Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Amara makes lots of different colored numbers pop up and punches really hard. That's fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

skaboomizzy posted:

Amara makes lots of different colored numbers pop up and punches really hard. That's fun!

You make a compelling argument.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Jesus Christ the last boss of the Kreig DLC sucks so much. I got him to halfway after chewing through almost all my ammo and way too much time, then got stuck on something and died. Turned the console off.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Chasiubao posted:

Jesus Christ the last boss of the Kreig DLC sucks so much. I got him to halfway after chewing through almost all my ammo and way too much time, then got stuck on something and died. Turned the console off.

i died twenty minutes in with him only at a sliver of life because i got impatient and wasn't paying enough attention (i fell). i haven't been that PO'd at a videogame in a while.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
The Kreig DLC definitely suffers from poor game design. I spent 15 minutes trying to get past the platform area you drop down onto where the train boss keeps popping in and out. I lost count how many times I either fell of the platform due to the visual noise or got knocked off the platform by an enemy or the train.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Going through the main story. Are there any side quests I shouldn't skip? Just wanna make sure I'm not missing any upgrades or anything

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Saxophone posted:

Going through the main story. Are there any side quests I shouldn't skip? Just wanna make sure I'm not missing any upgrades or anything

https://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/list-of-character-skins-and-heads-including-all-dlcs/4109025

Here's a list of which missions gives heads and skins, if that's what you're looking for.

Otherwise, most side missions have a mini boss which drops some kind of legendary now. "The Homestead (Part 2)" in the Splinterlands gives you access to the Hellshock farm.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If you disable Guardian buffs, do you still earn Guardian xp in the background?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

victrix posted:

If you disable Guardian buffs, do you still earn Guardian xp in the background?

Pretty sure, yeah

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Psychedelicatessen posted:

https://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/list-of-character-skins-and-heads-including-all-dlcs/4109025

Here's a list of which missions gives heads and skins, if that's what you're looking for.

Otherwise, most side missions have a mini boss which drops some kind of legendary now. "The Homestead (Part 2)" in the Splinterlands gives you access to the Hellshock farm.

Awesome, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on skill points or gear slots or anything.

I'll probably come back and do these later then

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
The birthday party side mission in Splinterlands just gives a joke grenade but it's worth it for the bandit birthday song and FL4K's dialogue, if you're playing as them.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Got to the boss at the end of the third part of the Kreig DLC.

gently caress that guy. 20 minutes and all my ammo to take out just his shields.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Took me around 45 hours 'cos I did as many side quests as I could spot

But I beat the main story.

What a frustratingly addictive game. The gameplay is great, but holy poo poo the writing and the pacing suuuuuuuuuuuuck. There were about 4 logical conclusion points, but then PLOT TWIST SOMETHING DIDN'T WORK AND NOW WE HAVE TO KEEP loving GOING.

You spend waaaaaaayyyy too long on Eden 6. I hated that place. The end fight was also anticlimactic all things considered. Y'know how it was described as planet sized and then it really wasn't.

I haven't disliked, enjoying a game so much.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Having taken a break after DLC2 was released, me and a friend were rather wary going into the lowly reviewed Bounty of Blood (42% Mixed on Steam) and Fustercluck (35% Mostly Negative) - but they were OK? Fustercluck was definitely the weakest of all 4, but even then I'd put it more in the Average territory and not Negative.

I really liked the Skyrim "secret door" shortcuts in BoB where most sidequests had their own area that looped back on itself once it was finished. It was also a huge relief to have most quests be available without needing to revisit the zones again later.

A shame that Fustercluck forgot that memo and each zone had the mandatory "Revisit and run through it all again for this sidequest" after the main quest was done. Actually most sidequests in Fustercluck were clearly in need of some more dev time. Compare the Chess sidequest with "Scratch Kriegs back" or "Show him the World". What the hell happened there.
The order of the zones was also a bit odd. Personally I would've probably swapped the order around a bit - Start with the Hyperion experiment fascility -> Crimson raiders doubts -> Maya. For having Maya appear and clearly be a cornerstone in Kriegs psyche, it felt odd how she didn't at all interact after her zone and just hung around as a spirit. It was nice to revisit the Athenas tileset though, I enjoyed the look of it and felt it was underused in the base game.

While none of the story DLCs hit the highs of Tiny Tinas Assault on Dragonkeep, they were all enjoyable in their own way. Now, the Toy Gun DLC for 5$ however...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BoB's narrator was great

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

BoB would have been loving superb, but oh my god that music. That wretched, wailing, dissonant, discordant, diabolical noise.

Yeah I wasn't a fan.

Still though, I loving loved the art direction. Rose :swoon: The wilderness areas? Amazing.

As for the whole game, yeah,

H13 posted:

I haven't disliked, enjoying a game so much.

BL3 is such a trainwreck of a AAA game as a whole.

I wonder if I should try to go through the BL2 DLC or the Presequel.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah the music was an experiment that by the second combat encounter was clearly a mistake

But I loved the DLC as a whole. Like I said before, I wouldn't mind an entire game set on Gehenna.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

victrix posted:

I wonder if I should try to go through the BL2 DLC or the Presequel.

Tiny Tina's assault on dragon's keep is easily my favorite borderlands content (minus bl1 I never played). I think most ppl were expecting round 2 with fustercluck, and it just was meh, if not taking a few steps backwards.

Presequel was ok for me, worth the playthrough if you want more borderlands content. Some good highlights playing as claptrap

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fwiw, despite my issues with TPS, Athena is my favorite VH to play. By a pretty wide margin.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Fwiw, despite my issues with TPS, Athena is my favorite VH to play. By a pretty wide margin.

