Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Ytlaya posted:

What's the incentive to use Dahl and Tediore guns? Dahl seem more accurate than Jacobs, but I find that accuracy usually doesn't matter much and I get more firepower from other brands (or a useful gimmick like the Hyperion shield). I just haven't used Tediore much because they devour ammo at an unsustainable rate (might be more useful later once my ammo is more heavily upgraded). Is stuff like the "thrown weapon that homes and shoots" or "thrown weapon that turns into a turret" actually good as more than a neat gimmick?

Dahl makes good all-rounder guns and they often have elemental benefits which Jakobs lacks. They're generally better for anyone that isn't Fl4k or dedicated to critical damage.

Tediore is mostly gimicky but entertaining. I find their stuff is comparable to Dahl's up to around midgame where the guns start to push to extremes of performance.

Dahl makes some of the better legendaries, though - Nighthawkin especially is pretty much the god-tier smg.

Dahl weapons tend to be the most straightforward 'gun-focused' rather than being tied into the overall gimick if that makes any sense? Late game this is more prevalent - and the legendaries especially are often kinda rendered lovely because they are weighted so heavily by their unique mechanic. It very often feels like legendaries lose out on raw performance because 'the gimmick' is supposed to be good. Tediore especially falls down this hole as they have a lot of unique 'when thrown' effects that ultimately just end up being a roundabout way of reaching the same performace as a standard gun. Hyperion has a few useful archetypes and toys, but the weapon shield effect is always there often weighted heavily in the overall stats. Dahl will usually give up good stats for favour of scope types and fire modes which are minimal impact.

So far in my experience the best generic manufactuerers for each weapon type are probably something like:

Pistols: Jakobs revolvers / Elemental dahl autopistols
Shotguns: Jakobs / Elemental Tediore with good throw effects
Smg: Dahl / Hyperion for elemental focus
AR: Honestly dont use them enough to say? Probably Dahl though
Sniper: Jakobs and Dahl (burst makes them bosskillers)
Launcher: Torgue / Atlas MLRS are incredible

Alien barrels entirely throw this askew. Alien barrel vomit hose assault rifles are insane for example. Obviously there are outliers in every category but overall this is what I've had the most luck with.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Songbearer posted:

How are other character's responses to things other than FL4K? I love his dialogue with other characters and I honestly think his writing and voicework is some of the tightest in the game, but since he's The Guy I haven't heard many opinions on the other characters. I've just seen the first vault.

Playing alongside my friend's Zane and his lines are hilarious.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Ytlaya posted:

Is there some reason you don't rate Torgue pistols and shotguns high? They seem super strong for me, though it could be a psychological thing due to the impact of causing a bunch of explosions.

Both are good but they are very often trading upfront damage for an AOE effect. The shotties ate a nerf - they were brokenly good before. They're by no means a bad choice but for raw damage they're losing a bit to their gimmick as such.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Keep an eye out for Rubberized + Blight on your grenades.

I found a Rubberized Blight Timer? Elemental and this thing is delicious.

Blight makes lingering gas clouds
Rubberized + Timer leaves a timed grenade at -every- bounce
Elemental increases the damage

The result is a nade that bounces around 6 or so times, including from enemies, leaving behind timed sticky bombs that go off and fill the entire area with big stacking clouds of radioactive gas.

2 or 3 of them clear out an entire room.

I've been on the lookout for more ridiculous combinations.

Another simple one is anything that rolls + Nuke referably 2 or 3 times. Does what it says on the tin.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Bugsy posted:

I know its been said but I do love the new ragdolls especially with shotguns.

Started a new moze last night and did the Madame Crawly hunt and after shooting her a few times with a double barrel jakobs shottie she flew into a wall, than skated to the otherside of the area, then went straight up into the stratosphere and 45 seconds later hammerlock said congrats and gave me the reward.

Of the four times ive fought her, she's only died once. The three other times she's leapt into orbit and taken her sweet loot with.

She drops the Predatory Lending smg - an smg that uses money as ammo.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Arist posted:

I found iiiiiiiit

e: I also found a loving amazing legendary Jakobs pistol that's fully automatic

I don't know what they did to the CC in this game but it feels anemic vs the BL2 one.

