Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

The Pre-Sequel has the worst classes as well. I didn't buy the DLC ones but the main ones are dire.

Idk I'd say the classes, guns, and equipment are really good in TPS.

The problem is the environments, maps, enemies, encounters, and pacing are all mediocre.

And the story/jokes are just awkward and lame.

I think if you could play through the BL2 storyline with the classes and gear from TPS it would be loads of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

Slag was a mistake and UVHM making it absolutely required was an even bigger mistake that ultimately makes me really dislike Slag for not having cool effects like the other elements.

I really think that scaling hp and damage is a lame way to go about upping the difficulty in a fps. There's nothing enjoyable about enemies being bullet sponges *and* only being able to peek them for 2 seconds before your health is gone.

I actually think it would have been more fun if they scaled the difficulty the way the original DooM did. Instead of adding more hp to enemies, just add more enemies and have more of those enemies be elites instead of grunts.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Rinkles posted:

don't think that would work well with bl2's hitscan enemies. did doom really not scale enemy hp with difficulty?

Not in the original no, they just added more or they added stronger enemies, like swapping an imp out for a hell knight or a cacodemon.

Except for nightmare difficulty, where they made enemies move and attack faster, as well as respawn.

Are bl2s enemies hitscan though? I thought the bullets were at least just really fast projectiles.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Mikedawson posted:

I'm sorry. I got in over my head over a worthless argument. I'll try to do better.

Complaining about complainers is always a waste of everyone's time.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I hope they bring cryo back, that was one of the things TPS did right.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So it's corrosive slag then.

It's basically corrosive from bl1

Dyz fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 17, 2019

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Co-signed. If New Game+ isn't an actual + to enemy tactics/AI/density (or actual new content) and not just cranking up their HP, I usually won't bother.

Add more elite/badass enemies to encounters too, so you're facing tougher enemies but not bullet sponges.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

abaddonis posted:

4. This is the biggest one for me: why are there so few fast travel spots? I left Katagawa Ball to go pick up some things, explore, take a break, stop losing money, etc... I have to fight through the entire goddamned level just to go fight him again.

I noticed that and the fact that a few of the mid game areas like Athenas only have 1 set of vending machines as well, usually right next to the fast travel.

Which was really annoying because I liked to pick up greens to sell so I could buy more SDU upgrades as I progressed.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I like the feel and sound of shotguns, but I think the damage needs to be upped by like 30% or more.

I feel the same way about snipers. Maybe characters other than Amara make them work better, but I remember being able to one shot standard goons with any Jakobs sniper in BL2 during the normal difficulty, without needing crit bonuses. In this game they seem to leave them with just a sliver of hp left.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 23, 2019

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I picked up this Tediore shotgun in Killavolt’s level that throws down a turret when you reload. When an enemy gets near, it runs and jumps toward them, exploding. Easily my favorite gun in the game so far.

Have you gotten off of Promethea yet?

If not, make sure you do all the side quests on the next planet.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I only seem to have fps issues in Sanctuary, where the fps jumps up and down by about 20.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Gravy Jones posted:

e: A tangential question for anyone who can remember. A lot of people seem to recognise Handsome Jack as a great video game villain now, but I seem to recall that at the time, when BL2 was released most people were pretty negative on him as a character and it's only more recently that he's become more popular. Am I misremembering? It's so long ago!

Funny, I remember everyone thinking he was funny and great villain.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Dalaram posted:

After playing 4 borderlands games, I just realized something - there are no Jacob SMG’s, or Tediore sniper rifles, are there? And there any other corps that don’t make a type of gun?

There are usually 2 gun types each manufacturer doesnt make, except Bandit/COV. Off the top of my head:

-Jakobs doesnt make smgs or rocket launchers
-Dahl doesnt make rocket launchers or shotguns
-Tediore doesnt make ARs or snipers
-Torgue doesn't make smgs or snipers
-Vladof doesn't make shotguns or smgs (I think they don't make rocket launchers anymore)
-Bandit/COV doesn't make snipers
-Hyperion doesnt make ARs or rocket launchers (I cant remember if this changed in 3)
-Maliwan doesn't make ARs and used to not make shotguns and make rocket launchers, but now they make shotguns but not rocket launchers

I think this is a little different in BL1 but I haven't played that in a while.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 27, 2019

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I agree about charging. gently caress that poo poo.

