Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Darth Walrus posted:

Preparing to transition to a male body, in fact.

i’ve heard that before is that something that’s actually in the game or is it something that’s been JKR’d after the fact because their VA is a trans dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

watho posted:

i’ve heard that before is that something that’s actually in the game or is it something that’s been JKR’d after the fact because their VA is a trans dude?

Ciaran Strange has been out as a trans dude since before his role as Lorelei was announced, so it's not, like, a retcon, at least not for that reason.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

watho posted:

Pretty sure it's in the game. I think I remember them mentioning that the war put their plans to transition on hold, but it's been a while.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

Ciaran Strange has been out as a trans dude since before his role as Lorelei was announced, so it's not, like, a retcon, at least not for that reason.

no i know that. i meant it as like “oh poo poo people are mad at us for casting a trans man as a woman uhhhhhhh they’re actually nb and was about to start hrt before the war broke out” or are there echo logs or something in the game confirming it? like it’s pretty sick either way i’m curious if it’s a retcon or not

Devorum posted:

Pretty sure it's in the game. I think I remember them mentioning that the war put their plans to transition on hold, but it's been a while.

oh sick hell yeah

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

watho posted:

I didn't know this before, but she talks about it in an echo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-R1aBVadwo

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I didn't know this before, but she talks about it in an echo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-R1aBVadwo

oh hell yeah. it’s BL3 quality writing but still cool

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I remember people speculating about Lorelei before release because of casting Strange and her whole pink and teal aesthetic

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Finished the main story on Gunner a little back and will take her into the DLCs the next time they're on sale. In the meantime I've been poking at FL4K and he seems...kind of weak? The pet doesn't seem to contribute very much damage outside of Gamma. It's nice that I already have a ton of guardian ranks from Gunner.

Is the uh, melee Siren spec any better?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
everything feels weak compared to moze's 30s or more of god mode

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Can confirm having played Moze to endgame, Zane is kinda trash in comparison

watho
Aug 2, 2013

after having a pretty fun but sometimes frustrating time of scraping by as moze i looked up some of the inner workings and learning how fire in the skag den and that tree’s capstone scaled and worked together was a true “oh well that’s loving stupid” moment and it kinda killed my drive to keep playing

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
press F to gently caress up everyone in your way

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

Finished the main story on Gunner a little back and will take her into the DLCs the next time they're on sale. In the meantime I've been poking at FL4K and he seems...kind of weak? The pet doesn't seem to contribute very much damage outside of Gamma. It's nice that I already have a ton of guardian ranks from Gunner.

Is the uh, melee Siren spec any better?

I liked FL4K but also played through solo, so having the pets be able to revive me from FFYL was handy.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
The content drop has been pushed back to March 8th because Texas.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Hey, couldn’t find a dedicated series thread so I’ll ask here: I just finished a run through of the normal mode story campaign on TPS after getting to max level in BL2, and I didn’t really have as much fun as with 2. Is it worth continuing toward max level / doing TVHM/UVHM?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Depends. It becomes even more apparent in the secondary playthroughs just how much less there is to do in TPS than BL2. So you're gonna have to do a fair amount of leveling outside the main questline, espcially in UVHM (so probably Darksiders farming). That said, some of the classes are really fun, and you only scratch the surface of what's possible in NVHM. I leveled 3 characters to 70, I think, and had blast much of the time, but TPS does a lot to make you want to hate it.

Who'd you play as?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Played as Jack because I did a lot of YouTube research on who was considered the most fun and powerful. I played BL2 as Maya and ended up wishing I was Salvador once I got to the boss farming stage of character life.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

He gets to be pretty OP, though I didn't actually get very far with him myself. Athena is my fave (of the franchise), and Nisha is a guilty pleasure, cause you can build her to play with minimal skill which is just dumb but in a fun way.

