Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
I'm catching on this show after being busy with other stuff with more than a year. I just watched episode 3 of Season 6. It's been pretty good and interesting so far. Best part: the guy in charge learning about Clarke's history of mass murder and immediately deciding "no, just no, get her the hell out of here."

More generally, I never thought I'd ever say this, but repeatedly blowing up the entire setting was the best thing to ever happen to this show. Things got so much better once the people in charge stopped trying to be Baby's Game of Thrones and J Roth had a chance to just make the sci-fi anthology series that he clearly always wanted to make. I'm disappointed to learn that next season will be the last, which means that I only get one more chance to see just what ridiculous plot twist the show is going to throw at us in the season finale, but despite some significant rough patches along the way, it's been a good ride so far. I think it would be really great if J Roth could go on to run something along the lines of The Twilight Zone, because I think this show demonstrates that he really is good at that sort of thing, and I think he'd be even better at it without having to figure out how to fit each crazy new premise into a pre-existing setting.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
I finished Season 6. Pretty good overall, though the ending felt a bit underwhelming. As has been the case since the Season 2 Finale, Murphy is the best part. "For the glory and grace of me."

And the big Season Ending Twist is...the space magic vortex thingy does freaky stuff with time, and Diyoza's baby is now all grown up, and Octavia may be (who are we kidding, probably not) dead. They could certainly take this in interesting directions next season, and I fully expect them to, but there's not a whole lot to go on right now. So still enjoying the show and cautiously optimistic over what's going to come next.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 17, 2019

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Just got caught up with episode 2. You can really tell that Jason is pulling as much stuff as he can out of his bag of ideas and putting them on the table as quickly as possible. The pacing feels a bit off right now, but we'll see how it works out going forward.

A rule of thumb when consuming pop sci-fi: if the characters start talking about black holes, just ignore any science stuff that they go on to say in the same scene. It'll save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

muscles like this! posted:

Also big lol at how Octavia is now 17 years older than she was at the start of the series and looks exactly the same.

To be fair, that just about matches her up with the age of her actress. Though I really don't know how old Octavia "should" look realistically. On the one hand, Octavia's had a much harder life than Marie has, on the other hand she had zero sun exposure for 22 years of that life, so...I have no idea how that balances out. This show is weird.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

As I suspected, Octavia coming out of the anomaly after just a few seconds in Season 6 screws all of the Sanctum:Bardo time dilation math up. Oh well.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
I watched the most recent episode. I had already predicted that The Shepherd would be Billy Cadogan, but him being alive is something that I hadn't expected. Well played, JRoth, well played.

I'm really looking forward to the next episode where we'll hopefully finally get it spelled out just what the connections are between Second Dawn, the Grounders, and the Disciples, and just why Cadogan felt like burning Becca at the stake. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be wild. This is your last chance, or one of your last few chances, at a Shocking Reveal, JRoth, swing for the fences!

And if the stuff about Bob is true, then yeah, that's awful. I can't really comment on it beyond that.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
My initial reaction: meh. I don't know any of these characters, and instead of major revelations it mostly just delivered more questions.

Also, the Grounder timeline still makes no sense. Even if we accept the rather strained handwaves for the language, the new problem is population numbers. Even with plenty of surplus land, natural population growth is really slow without modern medicine. Europe lost 30-50% of its population from the Black Death, and it took about a century for it to recover. Assuming a starting population of 2,500 and an extremely generous growth rate of 2% per year, over 97 years that gets you to 17,000 people. That's before you factor in deaths from inter-clan warfare and 56 years of hunting by Mount Weather.

Somewhere around 15k total people walking on the surface of the Earth, divided into 12 clans, and just one clan can produce an army of 300 warriors twice in a six-month period, have both of those armies killed to the last man, and not be totally devastated by that? And the Ice Nation stretches for "a thousand miles," all the way up into Canada? And people who want to get away from it all live in the desert or on oil rigs when they've got an almost entirely empty planet available?

