Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0io2hr91O54

Risk of Rain 2 is the sequel to Risk of Rain, a very popular (if somewhat inscrutable) action rogue-lite. Like its predecessor, it features randomly generated levels, lots of powerful items that dramatically change the game, gigantic bosses, and time pressure difficulty that forces you to balance taking time to find more items vs. finishing the level before you get swamped with too many enemies.

Unlike its predecessor, Risk of Rain 2 is now in glorious 3D and features character models larger and more detailed than a few dozen pixels. The game is out now in Early Access, with a buy one, get one free deal, and already has an "Overwhelmingly Positive" rating on Steam. It already features 6 player classes, 75 items, 6 bosses, global weekly leaderboard runs, and co-operative online multiplayer.

Goon Discord for finding people to play with
Official Discord server for finding terrible people to play with
A list of items.
A list of equipment.

How to unlock the other classes:
Artificer - Collect 11 Lunar Coins and then find a strange blue rock that sometimes spawns in the level. Give 1 Lunar Coin to the blue rock, defeat the teleporter event, and then enter the Lunar Portal *instead* of the regular teleporter. Give the vendor 10 Lunar Coins in order to get the artificer.

Engineer - Clear 30 teleporter events.

Huntress - Defeat the third teleporter event without dying.

Mercenary - Loop through all the stages and enter the celestial portal if it appears at the snow stage, Rallypoint Delta. Once inside the Celestial Portal, sacrifice yourself at the Obelisk.

MUL-T - Defeat the first level's teleport boss five different times in five different games.

Alternatively:
Go to Computer > C > Programfiles > Steam > Userdata > [your profile] > 632360 >remote > UserProfiles > Open the only file in the folder with notepad and add whichever of the unlocks you want right above the </stats> line.

<unlock>Characters.Huntress</unlock>
<unlock>Characters.Engineer</unlock>
<unlock>Characters.Mercenary</unlock>
<unlock>Characters.Mage</unlock>
<unlock>Characters.Toolbot</unlock>

poemdexter posted:

For anyone else looking for a super easy way to get everything unlocked and/or set your lunar coins amount to whatever you want, I wrote up some quick instructions:

https://gist.github.com/poemdexter/4b452dec71847c5c3135feeca3b39df0

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game good

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
bought it for a friend and myself. too many games. will play later

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

RoR 1 owned hard, I was a little unsure of the move to 3D but from the ratings so far I'm willing to give it a shot.

Is the music in 2 as good?

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
Music good. 3D suprisingly good. Game good!

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Ms Adequate posted:

RoR 1 owned hard, I was a little unsure of the move to 3D but from the ratings so far I'm willing to give it a shot.

The same guy did the score: https://chrischristodoulou.bandcamp.com/album/risk-of-rain-2-early-access-ost

I'm really impressed at how well they translated this to 3D.

Has any one else gotten through the portal to the shop zone where you can spend lunar coins? I only had one so couldn't do anything there, how do often do lunar coins drop?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Awesome!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Ms Adequate posted:

Music is on par with maintaining the feel from 1.I personally like it so far. Like many goons have said and will continue to say, the transition from 2D-3D was nailed. Very much feels like an evolution without losing the core charm of the first game. Gameplay is nice and gets hectic really quick. It's reminiscent of the later Ratchet and Clank (maybe like Deadlocked and UYA) games where you're hopping around in all directions shooting things and spamming powers with a dozen modifiers going off at once.

I think the game could benefit from a few things, like outlining unopened chests from a distance. Aim assist for controllers would be nice too. Other than that, good good good.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

buglord posted:

Music is on par with maintaining the feel from 1.I personally like it so far. Like many goons have said and will continue to say, the transition from 2D-3D was nailed. Very much feels like an evolution without losing the core charm of the first game. Gameplay is nice and gets hectic really quick. It's reminiscent of the later Ratchet and Clank (maybe like Deadlocked and UYA) games where you're hopping around in all directions shooting things and spamming powers with a dozen modifiers going off at once.

I think the game could benefit from a few things, like outlining unopened chests from a distance. Aim assist for controllers would be nice too. Other than that, good good good.

Yeah, there is plenty of smaller quality of life things that would be helpful. Probably out of scope for v1.0 but an Apex-style non-verbal system of calling out and marking upgrades/the teleporter would be super useful.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Reviews thus far are extremely positive, I'm probably gonna have to pick this up.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The first one was extremely confusing to me but I had fun. I loved the art style hopefully this is good too, I'll pick it up soon.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The trailer is giving me some EDF vibes and now I'm excited. Loved the first game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well this is a surprise. RoR1 ruled/rules and if consensus is that this rules I'm onboard.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

space marine todd posted:

Yeah, there is plenty of smaller quality of life things that would be helpful. Probably out of scope for v1.0 but an Apex-style non-verbal system of calling out and marking upgrades/the teleporter would be super useful.

It doesn’t seem too out of reach. If anything being able to just emote “found this-dibs” or “found this - take it” would go a long way.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

One thing I wish is when you die I want to be able to see a full model of your character at the time of your death so you can see all the items you had

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
It's definitely early access and the game levels currently just loop instead of progressing towards any sort of endgame but what's there so far is a hoot.

