Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Rights shenanigans related to WWDITS have kept it antipodean only but yeah it's definitely available via :filez:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Oh gently caress yes. I don't care how you do it but everybody please try and find a way to watch the first two seasons, it's really great.

https://twitter.com/AJemaineClement/status/1361556112286228480

:allears:

Seconding this, the 70s Ghost Party in season 2 is incredible.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

"We have had a series of noise complaints. Yeah and I must also inform you that you're all deceased"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't know if it's the standard NZ self-deprecation but they have said they have had to scrape for two seasons of material.

I mean they're not wrong, the central premise is pretty thin, but the main characters just carry everything along and nothing overstays its welcome.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

"You're in the wrong suburb. Tower is not the place for you."
"Or anyone!"

:eng101: Tawa

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That was a great episode. I loved the bit where Minogue and O'Leary are in the bathroom trying to figure out why they can't see each other.

"I think I'm in the upside-down!"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

This got me:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

If there's anything I'm here for, it's a solid burn against Hamilton because it's a loving awful place.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Superrodan posted:

Not to be an rear end, but I'm wondering if you guys can make a different thread for Wellington or throw the references in spoilers. I've never seen it and plan to once a streaming platform gets the rights.

https://twitter.com/AJemaineClement/status/1373353559270453249?s=20

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Orange Carlisle posted:

I keep thinking there is what we do in the shadows news but this thread is now about another show?

It's a spin-off of the original movie starring the cops that came to investigate. It's pretty good!

Also Nick turns up in one episode, as well as the leading of the werewolves (not swearwolves)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Here you go, now you no longer have to go through what the rest of the world does when the US talks about stuff that's only aired there.

https://twitter.com/AJemaineClement/status/1374769647556255746?s=20

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I think binging Wellington Paranormal would make it get old pretty fast. It's not a deep or lore-focused show, the characters have zero depth, it's just a bunch of poo poo NZ cops dealing with the paranormal in the same way they deal with everything else. It's great on a weekly basis.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

How are they poo poo

They never really arrest or stop in any meaningful way anything they run into it's pretty great

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/AJemaineClement/status/1420254241344561152?s=20
Wellington Paranormal doing surprisingly well in the US

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

By design, all of the episodes have pretty much the same humour and structure so yeah, if you don't like it by now, don't bother.

For my money, the Disco Ghosts episode is the best one.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

They're finally going to show us the uncensored Taniwha loving from Wellington Paranormal

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

I love that the vampires of WWinS are basically Vampire: The Masquerade player characters.

The original movie is EXACTLY like WoD LARPs in New Zealand in the 90s, right down to the Unholy Masquerade being held at a bowling club.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That's a good point, the fact that there are some Nosferatu where the condition manifests as "That doesn't seem so bad, if you wore a wig to cover your pointy ears and bald head you'd just look like a human with a mild skin condition and could probably walk around in public without anyone batting an eye" or "You look downright badass! You could be the lead singer in a death metal band!" and other Nosferatu where it manifests as "Oh my GOD what the gently caress!? Did you just get hit by a car?!" or "You're covered in open sores!!! How are you even alive?!" really does make an already unfair deal even more unfair and cruel.

Some Nosferatu get hosed over more than others and there's no rhythm or reason as to who gets screwed over the most.

The pro move is to look hideous but constantly use obfuscate to appear normal until you need it for shock value.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

gently caress, this should be the actual ending

"Who ARE you?"
"Oh, I'm Sarah"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Quick, someone pay him to re-dub all of Lazlo's dialogue

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/HARVEYGUILLEN/status/1463535807554326529?s=20

:kimchi:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/meladoodle/status/1485899063749148674?s=20

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/WellyParanormal/status/1493147124757762050?s=20&t=llDBYXHKr9YZczkLRIz0dw

:eyepop:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

New Wellington was great.

"I met her on an internet bird forum"
"Oh so that's what Twitter is!"

"Are you into birds?"
"Oh you know, I dabble"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Just watched season 2, and really the only thing anyone says is O'leary's mom saying she was on the softball team and never had any boys come over, just girls.

Maybe they get more direct in later seasons, but haven't seen those yet.

There's nothing direct but they do keep implying that O'Leary is gay (and it helps that the actor that plays her is gay)

Wellington Paranormal SE1E6 posted:

MINOGUE: What about her over there, black t-shirt. She a zombie?
O'LEARY: No, I think she's just a lesbian.
MINOGUE: You always seem to be able to pick them, O'Leary
O'LEARY: (looking at camera) Well I don't know...

EDIT: The actor has said in an interview that she thinks it's pretty obvious that her character is gay, but I'm not sure how much of that is just how it feels when her real life is bleeding into her often improvised character.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 12, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

a seagull posted:

In my mind New Zealand is exactly as presented in Flight of the Conchords and I will never accept anything else.

it's actually just like Wellington Paranormal.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

He's also got a great part in Blue Beetle.

and the voice of Nightwing in Harley Quinn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I think the worst that can be said is that some episodes are not as good as others. But all of them have had moments that made me laugh out loud