Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Pancakes posted:

With tonight's start Waino and Yadi as a battery are tied for 10th all-time at career starts together. :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZpZQG2z10

e: a yadi snipe is always a good snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/GDubCub/status/1123376948846006272
https://twitter.com/sahadevsharma/status/1123377714323283969

So a couple weeks delay before Javy is ignobly bumped from his position to make way for an abuser, cool.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

What is the consensus on whether or not CC is a Hall of Famer? Just curious.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://twitter.com/MikeGianella/status/1123321127168823296

:master:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

fawning deference posted:

I'm a big Hall guy, but yes. Active pitchers that I'd say go in the Hall off the top of my head: Kershaw, Verlander, Grienke, CC, Scherzer.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Pancakes posted:

I'm a big Hall guy, but yes. Active pitchers that I'd say go in the Hall off the top of my head: Kershaw, Verlander, Grienke, CC, Scherzer.

Think it'll be sooner rather than later?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

https://twitter.com/YESNetwork/status/1123412333051564033

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Pancakes posted:

what about Felix?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Should I spend between $750 and $940 that I may or may not have on a Hank Aaron autographed bat?

I mean the man is in his mid 80s now. Who knows how much longer he’ll be around to autograph anything for?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If you need it and dont care if it isnt worth anything to anyone else, sure

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

what about Felix?

Borderline for me. He probably gets in eventually, but like 7th or 8th ballot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Felix has the peak for sure but his drop off has been crazy.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
AJ Burnett should be in the hall of fame imo

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I think Sabathia gets in. 250 wins and 3000Ks are excellent modern-day counting stats, he's got a CY and a ring. His peak isn't quite good enough on its own but the longevity more than makes up for it.

e: CC's 7-year peak is better than Felix's which I would not have guessed

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

got any sevens posted:

If you need it and dont care if it isnt worth anything to anyone else, sure

My thinking was that it might skyrocket in value when Hank Aaron croaks and I could make a profit on it on eBay or something, since unlike Star Wars toys and Funko Pops, sports memorabilia is something people might pay a lot of money for.

Plus it’s 25% off right now which is between $250 and $320 off.

EDIT: This is probably a good time to ask what factors make sports memorabilia worth a lot of money.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 1, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I. M. Gei posted:

My thinking was that it might skyrocket in value when Hank Aaron croaks and I could make a profit on it on eBay or something, since unlike Star Wars toys and Funko Pops, sports memorabilia is something people might pay a lot of money for.

I believe the general rule of stuff like that is there's a million people thinking the same thing and it destroys the market. Unless you have a seller in mind or something.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is it a game used bat that he signed or just a new bat he recently signed?

I wouldn't really count on baseball memorabilia as an investment. If you want it to keep that's another thing. But I really don't think there is a huge market out there.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

STAC Goat posted:

I believe the general rule of stuff like that is there's a million people thinking the same thing and it destroys the market. Unless you have a seller in mind or something.

Well yeah, there’s probably a ton of them out there right now, but the price will probably still spike once Hank Aaron dies and they’re not able to make any more of them. Plus it’ll likely be worth even more than that 50 or 100 years later as it becomes antiquated and the number of bats out there in good condition goes down.

EDIT: I don’t even know why I’m thinking about this. I have almost no money right now and the money I do have is being saved for school.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 1, 2019

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Well yeah, there’s probably a ton of them out there right now, but the price will probably still spike once Hank Aaron dies and they’re not able to make any more of them. Plus it’ll likely be worth even more than that 50 or 100 years later as it becomes antiquated and the number of bats out there in good condition goes down.

In 50-100 years who will care?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ketchup vs catsup posted:

In 50-100 years who will care?

I dunno, who cares about Babe Ruth? :shrug:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Pancakes posted:

Sabathia is not as good as the rest of those guys on a per-inning basis though

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

I. M. Gei posted:

Plus it’s 25% off right now which is between $250 and $320 off.

EDIT: This is probably a good time to ask what factors make sports memorabilia worth a lot of money.

Rarity, player notoriety and significance (game used, specific # of hit or HR, etc.) are three of the main factors. I paid a lot more for my signed Albert Cardinals jersey than I did for my signed Stan jersey even though Stan had been dead for years by that point because Stan signed everything while Albert is relatively stingy with his autograph.

As a note, I would gladly pay many thousands of dollars for a signed Curt Flood jersey if anyone ever finds one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The reason Babe Ruth stuff is worth money is because no one thought it would be worth poo poo when he was playing. The Baby Boomer generation had a million stories of how they stuck cards in their bicycle spikes or kept them in a shoebox that got destroyed in a flood or their mom threw them out when they went to college. The few that survived were rare and worth a ton.

So then the Boomers in the 90s started bagging everything and buying stuff specifically to save as expensive collectables. There was the huge spike in collectibles - sports, comics, toys, whatever - because suddenly Boomers were looking for the nostalgic stuff from their past and anticipating the huge prices and buying up today's stuff and telling their kids to make sure to take care of their stuff like they didn't. Then you could buy 100 Rookie Cards for X but that meant there were thousands of rookie cards for X out there. And then the collective companies (or comic industry, or whatever) caught on and started making special stuff and exclusive versions and charging extra. But the result was everyone had a ton of worthless poo poo.

Maybe that poo poo rebounded in the last decade or two but I don't see why. For 50 years or so people have been buying up Hank Aaron collectibles to save them for when he's dead. Dedicated traders and business men have had your idea and dealt in it. People with money have bought up like game used rare stuff. My guess is the entire reason something like that is on sale is because there's a surplus and they know the value is shot. Your only chance of real return is with a lot of time and some luck.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 1, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

EDIT: I don’t even know why I’m thinking about this. I have almost no money right now and the money I do have is being saved for school.

Short term you're not going to make any money off sports memorabilia unless it's one-of-a-kind stuff. Long-term you might turn a profit (if you keep the bat in good condition and don't lose it to fire/flood/theft etc) but there are much better investments over that sort of timeframe.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

My advice is that there are no circumstances where you should buy any sports memorabilia to make a profit later. Things are too difficult to sell, and you're gambling that it'll increase in value in the first place. Most of my items are worth roughly the same now as when I bought them.

However if it's an item you want, or something that's significant to you for some reason, then buy away.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Meh, I can’t afford it anyway. But talking out my dumbass thought processes in this thread still helps.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Sabathia is not as good as the rest of those guys on a per-inning basis though

But he has been pitching longer than any of them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tom Gorman posted:

However if it's an item you want, or something that's significant to you for some reason, then buy away.

I mean, it is something I want to have anyway, I like sports memorabilia, it’s just not something I can... y’know, pay for.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

:staredog:

loving laser.

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1123427713266663425

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/MLB/status/1123428456551915521

Every day it's something new with Bour

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fawning deference posted:

He should be, CC rules.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm going to San Diego this weekend to see the Padres and I'm extremely disappointed that Tatis Jr. strained his taint. I guess I'm getting a Franmil Reyes jersey now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers are the first team to 20 wins but Cody Bellinger has to settle for sharing the HR lead and entering May hitting .431/.508/.890

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
News: Starling Marte returned from injury last night after a terrifying collision on April 19th

Views: :toot: I’m glad he’s back and liked his home run

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Just chiming in to say Schwarbombs are cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's gonna be May

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888573