Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

The entire goal of the show was getting back to earth. It's revitalized so they are willing to rough it for a while.

Oh no the BSG ending...

"Let's give up all of our tech because reasons."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oh no the BSG ending...

"Let's give up all of our tech because reasons."

At least in this case there are no future generations to help with the tech. As long as the last humans are comfortable until they die, that's all they need.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Rhyno posted:

The entire goal of the show was getting back to earth. It's revitalized so they are willing to rough it for a while.

This is what still annoys me. Monty waited nearly 50 years and there were no signs of life on Earth so they headed to Sanctum. After 75 years of travel though, they end up back on Earth to find trees that are at least 50 years old and presumably animal life for them to live off of.

Shrimpy posted:

It'd also be weird to be on Sanctum and/or Bardo just surrounded by glowing crystalline structures that used to be members of your species. Like, surprise, the Earth was just faking you out so you’d leave.

The returned crew can go back and visit their glow bodies now.

“So that’s what I looked like when I ascended”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!
The Sinister with the mutant gene.

latinotwink1997 posted:

This is what still annoys me. Monty waited nearly 50 years and there were no signs of life on Earth so they headed to Sanctum. After 75 years of travel though, they end up back on Earth to find trees that are at least 50 years old and presumably animal life for them to live off of.

Monty never looked at the other side of the planet.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

latinotwink1997 posted:

Monty lied hoping that going to a new world with other humans would give them a fresh start and that things would be different.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Im finally watching this on Netflix and goddamn Clarke is literally responsible for trying to scrub out the last % of humanity in the galaxy because Earth wasnt enough.

Question, ep 14 or 15 they get sent back to earth and the second dawn bunker. But I thought Earth was a lost cause and the last fertile valley was torched. But when they get there its the standard lush canadian rain forest. Why couldnt they just re-colonize that valley?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gaj posted:

Im finally watching this on Netflix and goddamn Clarke is literally responsible for trying to scrub out the last % of humanity in the galaxy because Earth wasnt enough.

Question, ep 14 or 15 they get sent back to earth and the second dawn bunker. But I thought Earth was a lost cause and the last fertile valley was torched. But when they get there its the standard lush canadian rain forest. Why couldnt they just re-colonize that valley?

Earth was completely desolate when they left and that new patch of fertile land was a new development.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Oh god Im dumb I forgot they slow boated it to the new world. But now that just makes me ask why the Second Dawn group didnt re-colonize Earth since it seems it would be easier to expand on a planet that uh, isnt covered in Biological weapons.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Gaj posted:

Oh god Im dumb I forgot they slow boated it to the new world. But now that just makes me ask why the Second Dawn group didnt re-colonize Earth since it seems it would be easier to expand on a planet that uh, isnt covered in Biological weapons.

If the backdoor pilot was any indication, it's because they portal-ed off of Earth shortly after they got in the bunker.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Gaj posted:

It probably boils down to Cadagon being a dick. He didn't want to give people Night Blood because he wanted them in the bunker with him. Then he kept the code to go back to Earth secret, because as soon as he found what was basically a bunker on Bardo, he felt right at home.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

Also somebody got into the bunker, dug a hole in concrete, pushed the sphere down into it, seamlessly covered the hole with new concrete and left an Azgadia symbol over it.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

latinotwink1997 posted:

50 years old? Those trees looked hundreds of years to me.

The show briefly touched on the whole time dilation due to a black hole thing, but they never really took the time to hash out how it worked other than ‘Sanctum is slower than Skyring and Skyring is slower than Bardo.’ It’s my theory that Sanctum is also a shitload slower than Earth, and hundreds of years passed while our heroes hosed around killing each other.

I’m pretty sure this show completely hosed the physics of time dilation and black holes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Psst! It's me!

I like the "Monty lied" theory.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I like the "Monty lied" theory.

Monty lied, more people died.

I was also thinking, we never got a reason why the maelstrom was, well, a maelstrom, did we? It’s the portal the spheres create but instead it was miles wide and permanently open. Why?

latinotwink1997 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 18, 2020

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

latinotwink1997 posted:

I was also thinking, we never got a reason why the maelstrom was, well, a maelstrom, did we? It’s the portal the spheres create but instead it was miles wide and permanently open. Why?

I've come to the conclusion after reading many shows' threads that people on the internet regularly think more about the details of most shows' plots than the writers do, for better or for worse.

Edit: spelling is important

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

A Little Known FACT: Burger King's Bacon King is superior to the Baconator.

Finally finished the last season since it got on Netflix. Pretty good series and also interesting since it started out pretty weird and ended pretty weird.

And also no matter what they do, they manage to kill just about everyone they meet...

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

werdnam posted:

I've come to the conclusion after reading many shows' threads that people on the internet regularly think more about the details of most shows' plots than the writers do, for better or for worse.

Edit: spelling is important

I suspend my disbelief until after the show is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

latinotwink1997 posted:

Monty lied, more people died.

They do mention that there are nearly infinite combinations on the sphere, maybe "make a giant permanent portal" is one of the functions they hadn't unlocked for themselves yet