. So ya I think it will be at the very least a timed exclusive for Epic Game Store then coming out later on steam.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
That is true and also possible. I think the payment and exclusivity would damage their franchise brand though on PC. Financially they might come out slightly ahead initially, but Steam is still an institution for PC gaming because it's much more than simply a storefront.

e: I would think of this as a negotiating tactic. Where the customer tries to pit different vendors against each other for improved preferential pricing, such as with Server CPUs where nothing ever sells for MSRP to the major vendors.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Here's something Pitchford Re-tweeted about the writers. Don't know them but it's a lead.

https://twitter.com/ConnorTCleary/status/1111352835059396608

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

Here's something Pitchford Re-tweeted about the writers. Don't know them but it's a lead.

https://twitter.com/ConnorTCleary/status/1111352835059396608

You can see what they wrote on MobyGames. Eheheheh.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

watho posted:

I’m more scared of the game being bad than it being somewhat inconvenient to buy :shrug:

I don't care about the epic store or steam or whatever either way and am more scared of the fact that I will pre-order the biggest dumbest special edition with some dumb piece of useless merch and be mocked for it for eternity

we all get one game we're allowed to do that for right? right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

:speculate: