Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

^burtle posted:

What is going to be the best use of these free golden keys? Pop it em on my highest level hero? Just use them whenever I need to upgrade whoever I'm leveling at the moment?

use them whenever your gear feels anemic. they're basically useless on a character that is farming out best-in-slot gear because they're capped at purple/e-tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The community balance patch also ups drop rates on pretty much everything.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Shame it is busted due to the recent uhd pack. They are working on it or so they say though

The mod manager is busted. You can still install it manually.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Would I need to start a new character if I use it?

In general, no, although backing up your characters is always a good idea.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Hot take: Borderlands 2’s writing is worse than 1’s for a lot of reasons, but one of the biggest is that it went from “corporations all use enslaved prisoners to carry out dirty work and will abandon them to long, torturous deaths the second they’re unprofitable” to “actually it’s just this one CEO that’s a dick, kill him and capitalism will be fine again.”

on the other hand, the more i learn about randy pitchford, the villain who is an overbearing dick boss who keeps bothering you with dumb bullshit and jokes that don't land gets funnier and funnier

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The Epic Game Store isn't spyware.

If you think it sucks because of worse performance or features or business practices, that's fair. But the spyware rumor is bullshit started by someone who doesn't know anything about how software works.

Donovan Trip posted:

How old is Tina now? Just 18?

Now I'm remembering how they had to retcon Gaige's age because otherwise Tannis comes off as a pedophile.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

How long does it take for a Hellborn Krieg to really get going?

You need a Flame of the Firehawk and a Moxxi weapon to really make it work without dying all the time. Even then, Hellborn is always secondary to Bloodlust in a Gun Krieg build because Bloodbath and Bloodsplosion are always going to be the main source of your damage.

Around the time I'm finishing TVHM, once I had a FOTF, Rubi/Grog, and level-appropriate weapon of each element (except fire) I'd switch to something like this, eventually aiming for this build at 61.

Hellborn is always a supplementary tree because it's all survivability and nearly zero damage.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

What's this one about?

Arcsquad12 posted:

One of Tannis's lines is how she has an open offer to share her bunk with the vault hunters. Comes off creepy when Gaige is 16 and Tannis is a maniac.

That. There's a bunch of dialogue that doesn't check what character you're playing, so a lot of people call Maya and Gaige dudes, too.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 14, 2019

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tei posted:

Can DLC's status be resetted so you do again? I did a few DLC's online, withouth knowing what I was doing.

They're reset when you up the difficulty or reset a UVHM playthrough in BL2 or BLPS. I don't remember how it works in the first game.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mikedawson posted:

As I've been getting into Borderlands 1, I've got to say Borderlands 1 Tannis is a lot more interesting and less obnoxious than Borderlands 2 Tannis.

This is just Borderlands versus Borderlands 2 in general as far as I'm concerned.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm actually really kind of surprised Ashly Burch is coming back, because, uh... isn't Anthony Burch her brother? And extremely persona non grata with the internet (and therefore Gearbox) for being a self-owning dweeb with the gall to have center-left politics and talk about it?

Anthony Burch's troubles aside, i guess Ashly Burch coming back means that they didn't shoot down Troy Baker because of union issues, since she's a union member now too.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Playing through them chronologically, first time playing TPS.

It's not bad but there's definitely something off about it. Everything is basically the same, but it somehow has lost the Borderlands vibe, and I don't think it has to do with the Oxygen / jumping stuff.

I've been replaying Pre-Sequel and I think it's the same-y environments combined with the tedious platforming. For better or worse, there isn't very much like Borderlands 2's environmental aesthetic, while spaceship corridors and sterile ice/fire spacescapes feel very tired.

Also, even the rudimentary crafting means a lot more time loving around with inventory, while in BL and BL2 everything you didn't want just went into the trash or got left to rot. The grinder helps with the hosed drop rates BLPS inherited from BL2, but it probably would have been better to ditch the grinder and just unfuck the drop rates.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Man, people in BL games say "The world is a better place now that you've purged those repulsive scraps of humanity!" a lot. It's pretty uncomfortable in retrospect. (Doubly so if you pay attention to the backstory where all the psychos and raiders are former prisoner-slaves for the mining corporations.)

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't like how Athena's main strength comes from Maelstrom, it feels gimmicky to me.

It feels like it's a half-finished idea, like at some point the idea was to charge up the shield for benefits even when it wasn't out. A lot of BLPS's janky ideas feel that way, like they could've used another pass.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Donovan Trip posted:

I've thought about that as well, bl came at the right time before games were dipped in a cauldron of micro transactions. So many games would have been different if new today; imagine The Sims coming out now

The Sims was always pushing the envelope for how aggressively you can monetize an AAA game. It had seven expansions back at a time when expansions were mainly sold on store shelves.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

TPS is like if you had a kid who was ginger.