I assume you have claptastic voyage? Cause it's a meaty dlc, with lots of cool gear.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Dross posted:

Hey, couldn’t find a dedicated series thread so I’ll ask here: I just finished a run through of the normal mode story campaign on TPS after getting to max level in BL2, and I didn’t really have as much fun as with 2. Is it worth continuing toward max level / doing TVHM/UVHM?

no

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

TPS does have some fun with the framing device of Athena recounting the story (which it expresses confusingly by making it the same as echo comms) going into the second and third runs. Doesn't add much to actual gameplay though.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Man I'd give my left nut for them to port the mayhem mode scaling to the earlier games. TVHM/UVHM and slag mechanics are just a terrible loving endgame for the series.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Gunner might have a lot of oomph, but my god this ricochet talent on Siren plus a powerful shotgun. I'm blowing up enemies everywhere :getin:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Finished Claptastic Voyage. That was definitely more fun than the majority of the main game. I think I’m going to skip the replays and move on to 3. Which character is a good pick for solo play but also has some multiplayer utility (I’m assuming I can find XBL games that aren’t full of dupers and exploiters)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dross posted:

Finished Claptastic Voyage. That was definitely more fun than the majority of the main game. I think I’m going to skip the replays and move on to 3. Which character is a good pick for solo play but also has some multiplayer utility (I’m assuming I can find XBL games that aren’t full of dupers and exploiters)

All of them are fine. Fl4k has the worst survivability, Amara has the worst endgame at the moment, Moze has a godmode button but her meta builds tend to involve a lot of self-fragging, Zane is all-around good but reliant on a few specific comms to do work at high Mayhem.

That said, they're all perfectly capable of soloing even the hardest group content in the game, and all of them are stronger than any BL2 or PS character while leveling (with the possible exception of Maya once Cloudkill was buffed to be ridiculous).

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Cease to Hope posted:

All of them are fine. Fl4k has the worst survivability, Amara has the worst endgame at the moment, Moze has a godmode button but her meta builds tend to involve a lot of self-fragging, Zane is all-around good but reliant on a few specific comms to do work at high Mayhem.

That said, they're all perfectly capable of soloing even the hardest group content in the game, and all of them are stronger than any BL2 or PS character while leveling (with the possible exception of Maya once Cloudkill was buffed to be ridiculous).

Let's just say that I'm happy to have the "full heal on Second Wind" Guardian perk unlocked already for Fl4k. I'm also disappointed that Amara melee doesn't seem to be too huge but maybe I just need to look up where to find enabling legendaries.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

Let's just say that I'm happy to have the "full heal on Second Wind" Guardian perk unlocked already for Fl4k. I'm also disappointed that Amara melee doesn't seem to be too huge but maybe I just need to look up where to find enabling legendaries.

I'm trying to brew around melee for Amara just now, since she has a cryo affinity option. Pretty much want to freeze fools to boost the melee damage they take from a Facepuncher. I think I want to farm a 300/90 one for that, which seems annoyingly slow for a weapon that shows up so often randomly. Main problem as I see it is that Wotan has a cryo resistance.

Playing Arms Race is frustrating but it does get you engaging with a much wider range of weapons than when you're maxed out and only using legendaries. I wish more of the gimmicks and loops of the non-legendaries made it to end game usage, or at least into on-meta stuff. Like the interuptable Jakobs reload, I've had a great time with those shotgun were I can alternate between reloading and blasting. And there's Atlas guns generally, there's some neat stuff beyond the (OP)Q System, like pistols sometimes fire explosive shells or in bursts and I only just found out, both pretty pleasing.

Meanwhile Torgue guns just seem to be awful without Moze's skillset, and lack variety, it's a real shame.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Trucking through the xpacks on Moze and while I thought the first one was a little bland, the remaining ones seem good so far. My only big issue so far is that the zones are super-linear, which makes sense for a tighter story than the main game, but holy hell is it rough for backtracking to find collectibles. Each of them needs at least one more fast travel spot.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm trying to brew around melee for Amara just now, since she has a cryo affinity option. Pretty much want to freeze fools to boost the melee damage they take from a Facepuncher. I think I want to farm a 300/90 one for that, which seems annoyingly slow for a weapon that shows up so often randomly. Main problem as I see it is that Wotan has a cryo resistance.

