Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I finished this show like two years ago and sometimes I still get randomly mad at how Bellamy had an authentic spiritual encounter, found inner peace, got killed pointlessly and for idiotic reasons, turned out to be right about everything, missed out on the afterlife he believed in, and then nobody felt bad about it afterwards.

Also the best episode is the Season 3 episode where Jasper dies. I was legit stunned by how surprisingly elegiac the entire episode was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

INH5 posted:

I assume that you mean the Season 4 episode?

He was supposed to commit suicide at the last episode of Season 3, and the scene was actually filmed, but it was edited out before broadcast. That's still one of the weirdest aspects of this show's production, IMO, why it happened that way? My own theory is that the controversy over Lexa's death was loud enough that higher-ups at the CW noticed and passed instructions down the chain to "do something," and apart from dubbing in some lines between Clarke and Lexa while they were in The Matrix, all that they could think to do was remove another potentially controversial character death, and since the whole Season had already been filmed by that point the only death that was feasible to edit out was Jasper's.

I don't suppose that any new information about this has come to since the show's ending that I missed?

That aside, yeah, I agree that that episode was pretty well done. In hindsight, one good thing to come out of the controversies over Lexa and Lincoln's deaths in Season 3 was that they put more care into major character deaths going forward. I honestly can't think of a single one from the start of Season 4 onward that I thought was done particularly poorly, and it's not like they were in particularly short supply.
Yeah I meant Season 4. His final scene with Monte against the window as the entire Earth's ecosystem is falling apart was genuinely haunting to me.

Overall there's probably one season's worth of the finest young adult science fiction ever to make it on TV with this show, but it's spread out over seven seasons that feature some of the most infuriating storytelling and character development I've ever had the misfortune of viewing.

EDIT: Did you really feel like Bellamy's death was well done? Like I said that still makes me angry.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 24, 2023

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

pressedbunny posted:

Bellamy being killed off before the final was fine. Clarke shooting Bellamy was fine. Not having her really pay for it in any significant way, especially when he was right, was not fine.
Yeah alright, that's my feeling too. What's worse is that Echo and Octavia didn't just not murder Clarke instantly, but they're both like "You did the right thing, he wasn't Bellamy anymore", when in fact he experienced an actual, factual transcendent encounter that wound up being 100% accurate. And in the end there's no reflection on this, just moving on, and the final is treated as a happy ending as if there isn't a giant Bellamy shaped hole in the final scene.

You're not misremembering, it's exactly how that all happened.