Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I would not say it is a good adaptation, but it is bad in an entertaining way at least. The guy playing Dracula is having a really good time. The last episode just goes so far off the rails it has to be seen to be believed. There's one plot point that actually feels like it came straight out of WWDITS

Dracula is trapped in a super prison built by the descendants of the Harkers who have a whole secret society in the modern day that exists just to deal with Dracula's return. How does he escape? Well, they give him a tablet to read up on modern history, which is not connected to the internet, but he correctly guesses that the wifi password is "Dracula", and calls a lawyer (Renfield) to come let him out or else he will call the police. Everyone at the Harker institute or whatever is just like "oh well we can't do anything to stop this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It is not a good adaptation until the third episode.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hakkesshu posted:

The guy playing Dracula is having a really good time.

This part is true. Dude chews up the scenery every chance he gets.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I missed the first part of Dracula but my wife watched it and liked it. We watched the rest together and I quite enjoyed the second part in the boat but the third part was bizarre (and poo poo).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well your wife married you so I wouldn't put much stock in her taste.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hakkesshu posted:

I would not say it is a good adaptation, but it is bad in an entertaining way at least. The guy playing Dracula is having a really good time. The last episode just goes so far off the rails it has to be seen to be believed. There's one plot point that actually feels like it came straight out of WWDITS

Dracula is trapped in a super prison built by the descendants of the Harkers who have a whole secret society in the modern day that exists just to deal with Dracula's return. How does he escape? Well, they give him a tablet to read up on modern history, which is not connected to the internet, but he correctly guesses that the wifi password is "Dracula", and calls a lawyer (Renfield) to come let him out or else he will call the police. Everyone at the Harker institute or whatever is just like "oh well we can't do anything to stop this."

Hahaha and I thought wwdits was the funniest vampire show

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
That 3rd episode is beyond stupid

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno folks, all this goonish making GBS threads on Dracula makes me want to watch it now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The second episode set on the ship is genuinely good up until the very, very end (which was at least intriguing until they utterly hosed it up in the third episode). In that sense it's similar to the last season of Sherlock, where the second episode was as good as anything the show had ever done but then had a really bad final scene leading to an astonishingly terrible final episode.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I dunno folks, all this goonish making GBS threads on Dracula makes me want to watch it now.

I honestly think it's worth a watch just because it's so bizarre and insane. I enjoyed the first two episodes even though you can easily break down a bunch of stuff that doesn't make sense. It is very comparable to Sherlock in that it is insanely indulgent in every way.

If nothing else it is pretty unforgettable. I still occassionally use the phrase "bloofer lady" which is used several times in a key emotional moment in the third episode, and it's just, How Did This Get Made.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

It is very comparable to Sherlock in that it is insanely indulgent in every way.

Also in that Dracula is basically Moriarty 2.0.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Do it, chase your bliss.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
For Matt Berry fans, he and Arthur Mathews have a four-part series on iPlayer right now, 'Squeamish on....' It's a series of short 'documentaries' about such things as London, relationships, the countryside, &c.

It's Matt's usually schtick, but the amount of work that must have gone into sourcing and choosing all of the vox pops and clips from the BBC archives and stock footage library is impressive. Sometimes they dub over them, but sometimes just present them out of context (there's a famous one with a woman giving a person-in-the-street interview about the impact of television on her family and friends, from the early 1960s, for example).

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

There is also Garth Marenghi's Darkplace with tons of Matt Berry in it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397150/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Cool it, Sanchez, or you'll get a knuckle supper!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I mean it should go without saying, but if anyone ITT hasn't seen Toast of London you're missing out on Peak Berry.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgEBaIqKhV8

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Emmy Ave "For Your Consideration" Emporium. Clever

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

AR-I-ZON-I-A

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Naychos

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Charismaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

That bar is WAAAAY to crowded!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I recently started Toast of London. Matt Berry: YES!

Also, I finally watched Four Lions. Kayvan Novak as one of the leads was a pleasant, thick as a brick, surprise.

I suppose I should seek out a Natasia Demetrou show or movie now

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

I suppose I should seek out a Natasia Demetrou show or movie now

Stath Lets Flats is on HBO Max which has both her and her brother. I couldn't really get into it since it's packed full of that REALLY awkward English humor. It got nominated for some BAFTAs recently.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Fartington Butts posted:

Stath Lets Flats is on HBO Max which has both her and her brother. I couldn't really get into it since it's packed full of that REALLY awkward English humor. It got nominated for some BAFTAs recently.

Noted. I love awful, awkward british humor so ill give it a try! thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s also Ellie & Natasha which was a pilot sketch show she did, and she’s in the Eurovision movie briefly.

Also Kayvan did Phonejacker and Facejacker for years and it was wildly popular, but I’m not sure how well it holds up.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

She's on the big flower fight on Netflix too but it's more of being a funny host

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I watched Big Flower Fight before watching this show and I totally did not recognize her. I didn't know it was the same actress until I was looking up her imdb.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I finally finished S2! God this show’s great. It basically had me sold from Laszlo’s ‘it’s loving massive’ where I had to pause and cry-laugh for a good 2-3 minutes.

I love all the cast equally, with special mention to Nadja’s off to the side reaction faces. When the stupid baby vampire Jenna asks where their clothes go when they transform into bats and Nadja is just hit by the fact she’s absolutely never thought about it. “...Huh.”

Matt Berry’s schtick can wear thin as someone else said, being in the UK, you hear his voice a lot. Guillermo doing 😬 in reaction shots never gets old. :3:

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...
I just ordered a very nice T-shirt for the premiere of season 3 (whenever that might be)

https://www.lastexittonowhere.com/catalogue/the-unholy-masquerade_10099/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like getting Vladislav all the way from NZ repeatedly to do Council stuff is weird.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like getting Vladislav all the way from NZ repeatedly to do Council stuff is weird.

It sort of makes sense for him (moreso than the rest of the Wellington crew) since he was supposedly super-powerful and important before hitting a rough patch.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe he's been trying to make it as a kiwi in the big city with his mate as a Broadway actor after the last council meeting :kimchi:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Don't remember if this had been posted previously
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5538Ni_Jkk

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Randomly came across a recommendation on youtube for an interview with the cast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfegRSaj5J0 Here it is in full!

Some choice tidbits and spoilers for next season

We're going on a road trip!
Someone is having a birthday!! Extra Spoilery Its Colinrobinson
More mythical creatures showing up
Nandor looking for love.

And it ended with a commercial for the sponsor, Lucky Brew's Bar and Grill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfegRSaj5J0&t=1764s

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 11, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nandor is my favorite vampire.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Nandor is my favorite vampire.

:same:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Every vampire is my favorite, every scene my favorite changes.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

a sexual elk posted:

Every vampire is my favorite, every scene my favorite changes.

Same.

I try to rank them sometimes and It goes something like this “I guess Nandor is last.... that can’t be because Nandor is my favorite?”

The only exception is that Colin Robinson is actually my favorite and the rest are all tied for second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I like Colin Robinson because he would be me if I was cooler and more popular.