Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rinkles posted:

anthony or one of the other writers expressed regret over killing her in bl2 after fleshing her out in tps

Just say the vault hunters didn't go to Lynchwood in the canon? Seems like they could bring her back if they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Rinkles posted:

also, if you're a lore buff you might know about this obscure technology called new-u digitstruct stations

Declared non-canon from within the canon!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

Borderlands 2 and Presequel suffer a lot from a lack of protagonists. Lilith and Roland's melodrama is bad even by the standards of game writing, and the beginning and end of the game suffer from running out of characters to care about. (There is also the fact that the entire story is some thin bullshit that relies on the same tired damsel tropes that the game specifically goes out of its way to mock.) Your character's big accomplishments don't happen in the game at all: they're either related to you as exposition (You survived Handsome Jack!) or missable ECHO tapes (you're a badass from offworld who inexplicably has to have your backstory told to you?) You aren't playing a character so much as a floating gun-camera who happens to passively watch the story happen.

BLPS is a little better about this since your character is more integrated into the story... if you're playing Athena or Claptrap. Wilhelm, Nisha, and especially the DLC characters are again nonentities in their own story. Even then, Athena's narration kind of gets forgotten for most of the game, and her big ending with Jamey Springs is quietly relegated to a blink-and-you'll-miss-it thing in the DLC. The main reason your character feels like less of a cipher is because everyone is a cipher; most of the game is spent running errands for largely inert characters like Moxxi and Pickle. The closest thing this game has to a protagonist is Jack, and his descent into evil is completely unconvincing to me. (He mostly feels like a dick who becomes a more powerful dick and integrating Roland and Lilith into the story is distracting and pointless - although it's nice that they aren't useless chumps for once.)

I actually like TPS quite a lot, mostly for things like the hunters being more talkative that in the other games. Beyond the isolated quips, they have conversations with the NPCs, with stuff like Janey telling them that they're not her type (except Athena) and their responses to Claptrap('s psyche) storming off after they snap at him (people like Nisha are dismissive and glad he's gone, Athena remorsefully say's she's sorry after him) I'm hoping they keep that for BL3. And the Grinder. And lasers.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

wdarkk posted:

So I'm going back through TPS and I'm having a ton of trouble with the vault boss, whose first form keeps nearly one shotting me at the start of the fight. I don't think it's a reflected bullets (that comes later). What the heck is this?

I don't think he should be hitting that hard so early unless you are under leveled? I don't really remember much besides don't fire into the deflect.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Mikedawson posted:

This just went up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdA6SqsZTHE

It's about a new twitch extension feature for 3. Also we get to hear Claptrap's new voice.

You can tell it's a different actor but really nothing wrong with it. The Twitch extension looks swank anyway and plays well to Borderland USPs around getting unique loot.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I really hope we get the intro with the player character intro cards, cruelty to a Skag and indie rock tomorrow.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Hyperion chests should have an audio clip of Jack spouting all the corporate nonsense speak which he directed to be the name of all Hyperion guns.

"Center up on this synergy baby!"

Definitely want a lot of marketing smack talk between manufacturers.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

wow that zane barrier tree actually sounds extremely cool, and if i wasn't already dead set on playing amara i'd definitely use him

I was probably going for him abreast but he sounds great. Also cryo confirmed in game.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Id only seen Under Cover when I last posted, Hitman and Doubled Agent look incredible!

Given you pick 2 action skills at a time, I don't see how UC synergizes with the other trees, which seem to be very mobility based. Maybe it's that I'm seeing them as a whole, rather than looking at a profession of separate skill that can work whilst staying behind a shield. It does seem like you can make an effective build using all 3 trees without all of the action skills anyway. I'm excited to play around in it all.

Also was expecting Zane to be English, but "Nanomachines or some shite" suggests Irish. Which I'm sure will be handled sensitively.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Pylons posted:

What do we think the slots will look like for Fl4k and Moze? I'm really hoping for some kind of behavioral modifier for Fl4k's pet/pets. Would make sense with the leak that they were having trouble with the AI on Fl4k's pets too.