I'd take charging if the bullet speed wasn't so slow or they had bigger magazines. The combination of these kinda makes them perform badly.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

Conversely, Moze and FL4K are very, very dull. Roland with no story dialogue felt more interesting in BL1 than moze does from the first few hours I've played with her.

Let me tell you about my girl Amara...

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Rinkles posted:

uh... when i said the maggie got the jakobs nerf yesterday, I was going off memory. it actually got a slightly bigger nerf

[offline vs hotfix]

this can't be right, right?

Top one has -58% damage on the card, bottom one has -82%, unless youre saying the nerf to jakobs damage also had a stealth nerf to the Maggie specifically

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

abaddonis posted:

My favorite legendaries have been the Pherbert Shotty, One Pump Chump, and the Night Hawkin so far. Waiting to get a Lyuda and a decent AR

You get a lyuda after finishing all of zeros challenges.

You also get 4 legendaries at the end of the story.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

That makes sense I guess, but I'm surprised. Gaige and the Doppelganger Jack were the best vault hunters in their games.

That's a weird way to spell Krieg and Aurelia

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

hamsystem posted:

I hope they bring back oz kits in the first DLC.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Aurelia still has the best sniping skill tree in any BL game.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

nominal posted:

What got me with the Pre-Sequel was just the general jank all around. It's one of those things I can't really put my finger on precisely... I guess it just didn't seem to "flow" smoothly? Not like the plot, just pretty much the gameplay as a whole. I remember getting stuck on a LOT of geometry in that game.

It's got a lot of cool skills and guns but then you get put in giant empty environments and only seem to fight a handful enemies at a time.

Its UVHM had better scaling than bl2s though.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Still plenty seems odd though, like the absence of the other BL2 hunters and Athena, and how Aurelia left the raiders custody, and the Watcher not being present or mentioned. Can all be resolved but weird it didn't come up. Also TPS indicated Axton and Gaige left Pandora to find other vaults, but Commander Lilith (confusingly set after TPS epilogue) indicated they didn't really do anything)

And as good as Dragon Keep was, Maya indicated they were going to take down Helios, and they just didn't.

Isnt the wreckage of helios in the background of the 1st bl3 map?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

DaveKap posted:

I did find it tone-deaf and hilariously stupid that they were publicly saying "We know everyone hated getting to level 5 before unlocking their character power so now you can use it right off the bat!" and then thought it would be OK to lock the majority of your equipment slots and only slowly dole it out over the course of campaign milestones.

Not to mention the hours of unskippable cutscene. My favorite is the ingame dialogues where a character talks for 5 minutes, so I go do something at a vending machine or run into the next area, only to find out I have to go back and talk to that character again after they finish their speech in order to advance the plot.

That or 3+ dialog triggers all happening with 10 meters of each other. I would rather listen to my typhon log than you lilith.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
One good thing about the writing in this game, the new New-U lines are pretty great.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Is the Halloween stuff fun/good? Haven't been in the mood for BL3 in a while, but I don't want to miss out.

It's pretty fun but if you get tired of it there's no way to turn off the ghosts other than offline mode.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Unless you're going for a specific build there are some purple weapons that are still pretty good. The torgue kielbasa(?) and jakobs coach shotguns can roll some crazy stats, and alien barrels arent to bad either.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Agent355 posted:

Alot of fl4k's artifacts and stuff refer to 'hunt skills', what exactly are they referring to?

E: also what are some of the better grenades to keep an eye out for? I feel like I haven't had a grenade worth using since I found the legendary halloween grenade at level 10.

There will be text at the beginning of the skill explanation that says whether it's a hunt skill. There are hunt skills in every tree and some of them are also kill skills.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

What is the best Amara action skill purely from a damage standpoint? Right now I'm using the phase grasp where the fists come up and beat on anything in the area but I haven't really explored the other two skills.

Just from the skill itself or from augments or secondary damage? Because ties that bind basically lights up everything in a small area around the target, but the ramping damage version of phase cast probably has the highest pure action skill damage potential.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I feel like the new class mod droprates in the dlc are tied to which character you choose. I've done it as Zane and Amara and both of them had at least half a dozen different versions of their class mods drop for them.

E: both got a 25% weapon damage version :getin:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

The Shame Boy posted:

They could divided up the Going Rogue quest into like 2 or 3 separate ones with how long it goes on for.