You have to love it because it's part of your family - but you know deep down there's no soul there.

i suppose this is the correct thread for recycling unfunny memes from 2009

Pre-Sequel benefits a lot from a better reward structure and better class design, and it helps to have significantly much less soapy melodrama with the cast of the first BL game. It makes me wish I had those improvements in BL2. Unfortunately, BLPS is just stuffed with boring enemies in boring environments that are a pain to navigate, so any personality it has is spread thin over lots of laboriously crossing frozen wastelands and moon bases full of harmlessly underlevel enemies. I'm not sure the backtracking is to pad the game out or just because they didn't ever get a chance to fix it, though.

Elephant Ambush posted:

It was also the fastest I ever killed The Destroyer. The Hive Mind rocket launcher took it down in about 15-20 seconds and it was hilarious. It barely did any damage to me.

I still don't know what the Destroyer's attacks are even supposed to do.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 15, 2019

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Unrelated question: is it confirmed anywhere that Steele was a Siren?

for what it's worth, the borderlands wiki says pitchford said she was, plus some licensed comic also mentioned it.

it's the sort of thing that will actually come up in dialogue if it's ever relevant, or just get quietly retconned if it gets in the way of something more interesting. it's not like they've felt bad about retcons in the past!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
BLPS was made relatively cheaply on an abbreviated dev cycle. I don't know how optimistic I am about BL3, but that doesn't seem to be the case there.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Pre-Sequel was made by the one developer who has ever managed to make a worse Bioshock than Ken Levine.

2K Australia, under various names, worked on all three Bioshock games, and weren't the primary developers of any of them.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is that community balance patch still out for BL2 or does it need to be updated because of the 4K patch? I want to play on higher difficulties without the bullet sponge enemies and broken economy.

Seriously it is frustrating going to Pre Sequel and BL2 after seeing how well the vending machines were set up in BL1. You could actually buy good weapons from a machine that could carry you for a few levels, while you pretty much only get trash in BL2 and TPS.

The community patches work but you have to install them manually because the 4K patches broke the mod managers.

Also, Presequel vending machines are as good or better than the ones in the first BL. You can get legendaries or red-text uniques (which are much better than their blue rarity would imply) all the time. Fair point about BL2.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 15, 2019

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

Really? My Aurelia is about level 50 and she basically rules since level 15. She was pretty good the whole time because I chose the Frost tree first. I found her about as simple as Jack in this regard, consistently strong more or less the whole time. CL4P-TP on the other hand :sigh:

Boomtrap is fairly easy leveling, as long as you take Maniacal Laughter first. All you need is a frost weapon, a multi barrel and/or Torgue shotgun (ideally a Hulk, Ravager, or Flakker if you're super lucky), and a Tediore SMG/laser. Two Scoops is huge for this build; it will last you until you get another Two Scoops in TVHM. It's kinda bad at bosses but a Tediore throwing weapon should get you past them.

Start with something like this, then fill in Start With A Bang, then go up the middle tree. The randomness tree sucks while leveling anyway.

I felt like Claptrap's huge innate healing made him a lot more durable while leveling than even ostensibly tanky characters like Wilhelm or Athena. He falls off hard later on because of the anti-synergy between his left and right trees and the fact that Vaulthunter.exe gets worse the more talents you have, but he's fine in the meantime.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

You can only roll Gun Wizard and Pirate Ship so many times when you need it before you roll Torgue Fiesta when your teammates are rocking a longbow 0 fuse bonus package while aiming at the ground, or Rubber Ducky/Sal Gunzerking when people are down.

I don't play co-op at all ever, so take my comments with that grain of salt.

I look at vh.exe as a large self-heal that may or may not do some questionably useful bullshit on the side. As long as you don't spec into Clap-In-The-Box, the only really detrimental package while solo is Meat Unicycle. (Why can't he throw his axe like Krieg?) Combine that with Claptrap's large bonuses to the kinds of guns you already wanted to use while leveling anyway, and he's fine.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AkumaHokoru posted:

I really wish they cared about this. this is the community they wanna throw a wet turd at for some "publisher money"

i think they expect that community to transfer over to another launcher on the same computer

unrelated to this, does anthony burch know what a sternum is

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BinaryDoubts posted:

waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, gripped by a terror that they will make tiny tina say "yeet" in b3

she calls moxxi kawaii in presequel, you know it's going to happen

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

They are gonna do the thing Kingdom Hearts 3 did and have a fake instagram/twitter feed thing going on in the loading screens and all the jokes will be there instead of said by voiced actors.

you can see lilith's fake social media account if you check the monitors in the room where she first appears in BL2

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
haha it's racism but in space

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

People complain about this a lot but even beyond Randy having nothing to do with it, 1) Game of the Year doesn't actually mean anything concrete so technically they could slap a wet turd in every copy instead of a disc and still call it that, 2) I'm pretty sure the bulk of the missing DLC literally did not exist when the GOTY edition was released, and 3) most if not all of the missing DLCs are totally inconsequential. I guess if you hate yourself the second level cap increase is important but aside from that it's just the Headhunter maps and a pile of cosmetics.

