Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That was awesome. The Théatre bits were filmed at one of my favourite music venues, The Opera House down on Queen st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The guillotine looked extremely impractical

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

The guillotine looked extremely impractical

Probably reading too much into this, but I love the subtext of this series that immortality leads to people becoming lazy, dumb, and easily distracted by spectacle. Impractical? Pshaw, all about the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vlad stopping to say,"No need to clap, we're vampires, we can all do that" in regards to his moving fast to look like he was teleporting trick was great.

Also I'm so glad he seems to have gotten his mojo back with the Vampire Community after reconciling with.... THE BEAST.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Oof, I’m old and boring because I immediately got, and laughed at, Collin Robinson’s Bob Uecker joke.

Also lol at guessing Guillermo’s last name being Greenberg.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Don't have anything to add other than I thought that might have been the best episode of the series. They knocked it out of the park.

edit: Besides Jackie Daytona. I dunno how I forgot Jackie Daytona. and maybe Colin Robinson. maybe just let me retract this statement altogether and probate me for posting while baked

escape artist fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 13, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm not sure anything can top Jackie Daytona for me, but it was indeed a corker of an episode. Really liked how the Nandor/Guillermo codependency evolved this season, and it'll be really interesting to see where next season goes with the story. They could just shrug it back to the status-quo with a silly joke, or they could end up doing a big shift and take the show a new direction. Either way I'll be happy as long as the writing remains as good as it was this season.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm really hoping they just fully flip the power dynamic next season. Guillermo is now the only thing keeping the vampires alive, after all the poo poo they've given him he's pretty justified to give them some back. I predict he will say "Vampire hunter (insert thing here) only, Nander." at least once.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's a quick line but I laughed at Nadja saying, "Gizmo is much smaller than that" about the child dressed as Guillermo.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I have been laughing at the way Matt Berry pronounced the word "boners" in the most recent episode for 3 days, please send help.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I have been laughing at the way Matt Berry pronounced the word "boners" in the most recent episode for 3 days, please send help.

the way the three main vampires pronounce things in general, and each in a unique way, is a significant part of the reason why I love the show so much. even if there isn't a joke or anything going on, it's very fun just listening to them say things.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

DuhSal posted:

the way the three main vampires pronounce things in general, and each in a unique way, is a significant part of the reason why I love the show so much. even if there isn't a joke or anything going on, it's very fun just listening to them say things.

They each say “Colin Robinson” in their own way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Look Guillermo, creepy paper!"

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I watched the movie for the first time, and now I get some more references!

Also the movie was really good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Would love to hear your thoughts on how you think they compare, since I'm guessing most people saw the film first.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I've never seen the film. Guess I'm missing out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SirPablo posted:

I've never seen the film. Guess I'm missing out.

Please SirPablo I am begging you with every fiber of my being, please please God please watch the film. :pray:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Would love to hear your thoughts on how you think they compare, since I'm guessing most people saw the film first.

Well I think the show is better because we’ve had two seasons of character development so you have more familiarity.

That said, the movie was very funny, you can see the parallels in the characters, especially between nandor and viago, and if i had seen it first I might have had reservations about the first few episodes of the show. But I think they are great companions.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think the show is way better than the movie and I loving love the movie.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I saw the movie not long before the show came out because I'd never heard of it when my boyfriend told me 'It's getting turned into a show'.

I loved the movie, and I was down for checking out anything with Matt Berry in it, but wasn't sure if it could work in a running format.

I'm glad to have been so very wrong :allears:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I saw the movie around when it came out and loved it. Watched it again a few times since, and when I heard there was going to be a US-made and -set TV show, I was really skeptical, though Matt Berry's involvement is what made me interested enough to check it out. I think from the first episode I was sold. As much as I love the movie I think you can watch the TV show without it and not really miss anything.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I actually attended the US premiere of the film, which was just a screening for a bunch of comedy nerds. After the Q&A with Jemaine and Taika, they took us all to an afterparty at a high-end New York club with an open bar for the rest of the night. So it was just a bunch of nerds getting trashed at an incredibly noisy club with Jemaine and Taika standing around awkwardly in the midst with nobody talking to them. Felt amazingly apt.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Please SirPablo I am begging you with every fiber of my being, please please God please watch the film. :pray:

Can't even stream it anywhere right now. Unless you pay to rent it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

So it was just a bunch of nerds getting trashed at an incredibly noisy club with Jemaine and Taika standing around awkwardly in the midst with nobody talking to them.

If Brett McKenzie had been there I'd have assumed you'd accidentally walked into a Flight of the Conchords episode :allears:

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

SirPablo posted:

Can't even stream it anywhere right now. Unless you pay to rent it.

if you're keeping things legal, it's easily worth $3.99 to rent from Amazon Video. Knowing what the movie is like, I wouldn't have regretted it if I paid $4 to watch it once

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Some poo poo might go down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm-2lCgG6_Q

Please watch the movie!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wasn't Stu literally an IT guy with no acting training?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I think he was a buddy/old flatmate of Taika's? He asked him to come help out with some stuff on set, then asked if he wouldn't mind being an extra for background shots of some scenes but didn't really show him the script or anything and just filmed his natural reactions to all the weird poo poo going on :allears:

All the vampires genuinely liking Stu was such a great touch in the film :3:

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Arglebargle III posted:

Wasn't Stu literally an IT guy with no acting training?

Not just any IT guy, he came up with the tech for the kickass slow-mo lighting in Thor Ragnarok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IYx2aGv4Cc

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Rhys Darby is funny as hell imo

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Rhys Darby is funny as hell imo

His X-Files episode was one of the best, which is saying something considering it was from the generally-poo poo revival.

Also all of his Comedy Bang Bang episodes are must-listens.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Captain_Person posted:

Not just any IT guy, he came up with the tech for the kickass slow-mo lighting in Thor Ragnarok

Holy poo poo, really? That's loving awesome.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Jerusalem posted:

If Brett McKenzie had been there I'd have assumed you'd accidentally walked into a Flight of the Conchords episode :allears:

What’s happened to Brett McKenzie? Seems like everyone from flight of the conchords has done successful stuff where it seems like he hasn’t really done anything since?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Captain_Person posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IYx2aGv4Cc

This is my favorite scene in the movie. Valkyrie looks rightfully badass but it still conveys her trauma.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Brett is still working but decided to stay in New Zealand. He produces a lot of local theater stuff and I think has a movie deal in the works.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I think I've posted this before but the original short film is still on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB4ERbk0EVY

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Brett is still working but decided to stay in New Zealand. He produces a lot of local theater stuff and I think has a movie deal in the works.

Didn't he also win an Oscar (or was nominated?) for a song he produced for a movie?

Edit: Yeah he won Best Original song, that's not bad!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

He was my friend's neighbour for a little while, I think he's got young kids so he's not up to as much as Jemaine.

But he curated the New Zealand Festival earlier in the year, which was neat, and was the host of a concert that the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra performed with the Muppets a couple of years back (I ended up getting a free ticket/going to the afterparty because the girl I was seeing at the time painted a fish they were using as a prop).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Watching Blacula right now and there's a major plot point about how vampires don't show up on camera. I know it doesn't align with the lore as we've seen it in the movie or show, but it'd be hilarious if at the end the camera crew had a ton of unusable footage where only Guierrmo showed up on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Watching Blacula right now and there's a major plot point about how vampires don't show up on camera. I know it doesn't align with the lore as we've seen it in the movie or show, but it'd be hilarious if at the end the camera crew had a ton of unusable footage where only Guierrmo showed up on camera.

Just shots of Guillermo running around an empty theater throwing sticks 😂😂