Jakobs Flood is incredible though!
Very few of the Jakobs legendaries are a letdown.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

To those asking where to get classmods/artifacts:

After farming Traunt and Gravedude for probably hundreds of cycles - and this is in no way any less anecdotal - Gravedude tends to drop more class/relics, Traunt more guns. Gravedude also drops a unique artifact (called Grave of course) that increases your damage as your hp decreases but it's merely okay.

Mind you this is mayhem three with the hotfix reverted for maximum bling. I have still yet to find a lifesteal artifact with a good secondary effect. Punchgirl is sad.

Currently I am bashing my head on Borman Nates trying to get a level 50 Psycho Stabber. Yay for a miniboss that doesn't reliably spawn.
---
Re the above Try-Bolt - I've found three of them and they all sucked. Three round burst rocket gun with no outstanding effects. Maybe something leverages it but its trash for Amara.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 24, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I can't be the only one that would pay All Of The Money for a Typhon DLC and more so if he was a playable hunter.

What a schlep!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Borderlands: The pre-pre sequel

"What a schmendrick!"

Not sure what he'd have (or needs) for action skills past his whip?
And bonus damage for shooting first.

Pandora Handshake: Deal 20/40/60/80/100% bonus damage with the first shot against any target that has not damaged you.

Oh and scaling defense - the bigger the enemy the more elusive he is against them.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 24, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Drakes posted:

Quaser grenades on Moze are hilarious , probably 2nd to the pipe bomb when it comes to brokeness. Definitely a big rear end gap between them.

I have a grenade I'd love to see a Moze use.

Its a Rain Firestorm.
Firestorm isn't that great but one that vomits out 3 more gremades that then vomit out fire? It looks like a napalm strike.

Sadly it only works outdoors because vertical deployment is hard to program apparently (the subminitions spawn inside the ceiling instead of... You know... Just running a trace upward and stopping below it.)

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

My elemental Amara is this:

With this skill setup:

Swap to Electric *sometimes when dealing with certain enemies otherwise it's fire 24/7 baby.
Using this particular phasecast to proc the '25% more damage from all sources on ability hit'.

Using this classmod:

And artifact:

This is more focused towards murdering bosses/big single enemies quickly rather than groups of enemies. Erases everything, though. Trevonator and a good Hex grenade are more than enough to keep you permanently healed through any damage I have encountered *except for exploding yourself with Flakker/Ruby.

Primary guns are:
Flakker (basically cheating against big enemies/enclosed spaces)
Nighthawkin
Trevonator (Rad/Cryo)
Ruby's Revenge (Anointed 250% damage on skill use)
Kill-O-The-Wisp (Double projectile, annointed as above - more for fun but it can shred large areas and regen shields on Transformer)
Laser-Sploder (Corrosive - but honestly would love any flavour of this gun. One of the best in the game IMO)

Huh just realized I'm using the wrong classmod! :3
Guess I should uh.. use one that actually applies to Phasecast...

Guess I'm using this instead:

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 24, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

RatHat posted:

For Anointed Siren gear that specifies Phasecast, Phasegrasp, and Phaseslam does it only work on the basic ability or does it work on the other versions in the trees too? Like would anointed gear that works with Phaseslam work with Fracture and Downfall too?

It works on the sub-abilities too, thank god.

Also I think I'm a dealer now?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://gfycat.com/kindheartedsnappybluemorphobutterfly

https://giant.gfycat.com/CrazyAdmiredKentrosaurus.webm

https://giant.gfycat.com/GiantMellowEquestrian.webm
Almost blow myself up there - third shot ricochets off his icewall!

I will be sad when this gun gets nerfed.

Also yeah - those vladof laser-launchers are a (rare) treat to use.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 25, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

If any of you want toys for level 50 please find me ingame (same name)

I keep a pretty much permanent inventory of 30+ legendaries collecting dust and taking up wallspace I will happily part with for folks that want something new.

Also let me know if there's something you are looking for - might be guns I never took a liking to that I leave in the dirt.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Welp...

I pretty much HAVE to play as melee Amara once I find a good artifact (i.e. lifesteal + random element)...
To those unfamiliar: this gun does your melee-damage with each pellet. That means they can't crit, but it can benefit from artifacts and other effects that boost melee, including that insane Anointment.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 25, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Hammerstein posted:

And I always wondered what it's gimmick was and threw away the ones I found.

It's an odd one.
I tried using one earlier - without an elemental melee artifact - and it was ... kind of anemic?
I even had one that was 'doubled' pellet count - and still wasn't all that impressive.