The main reason the GOTY sucked was because it was a much worse value than the Handsome Collection, but the Handsome Collection wasn't released on PC until years after the console version.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

orcane posted:

While I agree it's silly they waited to repackage the Handsome Collection for PC for another 2+ years after the console release, keep in mind the Handsome Collection came out 1.5 years after the original GotY bundle as a re-release for new consoles in the first place. By that time the PC version had tons of sales already and you could frequently buy the whole packages in the form of "franchise bundles" on Steam.

in addition to what Rinkles said about the relative value, the handsome collection is still ~$60 on steam despite the console version being relegated to bargain bins. i think the collection going on sale for the first time on steam was a part of this new steam resurgence, along with the BL3 announcement.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 17, 2019

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

Buddy and I went through the last 2-3 story missions for TVHM in TPS. The amount of enemies seems to be 2x-3x what was there in normal and we kept running out of ammo and spamming pirate ships. But the studio was so proud of their cold element addition that the crappy cold legendary laser I picked up in the penultimate level loving steamrolled to the end of the game. Not much resistance to be had when everything freezes solid (including the final mid-boss) or takes disgusting amounts of damage from cold (final boss' final form).

Maliwan beam lasers are ridiculously overpowered in general.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Survivability is just a mess in general in BL2. BLPS is a little better but you're still facing a lot of situations where you're dead before you can react, as you go up TVHM/UVHM.

I think once every boss you design triggers the mechanic to prevent one-shot death, you need to reconsider things.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Is the turret a viable slag source, I thought the cool down would be too restrictive? I never managed to level axton much (just too boring, especially after so many other playthroughs) so I don't know how he plays at uvhm levels.

Having the turret (without the slag talent) made using other slag weapons more effective and less obnoxious. I never played Axton to UVHM though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Any element that makes them take increased damage will be mandatory at the highest levels. Slag or Nuke, it's going to run into the same problems of either being a dedicated gun or a mandatory build - both of which kinda suck.

Not necessarily. There's always an opportunity cost for applying the debuff, so it comes down to whether applying it is going to be more efficient than simply pewpewing with whatever your non-nuke build is going to be.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

watho posted:

Slag is awful horrible garbage because you either need to design everything around it which makes it mandatory which sucks, or you don’t design around it which makes it overpowered as hell which is boring and also sucks

Slag is redeemable if it isn't the only way to do anything ever. You only have five weapons you can easily switch between on the fly, so needing to devote one of them to slagging on nearly every character in the game isn't fun. That doesn't mean a damage-increasing debuff is some squirrelly idea that can't be made interesting. It just needs to not be so overwhelming that it overshadows using more straightforward non-slag weapons, and ideally it would be more situational than applying slag then using literally any weapon on literally every enemy.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
It would be nice if enemy weapons had anything to do with the enemies themselves, and were identifiable at a distance.

Man every time I think about Borderlands there's another lovely design decision to annoy me.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
It would be nice if explosions were a utility tool for dealing with packs of enemies and not just yellow-colored damage. Torgue weapons are satisfying and have a different play style than other weapons, which is good, but there isn't that much practical difference between a Ravager and a Oberkill/Bangstick other than aiming at different spots.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

Which TPS raid boss, ECLIPSE/EOS? In MP that fight is a nightmare. in SP that fight can be down to like 4-5 minutes which begs the question about the scaling for MP.

Isn't the redo version of Empyrean Sentinel the only raid boss in BLPS? I thought EOS was a regular boss.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mikedawson posted:

I beat the Borderlands 1 GOTY Enhanced DLC and have decided I wanted to replay the other games in chronological order following that. (Yes, I realize there will be a QOL drop between presequel and 2). Do the community patches still work? Also, a really big issue for me is that I hate how the bosses (esp late-game) regain all their health after you die in single player. (On the other hand I think I might have a better chance of finding people to play with than I did when I first went through the games)

The community patches work but you need to install them manually rather than with the now-broken mod manager. Presequel's community patch is a lot less important for a regular playthrough; it's really focused on making the endgame less sterile and reliant on Gibbed.

Some thoughts:

Pre-Sequel is set both before and after Borderlands 2. The main story is actually a flashback, with Athena explaining the events of BLPS to the cast of BL2 after the end of BL2. Neither game spoils the other.

Pre-Sequel's second playthrough, True Vault Hunter Mode, has new narration, with a fan-favorite character badgering Athena into retelling the story and making it sound harder this time. I guess it assumes you know and care who Tiny Tina is from BL2, although all you need to know is that she's a hyper teenager who codeswitches apparently at random.

