Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Borderlands 4 should have no story and no allied characters. There should not be a single line of dialogue. All classes should be disembodied guns that collect more guns.

Not only will that make for a better, more enjoyable game where you don't wait for scripted events and for people to stop yammering for a third of your time, but when Gearbox announces terrible new paid content for their game people won't ignore the game itself in favor of criticizing their characters and writing.

Everyone wins.

I believe this unironically. It would be a better game. The only sentient entities that exist should be targets for you to kill as quickly as possible so that you can can be a very successful gun that loots more guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

If I'd have paid full price for Season Pass 2, I'd be pissed right now.

I wish I could have been in the room when they decided to base an entire DLC around following around the least popular, and most pointless, character in the game.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Is the 'original' Season Pass even worth $25? Season Pass 2 doesn't really hold any appeal...

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

denereal visease posted:

Is the 'original' Season Pass even worth $25? Season Pass 2 doesn't really hold any appeal...

I think it is. I enjoyed all 4 DLCs to varying degrees and don't regret finishing any of them.

It's easily four times as much actual content as Season Pass 2.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the final boss at the end of DLC 4 has like literally 20x more health than it needs to huh? i got it down to like 20% health and it took me roughly 15 minutes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

watho posted:

the final boss at the end of DLC 4 has like literally 20x more health than it needs to huh? i got it down to like 20% health and it took me roughly 15 minutes.

It's cause BL3 is a game that you can completely break the back of, which unlike almost everything else, that boss seemed to take into account. So if you're on relatively high Mayhem, and only have a reasonable build, it's gonna take ages (I got impatient at the very end and fell into the abyss just as he was about to die, the first time round. so beating him took me 40minutes on M10.)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah i died again and ended up turning off mayhem just to stomp it and get it over with

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
For anyone who has poo poo they want to farm out of Arms Race, the Valentines day event is making it easier than usual.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Hey, are we gonna be able to get a Wedding Invitation again? A newly max-leveled WI would be enough to get me to play again.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mr Scumbag posted:

Hey, are we gonna be able to get a Wedding Invitation again? A newly max-leveled WI would be enough to get me to play again.

You can during the current event, kill 100 hearts. One per character, I've not decided if I'll do the save trick to farm any.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Has anyone had an issue trying to join a friend-only game? It keeps timing out when I join my friend or he joins me.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Finished this last night and... what the gently caress was that ending?

The epic boss fight took like 2 minutes, and then Lilith did.... something with the moon?

What?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Presto posted:

The epic boss fight took like 2 minutes, and then Lilith did.... something with the moon?
I like to think of it as going full Poochie.

The scuttlebutt from the few journalists I know is that BL3 was written assuming that the second season of Tales from the Borderlands would lay the foundation for all of the major plot beats that would conclude with the beginning of BL3. TellTale going under threw everything into disarray, leading to a very messy attempt to kludge the two storylines together simultaneously. It didn't work out very well, and the character they were intending to hang the franchise on going forward is 'very divisive' (read: hated) among the community due to some missing character arc moments and a plot hole that had her responsible for the death of a fan-favorite character.

TL;DR: It's a loving mess, don't try to make sense out of it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A shame the writing in the main story wasn't better because there are some genuinely good writing in quite a few of the side missions.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Jimbot posted:

A shame the writing in the main story wasn't better because there are some genuinely good writing in quite a few of the side missions.

A slappin' shame

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Presto posted:

What?

The long and short of it is that Elpis, the Moon was the vault key for Pandora itself and so Lilith slammed into the moon with her powers to both close the vault containing the Destroyer and also stop Pandora from being torn to bits.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

gearbox wanted to have lilith sacrifice herself at the end and worked backwards from that

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

If anyone wants the valentine's event guns they seem to note be dropping extremely frequently from gold hearts, so much so it should be easy to get whatever anoint you may want. Also make Arms Race pretty easy, but they may be reducing the AR drops. Think there's about a day left.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Go Gearbox!

Also the rumble of this game when using a DualSense feels awful to me.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Erm I just started this game again with a friend and vendored my Wedding Invitation since it did not seem very good to me. Was that a mistake?

