Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I love Our Flag Means Death. I love it so much that I think I must have watched it at least 8 times now.

Also for both shows (spoilers for Season 3 finale of WWDITS and the season finale of OFMD) having both Nandor and Ed left behind while waiting for the people they were supposed to go away with just wrecked me. It must have been hosed up for people who finished WWDITS first to watch OFMD and slowly realize with dawning horror that it’s happening AGAIN :cry:

Waiting anxiously to hear if OFMD gets renewed, I’ve heard that the merger between networks and possible renegotiations because OFMD ended up being way more popular than they were probably expecting might be slowing things down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

oh HELL YES, I was just wondering about this yesterday when I was rewatching the film. I thought it’d come back in the fall so this owns

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

some people have suggested that they might be waiting to announce it for Pride month or until some of the buzz dies down (it’s been at the top of parrot analytics’ most in-demand series chart for 7 weeks straight now) although at this point i honestly don’t care when they announce it as long as it gets renewed

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

The World Inferno posted:

Agree. The only comparable show that came to mind was TOS Star Trek, in that the world of OFMD just *is* nicer than the one we live in. & most importantly it's not paraded in-universe as anything other than just the way they are. Like there isn't a scene in-show where it pats itself on the head for being progressive, it just is. And that's nice to see.

Exactly! And this is one of the many things that makes it resonate so much with fans. It feels genuine and positive in relation to the characters discovering more about themselves and their queerness. Like in episode 10 when Stede asks Mary what love feels like and when she's describing it to him he's thinking about him and Ed he looks so happy and then she's also happy for him and it's so wonderful oh god :cry:

One thing that I love is that it features queer characters in their 40s. This isn't to say that shows with younger characters (particularly teens) aren't important because they absolutely are, but there feels like there's a real lack of stories with older characters and it's so nice to see that, especially as someone who didn't realize a lot of things about themselves until their 30s. There is love and acceptance for you at any age. And you don't have to have everything sorted out right away, you can make major life changes (like becoming a pirate!) and find happiness later in life. And sometimes you're going to gently caress up but that's okay! You're doing fine :unsmith:

Anyway I've watched it 13 times now and I think it's done something to me, but something positive that makes me feel good about myself, lmao

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I would go to Blackbeard’s Bar & Grill & Other Delicacies & Fishing Equipment

Gift shop out back!

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

there's this one too!

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

looks like someone on the National Park Service official Instagram account watches OFMD:

:haw:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Also Izzy/Israel Hands, who was like 16 in 1717 and making him much older and loving exhausted with everything in this show was a good move imho

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Yep! The Blackbeard’s Bar & Grill conversation is also improvised iirc.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

OFMD ep 8: TURTLE CRAB FIGHT

And the best use of The Chain. :kimchi:

I love that episode so much! Will Arnett as Calico Jack shouting almost every line and being a complete rear end in a top hat was perfect. The scene with The Chain is my favorite In the whole show, it looks cool as hell and the way everything’s synced up to the music is great. Apparently they had to do it double time to get everything to look right, haha.

And the foot touch at the end :kimchi:

And! I didn’t notice this the first few times but at the very end of the episode you can see the Swede hiding in a barrel on the right when everyone’s getting arrested :lol:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Official OFMD Twitter posting coy poo poo at us today about keeping secrets 👀

https://twitter.com/OurFlagHBOMax/status/1531766208424357888?s=20&t=9IpKH94-zxkySJ0IhRxmCA

edit: regular HBO Max Twitter and both instagrams also posted about keeping secrets with scenes from this show today as well! 👀👀

HOLY FUCK fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 1, 2022

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/hbomax/status/1532044303538827264?s=20&t=dPied-jLERm1z1c8hrdHQw

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA🏴‍☠️ lmao I knew these fuckers were going to wait for Pride but I’m overjoyed anyway

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

drat, two seasons at once? :stare: that owns

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

:lmao: at Lucius frantically sketching it

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

looks like production for OFMD season two will start this October in NZ!

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah, I was sad to hear that.

Personally I’m hoping Frenchie offered him a Very Lucrative Business Opportunity and he ended up founding a massive knife MLM or something

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I was thinking about this too although we might not get season 2 until mid-late 2023 at the very least, would there be enough posting for its own thread or would it be better to wait until we have a season premiere date?