So, nothing new, I guess.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 9, 2020

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
I have to say that I honestly did not expect that. I thought for sure that Bellamy would at least make it to the last episode.

There have been some cool moments so far, but I'm not really feeling the overall plotline. With it still being very vague on what the "last war" would entail, I don't really know what the stakes are. Maybe it'll work better when the season is done and you can watch it all in one block. We'll see.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

They did not do a good job justifying that death. Although really everything with Bellamy has been off this season.

Yeah, you can feel it with everything, but with Bellamy especially you get the sense that they're trying to cram 2-3 seasons worth of ideas into 16 episodes.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Just got caught up on the show. I'm afraid to say that I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed by the build-up to the finale. Again, I think that still only having the vaguest of details about what "The Last War" will entail makes it hard to get a sense of the stakes. It doesn't help that the concept was only introduced partway into this season.

Still, at the very least we have one last chance for a Shocking Reveal, and that's one of the things that this show has been consistently good at. And I really hope that Emori lives.

Also, I just looked up the cast of the Pilot, and of the 15 named characters in the first episode, only 4 are still alive heading into the series finale. Has a network TV show ever done this before? Sure, a number of shows have killed off most of the cast in the grand finale, but this level of cast turnover over a non-anthology show's run feels almost unprecedented.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Well, that was...that was something. I'm still processing it. It certainly wasn't the worst ending to a Sci-Fi show that I've ever seen.

If nothing else, Clarke getting officially declared to be the worst human in the universe is hilarious.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 1, 2020

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
I was thinking back on the whole series, and I realized that having the final moral be "leaving the physical world and ascending into a being-of-light immortal collective consciousness thing is good, actually" is a really awkward fit with the ending, and really entire premise, of Season 3.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Astroman posted:

It's amazing where they went from the initial concept. I wonder how long they had this stuff in mind? Easter Egging Cadogan so far back meant they had some idea, but I wonder just how much they planned out?

My guess is that Season 4 is when they came up with the ideas about Second Dawn and the off-world colonies, because they needed to figure out some way that they could continue the show after nuking the world a second time. We know that they didn't have this in mind from "the beginning," because the beginning was that a marketing team came up with the premise (yes, really) and gave it to both JRoth and Kass Morgan, and Morgan's book series went in a completely different direction. I also doubt they had any of the Season 5-7 stuff in mind during the first 3 seasons, because you would think they would have tossed in a mention at some point if they did.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
The other day my mind wondered back to this show, I looked on the internet for retrospectives and the like, and I stumbled upon this hilarious reaction video of a guy watching the first episode and then the last episode of the series, having only watched the first 2 seasons years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEo23TNTLvs

(Paraphrasing.) "They must have jumped like 12 sharks."

I, personally, would have phrased it a bit differently, but yeah, pretty much.

I also see that the prequel didn't get picked up. Not very surprising considering how low the ratings were during the final Season.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Another issue with a prequel based on the Grounders is that until the very last Season the show didn't commit to whether the Grounders were either random survivors on the ground who had "gone native", for lack of a better phrase (the clear intention during Season 1, where you had IE Anya and Tristan talking to each other in English when no Sky People are present) or the descendants of some special group that had survived through special circumstances and as a result developed a special culture, which is pretty much what they ended up going with in 7x08 after multiple hints in that direction over the course of the series.

Even in Season 4, which introduced Cadogan and Second Dawn and there were BTS photos had the Grounder Clan symbols in the Second Dawn bunker, you also had that shot at the end of 4x01 of Grounders in Egypt getting fried by the Death Wave.

IIRC the creator of Trigedasleng has said that if he had known from the start that the Grounder Language had originated as something just made up by a pre-war teenager, he would have designed the language totally differently.

The result of this was that only that one episode in the last Season, viewed by less than 700k people during its initial broadcast according to the available data, and presumably on Netflix viewed mostly only by the people who stuck to it through 7 seasons, was able to commit enough to actually set up plot hooks instead of just raising vague questions.