Melee Amara really REALLY has to commit to the build, and that melee boosting artifact is pretty much mandatory (the one that adds a random element that changes every 5 seconds + the lifesteal ideally).
I have the classmod and the brawling (300% melee while down) shield ready for it, too.
Still looking for a Psycho Stabber to push the raw damage, as it has the highest melee bonus in the game that I've seen (120% - should have just kept my old one).

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Crowetron posted:

Farming Traunt for two days now, still no sign of the Hellwalker. However I did snag a level 50 Flakker so now killing Traunt takes about 2 seconds, so that's good.

Do you play in offline mode to undo the 'hotfix'?

Also - I have a spare hellwalker if you'd like it? Every drop is identical, there are no alternative rolls, (a little disappointing) with the same kinda-lame anointment (75% more elemental chance and effect - on a gun that has like 4% chance, wowee). That said it kicks butt and is super satisfying to use so I guess it's alright! :P

Current disappointing legendary gun is the Jericho - It's one of those cool anti-material 'rifle' launchers that Vladof makes, with a mortar secondary...
Except the primary is also a useless loving mortar. The gimmick being that it does a 'rain' style effect on target, lobbing 3 projectiles up and over... and into ceilings, etc, or just being too damned slow to hit anything in time, and also impossible to aim reliably.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 25, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Crowetron posted:

I'm on PS4, and I dunno if consoles got the hotfix. I'm used to having poo poo luck with drops in ARPGs so I just assumed the problem was me.

Aaah poo poo :( PC here.
I've found a handful of them already.

I don't know if legendaries are 'weighted' - but it certainly feels that way? Some are way more common than others. Hellwalker shows up once in a while. Flakker I've only ever seen two. Same with Laser-Sploder and some of the XXX's Call guns. Completely anecdotal but hopefully it holds some truth! You'll get one soon enough I imagine.

Today was a very lucky one for me.
Got a second Flakker, a fire Laser-Sploder, the anointed Face Puncher, and another Trevonator (I love this gun and so should you).

I've noticed that for some cruel and unusual reason the chests behind Traunt and Graveboy will sometimes drop level 49 items instead of 50s. Makes me sad.
Also: my highest gear score item to date is an anointed purple sniper rifle. No idea how they weight the score. Flakkers are some of the lowest scoring.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 25, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

DiggityDoink posted:

I'm still using a lvl 11 Laser-Sploder at 23 because I haven't found an AR that is as good.

Laser-Sploder is legit one of if not the best all around gun in the game.
I dream of just having one of each element.
2 down 3 to go!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

DX12 didn't make much of a change for me except causing crashes.
Entirely worth a try though - It's helped plenty of folks.
I'm running it on a 1080ti and it's buttery smooth regardless.
---
Anointment stuff:
I've only ever seen them on action skill Start (rarely) and End (most of them) *and special ones procced by skills like Digi Clone swap position

Effects I've seen:
Increased weapon/melee damage
Bonus elemental damage
Bonus handling/reloads
Increased elemental effect/chance
Regen a grenade (on grenades obviously)
20% skill cooldown (seen on shields)

Class specific triggers exist like 75% more damage after swapping places with clone
Extra charge of Rakk Attack
Shield regens on Barrier deploy* might be a classmod?

Probably others I'm missing. Anointments tend to drop for the class you play as it turns out.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 25, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Hammerstein posted:

Ok, Lyuda luxury problems, combined with shameful hoarding. Which to keep and which to sell?
GUNS

First two (for elements)
and the last one - for raw damage.

Rest seem to be strictly worse off.

For other sniper rifle chat: Woodblocker seems pretty trashy but it absolutely demolishes big fat enemies. Burst fire is usually a waste - but a good lightning/corrosive one will erase any mention of shields/armor on enemies.
Fire ones are good but not great against flesh (which is usually the biggest pool of HP to mulch through anyhow). Apparently they perform really well on Zane clones, too?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Time to find out if it kept my 'fixed' guardian ranks or the negative ones...

ChrisBTY posted:

Boss stuff.

