Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Davincie posted:

how deep is the rpg element in this? all the hardcore gothic stuff is something im interested in, but if the quests aren't any deeper than what random generation can provide i have little interest

So I've been playing with a pal, and it seems like some of the more involved dungeons have quests that you can stumble upon while inside them.

For example, we found a corrupted tomb at the north end of the initial map, and it turns out that there's a bunch of ghosts going nuts because they can't feed on their memories anymore because of corruption, and we only found this out because a talking skeleton asked us to help out. We actually only found him deep in the dungeon, which was a pleasant surprise. no idea how to help him clear the corruption though :(

edit: Also I was really surprised at how much I actually liked the look of the poison marsh area in the game, which is not something I thought I'd say

Drizvolta fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah, if nothing else this game is a masterclass on How To Make A Good Swamp. Monsoon also looks really great.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The game got much easier the second time around when I realized that buying a decent starting weapon is so much better than using a random machete I found. Gear really does make a huge difference.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah, if nothing else this game is a masterclass on How To Make A Good Swamp. Monsoon also looks really great.

The swamp and monsoon music are top tier.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Can you only join one faction per playthrough?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Fun Times! posted:

Can you only join one faction per playthrough?

Yes

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I died near the bandit fort, respawned in the fort with nothing and promptly died again, and then respawned in town with my backpack. Those fuckers stole my armor, weapons, and my 150 silver. That really loving hurts! Any chance I'll find my silver when I go back and murderize the place?

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Yes. Whenever you get knocked out, they basically steal your stuff and put it in a chest somewhere. Usually by the spot where you spawned although don't wait too long because some instance maps reset after like 7 days.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Baba Oh Really posted:

Yes. Whenever you get knocked out, they basically steal your stuff and put it in a chest somewhere. Usually by the spot where you spawned although don't wait too long because some instance maps reset after like 7 days.

If you die multiple times without getting your stuff, can it be lost forever?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The only time your stuff is lost forever is if the game glitches out.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That's not true, I lost my cooking pot due to instance reset when I got massively death ping ponged around the marsh.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Drizvolta posted:

So I've been playing with a pal, and it seems like some of the more involved dungeons have quests that you can stumble upon while inside them.

For example, we found a corrupted tomb at the north end of the initial map, and it turns out that there's a bunch of ghosts going nuts because they can't feed on their memories anymore because of corruption, and we only found this out because a talking skeleton asked us to help out. We actually only found him deep in the dungeon, which was a pleasant surprise. no idea how to help him clear the corruption though :(

edit: Also I was really surprised at how much I actually liked the look of the poison marsh area in the game, which is not something I thought I'd say

The solution to this quest is, I believe, with the Elatt faction

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Fun Times! posted:

If you die multiple times without getting your stuff, can it be lost forever?

It could if it was a dungeon/instance since those maps reset. I am not sure about the world maps. Those don't seem to reset or their reset counter is very large.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Infinity Gaia posted:

That's not true, I lost my cooking pot due to instance reset when I got massively death ping ponged around the marsh.

Would you say the game glitched out

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
For anyone else confused by the description, the mace infusion skill only works if the magic hits you while you're in the middle of the animation. It's not a block at all, it's more like a parry.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Glenn Quebec posted:

Would you say the game glitched out

Nah, I just got VERY ping ponged, for long enough that the marsh map instance reset. It's fine, it was just a cooking pot.

I'm rather regretting taking the close-in dash attack from the Monk trainer instead of the other skill which was just a passive that gave you like +15 to all resistances while Discipline is up. That one was obviously way more in tune with my playstyle of 'just crash into things and hope for the best' but I figured the dash in might be a good initiator or move to use when an enemy does an annoying backstep. And it KINDA is but it's got hard to gauge range which makes it annoying to use. At least the "attack everything around you like you're some sort of anime" move is pretty sweet, though consuming the Discipline boon is harsh.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 2, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

The two handed mace juggernaut attack or whatever is a lot of fun. Big damage and stability loss

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
How's the reach? I'm thinking about switching to 2H mace since I don't have much investment in 1H and noticed the stats aren't that much higher.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

metasynthetic posted:

How's the reach? I'm thinking about switching to 2H mace since I don't have much investment in 1H and noticed the stats aren't that much higher.

Probably the third worst after the axe. I think it goes polearms -> two handed swords -> 2h mace -> 1handers -> 2h axes

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Honestly each melee weapon (besides knives) only has one unique skill that costs all of 50 silver, provided you can find the trainer, so investing in using a different weapon just means... Getting the weapon. A lot of the unique skills are bad anyways.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
They gave me a torch at the start, then told me to sleep in a bed. I didn't know how to put my torch away and assumed it would just put it away when I went to sleep. It didn't.

Game would have been 10/10 GOTY if it lit me on fire for doing this.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Drizvolta posted:

For sure. Couple reasons for this - you can safely ignore the stupid poison garbage. Just about every point of interest can be reached without once being poisoned, or even needing to tight rope walk. Routes may be a little round-about, but they are also visually more attractive, so it's a nice contrast. Second, they didn't just push the whole "it's awful here", and the zone has some of the best music in the game.

