Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And let's be honest: The werewolves were totally at fault here.

Need to see more of the Vamps neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yesss, (hiss), and this is exactly why Sweet Dee on Always Sunny is so good. After season 1 where she was slotted in, she basically needed to be dragged down to the level of the rest of the gang and it made her amazing.

Really glad this is living up to the movie. I can't think of any other movie>TV show that works quite as well as this has either.

The Limitless tv series was so much better than the movie.

And then they only made one season.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/AJemaineClement/status/1116499686049763329

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Idk why but the energy vampire having a Will and Grace mug made me lose my poo poo.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently the writers wanted to make Nadja the smart one of the group but Natasia really pushed for the character to be just as dumb and crazy as the other vampires
https://twitter.com/LaurenSarner/status/1110563651268812800
Well this was the call of the Century. Nadia insulting the werewolf woman and then being offended when she clapped back was great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved how the werewolf woman would basically go from 0-100 in the blink of an eye in terms of being aggressive.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Saskatoon mother fucker!!!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

happy to see the swearwerewolves make their debut, and the stupid toy throwing gag plus the "can we keep the bone" bit had me laughing more than i would have expected

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I liked Lazlo's traditional gardening outfit.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Harvey Guillen is great in this.

https://twitter.com/HARVEYGUILLEN/status/1116170180407648261

Very good casting all around.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Can't get the theme song out of my head

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

It's funny how you'd assume from the guy's complaint that he is a total asswipe, but then you check his twitter and he's so much worse than that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“I hate vulgar things!!!! But Trump is great”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What was so vulgar anyway, I mean it's not like it was Laszlo's sister's vulva.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/AJemaineClement/status/1117546162393796609

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I choose to read this as him talking about the TV show ‘Friends’ as I don’t believe he has actual friends.

Also: now I’m very much looking forward to episode 10.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

By the way, if anyone was wondering why the actors Karen O'Leary and Mike Minogue are playing characters called O'Leary and Minogue it's because Jemaine Clement originally didn't come up with names for the characters and put Karen on the spot:

quote:

What We Do in the Shadows was unscripted and largely improvised. Karen only met the directors just minutes before filming her first scene.

“So here I was with no idea what I was really doing and Jemaine Clement gives me a very brief overview of the situation and then asks what my name is going to be. I politely ask if perhaps he should know that cause it’s his movie. He then proceeds to ask ‘what is your last name?’ I say O’Leary and he just thought sounded really ‘cop’. Then we had to work out a name for Mike (O’Leary’s partner Minogue). We made a couple of obvious Kylie jokes and then just settled on Minogue. So you’ve got a lesbian cop and a cop named after a gay icon. Not too shabby!”
https://gayexpress.co.nz/2018/08/uniformed-lesbians-have-never-been-funnier/

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

fadam posted:

Idk why but the energy vampire having a Will and Grace mug made me lose my poo poo.

He's absolutely perfect. It's almost scary how well they've distilled so many annoying personality traits into one character and yet made him a highlight of the show.

I was hoping that they'd keep it ambiguous if he was actually a vampire or just some annoying guy, but that epic emotional battle was hilarious and totally worth it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Davros1 posted:

I liked Lazlo's traditional gardening outfit.

I liked that he's actually good at gardening.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

Critic's Notebook: The Joyful Absurdity of 'The Tick' and 'What We Do in the Shadows'

The Amazon superhero comedy and FX's new vampire show offer just the kind of effortless humor everyone needs right now.

Amazon's comedy series The Tick abounds in moments of unfettered, and maybe even unearned, joy. It's a laugh just to look at The Tick (Peter Serafinowicz), with his enormous blue costume and moving antennae. Those moments underline how the series, which just kicked off its second season, doesn't have to be laugh-out-loud funny all the time to be rewarding.