The DLC for BLPS, Claptastic Voyage, is one of the best DLCs for any BL game. It's funny without being too dated or memey, although it obviously involves a whole lot of Claptrap. Do it after finishing BLPS's main story; it bridges BLPS's ending right up to the very beginning of BL2. It starts from Deck 13 1/2.

There's two other BLPS DLCs but they're nearly content-free arena fights that mostly serve to fix a hosed up part of the leveling curve in TVHM mode. You can safely skip them or just do them whenever.

Borderlands 2 is a lot more tolerable for a single blind playthrough if you pick one of the characters who gets a lot of juice out of their early talents, like Gaige, Maya, or arguably Axton, rather than a character with a super OP gimmick that comes online at level 30 or higher (the rest of the cast).

Captain Scarlett's pirate DLC (starting in Oasis) and Torgue's DLC (starting in the Badass Crater) are good, better than the overall level of writing in BL2. You can start them after level 15, which is usually around the time you derail a train in the main story.

The other two big DLCs are set after the main story, and are only available at level 30 anyway. Sir Hammerlock's DLC (starting in Hunter's Hollow) is trying to parody Heart of Darkness, but it's real bad and real real racist. The villain appears in BLPS and Tales but this one is super skippable.

Tiny Tina's DLC (starting in Unassuming Docks) is a bunch of silly D&D parody stuff that also tries to provide some emotional closure for the main story. Most people seem to love this DLC, although mixing twee and maudlin doesn't do a lot for me. It's a lot of Tiny Tina.

The rest of the BL2 DLC are little one-off vignettes (the Headhunter packs) or low-effort arena filler (Creature Slaughter and Digistruct Peak). The Headhunter packs are charming but short and mostly thin on story, and the arenas are totally skippable. Creature Slaughter in particular mostly exists as a DLC to punish people who originally bought BL2 used.

Tales from the Borderlands is very, very good and you should play it. It is set after BL2 and BLPS.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
It predates South Park but it wasn't ever funny.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

And then TPS happens, which was a crude attempt to pander to the gay community by straight people

Nah, gently caress off with this. Not all of the jokes with Jenny Sparks land, but Jenny fending off creepy dudes left and right but turning out to be a creep herself is funny and not in any sense pandering.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

whoa. never expected someone to go to the mat to defend Jenny's writing

it's weird to see someone importing the gay-characters-are-pandering-to-gays nonsense to SA :shrug:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Yeah because finding a main character's dialogue that is best described "btw did you know SHE IS A LESBIAN and wants to gently caress MOXXI AND LILITH because SHE IS GAY, GAY FOR WOMEN" as cringy and eye rolling, is the same thing as finding all gay characters ever to be gay pandering. You loving nailed it chief.

how is jenny sparks pandering to gay people, like you said here?

And then TPS happens, which was a crude attempt to pander to the gay community by straight people

if you think she just sucks, then okay. i'm not going to die on the hill of defend the quality of borderlands writing, lol

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

This. It came off as trying way too hard, and also leaning into some really toxic stereotypes about horny lesbians.

idk. i'm inclined to cut sparks a lot more slack because it seems like pretty much everyone who expresses any sexual interest in anyone else at all in BLPS is gay or bi, but i take your point here.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The portrayal of non binary sexuality in media can bug me where the writers are clearly trying to be progressive and showcase their relationships. They think they're normalizing gay relationships but instead it comes off as maintaining the exceptionalism angle because they draw waaay too much attention to it. You keep treating things as exceptional so you can be praised for your diversity but you still keep up the wall that prevents you from normalizing these relationships.

this is why sparks doesn't bother me, though. she (and tiny tina) are super loud and annoying about being attracted to women, sure. there are lots of games where there's One Exceptional Minority Character, but not BLPS: moxxi, athena, hammerlock, and a handful of minor characters are all gay/bi without being super loud and annoying about it. jenny sparks isn't a token character; she's one of several gay characters in the game, and happens to be super loud and annoying about it because she's super loud and annoying in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tendales posted:

Is there a specific joke behind people calling Janey Springs Jenny Sparks? Because I've seen it other places besides here and I can't tell if it's a reference to something or just a collective brainfart.

brainfart in my case

Kerrzhe posted:

also this, who the gently caress is jenny sparks??

a character from Authority, a comic. also a character people get mad about, although for mostly unrelated reasons.

hammerlock being gay is AFAIK a thing they didn't mention in any way until presequel (although i admit my memory of his BL2 DLC is real hazy except for the fact that it sucked). you have his boyfriend mail him what turns out to be a raid boss in BL2, and that's all the mention of his sexuality that there is. there's a bunch of low-key stuff like that in BLPS.