Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

This morning the budget airline WOW Air just... abruptly went out of business. They cancelled all flights with no warning or notice, leaving people stranded in airports and foreign countries all over the world. Word at airports is that the crew members are going home, and why not since they're not going to get paid.

Makes me nervous because I have a flight in a few months through the parent company and I never considered that they could just shut their doors with no heads up. I know there's people here in airports, please report the chaos you're seeing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wow!

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

935 posted:

This morning the budget airline WOW Air just... abruptly went out of business. They cancelled all flights with no warning or notice, leaving people stranded in airports and foreign countries all over the world. Word at airports is that the crew members are going home, and why not since they're not going to get paid.

Makes me nervous because I have a flight in a few months through the parent company and I never considered that they could just shut their doors with no heads up. I know there's people here in airports, please report the chaos you're seeing

Wow!

E: poo poo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
suck it

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I took a flight with them last year for a long trip. I have no idea what I would have done if this happened to me at the airport. I hadn't even considered that this was possible.

I guess all I can say is...

Wow.

e: drat

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

935 posted:

please report the chaos you're seeing

This is just a little foreshock

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Maybe don’t be so cheap in the future, morans. :smuggo:

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Air travel is dumb and wasteful and destroying the environment and shouldn't be cheaply available to civilians for non-essential use. Change my mind.

frumpykvetchbot fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 28, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Air travel is dumb and destroying the environment and shouldn't be cheap and available to civilians for non-essential use. Change my mind.

Not going to, because :agreed:

Saxon
Jan 21, 2006
NEEDS MORE CRIT
Article for those interested:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/business/live-news/wow-air-shuts-down/index.html

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
It was sudden, but not really at the same time. WOW has been circling the drain for at least the last 12 months if not longer.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Disappointed this isn't about the video game.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
This happened to some Hungarian airline like a week after I had flown with them. No word on if it was my fault but I'm guessing "yes".

Another time a flight got cancelled when I was visiting my gf. Dunno if you've ever been in the situation that you have to go away from someone and you're sad and poo poo, then at the last minute it's like "SURPRISE! You get a few more days together", but it kinda owns :unsmith:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Air travel is dumb and wasteful and destroying the environment and shouldn't be cheaply available to civilians for non-essential use. Change my mind.

Did you know flying gets you somewhere fast? What would be a 12+ hour drive, is a 2 hour plane ride. It’s actually pretty convenient.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Impeding its use would cause considerable financial distress across the globe among many, many industries affecting millions of peoples livelihoods and lead to economic, social, political instability, and worse.
The infrastructure to replace it via other methods of transport or eliminate the need for travel does not exist and cannot be afforded to be implemented at this time and curtailing or suddenly stopping one of the largest means of mass transport on Earth would lead to immediate and immense chaos without incredible foresight and long term planning for its replacement, compounding the instability and disaster I mentioned above.

Entire global markets and economies would shift, and not for the better, and this would trickle down to almost every person on earth, negatively affecting them for an untold foreseeable future and cause incredible and unneeded hardship and humanitarian issues.

Other than that tho good plan.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Are they still going to make popcorn?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
That isn't an argument against developing viable alternatives to air travel

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Are they still going to make popcorn?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

frumpykvetchbot posted:

What would constitute essential use?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Big Beef City posted:

Impeding its use would cause considerable financial distress across the globe among many, many industries affecting millions of peoples livelihoods and lead to economic, social, political instability, and worse.
The infrastructure to replace it via other methods of transport or eliminate the need for travel does not exist and cannot be afforded to be implemented at this time and curtailing or suddenly stopping one of the largest means of mass transport on Earth would lead to immediate and immense chaos without incredible foresight and long term planning for its replacement, compounding the instability and disaster I mentioned above.

Entire global markets and economies would shift, and not for the better, and this would trickle down to almost every person on earth, negatively affecting them for an untold foreseeable future and cause incredible and unneeded hardship and humanitarian issues.

Other than that tho good plan.

Oh no companies wouldnt be able to take their foreign wealthy investers/clients to seedy strip clubs and expensive golf courses in a timely manner anymore world would end

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

pile of brown posted:

What are the viable alternatives?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fallows posted:

Oh no companies wouldnt be able to take their foreign wealthy investers/clients to seedy strip clubs and expensive golf courses in a timely manner anymore world would end

hmm

gonna go ahead and say that's not what the post you responded to said at all

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
What industries rely on airline travel

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That would suck bad to be stuck because the company just phoned it in, drat

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rad-daddio posted:

In the US at least, high-speed rail infrastructure. It shouldn't take 26 hours to get from Detroit to North Carolina by train but here we are

I hate flying and if you told me I could hop on a bullet train and do NYC to LA in <12 hours I'd never fly domestically again.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fallows posted:

What industries rely on airline travel

Literally any international shipping that needs to get across the ocean in less than 3 weeks?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Rad-daddio posted:

Teleportation. Get cracking, egghead scientists! And don't make it another Star Trek "kill you and build a copy" teleporter I swear to god :argh:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

In the US at least, high-speed rail infrastructure. It shouldn't take 26 hours to get from Detroit to North Carolina by train but here we are

I hate flying and if you told me I could hop on a bullet train and do NYC to LA in <12 hours I'd never fly domestically again.