That makes two of us. My favorites are Athena and Anarchy Gaige. Shame the BL3 hunters feel kind of uninspired.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Floppychop posted:

That makes two of us. My favorites are Athena and Anarchy Gaige. Shame the BL3 hunters feel kind of uninspired.

I wish they interacted more directly with each other, like some of the previous vault hunters. There nothing like Maya and Athena's long range action skill revives or Krieg's instant revive/FFYL skill.
They all seem very self centered and any buffs to teammates are passive, like the team speed boost from Vigor.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Psychedelicatessen posted:

They all seem very self centered and any buffs to teammates are passive, like the team speed boost from Vigor.

I seem to recall the general response to the character intro trailers being ”why would any of these people join anything let alone a militia on another planet” and it’s kinda depressing that the game’s writing bore that out

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's in character for Moze at least. She's just doing poo poo to feed herself and upkeep Iron Bear but she's still got a sense of professionalism about the job.

Amara was a crime fighter on her home planet so she has some sense of heroic justice even if it's just an excuse to fight people.

The other two are much more morally grey and are basically just along because they got nothing better to do.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

so I've discovered that most of the mayhem modifiers suck.

Immunities are bad because I always find a really cool gun that everyone just happens to be immune to

Freeze Tag is just annoying

Floor is lava is annoying and I hate it

pain tolerance is almost as bad as the immunities

Boundary Issues might not be so bad, but for some reason, all melee enemies get cryo tethers and you just get dogpiled to death

Ticked Off an automatic reroll because I'm playing Amara and elemental damage is a huge part of her damage.

Post Mortem is all the annoyance of Freeze Tag except it just kills you

None of these make the game any more fun or challenging, they're all a boring chore that just invalidate random play styles. The amount of rerolling I do to avoid all of these and also try to get lootsplosion is unreasonable.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Like basically every other weird decision in this game, it's baffling.

Let you pick mods, with variable bonuses based on difficulty culled from mass data points?

Nah. Mash reroll for five minutes until you get a combination that isn't pure rear end.

That's more fun because,

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Finally picked this up for PC and am enjoying myself as much as I can. Writing is total rear end, level design is subpar, quest design is subpar, but it's Borderlands and that's what matters. I'm the problem. Would pay $60 for them to stuff Borderlands 2 into the Borderlands 3 engine, though. Don't even need to really update the graphics, I just want all those guns, the much improved drop rates, and the smoother gameplay.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

victrix posted:

Like basically every other weird decision in this game, it's baffling.

Let you pick mods, with variable bonuses based on difficulty culled from mass data points?

Nah. Mash reroll for five minutes until you get a combination that isn't pure rear end.

That's more fun because,

Whoever decided the various drones the enemies can spawn with aren't targetable with the various bullet ricochet skills is the worse.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I don't even like most of the easy, beneficial modifiers. Not really interested in playing with big head mode or excessive movement speed that is constantly going up and down. Even lootsplosion just exacerbates the issue this game has where it drops a legendary that you don't give the slightest poo poo about every 3 feet.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Does the movement speed buff from modifiers increase Amara's damage output, with the spiritual driver?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Vargs posted:

I don't even like most of the easy, beneficial modifiers. Not really interested in playing with big head mode or excessive movement speed that is constantly going up and down. Even lootsplosion just exacerbates the issue this game has where it drops a legendary that you don't give the slightest poo poo about every 3 feet.

What, you don’t want a twelfth Gunerang?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Did they remove the Krakatoa from the common loot pool? I haven't seen one in a while.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Tombot posted:

Did they remove the Krakatoa from the common loot pool? I haven't seen one in a while.

definitely not. I got 3 with the same 40% radiation damage anoint just yesterday

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i like that fl4k is just looking for excuses to murder progressively larger bosses, but the other characters are non-entities. im only at the jakobs planet so far but it mostly feels like a story about The Super Special OC Lilith and her nameless minion who does all the work

i wish i could join the children of the vault and finish the job

I also called what was going to happen in the cutscene after you beat the first vault boss on promethea, literally line for line. I knew exactly what was going to happen and I only watched the cutscene to see if they swerved me. they did not. I can't wait for the annoying kid to use that as motivation to awaken siren powers and then killsteal the final boss from me some way down the line.

i do like hammerlock and the jakobs guy though, the writing so far on this planet has been less intolerable, apart from a brief appearance by tiny tina. i have found her extremely annoying since the first cutscene she showed up in in borderlands 2. where she sings pop goes the weasel and i knew she was going to yell POP and then say 'goes the weasel' in an annoying voice afterwards. i had a deadly premonition of it happening and when it happened it was full body cringe.

i have psychic powers, but only for the lowest level cliche hack writing

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

k

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i wish i could join the children of the vault and finish the job

I feel this

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The biggest crime this game does is have the names in the credits be in alphabetical order

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I also called what was going to happen in the cutscene after you beat the first vault boss on promethea, literally line for line. I knew exactly what was going to happen and I only watched the cutscene to see if they swerved me. they did not. I can't wait for the annoying kid to use that as motivation to awaken siren powers and then killsteal the final boss from me some way down the line.
Hope you're ready for another swerve! :haw: She actually blames everything on Lilith, and the game goes with that instead. And NOBODY calls her out on being a little poo poo! Don't you just love her now? But I still don't think you can predict the ending, so I'll give you a hint: Poochie'd.

Also :same: on wanting to take over the CoV.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Lilith was my go-to VH in BL1. So I'm extremely unhappy that they've completely botched her writing in BL2&3.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I feel like BL1 was pre-flanderization of the whole series, but that may be nostalgia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

victrix posted:

I feel like BL1 was pre-flanderization of the whole series, but that may be nostalgia
That's because BL1 was originally a sci-fi Mad Max game until 9 months or so before release, when they lifted the Code Hunters aesthetic. The 'humor' was mostly courtesy of the post-release DLC.