I haven't watched The Vampire Diaries, but I'm guessing that the backstory of the spinoff characters was more consistently presented? Glancing at the Fan Wiki, it seems like the concept of "The Originals" was first presented in Season Two, so fairly early on?

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

Also the best episode is the Season 3 episode where Jasper dies. I was legit stunned by how surprisingly elegiac the entire episode was.

I assume that you mean the Season 4 episode?

He was supposed to commit suicide at the last episode of Season 3, and the scene was actually filmed, but it was edited out before broadcast. That's still one of the weirdest aspects of this show's production, IMO, why it happened that way? My own theory is that the controversy over Lexa's death was loud enough that higher-ups at the CW noticed and passed instructions down the chain to "do something," and apart from dubbing in some lines between Clarke and Lexa while they were in The Matrix, all that they could think to do was remove another potentially controversial character death, and since the whole Season had already been filmed by that point the only death that was feasible to edit out was Jasper's.

I don't suppose that any new information about this has come to since the show's ending that I missed?

That aside, yeah, I agree that that episode was pretty well done. In hindsight, one good thing to come out of the controversies over Lexa and Lincoln's deaths in Season 3 was that they put more care into major character deaths going forward. I honestly can't think of a single one from the start of Season 4 onward that I thought was done particularly poorly, and it's not like they were in particularly short supply.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

EDIT: Did you really feel like Bellamy's death was well done? Like I said that still makes me angry.

I meant the death scene itself. My feelings are similar to pressedbunny on this:

pressedbunny posted:

The specific scene of Bellamy being killed was fine, because Clarke is a reactionary homicidal lunatic who had already proven many times that she'd do literally anything to anyone for Madi, and I like that even Bellamy wasn't an exception to that to that.
However, I don't like how it was handled after. It was out of character that Echo and Octavia didn't hack Clarke to pieces immediately, and then having Bellamy be right all along and not even getting to be part of the 'Finalkru' made his death feel very unbalanced. The second-main character of the story is killed, it's proven killing him was a gigantic and needless mistake, and the only cost is a few tears? Obviously it's been a couple of years so maybe I'm misremembering, but as I recall, Clarke got away with it essentially scot-free.
Shooting Bellamy wasn't even why she got left behind in the end, it was just one of many gently caress-ups she listed. She literally got punished more for shooting Cadogan. I like Clarke and got a kick out of her mass murdering ways, but man, she really needed to get some kind of direct and clear comeuppance. I don't think dying of old age with her friends and dog, knowing her daughter is now an immortal cosmic force, was really the punishment or penance the writers thought it was.

Bellamy being killed off before the final was fine. Clarke shooting Bellamy was fine. Not having her really pay for it in any significant way, especially when he was right, was not fine.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Shrimpy posted:

The main cast of The Originals are recurring characters starting in Season 2 that eventually get their backdoor pilot in Season 4.

Right, contrast with The 100, where we get a flashback episode focused on Bella in Season 3, that ends on a sort-of-cliffhanger with her meeting the guys in radiation suits. That thread doesn't get picked up until Season 5, where we get a brief flashback from Madi of Becca being burned at the stake by Cadogan. Which is a sort of plot hook, but also means that if they do do a prequel Becca can't be the main character, at least not for long, because they've already established that she got burned at the stake before too much time passed. Then they wait 2 more seasons, until the final season, to introduce their actual main character for the prequel. So the point stands, they waited too long to set up the elements for a backdoor pilot.

And again, I suspect that a significant part of this was that for a long time they didn't want to commit to a particular origin for the Grounders. In Season 1 they were pretty clearly intended as the descendants of people who survived on the ground through random luck and turned into low-tech tribal societies due to low population and a lack of resources, a common enough trope in this genre that it didn't raise too many questions. This continued into early Season 2, with Dante Wallace's exposition in the first episode and Trigedasleng, while weird, was clearly still descended from English and could have been justified under the "random survivors gone tribal" origin. IE drop Lincoln's "only our warriors speak English" line and make it a code language that the Woods Clan uses to secretly communicate and identify friend/foe and it would pretty much make sense apart from its conspicuous absence in Season 1 at moments where you'd think that it might have been useful to the Grounder characters (thinking in particular of Anya and Tristan talking to each other after Clarke and Finn and Lincoln run off into the mines).