They could've ditched the gun you use in it entirely.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

I have foolishly been avoiding the SNTNL skill tree up until now on my first playthrough with Zane.

Jesus Christ it's OP and fun to play.

Am I missing something or will many good grenade mods cause your SNTNL to kill you if you have the "SNTNL occasionally throws grenade" skill?

There's a bunch of incredible room-clearing grenade mods I'd like to use, but can't do so without killing myself on the regular.

Another question, what is generally most recommended for the side skills for SNTNL? I'm currently using the radiation one and the static field. The one that can reset SNTNL's duration sounds like it could be incredible, but I like to fire and forget, so rarely make use of it.

The best non legendary/red text grenades are usually bouncing/splitting trackers since the grenades come out and random and aren't really aimed. Bouncing makes the grenade hit 3 times, splitting gives you 2 grenades. Bullet spray grenades and elemental field(?) ones are also good.

For the drone skills, the radiation one never comes off for me. The other one is usually anything but the airstrike. The missiles from it have a tendency to spiral around your target so you usually have to use it way earlier than you think if you want to reset the drone. Plus there is a skill in the green tree which resets your action skill if you freeze an enemy while at full health and shields, and that same tree gives you a bubble shield that prevents all damage, which makes it much better for resetting the drone.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Sex Hobbit posted:

Fl4k and Amara have gotten nerfed the most; the main issue with Moze is updates breaking her skills though I think that's all been fixed. I think they did... something that broke a grenade-focused build. That was a while ago though.

Her action skill also doesnt scale well in terms of damage and her anointments are kinda meh.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Post nerf, I think if you're going to use the ion cannon you'll want one with an expanded mag alongside a mag relic, otherwise you're getting 2 shots before a long reload. 2x (annexed) was always preferable but now it's a must because it's only one more ammo per shot (7 instead of 6) which in most cases will mean the same number of shots per mag. And you'll need a source of ammo regen. You can also do the absorb shield trick with the transformer for a few more shots if your cannon is shock (shoot at your legs and hope the missiles are absorbed---this obviously only works offensively at melee range).

Not really seeing more legendaries this event, but more anointments for sure.

I wonder if it would be faster to swap to the omniloader and reload.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I wanna see Axton and/or Salvador in the next DLC

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

I just want anyone other than the lame rear end cosplayers that make up the main cast. Even the pizza guy is a hundred times better than those dorks.

What, you don't like Lilith constantly calling you "killer" and "badass" like some sort of lame Agent K?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

I can't think of any parts of BL3 that I felt was just flat out boring, BL2 started with the horrible Southern Shelf region and it felt like I was there forever, it drags a bit when you reach Nekrotafayo but you meet Typhon there so its worth it.

I wont say any part of bl3 is nearly as bad as bl2 but I felt like Eden 6 dragged on a bit too long. I feel like they should have created half the maps for Eden 6 on Athena(?, the Maya planet) and it would have felt a little better. BL3s campaign is also longer but I don't think that's a bad thing since having to replay BL2s story for level 50 was worse.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

How the gently caress do they keep managing to gently caress up the UI?

Every goddamn time I launch the game the UI is hosed up in a completely new and amazing way.

Remember, these are the people who haven't been able to make the player's inventory work smoothly for the past decade.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

turd in my singlet posted:

lit

does it run offline? once everything really starts to shut down we'll see just how much the internet infrastructure can take

It does but I think certain things theyve changed for balance update when the game connects to the internet, so if you have no connection you will pretty much be playing the release version of the game. Youll see it load the changes on the title menu screen, there will be a pause and "hotfixes applied" will appear in the background.

But most of what they changed doesnt really change the core of the game. In fact people used to play offline because the droprates were way better on release.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Katt posted:

They actually named a legendary grenade "Storm Front"

Wonder if it does 1488 damage.

I think it was in BL2 as well, which came out before all this Nazi BS became popular.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

gee I wonder why

in a game from Randy loving Pitchford

drat, you've blown the Borderlands Nazi propaganda conspiracy wide open.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Kaysette posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Randy is a Proud Boy.

I wouldn't doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Having any opinion whatsoever on Axton is shocking enough. The guy has pretty much literally no personality to him.

He *really* likes his turret.

Also Im pretty sure Roland had barely any personality in BL1.