Buy before the 30th to get a free extra copy of the game you can give away to a pal.

Also there's already active players of this game in the Serious Overchill goon discord: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794007

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

jokes posted:

Well this is a surprise. RoR1 ruled/rules and if consensus is that this rules I'm onboard.

it rules.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

For the low, low price of $2300, you too can have a gigantic loving drone with multiple weapon systems (for size comparison, you can see a typically sized drone on the right side of the image under an orange caret).

The only problem? It gets owned by cave geometry:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
holy gently caress magma worm :supaburn:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Game good

I look forward to seeing Studio drop his run at the next gdq :getin:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

game is fun as hell, honestly the lack of level variety is the only thing that feels particularly "early access", everything else is fukken solid. huntress is so much more fun than the default guy it ain't even funny

character unlock tip: save up 11 of the special coin things; they persist between playthroughs. you need 1 to open a portal to a secret shop and 10 to actually unlock a dude. everybody else you'll basically just get over the course of playing.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hmm. played a quick round tonight though i won’t really be able to dig in until the weekend

played a lot of RoR1. tried busting out controller for this one too but the change to 3d means i wasn’t really feeling it and having a hard time aiming. also the abilities are kinda listed like RB LB instead of LB RB so i kept pressing the wrong buttons. also the cooldowns are stuffed way in the corner of the screen so i had a hard time keeping track of when abilities were coming back up. i switched to keyboard and mouse but then i kept hitting shift to sprint and just rolling instead.

some of this can be fixed with rebounding some controls but really not liking how spread out the UI is at the moment

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Game is seriously addictive. It does feel like a proper translation from the 2d game to 3d, unlike, let's say, the 3d Metal Slug.

That was bad.

Not sure if the soundtrack will be as likeable out of the game as the original was, but I will surely be paying Chris Christodolou one of these days to get it on bandcamp.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Kaubocks posted:

hmm. played a quick round tonight though i won’t really be able to dig in until the weekend

played a lot of RoR1. tried busting out controller for this one too but the change to 3d means i wasn’t really feeling it and having a hard time aiming. also the abilities are kinda listed like RB LB instead of LB RB so i kept pressing the wrong buttons. also the cooldowns are stuffed way in the corner of the screen so i had a hard time keeping track of when abilities were coming back up. i switched to keyboard and mouse but then i kept hitting shift to sprint and just rolling instead.

some of this can be fixed with rebounding some controls but really not liking how spread out the UI is at the moment

The default keybinds don't really work for me. I moved sprint to shift, the movement skill to the side-back mouse button, and the big damage skill to the side-front mouse button on my G930.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Had a boatload of fun, but the mercenary is just really frustrating to play. There are too many enemies like the magma worm that you get to just not bother with because you can't really get close enough to hit it with your sword for any extended period of time. Definitely not a dude to solo with, which makes me sad. Everyone else seems good for basically anything, although I haven't even seen the mage yet.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

game rules.

can't wait for the command rune to come out so i can crash the game with how many missiles my commando is shooting out.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I'd worry about burning out during EA, but given I was gleefully putting another ten hours into RoR1 in the hype-run for this and the game plays even better than I expected I think we're safe. Also yeah, someone put up a Risk of Goons Discord or something.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
picked this up, two hours of running around shooting crap happened and then i got drymouth and hand cramps and had to stop

put some outlines on chests and teleporters so i'm not running around for fifteen minutes because i forgot where it was and i'm ready to call this goty

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Abuse 3D printers, some things are hilarious when super stacked. 15 gasoline cans explode some several hundred % of damage in a ~170M radius. Really helps with crowd control as you get into impossible and higher difficulties.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Shrine of order can be similarly funny

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Sextro posted:

Abuse 3D printers, some things are hilarious when super stacked. 15 gasoline cans explode some several hundred % of damage in a ~170M radius. Really helps with crowd control as you get into impossible and higher difficulties.

11 goat hooves made me sprint around at something like 400% speed.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Haven't gotten multiple AGM's yet but from the description it doesn't seem like the chance for missiles increases anymore? Or maybe it's just a seperate % for each of them to fire.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yes... Yes!!!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
If any one is wondering why the Devs moved to 3d:

The Devs admitted the game started out as with side-view but wanted the ability to show all the items on the character. It was nearly impossible to do that in 2D view so here we are in 3D!

The game is really fun but I wish they would add a better visual indicated to the teleporter. I've said as much on the official Discord so if you have any suggestion place go there and let the devs know.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

BexGu posted:

The Devs admitted the game started out as with side-view but wanted the ability to show all the items on the character. It was nearly impossible to do that in 2D view so here we are in 3D!

That's a weird way to say "We wanted huntress' huge rear end to be more obvious"

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

thank you for the heads-up i didn't even have this on my radar and now i own it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This game loving owns in pretty much every way, probably the best early access game I've ever bought.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Nalesh posted:

That's a weird way to say "We wanted huntress' huge rear end to be more obvious"

It’s okay as long as everyone’s huge rear end is just as visible

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Man, no one is on when I am. But I got to my first loop around in levels! Now to wait until I unlock literally anything else than survivor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I was a big fan of the original and will probably pick this up when I get home. Does it still scale up to ludicrous damage and obscene numbers of bad guys?