Then late in Season 2 Lexa brings up a belief in reincarnation, which doesn't make sense at all for a society only a few generations removed from random residents of Northern Virginia without some kind of special explanation. Then in Season 3 we get more weirdness and the backstory with Becca, which raises even more questions. But then in Season 4x01 we get that ending shot of Grounders in Egypt getting fried by the Death Wave, which isn't impossible to reconcile with the origin that they ultimately went with, but is not a great fit no matter what explanation they might have come up with if the prequel had gotten picked up. Then in the rest of Season 4 and the aforementioned Season 5 flashback, strong hints that Cadogan and the Second Dawn were tied into the Grounder origin somehow, but no firm answers until 7x08. And it's hard to set up plot hooks for a prequel if you keep things that vague.

And by the way, I found commentary by David J. Peterson, the creator of Trigedasleng, on 7x08, which I referenced earlier. An interesting read:

quote:

If you watched episode 708, the backdoor pilot to the potential prequel series for The 100, and you've been following Trigedasleng for a bit, you're undoubtedly going to have a lot of questions. I'll try to anticipate and answer as many as I can.

First, it will help to remember that I was hired in between seasons 1 and 2—I was not a part of the show from the beginning—and that what you've seen in the latter seasons, in terms of new characters and plot arcs, wasn't planned at that time. This is the scenario I was given: There are humans in America (near D.C.) who survived the nuclear apocalypse. They speak a language that is noticeably distinct from English—but also familiar enough that English-speaking viewers will recognize some of it. There's been about 100 years between the apocalypse and the time of the show, and the apocalypse was our time plus 40 odd years. Also, all of these survivors seem to speak English fluently (that was canon from season 1).

That's a difficult position to be in, but recall that based on what we saw in season 1, they didn't need to have me on the show at all. Anyway, it was a fun exercise, and the result was Trigedasleng—mostly as you know it. (In truth, the original version I developed was different—it pushed the envelope further. Trigedasleng as it exists is a compromise between me and the writers at the time.) I hypothesized a potential scenario that led to the creation of the language, but it was rather informal. The hypothetical scenario was that if humans survived, but there aren't, like, billions of people on the planet, it stands to reason that some groups were more successful than others. Perhaps one of these groups developed a code to be able to distinguish themselves from outsiders—to tell who was in the group and who wasn't (imagining a doomsday society, it seemed like this might be a useful thing). This gave me license to change the meanings of words radically, while, at the same time, allowing me to apply more or less standard sound and grammar changes to English and blend the two: the code and usual language evolution.

That backstory was the backstory, more or less, for a few seasons, but as you can see, it lacks a lot of detail. It was more of a launching point.

At some point in time, Jason got an idea for how the series was going to end, and came up with the idea for a prequel, which necessitated revisiting the origins of Trigedasleng (after all, the prequel would be going to its birth). The most important details are laid out in this episode. Among them is that Callie Cadogan is herself a conlanger, and consciously created a language.

That changes things quite a bit from where Trig. started. First off, I had always imagined that Trig. would have been associated with a group like the Second Dawn—not a splinter group from the Second Dawn. At least, that was what I imagined at first. This, though, still works. More importantly, though, if you look at Trigedasleng as a language, it really is modern English with some sound changes, some grammatical changes, and some lexical quirks. Its content doesn't approximate something a beginning conlanger would create. (That is, most conlangers, when starting out, get a bit more creative, rather than modifying their own language.)

The big question: With this origin revealed, would I have done the same thing with Trigedasleng? The answer is no. It would have been far different. It would have looked like a beginning conlang that had actually been adopted by a group of speakers and turned into a full language. It would likely be largely a priori.

