Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

It's me, I'm hype for this game without knowing anything about it.

Here's the thing. BL3 won't have the same writers (bye bye Birch,) won't be developed by a completely different out-of-house team (you can thank 2K Australia for TPS,) and will be a necessary win for Gearbox to stay alive after the dismal showing of Battle, the Borne Identity. Gearbox's publisher is 2K Games, a subsidiary of Take-Two Interactive. This is not a few rich EA executives forcing Anthem out ahead of its timeline and dooming Bioware to be unable to make up for the poor showing of their previous game, it's the dudes who delayed RDR2 until it was decent enough to be released to journalistic praise. Or gently caress, remember Evolve? They actually let that thing go Free to Play and it was actually pretty fun when you got in with a group of friends! Whatever BL3 ends up being, I don't think it will compare to BL1, 2, or TPS and that's a good thing.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Judge Tesla posted:

Borderlands doesn't do the loot aspect part that well, there might be hundreds of different guns but 95% of them are hot garbage, legendary weapon drop rates are beyond a joke ranging from between 0.5% to 5% and even then not all of those legendary weapons are good.

Forcing people to use cheat engine to up the drop rates is a terrible solution to this problem, Diablo 3 shits top tier stuff at you for just showing up nowdays and guess what, it works like a charm, people love to be rewarded for poo poo not punished and forced to grind for hours or use external methods.
Which is something The Division 1 took, and The Division 2 is taking, proper hints from. Meanwhile, Anthem poo poo the bed so hard it's like they were trying to be as anti-good as possible. Borderlands had plenty of good loot times but where it really failed was giving the player impetus over how the rolls rolled and not balancing entire genres of gun to be any fun to play. This, again, is something The Division 2 is doing a damned fine job of and Diablo 3 eventually got right too. It takes work and dedication. No idea if Gearbox is ready to have that guy who understands all this but ... gently caress it, if I have to cheat engine Borderlands 3, so be it. I'll gladly call it poor design from the top of a mountain but I still want to play the damned game.

Edit: One more consideration to consider. PvP is a separately balanced pool in The Division 2, completely absent from Diablo 3, and likely an afterthought in Borderlands 3 just as much as it was in 1 and 2. As such, there is little-to-no reason not to allow the player to become an overpowered beast when given an adequate enough time to make a cool build. That and difficulty balancing (loving bullet sponges in NG+ and NG++ of BL2, what the gently caress guys?!) go a long-rear end way towards understanding the looty genre. ... ... gently caress I hope they get this right.

Edit2: And revamp the loving second wind. It rendered snipers 100% useless. gently caress.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 28, 2019

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Randy deserves every embarrassment he can receive at this point.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Well if it runs at this FPS maybe I'm not so into it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I'm pretty disappointed that the graphical fidelity (framerate aside) is about as good as Borderlands 1.

Who the gently caress is this crowd?!

LOL LETS RUN IT AGAIN AND ITS STILL JITTERY

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Oh my god he loving bashed the PAX hardware and got boo'd. This event is making my insides ache.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

Graphics fidelity was never a big sell of BL anyway, it is heavily stylized so it is kinda hard to make it look much better. Also I would wait for a youtube 4k video to completely write it off as a BL1 copy.
There's style and there's fidelity. A style can be the same while the fidelity can be much higher. That's what I mean. But who knows, I'll still buy it. It's loving Borderlands.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

BTW Brick Sax Solo is a good move. Whoever does trailers at Gearbox knows their poo poo.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I was curious if that Claptrap at the end was jittery because of the video or because he was just doing pop and lock dance moves.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

You guys think they'll actually make the PC UI not suck this time?

God I hope they make the PC UI not suck this time. :(

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Bofast posted:

Yeah, as far as I know the only way to get more golden keys was to input codes that the devs would randomly post on their Twitter accounts and such.
And yes, you can still back up your profile.bin file, use a bunch of the keys and then restore the profile.bin file again to get the keys back. It also contains things like badass ranks, though, so you will also be restoring things like that.
When the game first came out you could edit a goddamn text file to give yourself 256 golden keys.
Which I did.
And then I saved most of them up for when I was max level...
At which point nothing in the golden chest was actually worth a drat using.

There are so many layers to how stupid the idea behind those keys was. The more I think about it the more I'm fearing BL3 will suck (mainly due to how much games have changed.) Now I'm just crossing my fingers I'll get an experience that at least matches BL2.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

BRAND LOYALTY
Corporations vie for control of the Borderlands through military force. Their currency: weapons. Their trade: death. Each manufacturer specializes in a different delivery method.
  • Atlas - Step 1: Hit your enemies with tracker tags. Step 2: Unleash a hail of Smart Bullets that track towards your targets. Step 3: Loot!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The latest cheat tables I was trying to use for BL2 last year were severely glitched so I hope these updates get some folks on the case to bring me back my amazingly fun loot showers!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

You know he's a bad person because of the douche chills he gives off whenever he's in front of a camera or talking to anybody... ever.

