Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I appreciate that instead of spending a whole season on it like each one before, this time they've fast-tracked the inevitable and Clarke only needed one episode to come to the decision that more killing is the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

DogsInSpace! posted:

Was Emori not there? I mean.... Murphy looking at eternal hippy ascension peace and going "gently caress that" is totally Murph but sad he didn't get to bring Emori back with him.
Emori is there at the end. She's dicking about at the very back of the camp. So Murphy's set. Though, that does also completely fly in the face of being told dead people won't transcend.

Which probably is my biggest complaint with that ending. If the dead don't transcend then that means only what, two hundred people have joined the alien hivemind? Three hundred maybe? And at least half of them are killers; Octavia's a cannibal queen and we were previously told all those miners were the worst criminal scum in Earth's history. If a higher power wants a species to evolve and help further the collective conscience of the universe, a couple hundred sketchy people doesn't seem worth it. Surely they'd want humanity to repopulate a bit, like there should be a significantly higher minimum headcount before a species can be tested, make sure there are enough good 'uns for it to actually be worthwhile.

I have some more minor complaints—ending on a U2 song is something CW had already done to death a decade ago—but overall, really enjoyed that last episode and most of season seven. That first scene might be my favourite in the show's entire run just for the sheer honesty of it.
Levitt: "More killing, that's the answer?"
*Clarke runs ahead with a grenade in each hand*
Octavia: "It's what we do :shrug:"

I cheered for Clarke getting in one last good killing spree and not giving Cadogan the slightest chance. I cheered for Sheidheda getting blown to mist. (not-)Lexa was spoilt for me but it put a huge grin on my face seeing her again anyway. I'm equally happy with both Clarke having to face being the most irredeemable person in the universe but also with her and the rest of the hero crew getting to just live quietly on Earth as they always wanted.
Most importantly, the dog survived; 10/10.

I'll leave it a while, but I do think I will go back to episode one and rewatch the whole thing at some point, which I don't usually do with this kind of show. I expect the first three seasons will be very interesting to see again, now knowing where everything ends up. Though at the same time I now feel less interested in the prequel series, with Callie, Becca, and clearly everything else that came before really not mattering.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Astroman posted:

Speaking of which, on that fade to credits, what was that quick overlay of a girl drawing? Was that Madi? Or Clarke in her prison in the first episode? If so does that mean the whole show is Clarke's dream before she was floated? :tinfoil:
It's the first shot of Clarke drawing in episode one. I assume they just thew it on there to remind people how far the story has come, otherwise yeah, the only other implication is this was all a story Clarke was making up on her walls. A teenager making up bullshit as they go along certainly does explain the meandering nature of the plots and how Clarke gets to be the main character despite being a total arsehole.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Given that we know they've wiped out multiple large civilisations for not meeting their standards of righteousness and purity, yes, the aliens are gargantuan dicks.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Border collie for intelligence, or a natural guardian like a Pyrenean mountain or St Bernard. Definitely something in the working or pastoral classes. Though really they'd be fine with anything except terriers; those were all bred to be killers.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Niylah was always an outcast, being half Trikru half Azgeda and then getting cosy with Skaikru, so choosing to get out of the hivemind and hang with Octavia and Clarke, the only people she's ever had any kind of positive relationship with, makes some sense for her.

Some of the others do seem like they probably should've taken the immortality, though.

Closing out the human race we have:
Clarke - no choice.
Murphy - maybe he couldn't resist the chance to give a gently caress you to alien overlords, but you'd think the cockroach would want immortality.
Emori - gonna follow Murphy wherever.
Jackson - Miller must be a fantastic lay.
Miller - ditto.
Octavia - likely didn't feel worthy, you don't easily get over being a cannibalistic murder machine.
Levitt - Octavia's Smithers.
Hope - I'd guess something along the same lines as Octavia, she was pretty down on herself for the whole seventh season, though she had nowhere near as much reason to be.
Jordan - Apparently Hope is such a good kisser, one smooch and he's given up divinity.
Niylah - see above.
Gaia - uh, followed Indra I suppose?
Indra - uh, followed Gaia I suppose?
Raven - uh...
Echo - uh...

By my count Clarke and Octavia are the only ones who really fit living out the end of the species on a riverbank, and maybe Niylah if those two are there. The rest really should've taken the deal.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
It was quite a swerve when she wasn't the one to use the chemical WMD this season. I'm not sure I've ever seen a TV show with a more homicidal protagonist. In anything else she'd be the villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
The specific scene of Bellamy being killed was fine, because Clarke is a reactionary homicidal lunatic who had already proven many times that she'd do literally anything to anyone for Madi, and I like that even Bellamy wasn't an exception to that to that.
However, I don't like how it was handled after. It was out of character that Echo and Octavia didn't hack Clarke to pieces immediately, and then having Bellamy be right all along and not even getting to be part of the 'Finalkru' made his death feel very unbalanced. The second-main character of the story is killed, it's proven killing him was a gigantic and needless mistake, and the only cost is a few tears? Obviously it's been a couple of years so maybe I'm misremembering, but as I recall, Clarke got away with it essentially scot-free.
Shooting Bellamy wasn't even why she got left behind in the end, it was just one of many gently caress-ups she listed. She literally got punished more for shooting Cadogan. I like Clarke and got a kick out of her mass murdering ways, but man, she really needed to get some kind of direct and clear comeuppance. I don't think dying of old age with her friends and dog, knowing her daughter is now an immortal cosmic force, was really the punishment or penance the writers thought it was.

Bellamy being killed off before the final was fine. Clarke shooting Bellamy was fine. Not having her really pay for it in any significant way, especially when he was right, was not fine.