Having said that, something like that wouldn't have matched the expectations and desires of the writers back in the summer between seasons 1 and 2, so I'm not sure if I could have done something like that. An origin like this one wasn't anticipated at that time, so they certainly wouldn't have asked for something like that. And as a secondary observation, would the fans have responded to that kind of thing the way they did to Trig.? Somehow I doubt it. I certainly don't regret it.

The episode itself has one surviving line of the Proto-Trig I half-created, but there were more lines (including lines by Lucy, played by Defiance veteran and friend Nicole Muñoz!). I'm grateful that they were cut. If this moves forward as a series, I want that freedom. I think creating that linguistic situation will be an interesting project, and I think I'll be able to bring in more of Callie's original a priori conlang. (After all, just because most of her words didn't survive doesn't mean they were never there!)

In short, I like this origin story. Had I known it ahead of time, I would've done things differently, but I also don't regret what we have in Trig., and don't think it unnecessarily complicates things moving forward. We'll see if there's a next chapter!

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Mike the TV posted:

I'm willing to bet Bellamy was written to have died in a bad way because the actor was being accused of sexpesting at the time.

Interviews with JRoth and others make it clear that behind-the-scenes issues had something to do with it, though they're short on specifics.

And Bellamy wouldn't be an exception. Wells' death all the way back in 1x03 reportedly happened because between the shooting of the Pilot and the series being picked up Eli Goree decided to pursue some other gig that ultimately didn't end up working out. Thomas McDonell also reportedly asked to leave the show for personal reasons, and that's why Finn was killed off in Season 2. And we all know what happened with Alycia Debnam-Carey and Ricky Whittle. So quite a large portion of this show's major character deaths happened as a result of known behind-the-scenes issues. One wonders if there might have been more in the last 2 seasons if Eligius IV's cryo tubes and the Anomaly hadn't finally introduced ways to write important characters out of the story for significant periods of time other than death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

He thought that Clarke irradiating Mount Weather was the only logical thing to do. I’ve got a serial killer in my midst

Clearly he has to go wandering in the wilderness for the next 3 months then.

----

Thinking more about the prequel, I think that another major reason why it didn't get picked up is that the prequel likely wouldn't have what was probably the primary reason why this show lasted as long as it did: an ability to pull in new viewers on streaming (including me 7 years ago) and make them less likely to cancel their subscriptions. The opening premise is an interesting high concept sci-fi premise that was literally tailor made by a marketing team to bring in people hearing about it for the first time, and once a viewer has been pulled in it soon becomes apparent to them that every season after the first is a different high-concept sci-fi premise. If you like their implementation of even a few of the premises on offer, then that gives you an incentive to not cancel your Netflix subscription so that you can rewatch those seasons in the future, as the available alternative apart from going back to buying DVD box sets is spending $25 to buy each Season on-demand.

EDIT: A good illustration of this is how the show's schedule was moved to the Summer starting in Season 5. Which means that by the end of Season 4 ratings were low enough that CW executives didn't want the show to take up a slot in their Fall-Spring primetime lineup anymore. We almost certainly wouldn't have gotten the last 3 Seasons if Netflix hadn't been willing to pay as much for more seasons.

Whereas the premise of the prequel, presented without context to someone who hasn't seen the original series, would be a group of people trying to survive a recent apocalypse, a premise that has been done to death on TV by this point. "The Walking Dead without zombies", which is what the prequel show would look like to new viewers, seems unlikely to pull in a huge number of new viewers on Netflix.

So the prequel wouldn't have the elements that made other CW spin-offs successful, it wouldn't have the elements that made this show successful on streaming, it won't bring over fans of the characters of the original series because no recurring characters from the first 6 seasons, not even Becca, who died in the backdoor pilot, would play a large role in the prequel series (maybe Becca would have occasionally showed up as a Chip Ghost, but she already did that in the series itself, so who cares?), so it definitely wouldn't be another Better Call Saul. I can't blame CW executives for asking, "who is this for, exactly?"

INH5 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 31, 2023