I'm also playing my original char solo again this time on TVHM and dabbling in Mayhem. I tried Mayhem 10 but that was like banging my head against the wall. 5 is more manageable and showers me in legendary loot, so much that I usually vendor epics without even trying now. It takes a lot of inventory management keeping track of which guns to use. Found a legendary Maggie which was awesome, but then almost never used it since I had to try other guns (and since the Flakker is so imbalanced/good).

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Sioux posted:

Erm I just started this game again with a friend and vendored my Wedding Invitation since it did not seem very good to me. Was that a mistake?

I'm also playing my original char solo again this time on TVHM and dabbling in Mayhem. I tried Mayhem 10 but that was like banging my head against the wall. 5 is more manageable and showers me in legendary loot, so much that I usually vendor epics without even trying now. It takes a lot of inventory management keeping track of which guns to use. Found a legendary Maggie which was awesome, but then almost never used it since I had to try other guns (and since the Flakker is so imbalanced/good).

TVHM is pretty pointless at the moment. Unless you want to reset quests, you're better off on Normal Mayhem.

That's unless something changed recently.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I believe outside of quest resets and some edge cases TVHM is rendered obsolete by Mayhem. Besides level scaling (which Mayhem does) it adjusted the elemental damage chart against health types, which I *think* Mayhem also does. Borderlands 3 is the first one I played at release but I think early on for BL2 you'd expect to finish the game at level 35 with the cap at 50, with TVHM being the most viable way to make the cap (and you'd still be close to completing the story by the time you hit it) so I think TVHM carried over, even though the leveling in 3 seems much better matched against the length of the content, and getting 5 levels from a cap increase has been trivial.

Hope there is a decent amount of new content coming up (I know not to hold my breath) I'm quite happy with my Zane build and want to throw it at some new stuff. I have the Frozen Heart shield with the anoint to trigger it's charged/broken effects on action skill, so firing the shoulder cannon freezes every dingdong around laying up for boosted headshots. It's still fun running Maliwan Takedown, which is good as I'd like a better Redistributor.

I hope they don't do the Cartel event again and increase the level cap again after. I know they said no more increases "for the foreseeable future" in September but that doesn't rule it out. I kind of wonder if they will ever let things get as crazy as BL2 was by the end, where you could do builds with all three capstones (granted only with the DLC that heralded BL3)

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I find mayhem 11 to be where it's at, WAY easier than mayhem 8-10 and you still get mayhem 10 drops with none of the BS. After trying it I've never went back to the "normal" mayhem modes, the amount of legendaries doesn't seem to be much different, you still get them by the assload.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

isn’t mayhem 11 half the bonuses of 10? the modifiers aren’t fun but you can roll up a set that aren’t too obtrusive at least

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

watho posted:

isn’t mayhem 11 half the bonuses of 10? the modifiers aren’t fun but you can roll up a set that aren’t too obtrusive at least

they were supposed to be, but at least initially they pretty obviously weren't (you know how gearbox is). i haven't paid much attention since, but afaik, they never fixed it (bless them).

watho
Aug 2, 2013

lmfao

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Finished both the Guns death & Tentcales and Moxxi's heist dlcs just now and they were pretty good! Nice character beats for existing characters, good new npcs and well-designed level environments. Also good ost for both.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SavageGentleman posted:

Finished both the Guns death & Tentcales and Moxxi's heist dlcs just now and they were pretty good! Nice character beats for existing characters, good new npcs and well-designed level environments. Also good ost for both.

Yeah, those were my favorite BL3 content. Even with Moxxi being one of the established characters I think has been mostly ruined, taking her from sinister/sexy to Golden Girls. No offense intended to Betty White.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

BizarroAzrael posted:

I believe outside of quest resets and some edge cases TVHM is rendered obsolete by Mayhem. Besides level scaling (which Mayhem does) it adjusted the elemental damage chart against health types, which I *think* Mayhem also does. Borderlands 3 is the first one I played at release but I think early on for BL2 you'd expect to finish the game at level 35 with the cap at 50, with TVHM being the most viable way to make the cap (and you'd still be close to completing the story by the time you hit it) so I think TVHM carried over, even though the leveling in 3 seems much better matched against the length of the content, and getting 5 levels from a cap increase has been trivial.