I just realized I want the Skag that is inevitably seen in the intro to be adopted by FL4K.

I'm guessing for Moze it will determine the armament on her Mech, we've seen it can vary.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I like that it sounds like both your chosen action skills benefit from boosts to AS cool down. I guess skills with "when you kill an enemy with your action skills" apply to all of them as well?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Why would Maliwan be the bad guys? The Cult of the Vault already has their own line of guns.

I think they are confirmed as the main villain corporation this time, like Atlas in 1, Hyperion in 2 and Dahl in TPS (although it was also sort of Hyperion again). Definitely have big robots to fight

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

ZARPEDOOOOOOOOOOOON!

It's a lot of fun to say.

E: on the topic of Maliwan, a skill in Amara's tree mentioned improved "switching" or something, along with weapon swapping, so presumably Maliwan guns with their 2 elemental modes use that.

Looking forward to seeing how the new manufacturer gimmicks work, a lot more going on there now.

Here's the video I saw of Zane's for completeness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw91ygpOH78

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 1, 2019

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Was meaning to ask about that, as some UK streamers (RKG) I follow announced they are streaming gameplay from LA at the same time, so this explains what's going on there.

Talking of the UK following, here's what's happened at London's main game bar;

https://twitter.com/2K_UK/status/1114211952883052544?s=19

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 1, 2019

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

On one hand, all of the stuff where Eridium is obviously an addictive drug and maybe Lilith has a problem goes nowhere. That's annoying

On the other, God, can you imagine the trainwreck if BL2 had tried to make a nuanced statement about addiction?

Or if they tried to depict grief through the Tiny Tina DLC?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Not able to watch properly as I'm on a train an my earphones are put of battery, did I see APEX style sliding!?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Kaysette posted:

yes! idk how fast itll be downhill but its similar

Yeah I've just seen that and a bunch of environmental stuff, core gameplay looks loving slick, a huge step forward.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Me, an idiot: Randy is a shitlord and Gearbox deserves better.

You, a Galaxy Brain Genius: This is all a false flag to distract from the fact that the game will have...*checks notes*...cosmetic micro transactions, something most big games have.

Have the BL2 skins been permanently discounted, or have they always been sub one dollar?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I just did a playthrough of BL2, not doing Lynchwood or the DLC. Does the DLC adjust to your level or is it going to be too easy unless I go in on NG+? I gather Lynchwood is fixed level.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I guess I'll just try them and abandon if it's too easy.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I just gave the first game a quick playthrough. The ending was, uh, not great. Firstly I assumed I'd get a vending machine to clear my inventory then I just sort of shot it with my second best gun (out of SMG ammo on Mercenary Siren) and it died without really doing anything. I was underleveled if anything.

DLC seems good though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Kaysette posted:

Yeah the ending of BL1 was a decently common joke until ME3 decided to take over the bad ending spotlight.

Kind of a different thing, ME3 what away a 3 game build, BL1 just kind of doesn't bother, coupled with an apparently underpowered boss.

But I'm doing Armoury of General Knoxx now and it's pretty enjoyable, seems to have much more in common with BL2.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

TPS is underrated, but I do at least understand where people are coming from when they say they hated it. Claptastic Voyage is just plain underrated, period.

It's really gratifying to see the right cues being taken from TPS, like player characters talking to NPCs, and getting actions kills at level 3. And Cryo being retained and even linked to a class.

Its crazy how good Claptastic is, but Dragon Keep actually being a proper study in grief blows my mind.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Tei posted:

I think so. You could always check the videos streamers made when they where invited to play the game.

I think there will be guns that fire lasers, like a Torgue legendary rifle I've seen, but they use the regular gun types and ammo.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Unless the lasers EXPLODE then everyone should boycott this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wtTkNHT-ls

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Handsome Collection free with PSPLUS, and, for whatever reason, on sale for $6 on Steam. That includes all cosmetics if anybody wants to fill out their costume list.

