Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Well, that was excellent. Between this and UK's Ghosts it's been a good year for horror comedy shows!

Yes 2 is a good year for horror comedy.

Also, I've never seen Only Lovers Left Alive. I didn't know Tilda Swinton was ever a vampire in anything. Time to get a watching.

After the show we sat here thinking of other famous vampire actors that they could get to make cameos (Eddie Murphy, Jim Carrey, Beverly D'Angelo as an ancient).

What's nice is that Taika's Q score is flying up right now which means not only would FX renew the show, but as his movies do better each time he should keep being able to pull in people for the show that would want to work with him. Give him 2 more seasons and another Thor billion dollar movie and Tom and Brad might be asking to show up.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Enderzero posted:

I’m hoping they keep having him accidentally kill vampires as a running gag.

I can’t believe they got Wesley Snipes and put him on a Skype call. I love this show.

...Wesley Skypes...

*bows

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

His best prior work is probably in The IT Crowd.

if Toast of London didn't exist. Let him finish people!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eat This Glob posted:

i called that joke when he talked about 1992 and I'm kind of floored I did.

Also, I started watching AP Bio over the weekend and I really appreciated Collin Robinson

If you haven't yet, check out Dream Corp LLC. He plays an agoraphobic that lives and works in the bottom of a company that goes into dreams to work out their clients' issues. His best friend is a robot played by Stephen Merchant.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

stratofarius posted:

I only hope to do a good episode of the show in case Nickelodeon accepts What We Do in the Shadows specs next semester...

They generally accept other Viacom properties. That way if your script is good enough for the writing program then you may actually get a script bought. WWDitS is a fox/disney product. I have a American Dad spec script waiting until the July 31st date when they let people know what's what. Wish me luck!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...how and where do you submit these, exactly? Do you need to already have an agent to get in contact with people, or is it an open submission?

Google "Nickelodeon writing program". It will take you to the right page, but you'll have to wait until January (iirc) to enter. Always keep a look out. Comedy Central did an open cartoon submission pitch last year. I made 2 animatics for it (neither was that funny). I didn't get picked but the NDA won't be lifted until the end of the month.

Cartoon Network, NBC, hbo, fx have all had open submissions in the past.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Superrodan posted:

This is fantastic news.

It is. It might not be as laugh a minute as WWDitS, but I love that all three lead characters are different types of slow thinkers. The subtle stupidity gets me every time.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My writing partner and I turned in a spec script to Scriptapalooza and Script Pipeline that had a part where Laszlo was feeding a fire with books from their library and pulls out a history of erotica and decides to put it back on the shelf to save.

We didn't place this year (last year we quarterfinaled for an American Dad script) and now I want a rejudge after that last episode. Great start, but if Nandor battles a washing machine in this season then I will sit here with my arms folded and my brow wrinkled, I'm warning all of you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Started season 3. This feels like a different writing staff. All the characters kind of feel off. Colin Robinson the most so with the first couple where he feels like he's being actively malicious rather than just banal.

That's because it is! I feel the same way, but generally just didn't want to dump on the thread which seems to be enjoying it still. To me, this season is far more wacky and less witty and a few of the characters don't feel like they made a natural progression from the end of s2. Guillermo as a vampire bodyguard seemed like a good idea, but we just get goofy Guillermo as the mastermind of the house. That seems unearned and a bit of a jump from the subserviently meak Guillermo that was coming into his own as a badass vampire hunter in the finale for s2. He went from an awesome vampire hunter that was unsure of himself to the god king of the idiot vampires. It's a bit of a leap.

The other characters have their issues too. Colin stands out to me the most. He no longer tries to drain and annoy in the same way he did before. They really have no idea what to do with the energy vampire that they created, and also he's apparently incredibly stupid this season. He played dumb in the past to annoy (knowing winks and nods to the camera in s1 and 2) and now he's just dumb. It reminds me of when I saw Mike Reiss talk about the evolution of Homer Simpson. I'm paraphrasing here but he said something along the lines of "when we created Homer he was about as dumb as your own dad. Now's he's about as dumb as your shoe." I liked it better when the show and jokes were a bit more clever.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 21, 2021