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

HOLY gently caress posted:

Personally I’m hoping Frenchie offered him a Very Lucrative Business Opportunity and he ended up founding a massive knife MLM or something

I totally forgot that the last time we see Ivan he’s guarding Jim so I wonder if it’s going to be Death by Jim although I hope maybe he’d be part of an escape plan or something instead idk

Or he helps Jim escape and then does the knife MLM :colbert:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I couldn’t really get into Wellington Paranormal. :smith: I tried, though

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I liked s3 too, but I’m really glad to hear that s4 is being received well!

12 days!!!!! :buddy:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Aaaaaa I’m so excited :neckbeard:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

So Our Flag Means Death was totally skunked at the Emmys, not even a SFX nod for the excellence that is Blackbeard's beard.

Yeah I really wasn’t expecting anything but one nomination would’ve been cool. I think HBO Max put them up for a ton of things for consideration too? (is that how it works? idk)

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I think the creature that crawled out of the corpse of their dead friend Colin Robinson might be specifically after something in the walls :tinfoil:

I laughed so much at "He's giving me little kisses! :haw:" followed by the shot of the raccoon trying to claw and bite her face off :allears:

it’s the giant raccoon broodmother, he’s trying to help free it! :haw:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

That reminds me of the Cloak of Duplication episode where he does everyone’s voices. So awesome :buddy:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I’m excited to meet Guillermo’s secret person. They’re going to look exactly like Nandor, I bet.

:lmao: I want this to happen. Bonus if they’re also played by Kayvan Novak

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Colin Robinson getting excited about lego and regular kid stuff was weirdly adorable and unsettling st the same time.

Also I really like the djinn and the scene with Nandor and Guillermo thoroughly negotiating Nandor’s massive dong wish and :lmao: that it resulted in Nandor thinking of Guillermo every time he uses it :haw:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I thought that episode was a lot of fun and loved the Night Market and the gnomes!! :3:

Also I feel bad for Marwa and hope she runs off with the djinn or something

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I get more of a “fed up with my dumbass boss” vibe from him rather than anything malicious

…at least so far, anyway!

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

oh my god, Nandor’s face :lmao:. How many times did it change during the episode, like 4 or 5?

Someone has tried to work out how many wishes Nandor has left (they haven’t updated it for the most recent episode yet though).

Also next week, more wedding stuff and definitely not jealous Guillermo! :haw:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Also their “human” outfits were great, especially Laszlo’s flame shirt and bucket hat :haw:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

The thread title change is perfect :allears:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

National Park Service account strikes again :haw:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I think you’re confused that was definitely not Nandor. I think you mean Adolpho, he is the butler (or some poo poo)

Or maybe Matthew, the groundskeeper?

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Staying off the internet for the three hours until the show airs on the West Coast is very difficult, I don’t know how I coped for other shows before moving to the US :pwn:

oh my god Nandor just run off with Guillermo already!!!

The Marwa scene with Guillermo!

I laughed when everyone started objecting and kept doing it for an hour. Also Colin carrying Nadja Doll down the aisle was very cute :3:

I loved Sean and Charmaine at the wedding and also I feel bad for Derek.

Oh and now “Who Will Come First on the Wedding Night?” Is stuck my head :mad:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

That song is still stuck in my head, too :negative:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Between this and OFMD it’s been so nice to have such unapologetically queer shows, I feel spoiled almost

i really want to make an OFMD thread but it feels way too early since the second season probably won’t be out for a good year should things not go to hell

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah, this is why I like discussing TV, I’m pretty loving dense sometimes so I miss things a lot. I didn’t realize the ad for Go Flip Yourself wasn’t real until people mentioned it here :dumb: (although to be fair I wasn’t 100% paying attention since it was during the ad break)

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Harvey Guillen is doing an AMA live chat on Reddit right now

edit: over now, but looks like he does them every week? Cool!

HOLY FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 11, 2022

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

someone turns Guillermo into a vampire and Nandor uses a wish to reverse it since he didn't do it himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Guillermo 🥹♥️:unsmith:

i liked that Nandor and Laszlo were wrong about a supernatural creature and Sean was right :haw:

Also seeing Marwa hang out and have fun with Nadja, Nadja Doll and The Guide was very heartwarming :3:

edit: oh I forgot seeing Guillermo’s family’s Slayer Powers activate made me legit worried about Nadja for a second, like yeah we knew they have slayer blood but if even one or two of them were also as terrifyingly competent as Guillermo then holy poo poo :stonk: we already saw Guillermo slaughter an entire room of vampires by himself, imagine what damage his family could do

HOLY FUCK fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 17, 2022