That said, him being a magician is loving hilarious and him thinking that water sports are magical is also loving hilarious.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

As soon as I read this, all I could think was this line of dialog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6rGUlVvVJ4&t=406s

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Agreed about balance stuff. The only reason BL1/2 got away with any of this (reminder that I adore both games, though TPS can go gently caress itself) is because it was the new kid on the block and everyone was still used to what we got from Diablo 2 (which was actually awful, despite how amazing it was at the time.) Now that Diablo 3 got to a refined state of showing what a good loot game could do (don't even begin @ing me about Torchlight) it's going to be really loving obvious if BL3's developers did or didn't learn anything from the current leaders in loot gaming. This is why I can't go back to any BL game w/o cheat engine involved because I now know how much of my time and effort is being wasted on lovely balancing. It's why I will probably not end up buying BL3 without solidly positive reviews ahead of time. Gearbox has a huge hurdle to get over with this release and they've given only 1 indication that they understand what they are doing via the news of instanced loot being a thing. Magic boy's tweet about purple goo being replaced with green goo, however, is 1 indication that they don't. The explanation of what makes a branded gun unique vs other brands could go either way, since nothing in there really matters until you get your hands on the game and get a sense that any of that is balanced.

I'm crossing my fingers so hard on this one that I'm getting a cramp.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

FYI Mikey's "Movies with Mikey" on FilmJoy is really loving good. Watch everything he does about Harry Potter to gain a new appreciation for that series, the Hot Fuzz one, and ... eh, any of them that aren't about Marvel/Star Wars. You can watch those too but I disagree with him on that junk a bit.

Also that presentation full of gameplay got me excited to collect some Borderlands 3 loot but less excited for any of the characters, writing, or graphical fidelity. Gameplay looks solid, though, and co-oping with friends seems to finally be working in a way all the drat loot games should have done a decade ago.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 5, 2019

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Seri posted:

I'm confused as to how he even has a job still. Eugh.
He's a magician.

He uses magic.

Duh.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I dunno if anyone else has posted this, but it's a google doc of all known BL3 Legendaries and Red Text/Powers

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fkCwu0zeX1BBGcNEzWGZDr2kQ0IOPSoZQK2FD-zpw1M/edit#gid=0

I can't help but notice that a couple of the CoV legendaries are references to Krieg
How the hell is this information pieced together? Hasn't there only been, like, one gameplay video?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The VA probably did change - Gearbox have been total scumbags and deliberately avoided unionized actors for 3, so many reoccurring characters are voiced differently this time

Kill the rich
But... Ashley Burch is union?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Just started playing a bit and I have to say, it's loving weird playing a Borderlands with a UI and engine that doesn't feel like a lovely console->PC port. Holy gently caress it's so smooth and slidey. The fact the early guns don't have stupid recoil is very, very nice as well. This may end up being a good game yet!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I don't know if it's my computer (which is beginning to show its age) or the game itself but after streaming for about an hour, I found 2 or 3 locations that would cause multiple crashes. At first the fix was to set graphics to lowest settings but then one hit that was just 1 second after loading into the world and wouldn't quit. The solution was to reboot my computer. So... I'm just making this post in case anyone else has similar problems.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Had a Loot Tink
I just read this and then slapped my forehead because I just realized that I killed a loot tink about 30 minutes ago and forgot to open its backpack.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Y'know what I didn't figure out until my second anointed enemy? You're supposed to melee them after they die. -_-

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

This game is such a love hate relationship for me. I love the way it plays, feels, and shoots. There is such a higher variety of guns and abilities, the movement feels way better thanks to the sliding and mantling, the engine itself is just all around better... It's basically the best Borderlands yet!

Then I'm reminded of how bad of a job the writers did and I get sad. This game really could have been a true GOTY contender if they just hired some actually-good writers. Like, it's not even that the overall writing is bad, it's that it feels like specific characters were written by different writers, so you get Clay who is written really well, and then Vaughn who was written by an imbecile. Imagine someone making a mod that cut out all the most useless dialog (90% of it) and replaced the worst-but-necessary writing with actually good jokes. It'd be like this game's version of DSfix.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Hopefully not a repost of something someone else posted but I found this location in a small shack.
I'm guessing it's a South Park reference.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Clarste posted:

Too bad you got it at level 18 though.
I was really hoping that being able to modify the pieces of the guns was a thing and in doing so, you could slowly upgrade the level (per piece) of a gun so it matched what you were at. I can't believe they still haven't added gun customization outside of cosmetics only. Why even have that whole interface to show off all the bits and pieces and how they modify the stats if you can't even change them?

Mind you, I understand that they didn't want you to keep the same gun through more than, say, 5 levels of the game, but if they just made it stupidly expensive or be an unlockable at level 50, I don't see the harm. Like, just let people take 1 piece from any gun as a decompile and the loot grind wouldn't end, you'd keep a look out for specific pieces to add to your best guns as your endgame. Make the pieces type and brand specific and boom, rarity is where it should be. It's how The Division did it and I think that worked out fine. (It didn't work out fine due to other stupid restrictions but it would've if they just played it looser...)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 18, 2019

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I just played the Grace mission. Low loving blow, writers. Jesus Christ.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

FYI if you ever see this grenade, keep it and use it. I'm level 34 and it's still melting groups of enemies in a single throw.