Already have the PS4 version and almost got Athena to level 70, but might get the Steam version for mods.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

Warframe is another shooter with an emphasis on builds, magic powers, and weird weapons.

You can also get into the broader loot shooter game as a service stuff like Destiny, Division, Anthem (which is apparently bad?) but that's further afield.

The loot system of Anthem sounds pretty bad, not very diverse, and you pretty much find commons early game, and the weapon power just scales over 3 increments to match your level.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I just realised, did they promote it with Crazy Train because it was Iron Man adjacent?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Just got Handsome collection on Steam Sale but found I can't transfer my characters from PS4 as I thought. Guess I should look at some mods but I might polish off the last 3 levels on Athena.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Just in time, I hit level 70 with Athena earlier today. Feel like I want to restart UVHM again and full kit her out.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

I've been playing the handsome collection all week since it was free for PS+ this month and just hit 30 today, and now I see there's an update that lets you skip to level 30. RIP

Taking that option also puts you at the start of the Battle for Sanctuary and gives you a warning that it's about to get spoilery if you haven't played the game already. You've pretty much done it as intended and will probably have a decent loadout. I rolled a lvl 30 Zer0 as I previously played on PS4 and had 4 green weapons (Slag sniper. Fire SMG, shock pistol and explosive rifle) and some other basic kit. You can just take a quick travel and do other stuff though, didn't check if it dropped you in True Vault Hunter or anything.

It's also set after Tales, with major events being relevant really early.

I'm digging it so far, villain seems pretty interesting and has potential for fun. Early appearance from *sigh* Vaughn. Fine character, shame about the other stuff.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well these bullet sponge plant bandits are incredibly unfun to fight.

Did you use the green gear on a new level 30? I'm wondering if it would be better with blues and purples from a full playthrough.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I guess I should look at gibbed if I can't port over from PS4, are there any drawbacks, or can you just have whatever you want?

Are there any other recommended mods?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Clarste posted:

The first trailer already showed hints that she got her power stolen and given to someone else. So it's old news to anyone who's been following this closely.

A gameplay preview gas shown the sister saying how she's enjoying Lilith's Firehawk powers I think.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Oh cool, thought that dude was just a weird, funny YouTuber.

It's probably not LoaderBot is it?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

BL3 better keep with this new high drop mentality. BL2 was pretty bad with low rates and a dull grind. This felt fun and fresh by comparison.

Just let us loot all the guns. All the time. All the guns. Shloot them even.

What I've seen so far makes it look generous. The Moze footage from the other day showed a big loot pile with some sort of pack in it, which opened to spew out another pile of loot. Didn't appear to be from anything more than a badass. And you won't be fighting over loot with other players.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

With access to a gaming PC, there's no compelling reason to get this on PS4 is there? I played Handsome Collection on it but got it before I had the PC.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Finished the DLC- there doesn't seem to be a way to make things work with events in the Pre-Sequel? Or at least the framing device. There's no mention of The Watcher, and it seems like no one has left Pandora yet, which TPS had it that Axton and Gaige went to find a vault on another planet and capture Aurelia there whilst Athena was being interogated. And Athena should have still been with the Raiders, I think.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

If anyone was wondering, or was maybe put off by remembering Hero's Pass as a bit of slog, you can go and beat Jack and The Warrior with a boosted level 30 character just fine. The things to remember are, besides possibly not having built a skillset organically, you won't have any black market upgrades for storage so you might want to see about that first. All the sidequests are available, so Sanctuary is a sea of "!"s, and you can avail yourself of the golden chest for some quick gear upgrades. Probably good if you want to just skip 30 levels and develop a character.

That's as Zer0 mind, I remember struggling against the Warrior as Maya because her action skill didn't really work on it.

Edit: actually I'm wrong, the boosted characters have 2 levels in every black market upgrade.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think the relationship between the new classes and their 3 action skills is different. Zane can take 2 at a time, one replacing his grenade, separate cooldowns. I think Amara just chooses one? Moze always has her Mech but chooses it's equipment through action skill selection. We've not seen enough FL4K to know how he works, but trailers show him with all 3 pets at once.