Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

That's what I thought at first too, but it makes more sense that Nandor did it off screen to appease Guillermo for a funny bait and switch gag, since the viewer was expecting him getting abandoned again.

He didn't do it to appease Guillermo, it was because he committed to following through on his promise to Guillermo, and to do that honestly he would have to follow through on his promise to the old guy. Nandor is growing.

Though it was really to show the audience that he will eventually follow through on his promise to Guillermo. Even if it's a long, long, long time from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love this show for so many reasons, but the one that surprises me the most is how much mileage they get out of Colin. When I first started watching I really wondered how they were going to stretch his bit out longer than a single episode. But they just keep knocking it out of the park.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hopefully we'll finally get Wellington Paranormal on a streaming service to tide us over.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Super weird to hear some people not liking Guillermo's story after watching the show in a vacuum up until now. To me he feels like the heart of the show, and going back to the film just makes that all the more apparent. I think the film is on average funnier than the show, but as a character piece it's somewhat lacking in comparison. Part of that is down to not having as much time to develop those characters, plus the personality contrast between the characters on the show feels much greater, but the film only briefly deals with the familiar's plight, which is resolved pretty quickly and without much fanfare, and I think that's in it's detriment. I feel it's down to a question of stakes (hisss!) where with these immortal characters, watching them go about their day-to-day is fun and goofy but ultimately just a chill hangout kind of thing as a viewer. But Guillermo has such a limited amount of time to win Lazlo over—and the consequences of him getting caught are so high—that it gives the show a momentum that it would otherwise lack.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm not sure anything can top Jackie Daytona for me, but it was indeed a corker of an episode. Really liked how the Nandor/Guillermo codependency evolved this season, and it'll be really interesting to see where next season goes with the story. They could just shrug it back to the status-quo with a silly joke, or they could end up doing a big shift and take the show a new direction. Either way I'll be happy as long as the writing remains as good as it was this season.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Would love to hear your thoughts on how you think they compare, since I'm guessing most people saw the film first.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I actually attended the US premiere of the film, which was just a screening for a bunch of comedy nerds. After the Q&A with Jemaine and Taika, they took us all to an afterparty at a high-end New York club with an open bar for the rest of the night. So it was just a bunch of nerds getting trashed at an incredibly noisy club with Jemaine and Taika standing around awkwardly in the midst with nobody talking to them. Felt amazingly apt.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Watching Blacula right now and there's a major plot point about how vampires don't show up on camera. I know it doesn't align with the lore as we've seen it in the movie or show, but it'd be hilarious if at the end the camera crew had a ton of unusable footage where only Guierrmo showed up on camera.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, it's fun but it's interesting how low-energy the whole thing is compared to what came after. I think it's biggest issue is that the characters aren't particularly differentiated from each other yet, so it ends up being fairly flat. Still, it's better to have more of this universe.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I mean the production values are solid outside of the occasionally spotty effect, but it's clearly a fairly low-budget show overall. I'd imagine they're generally able to keep costs down by using the house as the primary location, but if they have to cheap out on an effect or two here and there to do a more ambitious gag I'm fine with that. I'd rather have them go for it and have it look a bit cartoony than to have them cut a joke for being beyond their scope.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I went back and watched some Flight of the Conchords episodes recently and was surprised at how dated it felt. The comedy is still brilliant, but the production values are a lot worse than I remembered—and not in an intentional lo-fi indie kind of way. I guess they had to stretch the budget because the musical sequences were often so elaborate, but it leaves the rest of the show feeling a bit closer to a student film than felt flattering. Season 2 feels a bit sharper, but it's also not quite as tight as the first.

Plus the gay panic humor really doesn't hold up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, that was the consensus about both the second season and the second album at the time. I think the second album actually holds up a bit better than the first because of its additional musical variety and its lackadaisical attitude, but the second season isn't quite as inventive as the first and occasionally feels like they're trying a bit too hard to recapture the magic. But in retrospect I think on average it's just about as good as the first—it's just that fans of the time were absorbing both new songs and a new season at the same time which made it difficult to parse and separate.

I should revisit the Conchords BBC radio show sometime, though. I wonder how much that holds up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really hope they got Snipes via his Cameo for $500. The footage certainly looks like it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's v rad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Who's the mustachioed dork?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I shaved my mustache last week, thank you very much.

Also, Natasia mentioned that Jeff is still alive with his unfinished business. I really hope he comes back next season just to get his rear end ghost-busted.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
On a lesser show, Colin would be a one-note gag. But here he ends up elevating the show more than any other single element.

I love them all, but Matt Berry is just impossible to beat in my book. I just think pompous assholes are the funniest drat thing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"Well, it turns out that Guillermo killing most of the vampires in the area took a lot of pressure off of us. I never really realized how much the weight of the vampire community's expectations was really toxic. Nadja and I have joined a bowling league!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hell yeah. I was worried it would go to Paramount+ or something. Pumped to binge it all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've waited this long, I can wait a bit longer.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The most realistic one I think is Rhys Darby.

But second choice is Gregor.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Y: The Last Man seems like such an outdated property for this day and age. I can't wait for them to dodge the question of what happened to trans people.