Honestly I could've been making posts like this throughout my entire (unfinished) playthrough but this one feels extra special. It's so explodey and melty.

I've really, truly been blessed this playthrough. I've consistently found really amazing equipment from all the brands in all the types of guns. I constantly feel like I'm finding fantastic upgrades to my previous weaponry. I really don't think I've ever had such a consistently good drip-feed of loot from a loot game. It... kinda makes me hate Destiny (a little more than I already do.) I'd say the closest any game compared to this drip feed was The Division (and 2) but the guns are so bland (due to that being a realistic game) it's not as cool as the upgrades Borderlands can give.

Unlike the previous games, I think I might actually replay Borderlands 3 with the other characters.

BTW I haven't read this thread much (sorry) but what do you folks do to compare your guns and figure out what to keep and what to lose? I've been sorting by type, equipping all of a type, and just shooting them off to see what feels best, trashing the ones that don't, trying to end up with 1 or 2 per type. All red text gets banked (a nasty habit I probably can't keep much longer.)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Does anyone have a bug with Balex where if you try talking to him, he keeps repeating the line about "ejecting that bitch." Not that I particularly enjoy Ice T's VO in this game but I'm wondering if this is a me thing or not. Also, having not beaten the game yet, wondering if I'm missing out on the possibility that Marcus implanted GenIVIV into a gun that I'm not receiving.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

End game stuff: So does everyone have the "warped out of level" bug at the end? I'm kinda pissed I didn't get whatever sweet loot Troy dropped.
Edit: Never mind, the lost and found is a savior.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 19, 2019

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

ChrisBTY posted:

So I'm just going to never use the keys because this is who I am as a person.
Get a character to level 50, then use them. Boom, you get to play the awesomely fun loot game and have a massive reward at the end of the road!

Thumbtacks posted:

There's a blue grenade you get on Eden-6 and it's...bugged. It spawns child grenades but those child grenades also spawn child grenades, so it does poo poo like this. Spoilers for Eden-6 boss.
Yeah that would be this:
I made a vid of it melting a boss you find in the last couple chapters that I may or may not post at some point but it's basically a 1-throw death. Kinda sad cuz I wanted to hear more of that bosses lines... but the game lets you revisit bosses so I'll head back later.

BTW, as one of the people who was talking about how lovely the writing is, I would like to say that most of the lovely writing is front-loaded. Once you hit Eden-6, the quality vastly increases and at the verge of beating the game, I can say that the quality is sustainable. So, more or less, Borderlands 3 is split in half by good and bad writing, with the bad up front and the good waiting for you later.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 19, 2019

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Frustrated posted:

I hate when companies do this poo poo. All the turds who had infinite time to play already have every orange they could ever want. The rest of us who aren't quite done with the game yet essentially get punished by having a much grindier end game when we get there and we're the ones who don't have the time to hardcore grind it to begin with. This happens in literally every loot game.
Don't worry too much about it. If you want to recreate the experience, I'm sure there will be (if there isn't already) a cheat engine table for it.

... Unless you're on console, in which case you should be used to this kind of poo poo by now.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So does giving Marcus the disk with GenIVIV on it ever lead to anything or is my game broken?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Is there any way to 100% areas quicker than filling in all the shaded out parts? Seems weird to me that they don't just slap the icons onto the map after you've beaten the game.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

Did the hotfix fix the Porcelain pipe bomb?
Nope!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I only started playing Mayhem 2 last night, which is more like banging my head against a wall because I'm not even level 50 yet and stuff can melt me if I'm not careful (tough I'm also early on with Guardian points.) The insanely high rate of good drops I'm getting from just slowly crawling around makes me think that people are probably being too whiny about the hotfix made to the drops. In a post-hotfix world, Mayhem 2 feels like it's higher than it should be.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I kinda hope they just add a couple more levels of Mayhem and let Mayhem 5 have the old Mayhem 3 drop rate so people can stop being sad but also have to get way more buff to get the output.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Hey what am I supposed to do to open these doors?

I'm in the end game and am trying to 100% everything.

Edit: Never mind, it appears that unveiling the entire map isn't supposed to be a goal of the game and that location is where a raid boss will likely end up being. So weird they'd have areas on the map that you aren't supposed to access yet but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised with Gearbox.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Subliminal Ninja posted:

Do cloud saves work with this (PS4)? For example playing a character at home and then logging in for split screen co-op on another PS4? Or would I need to start a new save just for that PS4 (with the same PSN)?
Cloud saves on the PS4 are a PS Plus feature. If you have PS Plus, you have cloud saves. I've not heard of any game that disabled this feature.

Edit: This was my best porcelain bomb throw ever. The item itself is level 23.

https://i.imgur.com/WXyrEbk.mp4

It's honestly kinda impressive the game doesn't slow to a crawl when this bug happens. That's some grey goo poo poo that would typically lock a computer.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 22, 2019