Playing Arms Race is frustrating but it does get you engaging with a much wider range of weapons than when you're maxed out and only using legendaries. I wish more of the gimmicks and loops of the non-legendaries made it to end game usage, or at least into on-meta stuff. Like the interuptable Jakobs reload, I've had a great time with those shotgun were I can alternate between reloading and blasting. And there's Atlas guns generally, there's some neat stuff beyond the (OP)Q System, like pistols sometimes fire explosive shells or in bursts and I only just found out, both pretty pleasing.

Meanwhile Torgue guns just seem to be awful without Moze's skillset, and lack variety, it's a real shame.

Yeah, I saw the Facepuncher "dedicated" enemy is a dude in the closed off prison on Eden-6 (not the main prison), and as far as I can see I need to start from Defiance, run to the logging camp, ride the conveyor, and then drop off to the prison just to get the dude. Ugh.

My Oozing Potent Roisen's Thorns is carrying me on Gunner, but yeah I can see the Torgue thing.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pyrolocutus posted:

Yeah, I saw the Facepuncher "dedicated" enemy is a dude in the closed off prison on Eden-6 (not the main prison), and as far as I can see I need to start from Defiance, run to the logging camp, ride the conveyor, and then drop off to the prison just to get the dude. Ugh.

He's also annoying to farm once you get there. Facepuncher is in the common pool, though, so you're better off farming every other non-DLC piece you need for the build. You'll get plenty of Facepunchers along the way to doing that.

Vimto
Sep 11, 2001
Manchester City F.C

Pyrolocutus posted:

My Oozing Potent Roisen's Thorns is carrying me on Gunner, but yeah I can see the Torgue thing.

There's a spawn point at the topmost part of the island just make sure you walk around to trigger it.

Vimto fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 27, 2021

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Talking of farming:

https://twitter.com/Borderlands/status/1377652051304415233?s=20

Sounds like you'll only be farming for parts/stats now, which I find is much easier than getting the right anoint. More details coming from their stream.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BizarroAzrael posted:

Talking of farming:

https://twitter.com/Borderlands/status/1377652051304415233?s=20

Sounds like you'll only be farming for parts/stats now, which I find is much easier than getting the right anoint. More details coming from their stream.

That is fantastic.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Omg yes please!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the maurice machine seems pretty cool as a concept for sure. the anoint reroll is welcome as well and i’m glad that there’s a proper use for eridium now but also anointments are still like really bad at a conceptual level. being able to reroll them is a pretty good band aid solution tho

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

took them long enough

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
more like xurice

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

watho posted:

the anoint reroll is welcome as well and i’m glad that there’s a proper use for eridium now but also anointments are still like really bad at a conceptual level.

What specifically is the problem with anointments as a concept? Item specific perks are common in a lot of games, so I'm curious what the objections are- to anointments as a thing, or Borderlands implementation in particular?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Listerine posted:

What specifically is the problem with anointments as a concept? Item specific perks are common in a lot of games, so I'm curious what the objections are- to anointments as a thing, or Borderlands implementation in particular?

Most of them are very bad relative to the one or two best options in a slot, so it doesn't really allow for the kind of gameplay variance that one might think and just ends up turning the thrill of getting the drop you wanted into the bummer of getting a heavily suboptimal version of the drop you wanted.

Diablo 3 figured this out several years ago with the enchanter.

Dross fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 1, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah mostly what Dross said, there’s usually one or two anoints that are objectively way better than anything else so it’s less of a fun layer on top of the normal loot system and more of a “oh no the weapon that dropped had great parts but a bad anoint so it isn’t actually an upgrade”

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Listerine posted:

Anoints are really badly balanced and they also tend to turn your class ability into the button you press to turn on your anoints rather than the button you press to do your class's cool thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

has the ultimate edition ever dropped below the $50 it is now at the PSN sale?