Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lilith is the worst, remove Lilith, but keep the rest thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Borderlands 3: You Finally Get To Shoot Lilith

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will shoot at Lilith as many characters in the videogame Borderlands 3

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Judge Tesla posted:

I hope you all realize Davis Pickle will be back too.

What did we do to deserve this

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It has been half a decade and I'm still really annoyed that they did Tannis so dirty in Borderlands 2. Those logs detailing her arrival on Pandora in the first game set the tone of the game world SO much better than nearly anything else in the whole thing, and then Borderlands 2 is like "but what if instead of tragic she was just zany and wacky"

edit: I really like the writing in all the Borderlands games but the ever-continuing shift toward saturday morning cartoon humor was really not the direction I wanted the series to go. I laugh at the Butt Stallion jokes, because they are funny, but it ain't what I imagined Borderlands would become after really enjoying the first game's tone.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 29, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Judge Tesla posted:

I think the character who got the real short end of the stick was Helena Pierce, she was one of the primary questgivers in the New Haven and later parts of Borderlands 1, but Handsome Jack blows her head off between games and she's never mentioned again after Hammerlock's quest at the very start of BL2.

I WAS REAL MAD ABOUT THIS

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Borderlands 2 just seemed to have this weird obsession with going "remember that character from the first game? you're the only one who does, out with the old in with the new biiiiiiiiiiiitch" and it made me sad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Megazver posted:

BL1 writing and characters were... not good. BL2 was infinitely more engaging and while they overdid it in lol memes department, even that worked better than the first game for the most part.

I do hope they try to emulate Tales for tone.

Personally I really liked the progression of Mad Max wasteland yokels -> military ordinance bugstompers trying to force their way to order and society. Going from folks like TK Baha telling you to punch Skags to death and Scooter threatening to bury you six feet under (while also letting you drive his cars) to fighting against a real military force trying to wipe out you AND the bandits was fun. But I do agree that Tales found what is imo a good middle ground and I hope we see more of that kind of thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For those of you having connectivity issues, this may explain things:

What is it even uploading?

Source tweets:

https://twitter.com/Flare2V/status/1172289238886273025?s=20

https://twitter.com/Flare2V/status/1172293839240843264?s=20

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, with some added context, the guy in those tweets is complaining that he cannot stream the game because this 2Mb/s upload is consuming all of his leftover bandwidth- Thus, he can't stream and play at the same time. If you're just playing the game and NOT trying to make sweet internet fame bux, it's probably not causing you any problems. Apparently blocking it in the firewall gets rid of the upload and lets you play it in offline mode, but not multiplayer obviously.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The most common streaming bitrate is 4-6 Mb/s, anything under that and your stream will probably be hella blurry. You need around 15-20 Mbps internet speed at least to have enough overhead for streaming at the standard resolution/bitrate.

edit: Looks like the guy in those tweets specifically streams at 720p/30 and it is pretty blurry so his internet is probably just not very fast. It's not the game's fault but that 2Mb/s is still pretty high.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 13, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Game runs like a dream for me, 120 fps at 1440p on highest settings. Only complaint so far is that the FOV at 90 doesn't seem to actually be 90, it looks more like 80. Cranking it up to 100 made it feel more normal though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh man, Maliwan shotguns whip rear end. Thank you based Maliwan.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Amara's crew quarters is very chill and I'd like to hang out there

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Something seems wrong with shotguns in a general sense. It appears to me that they don't fire at the middle of the crosshair? I've had much more luck with aiming at people via the bottom right corner of the crosshair because it seems like the bullets come out of your gun TOWARD the crosshair but don't actually intersect it until they reach a pretty far distance.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Okay, after some testing, it seems that shotguns TRY to fire at the crosshair but if you're extremely close to the target they don't quite make it and end up to the right of it. You can test this yourself by just walking up to a wall with a shotgun and looking at the bullet tracers, they don't end up making it to the center. If you're using the sights it goes straight up the middle as usual. I don't think this is an issue for the other weapon types but I can't really tell.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

black.lion posted:

How and when will this Oni head that I got by VIP points be delivered to me in-game? I don't have any mail, does it take a few hours or...?

Also is there any fix yet for the scope lag on pc?

Turn texture streaming up to 'Ultra', that seems to fix it. If it's already at 'Ultra', then uhh welp

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

gently caress it - not even halfway done downloading after 10 hours. Requesting refund. Epic Store is not ready for prime time.

The game downloaded faster than it would have on Steam for me lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
DX12 is awesome for me so far. I went from ~90 fps at all times on DX11 to like ~160 on DX12. It's an insane difference, but obviously DX12 is the wild wild west of 3D graphics frameworks so your mileage will vary heavily.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, steam also has an annoying problem with keeping Cloud saves one save behind what they actually should be. I have never trusted Cloud saves and I never will.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I ran into my first... bug? I think it's a bug but I may just not be understanding how it works. So I ask, how does fast traveling to your car work? It's got a fast travel button on the map but when I hold it I don't get taken to the car, nothing happens.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The people that get mad that your skag pees in borderlands 3 are the same people who clap and laugh when the horse poops in mgs 5

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Twibbit posted:

a weird quirk I noticed with dx12 mode, framerate cap doesn't seem to actually work in this mode which is a shame since I could easily lock to 60 with a mix of high+ultra settings in this mode.

Works fine for me, only problem is I have to toggle it every time I launch the game. I set it to 'unlimited' on first launch and that seems to have been a mistake because now it 'remembers' I set it to that every time I play :downs:

Bust Rodd posted:

How do you know it runs better if you haven't been able to turn it off yet?

