Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
'Colin' seems like a very NZ boring guy name, to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

exmarx posted:

'Colin' seems like a very NZ boring guy name, to me

You know, Colin ranked 319th most popular name England and Wales in 1996 and 684th most popular in 2014. It has been moderately popular in the United States and was listed in the top 100 boys names in the U.S. in 2005. In Scotland it ranked 302 in 2014, but in Ireland it is more popular, ranking 88th in 2006. It It has two distinct origins, the first being a diminutive form of "Colle", itself an Old French short form of the name Nicolas. This name, but not the anglicized Gaelic name, is also found in the spelling Collin. This name is formed by the Old French diminutive -in also found in Robin. An anglicized form of the Gaelic name Cuilen, Cailean, modern Irish spelling Coileáin, meaning "whelp, cub". The Old Irish word for "whelp," is cuilén. The Scottish Gaelic name is recorded in the spelling Colin from as early as the 14th century. MacCailean was a patronymic used by Clan Campbell, after Cailean Mór. In the US, Colin has peaked in 2004 at rank 84, and has substantially declined since (rank 196 as of 2016). The form Collin reached the peak of its popularity somewhat earlier, at rank 115 in 1996, and has declined to rank 298 as of 2016. Taken together, the names Colin and Collin accounted for 0.16% (about 1 in 620) of boys named in the US in 2016, down from 0.4% (one in 250) in 2004.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Astroman posted:

You know, Colin ranked 319th most popular name England and Wales in 1996 and 684th most popular in 2014. It has been moderately popular in the United States and was listed in the top 100 boys names in the U.S. in 2005. In Scotland it ranked 302 in 2014, but in Ireland it is more popular, ranking 88th in 2006. It It has two distinct origins, the first being a diminutive form of "Colle", itself an Old French short form of the name Nicolas. This name, but not the anglicized Gaelic name, is also found in the spelling Collin. This name is formed by the Old French diminutive -in also found in Robin. An anglicized form of the Gaelic name Cuilen, Cailean, modern Irish spelling Coileáin, meaning "whelp, cub". The Old Irish word for "whelp," is cuilén. The Scottish Gaelic name is recorded in the spelling Colin from as early as the 14th century. MacCailean was a patronymic used by Clan Campbell, after Cailean Mór. In the US, Colin has peaked in 2004 at rank 84, and has substantially declined since (rank 196 as of 2016). The form Collin reached the peak of its popularity somewhat earlier, at rank 115 in 1996, and has declined to rank 298 as of 2016. Taken together, the names Colin and Collin accounted for 0.16% (about 1 in 620) of boys named in the US in 2016, down from 0.4% (one in 250) in 2004.

Psychic vampire spotted.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

muscles like this! posted:

I liked how Jeff's "Gregor" voice was pretty much him doing a Chris Hemsworth Thor impression.

It sounded like an impression of Chris Pratt doing a Chris Hemsworth Thor impression to me, which made it even better :allears:

Nadja casually vomiting a jetstream of liquid vomit from a single piece of popcorn ala Let The Right One In was great. I think my biggest laugh though probably came from,"Run free my comra-WHAT THE gently caress!?!"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
On paper, it should have been funnier if Colin was just a normal super irritating human who thought he was an energy vampire, just like on paper it should have been funnier if Nadja just kept picking random people (or horses) and thought they were Gregor. But this show instead took both literally and made it amazing.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

It sounded like an impression of Chris Pratt doing a Chris Hemsworth Thor impression to me, which made it even better :allears:

Nadja casually vomiting a jetstream of liquid vomit from a single piece of popcorn ala Let The Right One In was great. I think my biggest laugh though probably came from,"Run free my comra-WHAT THE gently caress!?!"

Cats attacking him was a Let The Right One In reference too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Buller posted:

Speaking of the cats, I loved them talking back to him in Animal Control :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also, sorry for the double post but Buller's post made me immediately want to make this:

https://streamable.com/i5c3t

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerusalem posted:

Also, sorry for the double post but Buller's post made me immediately want to make this:

Ha ha ha goddamn

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

:lol: :cabot:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Buller posted:

Naja turning into a pile of rats was straight out of Coppola's Dracula. This show's pulling from all the right sources.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

This is the funniest show on TV right now.

There's no way it gets picked up for another season.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Psychic vampire spotted.

I wonder if Colin can feed from people over long distance media or if he needs to be in close proximity.