Re Troy -
Jumping lets you avoid the vast majority of his stuff, especially the attack you mention. Mind you, circle strafing bunny hop works for the vast majority of things anyhow, but a well timed hop just before he hits the ground puts you right over the orbs.
What are you playing as? I find shields go down often too - but its the slow chipping at HP that can make or break things.
Do you have a way to regenerate? Something like a transfusion nade or Chupa's Organ can help you sustain.
Most of the classes have life regen/steal effects available, too. My elementalist Amara basically is at the stage of lifesteal-tanking everything through raw output for example. Trevonator is an excellent chunky gun for that purpose.
If you manage to grab a Transformer shield, you can self damage with something like a lightning launcher to refill shields - as a bonus, doing self damage also applies lifesteal (somehow) to Amara for example and heals her as well.
Very rare and maybe class locked but ive seen a few anointed lifesteal effects - maybe look for that from Earl?

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 26, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Thumbtacks posted:

Pet build is completely viable endgame, it just kills slower. Granted on higher difficulties you’ll probably need a specific class mod OR 3/3 head count so you can revive your pet every time it dies, but I’ve run through TVHM on Mayhem 3 as a pet build (starting two days ago) and I’m on Eden-6 now and it still works just fine. The only place I can see it being a real problem is Trials, but even then it’s probably manageable.

Does your pet actually do anything more than eat aggro and die?
Legit curious because I tried leveling as Pet flak and it felt like playing around the mechanic rather than alongside it.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Caidin posted:

Minor spoilers for a rare spawn. Holy gently caress Gearbox do not ask me to kill Sloth and Chunk.

Do it you gunslut!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

LostRook posted:

I would agree with you were it not for the combination of randomized stats and Annoited gear requiring an incredible gear roll to get optimal stuff.

It's this, combined with the sheer volume of absolutely poo poo tier legendaries that make up the drops - and the game definitely drops crappier guns more often than the good stuff.

That said - yeah they almost all have some fun aspect, and some are even usable, but for someone really trying to push their build, it isn't even an exaggeration to say that maybe one in 50 or 100 legendary drops is actually an upgrade and even that feels generous.

Landing that combination of gun, element, stats* and anointment all at once? And for classmods the secondary rolls filled with garbage like manufacturer specific handling bonuses? Good luck!

*some of the weapons can have significant variance in performace thanks to the components, double-projectiles being a big example, but getting a roll like +charge speed on a maliwan with no chargeup? Wow thanks!

I think they could take (yet another) page from Diablo's book and let us DO STUFF with the spare loot. Turn it into a resource we can use to reroll guns. Let us savage single components to put on other guns. Let us do anything other than add it to the hundreds of millions of useless credits or just leave scattered around.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

euphronius posted:

There has to be tons of poo poo. It’s the only way it works. If things were good all the time you’d just instantly advance to a stage when everything is poo poo. It’s just how it works

If theres tons of poo poo, then the drop rates ought to reflect that.

I'm entirely for favour of nerfing drop rates - IF legendaries weren't 80% garbage.

Can't have it both ways. Diablo learned this lesson and drowns you in loot - and gives you actual agency in pursuing upgrades. It feels a lot better to know that even the crap you collect is slowly bringing you towards something you actually want.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I just discovered a second layer of Get hosed to the Anointed enemies.

If you kill one that has Radioactive status - you know, the status that explodes and damages ENEMIES and doesn't do friendly fire at all?
Well, jokes on you - if you punch the crystallized Anointed that had Radiation on him, it explodes and kills you *If you're playing elemental Amara especially.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

orange juche posted:

Have you discovered the third layer which is simply the entirety of the "Hollow Point" skill in guardian ranks? It basically kills off melee builds entirely because the damage done from Hollow Point causes friendly fire, as it just treats it like a grenade/can explosion.

I have indeed! My lowbie Fl4k loves dying to their own gimmick nonstop - or blowing up their pet when I snipe from a distance..

Speaking of guardian ranks:
Played through from going through the mansion and killing Aurelia through to killing Pain and Terror - and got 1 guardian rank for it all.

Just cleared out the denizens of Athenas - about 10% of a guardian rank.

Whatever this patch did, the experience gain is absolutely awful now. Is it meant to decrease with ranks? If that is the case, yeah I guess I deserve to get none at all now that I'm passing 250. I was just under the impression it's a steady gain not an increasing gating XP.

Either way the drop rates in the patch are godawful.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The patch is only addressing a few fixes - and the Pipe Bomb. The hotfix which is still 'active' addresses the drop rates.

If you want to avoid the pipe bomb fix (you dirty rat!) then yeah, you can try run in offline mode entirely and not get the update.