Anyone else too poor to buy this so youre gonna just redbox for a day or two to get in on the hype? Just me?

It improved the framerate in the first and second game, not hugely but enough to matter to people on low spec, so it stands to reason it'd also help in 3.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rinkles posted:

Are the manufacturer email rewards tied to account or character? Please be the latter.

Your account, but it seems from my experience only the badass rank rewards are given once, ingame rewards like the Hammerlock challenge rewards are given every time per character.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They aren't there for me either but this site works just as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
ZANE FLYNT as HIMSELVES

edit: Or Fl4k if you prefer running around with vicious pets to handsome bastards

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Darth Walrus posted:

Got any favourite character moments from the PCs so far? I like how incredibly stoked Zane is about going on a rescue mission into a VR torture sim.

Zane's many, many lines for summoning the clone are all great.

"Somebody stop that man, he's dangerous!" "Get that incredibly attractive bastard!" and so on and so on

edit: I also like how all of the player characters sympathize with claptrap losing his antenna, but especially Fl4k.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As a live streamer I feel personally attacked by the existence of the calypso twins and I cannot wait to shoot them many times in the face. It's like a dark mirror is being held up to me every time either one of them says anything, it's awesome and I love it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

When they said "Let's Flays" I felt my soul die a little, it's so good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

watho posted:

The problem is that the cutscenes are pre-rendered so having the vault hunters there is kinda not doable unless they make one for every combination of vault hunters. I agree that it would be nicer if they were there but it’s something I can overlook, it’s never as bad as the Roland scene in 2 since I can imagine them being in the vault or something while it’s happening

They actually don't seem to be. Claptrap wears the antenna you give him and the textures have to load in and stuff. Also if your character is in the background of a cutscene they show up as a floating gun lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Vaughn was one of the best characters in Tales from the Borderlands and continues to be one of the best characters in 3 so I'm gonna need 100 apology push-ups from anyone who says he sucks

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

watho posted:

It’s pretty obvious what audience they go for when they put rick and morty, and more than one reference to elon musk in the game

I know right, the absolute gall to make a joke about a nerd culture phenomenon that is so popular that its major network started producing it in-house instead of something cool like the same animes from the 80s goons have deemed acceptable and nothing else :geno:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"this game with pop culture references is referencing the wrong pop culture" is peak out-of-touch gamer opinions

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In case nobody has mentioned this yet, I was incorrect when I said that challenge kill email rewards are profile-wide. They are not, they're also per-character just like the bounty hunt rewards are. Sorry, I guess I just hadn't gotten the same challenge reward mail twice when I said that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, it's a little thing, but I like how they seem to have finally found a balance with claptrap's more annoying character traits. Like for example, when lillith asks him about Promethea, he actually gives a good answer instead of making a goofy joke and having someone else come in with the real info a la BL2. The game is full of small attempts to walk back the more monkey cheese aspects of series' writing and I really appreciate it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Well how about that, Claptrap was being entirely truthful!

edit: I like that it's a tediore grenade mod. Of course it explodes when you throw it, that's their whole brand! :haw:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I won this thing from the eridium slot machine!

And it fuckin rules!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The gribbly barrel makes the gun crazy accurate and reduces how much your crosshair moves when you fire rapidly. Speaking of which, this thing is a crank gatling gun! Doesn't do much damage per shot but boy are there a lot of shots and they send bullets ricocheting everywhere, it's a great Moze weapon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr Scumbag posted:

Started a new Zane character today and the game is precisely as irritating as I thought it would be. So far I’ve spent more time loving around on my phone waiting for NPC’s to finish monologueing to me so I’m allowed to proceed than I have actually shooting things.

How the gently caress Gearbox still hasn’t figured out that this is infuriating is beyond me.

I think it will be a while before I roll a third character because of this.

I think this issue would be greatly minimized if the game gave you quest objective markers first, then the characters started talking, instead of the other way around. Sometimes they do it in that order and sometimes they don't and I get why (because they don't want the player walking there automatically and interrupting the dialogue pacing) but man I wish they just didn't care and would let the player do what they want.

Caidin posted:

So I'm at Konrad’s Hold and it feels a little like the plot wants me to ignore that the twins can essentially kidnap anyone they want anywhere at anytime, on top of expecting me not to wonder why Tyreen wasn't just phasing psychos onto Sanctuary whenever she felt like it.

Yeah I'm most of the way through the game now and this is starting to annoy me as well. The calypso twins feel like they're only dangerous as villains because they can magically teleport into a cutscene, merc someone, and then leave while your character is busy not existing or trapped behind a locked door. Any time Maya, Lilith, etc has gotten the upper hand for 5 seconds the twins are just completely chumped. It's really my only complaint about the story structure.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mailer posted:

Do not play Borderlands for the plot. I mean videogames in general suffer from the same dumb contrivances that other forms of media do, but especially don't play Borderlands for the plot.

The plot is good. I said this on like page 1 of the thread but I really like the ragtag-gang-takes-on-impossible-odds feeling the Borderlands games channel, and I think it's channeled well. :shrug:

Tei posted:

I play RPGs tor the story.

Do we know what trigger slots being unlocked? Is story or level?

Seems to be story. Specifically (early quest name spoilers):

Weapon slot 2: Unlocked at the start
Weapon slot 3: Taking Flight
Class Mod slot: Hostile Takeover
Weapon Slot 4: Beneath the Meridian
Artifact slot: Cold as the Grave

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 19, 2019