This same sense of delightful ridiculousness is on offer in FX's What We Do in the Shadows, which recently started its first season. The vampire comedy (based on the 2014 movie of the same name by Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi), conjures oodles of hilarity in ways that don't rely on written jokes or elaborate visual bits. Like when one of the central vampires, Nandor the Relentless (Kayvan Novak), speaks with an accent so high-concept in its execution that it's sure to make you smile, and possibly even laugh out loud. Or when Nandor and his two roommates, Laszlo (Matt Berry) and Nadja (Natasia Demetriou), hiss at one another when annoyed.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bastard-machine/praise-absurdism-tick-what-we-do-shadows-critic-1201324

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anyway to legally watch Wellington ?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Empress Brosephine posted:

If you're in Australia or NZ you can watch it on TV-on-demand. If you're not, you're poo poo out of luck! They did release a DVD (non-US format) and a blu-ray but you'd probably have to import it.

The other not-quite-so-illegal option is to go watch a lovely blurry version on a video site like dailymotion.com!

No really, fuckin watch this:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6s1hd7

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Empress Brosephine posted:

It's not a huge loss if you don't.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It's not a huge loss if you don't.

Ignore This, WP is great and even has a WWDITS sequel episode of sorts.

counterfeitsaint posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > What We Do in the Shadows "HUMAN FORM!"

I'm dead.

I lost it at that. So Matt Berry.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I like to imagine that's his response whenever he sees himself in a mirror after waking up.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Uhh he's a vampire

(note I don't actual know if we've seen reflections or not)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

There was a scene where Nandor was helping Guillermo 'fly' by holding him up in front of a mirror so it looked like he was floating in the reflection

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

A Fancy Hat posted:

He's absolutely perfect. It's almost scary how well they've distilled so many annoying personality traits into one character and yet made him a highlight of the show.

I was hoping that they'd keep it ambiguous if he was actually a vampire or just some annoying guy, but that epic emotional battle was hilarious and totally worth it.

He's something at least. I'm pretty sure in the latest episode he was doing something in the mirror (shaving I believe?) and the reflection looked like a blue Uncle Fester.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Uhh he's a vampire

They didn't have reflections in the movie though I don't know if they're sticking to a particular "canon".

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Uhh he's a vampire

Oh, I meant Matt Berry in general, not Laszlo.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
What's that sucking and puckering at the back of my head?

All: The witches rear end in a top hat

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

What's that sucking and puckering at the back of my head?

All: The witches rear end in a top hat

It's a bloody cursed hat!

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I think this is my new favourite show. At least comedy anyway. The humour is just so satisfying and understated at times but can get silly too. Nice blend.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

That was a really sweet ending too, with Nandor briefly called Guillermo his "friend", and Laszlo taking the hat off at the end so he didn't flatline.

I also really liked Colin's "cape" (his poncho)

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I also really liked Colin's "cape" (his poncho)

Oh man I didn't even think of that.

I'm quite a fan of Sam the familiar.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Good to see Energy Vampire joining the main cast, at least for now. He could've been a one-time thing

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So did the filmcrew just hang out in the dorm and filmed as Jenna "died":stare:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alhazred posted:

So did the filmcrew just hang out in the dorm and filmed as Jenna "died":stare:

Yeah but they knew what was going to happen next.

Fartington Butts posted:

I'm quite a fan of Sam the familiar.

They introduced a bunch of characters that had a lot of potential (Count Rapula!!) but it looks like they killed most of them off. Simon survived (which is how Laszlo got his hat back) and I hope Sam also made it. :ohdear:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I liked the extent of Simon's 'clan'. Count Rapula! Mr. 50s! Len the Accountant!

I also hope to see more of the other familiars a little bit. I liked the one (Bobby?) that Guillermo was chatting with who suddenly dropped his voice way lower to put on the 'dad' facade.

Out of all the little bits, Nandor lifting and carrying Guillermo around the parlor so he could look in the mirror and pretend he was flying was :3:

"As the life drained out of him, his last words were 'take my hat, it's cuuuu-'"
'Yes, it is cool. Free hat!'

On a related note, I finally watched Four Lions, and spent the whole movie wondering where I knew the one actor from. Turned out it was Nandor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LadyPictureShow posted:

I also hope to see more of the other familiars a little bit. I liked the one (Bobby?) that Guillermo was chatting with who suddenly dropped his voice way lower to put on the 'dad' facade.

Colby! He left before the explosion so we might see him again, it'd be a fun sideplot if Guillermo started hanging around with other familiars more often.

Edit: also it look like "Lazslo and Nadjia can't keep their familiar alive for longer than an episode" is going to be a running joke. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 19, 2019