Same, but instead of viable and maintained infrastructure we have Amtrak.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

pile of brown posted:

This would be a really neat thing to say had I mentioned anywhere in my post that we shouldn't try to adapt for the future.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Literally any international shipping that needs to get across the ocean in less than 3 weeks?

Shipping isnt the same thing as traveling

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Same, but instead of viable and maintained infrastructure we have Amtrak.

The worst part about Amtrak is that 99% of the team it somehow ends up being more expensive than taking a flight, unless you're booking at the very last second (I guess the Amtrak ticket prices don't fluctuate)

Fallows posted:

Shipping isnt the same thing as traveling

lol ok

-Specialized industrial technicians. Often on stuff like wind turbines there are only a handful of people across the globe that can do certain things and it's not feasible to say "hey turbine #4 in Norway is failing, we'll see you in 3 weeks when your boat from California arrives"
-Academic conferences. Information-sharing is absolutely essential in a lot of cutting-edge sciences, and trying to coordinate online conferences for the top 200 pediatric oncologists in the world to promote discussion isn't nearly as efficient as renting out a hotel for a few days

just a couple off the top of my head

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The worst part about Amtrak is that 99% of the team it somehow ends up being more expensive than taking a flight, unless you're booking at the very last second (I guess the Amtrak ticket prices don't fluctuate)

Usually you don't buy tickets through Amtrak, you get it way cheaper through something like Wanderu or something like it.

Amtrak is a shithole though, and people around here like to sing the praises of working for them because they get to sleep in a truck all day.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Just ban private passenger jets and make all the rich assholes fly in first class with everyone else, because like almost everything else with potentially negative ramifications, the people who abuse it the most are the rich elite

https://ips-dc.org/report-high-flyers-2017/

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Usually you don't buy tickets through Amtrak, you get it way cheaper through something like Wanderu or something like it.

Amtrak is a shithole though, and people around here like to sing the praises of working for them because they get to sleep in a truck all day.

ah I didn't know that I've never used a train for anything longer than "big city to immedate suburb." It seems hellish.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Snow Cone Capone posted:

-Specialized industrial technicians. Often on stuff like wind turbines there are only a handful of people across the globe that can do certain things and it's not feasible to say "hey turbine #4 in Norway is failing, we'll see you in 3 weeks when your boat from California arrives"
-Academic conferences. Information-sharing is absolutely essential in a lot of cutting-edge sciences, and trying to coordinate online conferences for the top 200 pediatric oncologists in the world to promote discussion isn't nearly as efficient as renting out a hotel for a few days

just a couple off the top of my head

1) Microsoft HoloLens, just hire a local contractor to send a mechanic up there and strap a VR overlay headset onto him.

2) Skype groupchat

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I find it real hard to believe that there's no one in Europe that could fix it, unless it's because they made it difficult as gently caress to repair so only company technicians can do it and the company makes more money. If that's the case, that's fixable with more guillotines

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

935 posted:

1) Microsoft HoloLens, just hire a local contractor to send a mechanic up there and strap a VR overlay headset onto him.

2) Skype groupchat

Snow Cone Capone posted:

also just lol at the hololens thing, yes let's get Jimmy the local 401 electrician to hang off the edge of a helicopter and do maintenance on live transmission wires

Inept posted:

I find it real hard to believe that there's no one in Europe that could fix it, unless it's because they made it difficult as gently caress to repair so only company technicians can do it and the company makes more money. If that's the case, that's fixable with more guillotines

for sure, but even with high-speed rail it's still much faster to fly from say, Portugal to Norway, than to take a train/boat. Plus, they are rare but there are some insanely specialized jobs - there's only about a thousand saturation divers in the entire world, for example.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 28, 2019

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

also just lol at the hololens thing, yes let's get Jimmy the local 401 electrician to hang off the edge of a helicopter and do maintenance on live transmission wires

That way you don't risk the skilled labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord
Who is winning the online argument so far? Is someone keeping score? My future travel plans are in the balance here, folks!