Hope there is a decent amount of new content coming up (I know not to hold my breath) I'm quite happy with my Zane build and want to throw it at some new stuff. I have the Frozen Heart shield with the anoint to trigger it's charged/broken effects on action skill, so firing the shoulder cannon freezes every dingdong around laying up for boosted headshots. It's still fun running Maliwan Takedown, which is good as I'd like a better Redistributor.

The only point to TVHM for me is that I can park a character at a farm point in one mode, and when I want to play other content but not lose my saved position I can switch modes.

If you have a moment, could you post a link to your Zane build? Last time I played i was maining Zane and would like to know what still works.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Rinkles posted:

they were supposed to be, but at least initially they pretty obviously weren't (you know how gearbox is). i haven't paid much attention since, but afaik, they never fixed it (bless them).

I'm pretty sure, going by info from the few streamers I follow (killer6 and joltdude) that world drops are halved at mayhem 11, but anything with a dedicated loot drop is still a 10-12% chance.
So if you're say farming Roaddog to get the Hellwalker there's no difference if it's on M10 or M11, except for M11 having none of the awful modifiers.

That said, world drops on M11 aren't what I would call infrequent, running a Slaughter Shaft will easily fill my inventory 3-4 times over.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for the correction

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Listerine posted:

The only point to TVHM for me is that I can park a character at a farm point in one mode, and when I want to play other content but not lose my saved position I can switch modes.

If you have a moment, could you post a link to your Zane build? Last time I played i was maining Zane and would like to know what still works.

Here.

I've seen builds like it from streamers but I dropped what I think are underperforming Under Cover skills to increase damage via Double Agent tree, at the expense of the All Rounder barrier. I've not noticed much change in my damage or vulnerability to be honest. Still tweaking it, I don't know if i need the second point of Misfortune now, early on my barrier ran out a lot with one point, but spamming the shoulder cannon can usually get it back to full.

For gear I use Light Show, Redistributor and Wedding Invitation with various 50% bonus damage after action skill anoints. Frozen Heart shield is amazing with the anoint to trigger the nova when you fire the shoulder cannon. Spy mod, think it's all good but I think a point in the capstone is good, but it's a pain to farm so whatever. Grenade is just for another 50% elemental damage bonus so take your pick. I've been using an Ice Breaker Victory Rush artifact but I'm not sure I'm doing noticeable extra damage to frozen enemies, and it's still really easy to freeze enemies without it. I also have a Snowdrift Victory Rush, which might be better, or if I stick with the Ice Breaker might be good to switch to it for bosses.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I'm doing a similar build from some streamer, can't find it cause on mobile atm, but the title was called winter soldier or something like that very very strong, seems almost broken at times. Freezing everything all the time, pretty nice.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

https://twitter.com/Borderlands/status/1368971319266529283?s=19

There's a bunch of responses you might legitimately have to this, but I do want to acknowledge that I'm impressed they didn't include Lorelei.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ah yes what badasses noted villians Aurelia Hammerlock and Tyreen Calypso are.

BizarroAzrael posted:

https://twitter.com/Borderlands/status/1368971319266529283?s=19

There's a bunch of responses you might legitimately have to this, but I do want to acknowledge that I'm impressed they didn't include Lorelei.

They included loving Ember from Handsome Jackpot but not Lorelei. Not that either of them are that important outside of their respective planet/DLC area i guess though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

They included loving Ember from Handsome Jackpot but not Lorelei. Not that either of them are that important outside of their respective planet/DLC area i guess though.

I think that's because Lorelei's meant to be nb.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

I think that's because Lorelei's meant to be nb.

Preparing to transition to a male body, in fact.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
idk all i remember about her from in-game is that people called her "her" and she was extremely annoyingly intense about food (in the way that pretty much every questgiver is annoyingly intense about whatever they're obsessed with)

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Why the hell are Fiona and Sasha not in that picture? Or is it just the BL3 cast?

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Why the hell are Fiona and Sasha not in that picture? Or is it just the BL3 cast?

All of the characters in that image are in BL3. I suspect they don't have models for the Tales characters.