Jerusalem posted:

Perfect. I'm glad people remember that scene, it was weird as hell.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Looks like the burden of NZT finally got ole brian to snap. Now he's living in Staten island as a parking lot attendant?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

YaketySass posted:

Perfect. I'm glad people remember that scene, it was weird as hell.

I hope everybody has seen Let The Right One In (I think it got an American remake which by all accounts was awful), it's such a superb film.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Bert Roberge posted:

This is the funniest show on TV right now.

There's no way it gets picked up for another season.

Why

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Jerusalem posted:

I hope everybody has seen Let The Right One In (I think it got an American remake which by all accounts was awful), it's such a superb film.

Yeah, that goofy cat scene really isn't representative of the quality of the film.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does anyone have a clip or gif of Jeff-Gregor feeding Nadja the single piece of popcorn?

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Does anyone have a clip or gif of Jeff-Gregor feeding Nadja the single piece of popcorn?

uh uh uh uh uh... gif

https://i.imgur.com/Ik3LHIk.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/80tbvvr.gifv

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jerusalem posted:

"Let Me In" isn't awful at all. In fact, it's good. It's just not as good as "Let The Right One In".

(it even has an 88% on RottenTomatoes)

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 29, 2019

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

InfiniteZero posted:

"Let Me In" isn't awful at all. In fact, it's good. It's just not as good as "Let The Right One In".

Agreed. It’s really under appreciated and is closer to the book in plot if not location than the original film

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

InfiniteZero posted:

There's a lot of people I've met who think Let Me In is outright better. :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Alan G posted:

Agreed. It’s really under appreciated and is closer to the book in plot if not location than the original film

I recall the author being concerned that Let The Right One In heavily suggests that the vampire was simply grooming Oskar as a replacement for Håkan and writing a sequel that expressly counters that take. I actually really like LTROI's interpretation though, if only because it's such a dark take on the rather obvious (and creepy as gently caress, if you think about it) romance between the two.

I assume Let Me In is more obviously in line with the author's intent?

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I recall the author being concerned that Let The Right One In heavily suggests that the vampire was simply grooming Oskar as a replacement for Håkan and writing a sequel that expressly counters that take. I actually really like LTROI's interpretation though, if only because it's such a dark take on the rather obvious (and creepy as gently caress, if you think about it) romance between the two.

yeah pretty much spot on. It’s made more obvious what their relationship is, and it’s made more clear what Oskars origin is

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

We are very sorry our house guest ate your sound recordist.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

"Totally worth it!"

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Goddamn this was a great episode

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
"You want us to quack him?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I wasn't really feeling it at first but after they did shots the episode just nailed scene after scene utterly hilariously. The vampires attempting to explain that they were on drugs to the documentary crew was the best.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I love this show

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I want this show to run for a hundred years.

Jerusalem posted:

Really? Oskar being groomed as a replacement caregiver is not what the author intended? Because I found it hard to see it any other way. Geez, that somehow makes the whole thing creepier and much worse.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Baron just wanted to have fun lol.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I wasn't really feeling it at first but after they did shots the episode just nailed scene after scene utterly hilariously. The vampires attempting to explain that they were on drugs to the documentary crew was the best.

"... and now I am a wizard."

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
"...coprophilia?"

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Loomer posted:

"...coprophilia?"

I'm a little bummed that they did a double take on that joke but I realized most people aren't Extremely Online and might not know what coprophilia is off the cuff, plus Jones's reading was good

rip to "the barren"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Eat This Glob posted:

I'm a little bummed that they did a double take on that joke but I realized most people aren't Extremely Online and might not know what coprophilia is off the cuff, plus Jones's reading was good

rip to "the barren"

Also in the episode which introduced The Baron there was a scene where Laszlo was reminiscing of the sexual hijinks they used to get up to an there was an old woodblock print of The Baron pissing on Laszlo.

Laszlo just wants to recapture the old magic they shared. :(

Edit: found it

"Very animalistic. Acrobatic stuff, you might say."

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 2, 2019

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Probably one of the best comedic episodes I've ever seen. Attention to detail and nailed the timing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Man, I rewatched the episode and I'm kind of bummed they killed the Baron off so soon because he's a great character. I mean his death was perfect and hilarious and it fit the episode, but I still wish we could have seen more of him.

Maybe they can bring Doug Jones on in a different role? Maybe keep showing up as different cool monsters that keep getting accidentally killed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Devils SUCK!