Y had trans men in the comic. They don't have a Y chromosome so they weren't affected. Trans women presumably were all killed because they have a Y chromosome. It's literally in the title.

And I just burned through all of Creamerie last night and it was terrific—so no, to the concept isn't outdated. I was definitely wondering if they were going to mention trans women at all, but its narrative was small and focused enough that the lack of inclusion wasn't particularly missed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

That's exactly the problem.

He is, in no way, the last man.

I loves me some Y, but it's trans exclusionary as all hell. The trans men of which you speak weren't even called trans men, if I recall correctly. They read more as cis lesbian sex workers who dressed up as men for their clients.

The show should deal with it more responsibly than the book, but I'm preparing myself for disappointment.

Well, I'm not sure that faulting it for being called "The Last Man" because there are trans men still out there is all that fair because we meet several other living Y-chromosomal males over the course of the narrative so it was never meant to be taken literally. But that's just nitpicking really, because your larger point is true for sure, yeah. It wasn't particularly progressive in its moment, but its sexual politics haven't aged well.

I'm not terribly optimistic about the show because a lot of the exciting talent departed the production ages ago, but there was an interview with Michael Green where he talked about them delaying production because they wanted to rewrite the show in the light of the social and political atmosphere of the Trump administration. So at least at one point in the production they were looking to deepen it rather than just adapt it straight.

Anyway, I think Creamerie does a fairly good job with it all, but also doesn't confront some of the more nuanced aspects of the concept. Hopefully the second season does. It's to Y's detriment that its main character is a man, and to Creamerie's benefit that its main characters aren't. I hope it gets a wider release sometime soon—I've recommended it to a half a dozen people who have all really liked it, but nobody had heard of it and it doesn't even have a Wikipedia page yet. Hopefully it's not overshadowed by Y's release. But seeing how it took 3 years to get Wellington Paranormal over here with significantly bigger name talent behind it, I'm not optimistic.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 8, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It doesn't sound like it's directly addressing Trump or his administration, but just the political atmosphere post-election:

The Hollywood Reporter posted:

While Green was reluctant to share concrete details, he did reveal that Trump’s victory slowed the pilot script. “It would have been a very different show, and very different development process, had the election not been as horrifying as it was,” Green said. “I had to put the script down for a couple months and really reassess it tonally, because it became a different creature, it became violent protest. It couldn’t not be political, and I had to embrace it, and I had to find my way in, and I had to find a way to channel my own dismay, disappointment and rage into it, while still keeping it what it is. For a minute there I almost walked away.”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfhbvsnR9Y0

Yesss

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's damned good information to have.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:siren:Season 4 renewal.:siren:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This show continues to be good and I like it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It all tracks for me. He's an awkward dweeb who unexpectedly became a vampire. As he pointed out, nobody gives you a handbook on how to be cool and sexy—authentic Victorian clothes are probably pretty hard to come by on a budget.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This season is good. That being said, it's less gag-heavy and more serialized than before. It's inching into sitcom territory, whereas before it leaned more into the mockumentary side of things. I can see it resonating with someone less, even if I don't mind the new direction.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, the fact that standard suburban life is far more mundane than anything an energy vampire can come up with is hilarious.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, I have a feeling that the rug will be pulled out from under them. The stuff with Schaal seems so convenient that I'm expecting a twist.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Taika Waititi probably got more clout than Banderas at this point. Wave a sackfull of money and it'd almost definitely happen

I don't think this show exactly has sackfuls of money to spare.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sentinel posted:

I keep wondering if were gonna see if this becomes a thing or not. like if we find out if he's gay straight or just ambiguously uptight.
Or if its just kristen schaal being awesome. Her turning into a perm character this season still blows my mind.

I hope they keep him ambiguously uptight.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I had to pause and just crack up for a minute at that.

This show is so good and we are so lucky to have it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I would prefer more crew stuff. Not, like, characterizing them or anything, but I'd love to see a boom guy get dragged on screen and eaten by a Jersey Devil or somesuch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yess :twisted:

quote:

What We Do In The Shadows Season 4 Will Introduce More 'Ambitious' Creatures

On October 10, 2021, executive producer Paul Simms stopped by New York Comic-Con to chat about the show and answer fan questions. While he didn't divulge much about season 4, according to ScreenRant, he did say that the next season would include the show's "most ambitious" creatures yet, taking our beloved vampires deeper into the supernatural menagerie in which they live.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I would like to see The Creature from the Black Gowanus Canal

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't want him to become a vampire, but I would love to see him become some other kind of supernatural creature that the show hasn't covered yet. Especially since the showrunner said that they wanted more monsters next season. What are some European monsters? He could become a bugbear, or a draugar, or a leprechaun...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

her character just felt superfluous for a lot of her appearances.

Can't disagree. I'm not unhappy she was there, but she was so superfluous and underdeveloped that I was expecting some big twist with her. She felt less like a character and more like a plot device to keep the story moving, and I don't think the quality of the season would have been affected at all had she not been there. Also kinda feel the same way about the Nadja doll, but I think that one works better because it just adds some occasional color to the world.

I could write out a fairly long list of nitpicks about this season, but at the end of the day it was still my favorite show of the year and I'm on board for whatever they want to throw at me next. I just hope it's a little bit more consistent and tight next season.