Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like how even when Josephine is pretending to be Clarke Eliza Taylor still plays the character differently and isn't just Clarke again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

muscles like this! posted:

I like how even when Josephine is pretending to be Clarke Eliza Taylor still plays the character differently and isn't just Clarke again.

Yeah, I really appreciated how well Eliza Taylor balanced being Josephine but pretending to be Clarke. Like just enough to fool someone in distress like her mother, but weird enough that Gaia and Madi seemed to realize something was going on, though Madi was far too distracted to think about it too much.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"So let's say like you're a mountain lion, and he...but you're really a gorilla, but he thinks you're a mountain lion and you have to act you're a mountain lion, you're a gorilla but you have to act like a mountain lion, or he's going to know you're a gorilla and then it's...it's different. So just be that"

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Someone's going to have to explain to Murphy that they won't be putting his brain in a new body, but instead making a copy of his personality and putting that into someone else after he dies. In fact, the show just established that the Primes were mostly people that Russel killed in the first Red Sun, so for all we know, the scan only works on dead brains, or could be fatally invasive.

Murphy's too selfish for the selfless act of making sure his friends don't lose him after he's gone.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't gently caress with BrainHeda!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Hey don't spoiler Murphy!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Josephine owns.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
How many people did that guy Raven was yelling at last week say he had 'used'?

I can't figure out the whole timeline and feel like they are trying to stuff too many past lives into the Primes despite not having the time.

We know the Prime ship left before the Earth ended the first time. And we know it took them at least 100 years to get there. And we know the first 100 went to Earth ~100 years after the Earth ended. And the 100 spent roughly between 7-10 years on Earth before destroying it again. And the it took them 125 years to reach Sanctum

So it feels like the Primes should only have somewhere around 150 years or so because they didn't start doing the chip transfers until several years AFTER they landed on Sanctum. I mean I can see using a couple extra bodies since the Primes seem prone to murder.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
He said he was in his 9th body, not sure if that includes the original.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

TMMadman posted:

How many people did that guy Raven was yelling at last week say he had 'used'?

I can't figure out the whole timeline and feel like they are trying to stuff too many past lives into the Primes despite not having the time.

We know the Prime ship left before the Earth ended the first time. And we know it took them at least 100 years to get there. And we know the first 100 went to Earth ~100 years after the Earth ended. And the 100 spent roughly between 7-10 years on Earth before destroying it again. And the it took them 125 years to reach Sanctum

So it feels like the Primes should only have somewhere around 150 years or so because they didn't start doing the chip transfers until several years AFTER they landed on Sanctum. I mean I can see using a couple extra bodies since the Primes seem prone to murder.

I may be wrong, but I don't think it took 100 years for the primes to get there. The reason it took 100 years for the convict ship is because of the damaged engine or something. They talked about it the previous season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's also possible they burned through some bodies very quickly.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Even if it took less than 100 years for the ship to reach Sanctum, aren't we still talking about a range something like 150 to 250 years of Sanctum?

Even if someone died like 3 or 4 times fairly early in the cycle due to learning the dangers of the planet, that is still 5 or 6 lives over say 200 years. And while that may be a little more plausible, I'd start to question the logic of keeping someone alive who can't seem to go more than like 40-50 years without dying, especially if they are supposed to be a leader of the community.

Edit - also can it really be that long? I thought Josephines dad is still in the body he had when he killed her in that flashback

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 19, 2019

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

TMMadman posted:

Even if it took less than 100 years for the ship to reach Sanctum, aren't we still talking about a range something like 150 to 250 years of Sanctum?

Even if someone died like 3 or 4 times fairly early in the cycle due to learning the dangers of the planet, that is still 5 or 6 lives over say 200 years. And while that may be a little more plausible, I'd start to question the logic of keeping someone alive who can't seem to go more than like 40-50 years without dying, especially if they are supposed to be a leader of the community.

Edit - also can it really be that long? I thought Josephines dad is still in the body he had when he killed her in that flashback

In the 6th episode when Raven is grilling Ryker, he mentions that he is on his 9th body and when he 'took' it, he was 206 years old, though whether that tracks time hes been alive or the time that his chip has existed who knows. He also still talks to the mother of his 6th host so evidently these primes just loving die all the time to something.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Skuzal posted:

In the 6th episode when Raven is grilling Ryker, he mentions that he is on his 9th body and when he 'took' it, he was 206 years old, though whether that tracks time hes been alive or the time that his chip has existed who knows. He also still talks to the mother of his 6th host so evidently these primes just loving die all the time to something.

And that's what makes me wonder why they should keep them alive!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In the last episode it mentions they don't always last very long.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
That was the early cases, but we also see a prime getting murdered at middle age

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rocksicles posted:

In the last episode it mentions they don't always last very long.

Yeah like I said, I can excuse a few deaths early in the cycle due to the dangers of the planet, but after that I would expect to see a more normal life expectancy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't nitpick it please. People who do that constantly ruins the show. Who cares.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Who cares.

Totally. This whole show has some dumb premises that dont stand up to much scrutiny, but who cares. It's a fun show that's fun to watch! It's not Star Trek or whatever other Super Serious Scifi.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

re: prime bodies

it's a dangerous planet and i kinda get the vibe primes have been killing the poo poo out of eachother behind eachother's backs for a while now, too, which would burn thru quite a few lives.