It's still a rough zone, with tougher monsters (compared to Forest, nevermind Chersonese), but a good zone, that has more to offer and opens up when finally stacking up that Decay resistance toward 100%.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

AxeManiac posted:

They gave me a torch at the start, then told me to sleep in a bed. I didn't know how to put my torch away and assumed it would just put it away when I went to sleep. It didn't.

Game would have been 10/10 GOTY if it lit me on fire for doing this.

I think it does still raise your temperature. I know I would get a little overheated snuggling with a stick that is on fire. Maybe kick off the blankets.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Kiggles posted:

For sure. Couple reasons for this - you can safely ignore the stupid poison garbage. Just about every point of interest can be reached without once being poisoned, or even needing to tight rope walk. Routes may be a little round-about, but they are also visually more attractive, so it's a nice contrast. Second, they didn't just push the whole "it's awful here", and the zone has some of the best music in the game.

It's still a rough zone, with tougher monsters (compared to Forest, nevermind Chersonese), but a good zone, that has more to offer and opens up when finally stacking up that Decay resistance toward 100%.

Huh, if you stack 100% Decay Resistance do you become unable to be poisoned? That must be how you get to that weird little island on the top left...

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Kiggles posted:

So for example, while early game you will have so few tools that your only option is typically to lure hostile NPCs toward eachother, this isn't some sort of cheesy exploit, and one of the few cases it doesn't even feel cheesy. It's a legitimate strategy you're going to want to keep in mind dozens of hours down the road. A friend and I just earlier today got ourselves out of a bad situation by pulling a third NPC to run interference on a pair of flying sharks that we weren't equipped to handle. Turns out that third NPC was practically a natural predator to flying sharks. Also turns out we WERE well equipped to predate flying shark natural predators.

Circle of life.

I came across this exact situation (I think) except I wasn't able to solo the shark predator, though I did get him close. However, every time I go back and forth between the desert and the forest, I make sure to make a pit stop by the little valley leading to the Vigil Tower and instigate a fight between the the beast golem and the Alpha Deer Of Vengeance. Who then dies to 3 piddly bandits.

edit: every loving time ive caught a cold its been like 10 seconds before i reached shelter that would have prevented it. colds OP

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 3, 2019

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The solution to this quest is, I believe, with the Elatt faction

Awesome, just joined up with them. Also spent too long in Berg so now I've just got that jaunty theme stuck in my head forever.

Trying to find it I noticed that the composer put the whole soundtrack on Youtube so enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJpG4djfvxw

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
I do not understand what does the scroll icon with small red exclamation point means (above temperature gauge). Did I miss that somewhere in the tutorial or...?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Just means your HP is below a certain % and it might be a good idea to use a bandage. It's not a debuff or anything.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

big nipples big life posted:

Just means your HP is below a certain % and it might be a good idea to use a bandage. It's not a debuff or anything.

Aah much appreciated. I checked active status effects and could not figure it out. I guess what I took for a scroll is actually a bandage...

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

big nipples big life posted:

There's a few ways to restore your life gauge, life potions will provide instant health, bandages provide decently quick regen over a short period of time, and foods, especially meat dishes provide a slower, but longer regen.

A couple of dishes I recommend buying the recipe for (or just looking them up online), are pungent paste, as it restores both burnt health and stamina, and the various teas you can make, especially seaweed tea as it restores burnt mana, very helpful after resting reduces your usable total.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I like to carry jerky if I'm going to be adventuring from one zone to another and meat stew if I'm going to be in the same zone for awhile. The hp regen on jerky isn't as good but it keeps forever.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I was getting my rear end kicked by anything higher than hyenas, and I couldn't even find many of those. I cleared out the trog cave day one but I went back in case I missed something, and holy poo poo it respawns! Who knew? The dead adventurer right in the front door had a kickass armor and 2h axe. I'm tearing trogs up now and got enough money to buy some recipes. Game is starting to look up!

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Early game that is pretty good spot for money if you have the bag space. Another is going to the starfish cave around midnight to 1am or down the beach. The tide in there recedes revealing blue sand to be collected which sells for a lot or gets you good crafting mats for the armor set.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Blue sand and insect husk were my bread and butter in the early game once I traveled to the marsh lands I've been selling bandit steel shields for $60 bux plus dino bits

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Any of you guys play Conan Exiles before this? All survival games are similar, but I'm into CE because the combat is great. This game has quite the price tag for early access but maybe I'll want to sink my teeth into it like Conan?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's nothing like Conan exiles.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
This isn't a survival game and it also isn't early access. Outward doesn't even have a slider for dick/boob size.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
That's not what the question was but thanks for applying yourselves.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Zigmidge posted:

That's not what the question was but thanks for applying yourselves.

gently caress off it's not like the game you described, what else do you want? Maybe you'll sink your teeth into it? I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I like both Conan Exiles and this and the only real similarity is having to eat, drink and worry about temperature and those meters require much less attention in Outward. It's an RPG with some survival elements, not a survival game. Combat wise I think it's better than Conan was the last time I played it but it's been 5 or 6 months so I don't know if they have changed much, it was after the major combat overhaul they did though.