Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really enjoyed that, especially the deviation from the film with the vampire couple. Matt Berry was excellent of course but I was pleasantly surprised by Natasia Demetriou, especially the stuff with her and Gregor-Jeff ("I forgot what a raconteur you were!") - really, the whole cast were good ("Creepy paper!"), and the Baron's sudden pause when he notices the camera crew was golden.

For whatever reason, what made me laugh the most was Matt Berry's delivery on,"This place is loving massive!" when talking about America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Something I loved is that, even though Nandor thought it had been 2 years instead of 10, he at least knows Guillermo well enough that he made him look like Antonio Banderas in his glitter portrait :3:

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Never got around to seeing the movie. The commercials for the show didn't make the show out to look appealing.....but I'll give it a shot. Flight of the Conchords was a really solid show.

Obviously you're gonna get skewed feedback from a thread for a tv show based on the movie... but the movie is really, really, really, really loving good and you should check it out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I haven't seen the movie since right after it came out on video. Are these the same characters?

Same basic concept, different characters and location. Jemaine Clement wrote the first episode and Taika Waititi directed, so it'll be interesting to see how the other episodes work. I think Clement is directing most if not all of them, but not writing any more?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nadja lamenting that her beloved Gregor was beheaded, then like 15 minutes later casually revealing SHE was the one who beheaded him (and finished banging him anyway!) was loving great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm sure you've all seen it before, but seriously nothing beats Matt Berry's introductory scene in The IT Crowd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP7LHHR91lE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

First half of the episode was okay but a bit of a step down from last week, but goddamn did they crush it in the back half. All three of them had great sub-stories and Nandor trying to call to Doug.... Peter....s? son? Doug Peterson through the ether was great. The way he points to himself in delight after the reference to the Slouching Beast :kiss:

"Is this a message from MS-13?" was the line of the night for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"I can't stand up right now, if you know what I mean :haw:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Another great episode, loved the proudly multi-ethnic werewolf pack but the Evie/Colin subplot was the highlight. Also Nadja continues to deliver with her weirdness, that little tour of the lair was great: "I hate this loving goat."

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Remind me to send you that Slate article on the millennial housing crisis.

That was loving incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved how the werewolf woman would basically go from 0-100 in the blink of an eye in terms of being aggressive.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What was so vulgar anyway, I mean it's not like it was Laszlo's sister's vulva.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Every week I am relieved that the spark is still there and by this point I'm pretty satisfied the show is going to make it as its own thing beyond the novelty of being an adaptation of the film. Simon introducing his crew was fantastic, it just kept going!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I did a cursory google such of it, and couldn't believe that it was 50 years old. I totally thought it was some indie song from the last couple of years.

Had the exact same reaction when I first saw the movie and the song got trapped in my head.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We still have :psypop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It's amazing how an otherwise prosaic Boring Office Guy gag is suddenly endlessly funny just by making him a vampire.

I still laugh every so often thinking of,"REMIND ME TO SEND YOU AN ARTICLE I READ ON SLATE ON THE MILLENNIAL HOUSING CRISIS!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love how cheap but perfect it was that he tells us he got bit, teleports directly to the camera, shows his finger which is unmarked, and says,"But it's already healed, see!"

Edit: Also, "Is this a message from MS-13?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

(though I feel like one's missing)

It might be that when it mentions Little Vlad, it doesn't point out that he's a loving maniac!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

I liked how Jeff's "Gregor" voice was pretty much him doing a Chris Hemsworth Thor impression.

It sounded like an impression of Chris Pratt doing a Chris Hemsworth Thor impression to me, which made it even better :allears:

Nadja casually vomiting a jetstream of liquid vomit from a single piece of popcorn ala Let The Right One In was great. I think my biggest laugh though probably came from,"Run free my comra-WHAT THE gently caress!?!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Buller posted:

Cats attacking him was a Let The Right One In reference too.

Speaking of the cats, I loved them talking back to him in Animal Control :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also, sorry for the double post but Buller's post made me immediately want to make this:

https://streamable.com/i5c3t

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

YaketySass posted:

Perfect. I'm glad people remember that scene, it was weird as hell.

I hope everybody has seen Let The Right One In (I think it got an American remake which by all accounts was awful), it's such a superb film.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Alan G posted:

Agreed. It’s really under appreciated and is closer to the book in plot if not location than the original film

I recall the author being concerned that Let The Right One In heavily suggests that the vampire was simply grooming Oskar as a replacement for Håkan and writing a sequel that expressly counters that take. I actually really like LTROI's interpretation though, if only because it's such a dark take on the rather obvious (and creepy as gently caress, if you think about it) romance between the two.

I assume Let Me In is more obviously in line with the author's intent?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I wasn't really feeling it at first but after they did shots the episode just nailed scene after scene utterly hilariously. The vampires attempting to explain that they were on drugs to the documentary crew was the best.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell yes this is great news, I'm so glad this beautiful show is being appreciated.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

loving hell those cameos were great. Most shows would have been happy with just Garrett (the vampire)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm going to go ahead and recklessly assume The Ancient One joins the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I haven't seen Only Lovers Left Alive yet either, I should pr-

Escobarbarian posted:

a Jim Jarmusch movie

Oh motherfucker why the gently caress haven't I seen this? :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

beefart posted:

I am so loving glad we got to see Deacon doing another erotic dance.

I'm just glad the Staten Island guys didn't face the worst punishment imaginable for killing the Baron: The Procession of Shame.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kayvan Novak who plays Nandor was in Four Lions which is a great film, definitely worth checking out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Apparently Cate Blanchett was on the list to be on the Vampire Council too, then Taika Waititi found out she hadn't played a vampire before and told her she wasn't allowed :xd:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The peek-a-boo bit at the party was great, and I dug that they actually foreshadowed her power by Lazlo not spotting her when he first walked in the room, which I had assumed was just a joke about him being an rear end in a top hat (turns out that was an unrelated matter!)

Edit: Also:

Lazlo: Why would you wear cologne?
Colin: To annoy you.
Lazlo: Fair enough.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 16, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Being immortals also doesn't really help to be particularly cognizant of passage of time. Garrett (the vampire) thought he'd been in a room for 1000 years when it had only been 90. Nandor thinks Guillermo started as a familiar like 2 years ago when it's actually been 10 which was the agreed timeframe for his service.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God this next episode is going to be incredible.

Alhazred posted:

I thought that the joke was that it was boring to be in the room that it felt like a 1000 years.

That too, but being immortal does mean that their perspective on time is gonna be skewed: like Nandor not grasping that something might have happened to his country in the 600+ years since he was last there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The final shot of Laszlo and Nadja was incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Gizmo, did you get the dildos? Gizmo, try the dildos! Gizmo did you use the dilos? Gizmo how were the dildos!? ........ :sigh: ......they were fine."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The thing is, I'm not sure if Laszlo is actually capable of feeling shame. Nadja might be, but she's more likely to express that through anger and revenge!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ultimately, they're happy just having a two person shame bat orgy on their own :3:

You know what, you're right, good for them :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We better see some witches coming for Nandor's sperm next season :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I got an excited message from my mother about this wonderful new show she discovered that she wanted me to watch: it was this one :3:

My mom's got good loving taste :cheers:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

And was a really important part of Better Call Saul.

Oh holy gently caress was he the pie-sitter!?! :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good luck, your spec for WWDITS sounds really great :)