Anyway show still owns and sum Erica Cerra was nice.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Josephine owns.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also:

GreenNight posted:

Who cares.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Less Clarke, more Raven please.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

TMMadman posted:

Yeah like I said, I can excuse a few deaths early in the cycle due to the dangers of the planet, but after that I would expect to see a more normal life expectancy.

Remember, they are jumping into the bodies when they are already in there 20s, so 30-40 years per body puts them at 60. Obviously the dangerous planet is a factor, add in that they are probably pretty reckless since they know they are coming back, and really if you were an immortal shitbag who could jump into a 20 year old body would you really want to stick around in your 70 or 80 year old one?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anyway it was sweet seeing Clarke brain Josephine with the door

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fenris13 posted:

Remember, they are jumping into the bodies when they are already in there 20s, so 30-40 years per body puts them at 60. Obviously the dangerous planet is a factor, add in that they are probably pretty reckless since they know they are coming back, and really if you were an immortal shitbag who could jump into a 20 year old body would you really want to stick around in your 70 or 80 year old one?

Maybe the old geezer bodies were taken as a last resort, they had a que and they were running out.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

Maybe the old geezer bodies were taken as a last resort, they had a que and they were running out.

I was thinking this, too. I bet with hosts being born less and less, Primes have had to take an older than they'd like body a few times in recent history once their current one craps out.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Doesn't seem logic to me that "unclaimed" Old Geezer Nightbloods were a thing at all, given how rare they were and "how long it has been since all Primes were alive at the same time".
You'd think they would have all been parasited as soon as they turn 21. Not a day later.

Workshop Prime is on his 9th body apparently, he was probably the previous one before Priya (his mother) to get resurrected given his young body.
Some others were only on their 6th body, so you could say Workshop dude is quite careless.
Do his 206 years include his time on ice? I don't think so.

Also given Gabriel and Russel managed to survive for 25 years before inventing resurrection, you'd think accidental deaths should not really be occuring that much.

The parallels between all of this, and last year's Altered Carbon is quite big though.
Next step would be to create (nightblood) clones they can breed in an incubator up to a physical age of 21.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They are rare now because they kept taking all the good stock, people needed to breed kids to grow up. I imagine a whole bunch were taken by the NotGrounders.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If the premise of living forever because your mind is backed up to a chip fascinates you, there's a Netflix show called Altered Carbon that is exactly this. The show isn't for everyone and tbh I don't like it much, but Primes in 100 are basically 'Meths' in AC, and mindspace in 100 = 'virtual' in AC.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

They are rare now because they kept taking all the good stock, people needed to breed kids to grow up. I imagine a whole bunch were taken by the NotGrounders.

Nothing would stop the Primes from breeding after bodysnatching would it?
The moral implication of having offspring to possibly take over however is just fantastic though....

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Boris Galerkin posted:

If the premise of living forever because your mind is backed up to a chip fascinates you, there's a Netflix show called Altered Carbon that is exactly this. The show isn't for everyone and tbh I don't like it much, but Primes in 100 are basically 'Meths' in AC, and mindspace in 100 = 'virtual' in AC.

I thought Altered Carbon was pretty decent. Curious to know what turned you off from it?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Dalael posted:

I thought Altered Carbon was pretty decent. Curious to know what turned you off from it?

It was pretty brutal for a scifi show. Not just brutal in violence but also in moral dilemmas and other ethical questions.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Evernoob posted:

It was pretty brutal for a scifi show. Not just brutal in violence but also in moral dilemmas and other ethical questions.

I loved that stuff. It's why I was a big fan of the show.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Dalael posted:

Honestly I think it’s the lead actor being so stiff and wooden in every scene and also 100% unrelatable so I just didn’t get emotionally invested at all. My favorite part about the whole show was how they randomly switched to different languages during a conversation sometimes.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 21, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evernoob posted:

Nothing would stop the Primes from breeding after bodysnatching would it?
The moral implication of having offspring to possibly take over however is just fantastic though....

Well, there is the whole boning your relatives thing...

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Honestly I think it’s the lead actor being so stiff and wooden in every scene and also 100% unrelatable so I just didn’t get emotionally invested at all. My favorite part about the whole show was how they randomly switched to different languages during a conversation sometimes.

One advantage of the show's premise is that next season has a new lead actor.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

who the gently caress ok'd colonizing this planet?

the sun turns you into a maniac and there are quicksand pits full of them weird-rear end bubble tea balls.

starting to think becca may have been a troll and primfya was her ultimate shitpost.

edit: finally caught up. I can see the primes being that many generations deep at this point. vanity.

upgunned shitpost fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 21, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's like how the Gouald get a little more insane every time they use the sarcophagus.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

jfood posted:

who the gently caress ok'd colonizing this planet?

the sun turns you into a maniac and there are quicksand pits full of them weird-rear end bubble tea balls.

starting to think becca may have been a troll and primfya was her ultimate shitpost.

edit: finally caught up. I can see the primes being that many generations deep at this point. vanity.

If it's got a breathable atmosphere and liquid water, you can bet human's will colonize that poo poo. I'm assuming they had no way of knowing how all that would effect people until they got there, and they've obviously figured out how to deal with it fairly quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
It's probably going to be interesting to see all the weird poo poo the Children of Gabriel have figured out in order to survive in the wild.