Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Really great pilot, I hope they can keep it up throughout the whole season. It weaves so effortlessly between the dramatic and the comedic, I really hope they do more with the baron, honestly I love the few bits of actual lore they throw in here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

"I call that Nadja's theme" was not like a super funny joke, but it was loving clever as poo poo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I also urge everyone to somehow check out Wellington Paranormal. It's a shame it's not widely available, because it's really loving funny and has some WWDITS cameos as well.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Captain_Person posted:

I'd be really interested to hear how Wellington Paranormal is received internationally because it seems so specifically Kiwi.

Hallway through the first episode I lost it when I realised it was going to center around that dumb bucket fountain.

I loved it - I obviously don't know anything about NZ culture, but it's generally broad enough to apply to any other similar provincial location, I think. The whole show is built around just, like, regular people reacting to the supernatural, and the local flavour gives it a ton of personality that's very specific, but also pretty relatable. Like I could totally envision a similar scenario happening with a dumb sculpture in my own hometown.

The guy who plays the sergeant is so loving funny, holy poo poo.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 4, 2019

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'll agree with it definitely being the weakest episode so far, but a lot of good Laszlo moments still.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is this the episode you weren't meant to watch if you're a conservative prude? Because maybe I am one cos I thought it was just alright, not as good as usual. Everything Guillermo was too obvious, and I dunno we've been awkward in the joke shop before. I dunno.

No, that's next episode. Which is another Taika/Clemaine joint, and also the season finale? So should go out with a bang, hopefully.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is like dark Joe Pera

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey trip report the new Stephen Moffat Dracula miniseries is exactly as bad as you'd expect.

Yeah, it's truly awful. I feel like the guy playing Dracula would have a ton of fun in WWDITS though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

My only real problem with this show is their use of CGI. I don't know if it's due to the budget or what, but for the most part the movie used practical effects and it worked so much better than most of the effects they do on this show. Obviously it's needed for scenes like the one with the troll and that was fine, but like this episode had Colin Robinson slipping on blood and they used an incredibly bad looking green screen shot for some reason??

It's not a huge deal, but it pulls me out of the show whenever it happens. Like the gag earlier in the season where Laszlo is bouncing around on cars might have been the lowest point because it just looked so, so bad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That movie is stone cold Good, IMO. Its main problem is being 90s as gently caress, but I certainly think it adds to the charm.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The movie ends with Brad Pitt cutting a bunch of vampires in half with a scythe, it's awesome.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I would not say it is a good adaptation, but it is bad in an entertaining way at least. The guy playing Dracula is having a really good time. The last episode just goes so far off the rails it has to be seen to be believed. There's one plot point that actually feels like it came straight out of WWDITS

Dracula is trapped in a super prison built by the descendants of the Harkers who have a whole secret society in the modern day that exists just to deal with Dracula's return. How does he escape? Well, they give him a tablet to read up on modern history, which is not connected to the internet, but he correctly guesses that the wifi password is "Dracula", and calls a lawyer (Renfield) to come let him out or else he will call the police. Everyone at the Harker institute or whatever is just like "oh well we can't do anything to stop this."

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I dunno folks, all this goonish making GBS threads on Dracula makes me want to watch it now.

I honestly think it's worth a watch just because it's so bizarre and insane. I enjoyed the first two episodes even though you can easily break down a bunch of stuff that doesn't make sense. It is very comparable to Sherlock in that it is insanely indulgent in every way.

If nothing else it is pretty unforgettable. I still occassionally use the phrase "bloofer lady" which is used several times in a key emotional moment in the third episode, and it's just, How Did This Get Made.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wellington season 3 has been really strong so far, better than season 2 by my estimation!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Y: The Last Man seems like such an outdated property for this day and age. I can't wait for them to dodge the question of what happened to trans people.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Does being trans remove or add a chromosome?

That's not really the point, moreso the fact that the concept raises a lot of :biotruths: question about what counts as a real man/woman and whatnot. But whatever, that's not about WWDITS, sorry for bringing it up.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

These episodes were not super funny compared to the overall average of the show, but I liked them anyway. This might come back to bite me later on, but I like how they are actually butting up against the lore of the show - the vampire council, what the gently caress is an energy vampire, the whole bit with the first vampire, everything with Guillermo, Nadja actually going out to solve vampire council problems with her vampire powers instead of just doing random sitcom stuff, anarchs (!), etc. If nothing else it shows how much thought they are putting into everything. Kristen Schaal is also great, I hope she stays around as a regular member.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 5, 2021

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The first couple of episodes this season were a bit weak, but everything since then has been straight up bangers. I don't think it's missed a beat at all. I'd take 5 more seasons of this level of quality.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kristen Schaal is the best new addition to this show, she's terrific.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Laszlo playing the background music is a thing that has popped up a few times over the course of the series, but it never fails to make me happy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I wouldn't say the show is a full on black comedy, but it is playing in that space for sure, like the movie also ended happily for (most of) the crew even though they were monsters. Making the characters pay seriously for their crimes probably won't happen unless it's really funny.

Edit: Although ending with a Dinosaurs-style finale where everyone dies might be good also.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 4, 2021

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Buffy bursts in and stakes everyone

gently caress, this should be the actual ending

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

grittyreboot posted:

Does Disney+ show more mature content in other countries? In the U.S. they only do PG-13 and lower stuff.

The Disney+ app here (Denmark) proudly displays The Last Duel in the top banner at this very moment, the movie that features two full rape scenes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bowmore posted:

Well he was meant to be a complete joke of a person

Billy Kimber is not really a major character anyway. But most characters in Peaky Blinders have extremely exaggerated accents. Special shout outs go to Adrian Brody playing the most Italian mobster that ever existed.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wellington Paranormal S4 was really good. RIP that show. Centering the finale around Maaka was a good move, that dude was always a highlight.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Not really a problem or anything but I feel like OFMD actually deserves its own thread

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

O'Leary is pretty clearly openly gay? They hint at it a lot, but I also feel like they basically say it outright at least a couple of times.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Good episodes, but I hope they quickly get past the thing that crawled out of the dead corpse of Colin Robinson and make him an actual character again. Feels like a voice is missing here.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I wasn't too into the first two episodes because they were lacking Colin Robinson, but the night market episode was amazing and this episode was too. An all-timer Nadia episode.

"Beow beow I couldn't possibly say anything, but Lionel loving Barrymore's kids might just go here beow beow"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked the individual parts of this season a lot but not the overaching plots. The vampire nightclub would have been a good thing to focus on for one episode. The djinn would have been a good thing to focus on for one episode. Nandor's estranged wife would've been a good thing to focus on for one episode. None of these things needed to be run into the ground quite so much. Also it bugs me that they went through this whole Colin Robinson ordeal just to hit the reset button at the end.

These are not huge issues - the important thing is that the show is funny, which it very much still is. I just wish they'd do more self-contained episodes I guess.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Brand New Cherry Flavour is not a strict comedy, but it is often very funny, and Rosa Salazar is amazing in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I love it when the show just goes from complete looney tunes to being kinda dark like with them murdering that entire restaurant, S+ season.