That said - if you just want the GOOD LOOTS back (and I know you do) run in offline and it won't apply the hotfix as before. The hotfix changes the drop rates - and the patch changes everything else - and they're completely independent of one another as I learned.
It is possible to start in offline, get past the main menu where the hotfix is applied usually - and then go online to play with your friends with the boosted rates. Downside is if you have to do any menu-hopping (like getting rid of 30% reflect modifier) the more time you spend on the main menu, higher the chances it'll hotfix ya.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 27, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Now get yourself a lifesteal upon melee relic and a classmod that adds a point to your +100% melee damage perk and you'll be at god status.

I can actually give you both if you need them as I have spares. Let me know.

Happen to have any spares of lifesteal + something actually good? Best I've found is either basass victory rush or 18% hp on kill. I'd love the 'random element on melee' one to try.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Sab669 posted:

This thing is so good with Bottomless Moze :staredog:

Now start collecting the elemental family!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

My god this hotfix...
Did they really really mean to give Atlas 25% more damage because...

This thing 3 shots Traunt on the reg now.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

So the luck gods have smiled:
Once sincerely -

(Now of course I can thirst for one with better passives - Melee damage instead of that life regen would have been just about perfect!)
And once with malice -

Turns out, double barrel does nothing for Laser Sploder except make it eat double the ammo and do less damage! Interestingly, the model is noticeably chunkier! They accommodated the appearance but not the effect.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 28, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Oh wow that might be even better than mine with the sticky nades. That's bonus elemental damage so it's additional, right?

Indeed it is!

As an aside for those playing punchgirl - I have some spare Psycho Stabbers (I've been farming the poo poo out of Borman Nates hoping for a properly slam-anointed one)
I also have some generic Hellwalkers up for grabs (75% elemental anointment - never seen any other)

Solumin posted:

Just how many legendary Jakob pistols are there, anyway? I've found at least 6, maybe 7 already.

The Flood is hilarious and I want to give it to Bottomless Mags Moze.

Unforgiven - insane crit
Companion - crazy fire damage on crits
Maggie - masher with uh... can't remember the bonus?
Duc - sticky explosive style with high damage
Wagon Wheel - shoots an AOE of bullets on hit
Flood - crazy rapid fire

If I am forgetting any others? Can't recall off the top of my head. Maybe some boss-specific ones?

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 28, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

RatHat posted:

Are TK’s Wave and Tidal Wave exactly the same?

Tidal wave shoots double the projectiles that Wave does, and I think TKs can come in other elements?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

kickascii posted:

I'm at 50 and would like to start playing and browsing legendaries, but I don't want to kill the same boss over and over. What are my options here? Really sick of the story, I've played through twice.

Really wish there was a diablo style adventure mode, or greater rift analogy.

Are you playing on PC?

I have uh... a bit of a collection and am starting to suffer a lack of bank-space.

https://giant.gfycat.com/ShorttermSmugCopperbutterfly.webm

If you see something you'd like - I am not particularly attached to most of these, save the ones I'm saving for Punch Amara.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Fauxtool posted:

Recurring Hex is the closest grenade I can find to pipe bomb. Its a no skill boss clearing and mob clearing ez-win button even in Mayhem3.

What totally bullshit grenades have you found so far?

There's also a mirv-tastic version that just spits out 6 copies - so it's pretty much the same as recurring. So far, the Mirv-tastic one I've found has slightly better stats.

Really though, Hex is far and above one of the most incredible grenade types.
Also delicious is the Hunter-Seeker - I've found a 'mitosis' version that makes 3 little machinegun explodey drones.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Fauxtool posted:

as far as i can tell recurring is the best prefix for Hex.
Mitosis makes it split enroute into to 2. Mirv splits into 3 after impact and recurring has both effects for 6 homing nades.
It being such a long lingering effect makes it extremely good for any build with lifesteal

Mirv-Tastic is an upgrade on Mirv. I've only ever seen it twice - but it's a 6 grenade split rather than 3, so effectively the same thing as Recurring.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Do you have a spare Ruby's Wrath in there?

I sure do!
I've been collecting them because they are secretly the best launcher in the game.

Anyone that wants stuff can poke me on Epic thing or PM me here (same name)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Thumbtacks posted:

If your save file is read only, how can you actually farm it? Wouldn’t it not save your progress?

Probably something like putting it in your bank or mailing stuff to an alt to 'save' it.